Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Your Very First Impression of the Stones and Their Music
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: September 4, 2011 21:28

Think back to that first Stones song you heard, or your first impression after seeing them on television or concert, and tell us what you thought of them way back then.

I was a Beatles fan in the sixties, and the Stones music seemed off key, too loud, and too rough at the edges. By rough at the edges, it seemed to lack a lot of harmonizing and seemed little rehearsed. I also thought they were trying to mimic the Beatles.

Later on, something clicked inside my brain and I suddenly saw what the Stones were all about. I have been a fan ever since that time.

Re: Your Very First Impression of the Stones and Their Music
Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: September 4, 2011 22:37

im young.born in 1979.it was..i think couple of years after millenium...riff of "brown sugar"
Of course,in my younger life,i knew what they ment for western culture....but the music...
i bought bridges to babylon in 1997...but it was boring....after that shock of "brown sugar" i loved bridges to babylon.And all their albums.

Posted by: hedegaard ()
Date: September 4, 2011 23:10

I was a little boy - my sister about 15 - and she played their/hers first single "Come On" very loud at her room - just after school, and I was lost!
Since then I had some very hard years ( after starting in scool) - all my friends were Beatles fans - and they did´nt like Stones AT ALL! Before that I was listining to my brothers Chuck Berry collection. Bt.w my first single was "Se you later aligator" with Bill Haley. My mother bought it to me when I was 4 years old!
So as said : NEVER TO OLD (or young) TO ROCK ´N ROLL)

cheers Bo smileys with beer

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 4, 2011 23:38

The Stones existed before I was born but I didn't become a fan until high school, but one of my memories from about age 9 was seeing Mick on TV and thinking, "What a creepy looking guy!"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 5, 2011 00:06

When I first saw them, among the regular rotation of British Invasion acts on the Ed Sullivan show, they didn't particularly stand out. I remember my father's sarcastic comment, calling them 'The Strolling Bones'. They were just another flavor of the month, no better no worse than Freddie and The Dreamers, the Seekers, Gerry & the Pacemakers. I definitely didn't elevate them to the level of the Dave Clark Five. 'Time Is On My Side' is the first song I remember and it didn't leave a big impression. For some reason I took a liking to 'Heart of Stone', but not in a big way.

'Satisfaction' changed everything, of course. I'm a Midwesterner and we were seriously into garage rock along the lines of Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels. Satisfaction had that kinship tough edge we were into. And of course Satisfaction had sexual connotations we liked. (I was 11 when it came out). Then they had a bunch of radio friendly hits, but nothing to put them in the Beatles class, which was singular. It wasn't until I flipped over a friends JJF 45 and listened to 'You Can't Always Get What You Want' that I realized they were producing some grand music. But there was a vague feeling of trying to emulate the Beatles.

It was getting the Let It Bleed album that changed everything. And Get Yer Yas Yas Out is what made me a fan for life.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: September 5, 2011 01:20

I was about 8 or 9 ..In my Grandmother's basement saw Big Hits High Tide & Green Grass on the turntable. The album cover was on top of the turntable. My uncle said never touch his records. Well, in the past I saw him click the button on the turntable and the tone arm went by itself on the record...So tecnically I wasn't touching the record!! I heard 19th Nervous Breakdown and the rest of side two many times...It took me months to get up enough nerve to flip the record to side 1.

Soulsurvivor

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: September 5, 2011 01:23

Emulate the Beatles? How do you figure...THe Beatles were playing pure POP at that time & The Stones were playing Blues & Blues based Rock.

Soulsurvivor

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: September 5, 2011 02:14

flilflam
Think back to that first Stones song you heard, or your first impression after seeing them on television or concert, and tell us what you thought of them way back then.

Raw, Rough, and Ready.

Aware, Late '70s. "Satisfaction", great, but more than meets the ear. Methinx the first LP I picked up was, "Through the Past, Darkly". Very punk.

Early stuff, especially. Catchier than The Beatles, but never uprooted 'em.

Then came, "Miss You". Obviously disco, but very catchy and GREAT harp'n'vocals.

Whatever happened to the blonde guy? I dug deeper.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 5, 2011 03:13

soulsurvivor1
Emulate the Beatles? How do you figure...THe Beatles were playing pure POP at that time & The Stones were playing Blues & Blues based Rock.
Soulsurvivor

You Can't Always Get What You Want? It has orchestration and swooping vocals. And Satanic Majesties had just been panned as a weak attempt at Sgt. Pepper. The Beatles were also playing some Blues based rock on the White Album. The Stones didn't really come from under the Beatles shadow internationally until Honky Tonk Women, which has a real big 'Beatlesque' production to it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 5, 2011 03:45

Hey that's my kinda racket ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 5, 2011 09:40

I was a "lucky" owner of a coupla of Beatles-singles in the autumn -64 when I heard 'Little Red Rooster' with Stones on radio...on the same time a class-mate told me he had Stones debut-album on tape...after listening to that tape I forgot all about Beatles for a while...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: September 5, 2011 11:47

Rockman
Hey that's my kinda racket ....

Exactly my thoughts when I heard the opening chords of Rough Justice thumbs up

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: September 5, 2011 15:30

The Beatles played Chuck Berry and others at the Star Club.

Posted by: UnionHall ()
Date: September 5, 2011 15:55

My first experience with the Stones was when my mom bought me the album Now. Up to this point I really knew nothing about them as I was into the Dave Clark 5. I played the album and absolutely hated it! My opinion was that they were a bunch of hillbillies! As I grew older and wiser and became more familiar with their music I discovered that the songs I heard on Now didn't resemble the music they were currently making and began buying up their albums, I believe beginning with Between the Buttons. The only "early" Stones albums I own are Now and December's Children. I have everything from Aftermath, with the exception of any live or compilation that has been issued since Still Life.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 5, 2011 17:03

When I was about six [1965] I thought Mick was one of the best clowns I'd ever seen.
I began to appreciate them for other things when I was about twelve.

It's always been about the unique sound of the band for me...almost regardless of the songs or style of music they're playing.

That big, disturbing, nasty ball of noise !

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 5, 2011 18:22

flilflam

I was a Beatles fan in the sixties, and the Stones music seemed off key, too loud, and too rough at the edges. By rough at the edges, it seemed to lack a lot of harmonizing and seemed little rehearsed. I also thought they were trying to mimic the Beatles.

Later on, something clicked inside my brain and I suddenly saw what the Stones were all about. I have been a fan ever since that time.

I was 13 years old, waiting outside a school library just before taking an exam, heard Jumpin Jack Flash on a radio playing somewhere in the one of the nearby classrooms. Couldn't get the song out of my mind, and life ain't been quite the same since ... I'm 56 now. But by some miracle I DID pass the exam though !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 6, 2011 00:11

In 1973 i was 7 and I hated "Angie". Jagger's voice was weird to me...and I remember seeing the video, where Jagger would come up to the camera and almost sneer at you. Hated it....What's strange is that it had such a strong effect on me. I didn't just not like the song, Jagger really bothered me.
What did I know? I guess that was the perfect introduction.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 6, 2011 05:00

24FPS
soulsurvivor1
Soulsurvivor

You Can't Always Get What You Want? It has orchestration and swooping vocals. And Satanic Majesties had just been panned as a weak attempt at Sgt. Pepper. The Beatles were also playing some Blues based rock on the White Album. The Stones didn't really come from under the Beatles shadow internationally until Honky Tonk Women, which has a real big 'Beatlesque' production to it.

I don't agree at all.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: September 6, 2011 05:41

flilflam

I am thinking whenever they first appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show, or whenever, their first single hit the USA? I was definitely a fan but they were only in my top ten back then and not number #1 as they are today. They moved to #1 when I saw the HBO concert in 2003 and remain there with The Beatles and The Sonics.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: September 6, 2011 06:00

I have an older brother and sister who are 7 and 8 years older then me respectively. Since they were teenagers during the 60's, they played the popular music of the day; Beatles, Stones, Who, and on and on. It was a wonderful education, the influence of which is with me to this day. My earliest musical memories are of the music emanating from behind their bedroom doors, the entrance to which I was denied. So I would sit outside their doors and listen to the music. Ahhhh, heaven it was! My earliest Stones memory is of my older brother singing the words to 'Jumping Jack Flash' at the dinner table, this is in 1968, with all the zeal of a Baptist preacher at a revival meeting. I could see that he was enthusiastic and that it was...contagious.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 6, 2011 12:14

BANG !

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: September 6, 2011 12:20

I had been listening to Sgt. Pepper, Help, Abbey Road and the White Album - those albums opened the door for me to rock music.

After playing those albums to death I heard my mom play Worried About You from the living room.

I started listening to Tattoo You, and it was a click at first listen. Then I got Undercover as a christmas present in 1983. It was a done deal (as Mickscarey would say). It was the beginning of the love affair between the Stones and me.

After that, I went out and bought all of the albums. What an exciting time, listening to the albums in the record stores with headphones, being completely lost in Stonesland!

I miss those times, although I'm still playing the albums pretty frequently.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: September 6, 2011 12:40

Growing up in 1962/63 at High School all you heard about was how fab the Beatles were and no one else existed.
I never really followed the crowd and liked to make up my own mind and the Beatles singing about She Loves Me and I Want to Hold your hand did not click with myself.
First heard Come On and thought it was commercial sugar and I Wanna be Your Man had a bit of a kick to it but nothing special -
Not Fade Away converted me to start to become a Stones fan but although i bought their first album it was nothing special.
Things started to change with Its All Over Now,Little Red Rooster and the Last Time which made all the kids get up onto the dance floor including myself.
Then came the big three singles that made their mark for the Stones worldwide
i.e.Satisafction,Get off of my Cloud and Paint it Black.

By end 1965 the Stones had a lot of additional fans and the single Paint it Black in 1966 added fuel to the fire.
Pyscodelic 1967 was a lost time for the Stones and it was not until Jumpin Jack Flash in 1968 that you felt that they had been resurrected.
This is where they started to really come into their own as songwriters with Beggars Banquet,Let it Bleed and Stick Fingers.
Honky Tonk Women bears absolutely no comparison to the Beatles Soul Survivor but is the Stones at their raunchiest rocking best.
B sides of their singles in the UK were always a bonus such as Play with Fire,Spider & the Fly,As Tears go Bye and YCALGWYW.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-06 20:21 by stones40.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: September 6, 2011 14:02

1978... the fist impression was... oh my god. it´s the best music ever.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: September 6, 2011 19:23

I was 10 years old ( 1964) when I got the "Carol" riff by Keith right in my head and ears. Knocked out...

Posted by: Mick The Lip ()
Date: September 6, 2011 19:34

I was 12 when I bought Flowers ...... hit me 'so much the contrast between the anger that was visible from certain songs and the sweetness of others as Backstreet Girl. I realized immediately that it was my band and the choice was not only music but also for what the Stones social represented at the times that totally reflected on my character. They were the soundtrack of my life and through the years I saw them exactly fifty times all around the world, became a collector of their records and not just and at the end I formed a Rolling Stones tribute band

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: September 7, 2011 18:48

"Brown Sugar" playing on the radio in the family car (station wagon, wood on the side) on a summer vacation. Wildly exciting music! I couldn't understand why no one else in the fam was feeling it. My brothers and sister were teenagers in the 70's but weirdly they were never hard-core rock fans as I later became (I was the youngest of four). My sister even went so far as to say Mick was "disgusting" which I thought was blasphemous!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2280
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home