Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Sinister Beauty of UNDERCOVER
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: August 31, 2011 20:05

That was a terrific review. To me, he really "got" the album.

Undercover is one of my favorite Stones records, and it's their best 80's record (even better than Tattoo You IMO). The band sounds energized and tough, even if I don't like all of the production. And it sounds positively Stones! For example, "Cherry Oh Baby" from B&B is them trying to sound like an island reggae band, but on here, "Feel On Baby" sounds like the Stones are a reggae group and not trying to be one. And even if "Too Much Blood" is a shameless Thriller-rip off I still think it grooves nicely.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 31, 2011 20:41

Good Album, Half-assed Review. Doesn't even mention She was hot.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 31, 2011 20:52

Undercover of the Night is a great song!

... and the 89' Atlantic City performance is fantastic, full of energy and bite!

thumbs up

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 31, 2011 21:29

Would be interested in Sir Rockman's thoughts on the video.
He's probably out for a long lunch with one of his secretaries.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: August 31, 2011 21:47

As much as I like UC. I don't think the band ever recovered from it not being a smash #1 album, especially Jagger. They've never been as confident as recording band since IMHO. I liked how used the "cellophane trousers" B&B outtake as the foundation for "Too Tough."

One thing about UC it's not a subtle album. I think that and the 80's production alienated the 70's, 60s fans and in a year dominated by lightweight pop and the beginning stages of hair metal really worked against it being the multi-platinum juggernaut the band probably expected it to be.

Also, releasing it in early November is a bit of head scratcher as well. It was their latest calendar year release date for a studio album since Let It Bleed came out in Dec. '69-which was also their last studio album in US not to hit #1 up to that time. But wasn't it LZ II that kept LIB from the top spot in the US?

Date: August 31, 2011 21:54

Come On
'All the way down' is one good song, but this album is a mess like most albums from 1982-1988...cool smiley

Lack of good songs?

I never understood why the title track, She Was Hot, Tie You Up, Feel On Baby, Pretty Beat Up and Too Tough weren´t great songs. Please explain!

IMO, She Was Hot is perfection, Tie You Up at the next level and Pretty Beat Up has a swing beyond what´s possible to expect (and that MEAN Keith-bass is awesome).

AND: The title track has Jagger´s best vocals ever, imo.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 31, 2011 22:57

big4
Also, releasing it in early November is a bit of head scratcher as well. It was their latest calendar year release date for a studio album since Let It Bleed came out in Dec. '69-which was also their last studio album in US not to hit #1 up to that time. But wasn't it LZ II that kept LIB from the top spot in the US?

The competition was so hard in late 1983, Undercover had smash hit albums ahead like Synchronicity, Thriller and Can't Slow Down just like Let It Bleed had Abbey Road and LZ II in 1969.
Even a smash hit as Some Girls barely spent 2 weeks at #1 against the monsters Saturday Night Fever and Grease.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 1, 2011 00:01

I think Undercover is Jagger's mid life Stones crisis + bad advice, and maybe Keith Richards first of many capitulations (you gotta nip it in the butt Keith).....She Was Hot is great, classic stones, but the rest was like stir fry.....

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 1, 2011 00:23

Always been in my top three along with GHS & Black & Blue since it came out....IMO it's Exile grown up, makes all previous albums sound slightly repressed. Totally wild and as the reviewer said,,,beautiful. GHS has that beauty but not the wildness, Black and Blue has wildness but not enough to be beautiful...........IMO....for me it was on this album that the Stones finally let rip.............and the only thing wrong with it is it wasn't a double,

Also absolutely loved that 12" reggae version of Feel on..........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-01 01:57 by EddieByword.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: September 1, 2011 01:04

horrible album!

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 1, 2011 01:41

Vocalion
Last Big One

Agree.
This was the last time I heard that first glimpse (Undercover on the radio) and got really excited. It sounded raw, dangerous and ballsy and Jagger's vocals still had that rough growl.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 1, 2011 03:15

DragonSky
Title5Take1
I heard this tale second hand—it includes an UNDERCOVER reference—and it's to be taken with a pinch of salt (I've heard similar celebrity "hang out" tales from people that I later learned were total BS). But it might be true.

An acquaintance who knows I"m a Stones fan told me a guy he knew years before told him the following tale. This American guy told my acquaintance, "I was visiting Jamaica and was at a gathering, and to my surprise, Keith Richards was there. And I actually got to talking to him and he was a really nice guy. And he invited me on his boat. And so I ended up offshore with Keith Richards and others on his boat as it cruised along the shore. And inside this boat Keith was very generous with his weed and booze, and he was talking about the album the Stones had just finished recording, but was not yet released. Keith said it had taken the Stones into new territory, and Keith was really proud of it." This is where I grilled my acquaintance about when this Keith encounter happened, and from what he told me it sounded around the time of UNDERCOVER. So it was likely UNDERCOVER Keith was talking about. Anyway, the tale ended this way, "Because Keith was so generous with his booze and drugs, I ended up passing out. And the next thing I know, I awoke on the beach alone. Keith obviously had me carried off the boat."

My acquaintance certainly believed the guy. But true or not? Maybe....

According to LIFE, Keith has only ever had a boat in France. So, going by LIFE, not true.

Okay, but in LIFE Keith talks of having a splitting headache on a boat just after cracking his head on that tree in Fiji. So who knows? ("His" boat might have meant "day rental." )

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 1, 2011 03:27

Title5Take1
DragonSky
Title5Take1
I heard this tale second hand—it includes an UNDERCOVER reference—and it's to be taken with a pinch of salt (I've heard similar celebrity "hang out" tales from people that I later learned were total BS). But it might be true.

An acquaintance who knows I"m a Stones fan told me a guy he knew years before told him the following tale. This American guy told my acquaintance, "I was visiting Jamaica and was at a gathering, and to my surprise, Keith Richards was there. And I actually got to talking to him and he was a really nice guy. And he invited me on his boat. And so I ended up offshore with Keith Richards and others on his boat as it cruised along the shore. And inside this boat Keith was very generous with his weed and booze, and he was talking about the album the Stones had just finished recording, but was not yet released. Keith said it had taken the Stones into new territory, and Keith was really proud of it." This is where I grilled my acquaintance about when this Keith encounter happened, and from what he told me it sounded around the time of UNDERCOVER. So it was likely UNDERCOVER Keith was talking about. Anyway, the tale ended this way, "Because Keith was so generous with his booze and drugs, I ended up passing out. And the next thing I know, I awoke on the beach alone. Keith obviously had me carried off the boat."

My acquaintance certainly believed the guy. But true or not? Maybe....

According to LIFE, Keith has only ever had a boat in France. So, going by LIFE, not true.

Okay, but in LIFE Keith talks of having a splitting headache on a boat just after cracking his head on that tree in Fiji. So who knows? ("His" boat might have meant "day rental." )

Nothing to say about the boat as I don't know anything but I did read an interview with Keith some years ago where he said the same about breaking new ground (with Undercover) (which I agree with) and he said Mick really surpassed himself with the lyrics, on fire........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-01 03:28 by EddieByword.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 1, 2011 04:10

stupidguy2
Vocalion
Last Big One

Agree.
This was the last time I heard that first glimpse (Undercover on the radio) and got really excited. It sounded raw, dangerous and ballsy and Jagger's vocals still had that rough growl.

The vocals were great, the guitars ripped, Too Tough is excellent and shoulda been a single alongside of Undercover of the Night and She's Was Hot (certainly ahead of Too Much Blood).
I really love this album.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: September 1, 2011 04:15

She Was Hot alone makes it a great album, but I never really cared about Undercover of the Night. It seems forced and too polished.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 1, 2011 05:42

treaclefingers
stupidguy2
Vocalion
Last Big One

Agree.

The vocals were great, the guitars ripped, Too Tough is excellent and shoulda been a single alongside of Undercover of the Night and She's Was Hot (certainly ahead of Too Much Blood).
I really love this album.

"All the Way Down" is a gem, Jagger's rapid-fire phrasing and funny/nostalgic lyrics are priceless. A very underrated song.

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: September 1, 2011 06:35

Great review
She Was Hot and All the Way Down are as good as it gets.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 1, 2011 08:10

DandelionPowderman
Come On
'All the way down' is one good song, but this album is a mess like most albums from 1982-1988...cool smiley

Lack of good songs?

I never understood why the title track, She Was Hot, Tie You Up, Feel On Baby, Pretty Beat Up and Too Tough weren´t great songs. Please explain!

IMO, She Was Hot is perfection, Tie You Up at the next level and Pretty Beat Up has a swing beyond what´s possible to expect (and that MEAN Keith-bass is awesome).

WOW! Have you even heard for example 'Out of our Heads'?
Some excellent singing on 'That's How Strong My Love Is' from Sir Jagger there too...I even dare to say that's hundred times better singing than 'Undercover of the night'...

Date: September 1, 2011 10:38

Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

Lack of good songs?

WOW! Have you even heard for example 'Out of our Heads'?
Some excellent singing on 'That's How Strong My Love Is' from Sir Jagger there too...I even dare to say that's hundred times better singing than 'Undercover of the night'...

I love OOOH, especially the UK-version. But frankly, I think Mick is sounding like a kid on THSMLI compared to Otis. But it's a great album.

In no way (technical, finesse, feeling, maturity, credibility, musicality or trustworthiness) is Jagger sounding better on THSMLI than on Undercover Of The Night, imo.

When that is said, I really dig that you find such beauty in the song, and especially that album, which is also one of my favorites thumbs up

Undercover is also one of my favorite albums.

Date: September 1, 2011 10:48

Fair enough D Powderman thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Date: September 1, 2011 10:59

Best 80's album.

BTW - I meant Best STONES album from 80's. (We all know "Wake Me Up Before You GoGo" was the best)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-03 02:21 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: September 1, 2011 11:03

Palace Revolution 2000
Best 80's album.

Nope, it's Oh Mercy from Bob Dylan...smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 1, 2011 16:22

Palace Revolution 2000
Best 80's album.

I think I like Tattoo You better marginally, but that doesn't take anything away from Undercover.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 1, 2011 18:07

The last record where Jagger put thought into what he was doing. The band as well.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: September 1, 2011 18:17

treaclefingers
DragonSky
Their last truly solid album. Especially considering the tour they just finished - Undercover is a 180 in the right (better) direction.

Too bad they left that mentality in 1983 and have been on cruise control ever since.

or 'autopilot'. a good description. they've hardly put out any music in the last 25 years, and most of it has been 'by numbers'. I've liked most of it, and some occasionally great songs, but 'the work' has been put into the shows, not new music, which is a shame. I think it comes down to the dysfunctional Mick/Keith relationship.

Yep. That's it. Mick's solo material with the Stones and Keith having to accept that and do his best. And do his own solo material. Very little actual Jagger/Richards writing, with of course the odd song here and there.

The albums have been the excuse to tour. Except for that one in 2002. Oh wait - that's right - they did four NEW songs for a double greatest hits!

Nobody cared. Don't Stop? Where the hell is Heartbreaker?

Although they sort of had an artistic identity left with Voodoo Lounge, the tour - and all following that - was only about the money. Autopilots For Cash should be the next tour name.

Still, there have been some pretty good autopilot moments...but nothing like they used to be when they actually had interest in playing the songs, not copying the songs.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1351
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home