Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Are The Stones dead as a band?
Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: August 19, 2011 15:48

Mick's with Superheavy
Charlie's happy a his family and his horses
Keith's retired in Connecticut
Ronnie's with The Faces

So....

Keith once said in an inteview "A band that doesn't record and tour isn't a band".

So what are The Stones - History?

P.S.: I'm glad having been at last O2 show, which in my opinion was the last Rolling Stones show.

Re: Are The Stones dead as a band?
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 19, 2011 15:59

No.

Date: August 19, 2011 16:07

They've been dead many times, but they're always waking up from the dead. I except them to do it again.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 19, 2011 16:07

We have this on a weekly basis, and the answer is always the same - no one knows, the band don't even know. Even the prognosis for the future is uncertain, some think they will get back together for the final push, others think its finished. Hope this answers your question drinking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 19, 2011 16:11

They stopped being a band when they split up in mid 80's. They didn't announce it as a split, but that's what it was.

What followed from 90's onwards was more a nostalgia, business thing.

50th anniversary my arse.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 19, 2011 16:25

I personally don't think so. But I don't have any real reason to think that the Stones will start up again. I just hope they will.

We wouldn't be here on this board if we weren't interested in them, and that interest does lead to the question this thread poses.

They may want to celebrate 50 years soon, and do something. I hope they'll plan to include Bill And Mick T.

But the real sad thing is there seems to be a consensus that Keith can't play...
at least not well and consistently enough to tour.

We'll see soon enough.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 19, 2011 17:34

There was some rust to be kicked off on the Steel Wheels tour, but they finally got it together. Expect the same, maybe more next time around. This will be their longest break in band history. Their best tour post Wyman was No Security, and that came on the heels of a lot of touring. If they do tour in 2012 I would expect a redux of Steel Wheels, a royal 'Look, it's the Rolling Stones!', rather than a band with its chops totally up to speed.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 19, 2011 17:47

Never kick a dog when it's down lest it gets up and kicks your ass!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-19 21:17 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 19, 2011 17:52

Semi retired, they are not currently active but not dead either.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: August 19, 2011 18:00

24FPS
There was some rust to be kicked off on the Steel Wheels tour, but they finally got it together. Expect the same, maybe more next time around. This will be their longest break in band history.

Tattoo You tour, 1982, to 1989 Steel Wheels tour was their longest so far. That's seven years (plus a few months). So far it's been four years. It won't be seven years again until 2014, at which point regardless of this 2012 50 year BS, there won't be anymore Rolling Stones anyway.

And I would love to be shown/proven wrong about them NOT doing anything in 2012. It just doesn't seem like they're going to do anything new again.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: August 19, 2011 18:02

Yay, the semi-weekly thread on this topic.

Let's put it this way- if they can record a worthwhile album of new material and tour behind that, then by all means do it. If all they have to offer is a nostalgia tour with yet another "greatest hits" or "best of" package or a re-issued and remastered old album and a couple of "new" previously unreleased songs dusted off from somewhere and added to it, then stay home Stones, because I'm not going to pay $200-300 a ticket to see essentially the same 18 song show I've seen several times before.

I can see the 2012 tour now, promoting a "new" resissue of Some Girls, with two new added previously unreleased tracks recorded during that time but gathering dust in the vaults. "Some Guys" with guest David Bowie and "Where Did Our Love Go", the old Supremes song re-made by Keith during a period of separation from Mick.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 19, 2011 18:03

Dead as a doornail until they decide otherwise.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 19, 2011 18:08

Edith Grove

Sharp as always smileys with beer Cheers mate

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: August 19, 2011 18:08

Yes, it's most definitely over! At least that's the word on the street. Time to move on.

Date: August 19, 2011 18:10

DragonSky
24FPS
There was some rust to be kicked off on the Steel Wheels tour, but they finally got it together. Expect the same, maybe more next time around. This will be their longest break in band history.

Tattoo You tour, 1982, to 1989 Steel Wheels tour was their longest so far. That's seven years (plus a few months). So far it's been four years. It won't be seven years again until 2014, at which point regardless of this 2012 50 year BS, there won't be anymore Rolling Stones anyway.

And I would love to be shown/proven wrong about them NOT doing anything in 2012. It just doesn't seem like they're going to do anything new again.

Mick is done with Keith, end of story.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: August 19, 2011 18:13

This is kinda familiar from the eighties so I'm not really that worried. And if they decide to call it a day then that's their decision. Since 1981 the press has thought that the tour ongoing then was to be their last, so I'm happy that they're lasted even until these days.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 19, 2011 18:15

thewatchman

LOL, no way

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: August 19, 2011 18:16

DandelionPowderman
They've been dead many times, but they're always waking up from the dead. I except them to do it again.

Sorry to say there will be no more awakenings. Time to move on. SuperHeavy is the future! Maybe Keith can join?

Date: August 19, 2011 18:17

crumbling_mice
We have this on a weekly basis, and the answer is always the same - no one knows, the band don't even know. Even the prognosis for the future is uncertain, some think they will get back together for the final push, others think its finished. Hope this answers your question drinking smiley

Someone does know! They are done!

Date: August 19, 2011 18:20

Edith Grove

I am afraid it has already been decided and I think you know who "The Decider" is!

Date: August 19, 2011 18:21

thewatchman
Edith Grove

I am afraid it has already been decided and I think you know who "The Decider" is!

Weren't you predicting a few weeks ago that they will tour again ?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 19, 2011 18:23

Hai Karate Kittie..... this picture made me laugh too loud out loud
Silver Dagger
LMAO!!! really

Date: August 19, 2011 18:26

I like this one:

Date: August 19, 2011 18:27

Rolling Hansie
thewatchman

LOL, no way

Keith,smoking smiley

The story will never end for you mate, you always have the blues. Just go solo, do the blues, and forget Mick. I always thought you could be the next Bob Dylan if you set your mind to it. Go for it, mate!

One Love Gold Rings On Ya, Alwayssmileys with beer

Date: August 19, 2011 18:28

Edith Grove
thewatchman
Edith Grove

Weren't you predicting a few weeks ago that they will tour again ?

Been predicting that since the last tour. I was wrong!

Date: August 19, 2011 18:30

This one's better:

Date: August 19, 2011 18:31

LOL too smiling smiley
Edith Grove
I like this one:

but needs some photoshopped "flying slobber" coming from the poor puppy winking smiley

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: August 19, 2011 18:36

If they don't do anything then there is no 50th anniversary since the last thing they did as a "band" was August 26, 2007. That would leave them at 45 years.

Date: August 19, 2011 18:52

HAI KARATE!!!!

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: August 19, 2011 19:04

I hardly ever post on these threads out of complete and total frustration.

My two cents:

Go in the studio, record a dirty blues album with Andy Johns on the mixing console and Jack White producing, and then do 12 gigs leading up to the final Rolling Stones concert of all time. #13, do it big, giant stadium gig, charge a premium ticket, live streaming online/android/ios...

And thats it.

One last good record is all I'm really expecting from them. Whether its a blues covers record, or entirely new material, they need to go back to basics. Someone needs to tell Mick to quit trying to be 'relevant' and just write some awesome music.

Most of all, we don't want another Bridges to Babylon or Dirty Work. Simple mixing, simple production.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home