Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Songs that were great on certain tours...
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 3, 2016 22:24

For me, some Stones songs were pure magic on certain tours, then a big letdown on other tours. Usually I felt the magic most before the "modern" era. I'll concede that can be a matter of taste. Some other threads here got me thinking about these...
Under My Thumb - 1981 kicked butt! 1997 it was lifeless.
Honky Tonk Women - 1978 & 1981 rocked. 1989 and on was still pretty good. In 2005-6 Keith struggled horribly with his solo.
Let's Spend The Night Together in 1981 was a prime example of how they would disregard the recorded version in favor of a guitar driven version for the stage. Loved it.
Little T&A was smoking in 1981. Brought it back as a Vegas version in 2006; no thanks.
You Can't Always Get What You Want, liked the way they used to jam it in the old days. Maybe it's just my taste but I like it when bands like the Stones stray from their recorded versions on stage. Once you try to start duplicating every horn and backing vocal it just gets too predictable. I realize the Stones became predictable a long time ago but I miss the old jamming days....Just some thoughts...

Re: Songs that were great on certain tours...
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 3, 2016 22:40

I love Under My Thumb in Still Life, especially the opening guitar riffs! Got Live version is a bit too fast for my liking and 1969 was a bit too slow.

Date: May 3, 2016 23:04

DGA35
I love Under My Thumb in Still Life, especially the opening guitar riffs! Got Live version is a bit too fast for my liking and 1969 was a bit too slow.

Ah - sighing wistfully - Being in front of that colorful stage in 1981 on a crisp autumn day, seeing all those balloons go up as Keith banged out those opening notes of UMT, seeing Mick frantically jumping up and down, spotting Bill Wyman in his yellow suit, yep there's Woody, and look...Charlie has hair again!...one of the greatest memories of my then 21 year old self! It was my second time to see the Stones and we were close enough to see the logo on Keith's pack of cigs. First saw them in 1978, but from half a stadium away. When they came on the crowd noise was so loud I didn't know they opened with Let It Rock until I read it in the paper the next day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 23:08 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: May 3, 2016 23:13

Honky Tonk, All Down The Line and Love In Vain were fantastic in 1978.

Live with Me, Stray Cat Blues and Brown Sugar were great in 1969-1971.

JJF and No Expectations were exceptional in 1968.

Street Fighting Man was excellent acoustic in 1995. Great on recent tours, as well as in 1969.

Loved the 69/70-versions of SFTD. It was very good in 1975, too.

Many of the GHS-tracks were excellent in 1973.

UMT, LSTNT, TIOMS, WOAF and LIB were ace in 1981.

All imho, of course smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 23:14 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 3, 2016 23:18

DandelionPowderman

Street Fighting Man was excellent acoustic in 1995. Great on recent tours, as well as in 1969.

Agree all around. Especially pleased and surprised with how SFM sounds on Hyde Park Live. I usually would prefer the older versions but in 2013 they put some good edge to it. The keyboard choral effect in the end is downright spooky! And I'm not usually a fan of keyboards, samples and such...

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 3, 2016 23:50

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman

Agree all around. Especially pleased and surprised with how SFM sounds on Hyde Park Live. I usually would prefer the older versions but in 2013 they put some good edge to it. The keyboard choral effect in the end is downright spooky! And I'm not usually a fan of keyboards, samples and such...

I thought SFM worked very well as a show opener for the Arena Showe on the Licks Tour. And I was privileged to see the very first of those shows - at Boston on 3rd September 2002 and a year later in my home city of Glasgow, Scotlsnd (from nearby Hamilton).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 23:52 by grzegorz67.

Date: May 3, 2016 23:54

grzegorz67
HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman

I thought SFM worked very well as a show opener for the Arena Showe on the Licks Tour. And I was privileged to see the very first of those shows - at Boston on 3rd September 2002 and a year later in my home city of Glasgow, Scotlsnd (from nearby Hamilton).
Yes, it was excellent in 2002! I caught it in a stadium, very good - like the one on Live Licks, too.

Date: May 4, 2016 00:02

Unfortunately, SFM was a B-stage number in 2003. From my spot it sounded Muddy and messy, but I think Ronnie had some trouble with his "sitar" as well...

Date: May 4, 2016 00:05

DandelionPowderman
Unfortunately, SFM was a B-stage number in 2003. From my spot it sounded Muddy and messy, but I think Ronnie had some trouble with his "sitar" as well...

I feel your pain. I saw a very good stadium show in 2002 but when they got to the B-stage, they had massive sound problems. Glad to say SFM was done from the main stage towards the end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-04 00:07 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: May 4, 2016 00:06

It was Often played on the B stsge at the Licks stadium shows, of which I saw 3.

Not played so often now though. It seems to have quietly dropped out of the live set on the post 2012 shows.

Date: May 4, 2016 00:08

grzegorz67
It was Often played on the B stsge at the Licks stadium shows, of which I saw 3.

Not played so often now though. It seems to have quietly dropped out of the live set on the post 2012 shows.

Shame, I feel that SFM deserves a spot among the warhorses!

Date: May 4, 2016 00:09

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
I feel your pain. I saw a very good stadium show in 2002 but when they got to the B-stage, they had massive sound problems.

Were you at Foxoboro, MA by any chance (the 1st Licks stadium show) ? The B stsge sound screwed up very badly there during Shattered!, their only performance of this song in my presence!

Date: May 4, 2016 00:19

grzegorz67
HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
I feel your pain. I saw a very good stadium show in 2002 but when they got to the B-stage, they had massive sound problems.

Were you at Foxoboro, MA by any chance (the 1st Licks stadium show) ? The B stsge sound screwed up very badly there during Shattered!, their only performance of this song in my presence!

No, my friend - I was at Giants Stadium in NJ...Yeah, I recall the sound being especially incomprehensible on When The Whip Comes Down. First time i'd heard it since 1981...

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: May 4, 2016 00:48

streets of love was great in Atlantic City

Posted by: HamburgerToGo ()
Date: May 4, 2016 08:32

SOL "great" in Atlantic City?
REALLY?

Well, I can only Respect your Opinion, Stones50.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 4, 2016 08:37

Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Midnight Rambler - 50 and Counting tour.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 4, 2016 08:43

2000lyfh in 1990

Date: May 4, 2016 08:46

HamburgerToGo
REALLY?

Surprisingly, it was excellent in Bergen as well.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 4, 2016 09:39

Sway on the last tour(s).

And towards the end of that tour Can You Hear Me Knocking.

Street Fighting Man as last song on the 75 Tour Of The Americas. Absolutely apocalyptic.

All Down The Line - US tour 1972.

Gimme Shelter - European tour 73

You Can't Always Get What You Want - European tour 73

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 4, 2016 09:43

Street fighting man was a strong opener at many Arena sized shows during the Licks tour.
I liked If you can't rock me from the Licks tour as well.

I'm also fond of Lisa's input on Monkey Man during the Voodoo Lounge tour.
And I agree with all those who named Under my thumb AND Let's spend the night together
from the 1981/82 tour. Those backing vocals on the latter one... That's rock 'n roll!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 4, 2016 09:57

marcovandereijk
I agree with all those who named Under my thumb AND Let's spend the night together
from the 1981/82 tour.
Those backing vocals on the latter one... That's rock 'n roll!

Let's not forget the 81/82 Time Is On My Side, again with those glorious backing vocals
That's R&B, baby, with a capital rollllllll :E

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 4, 2016 10:02

For me, the Stones ' Golden Years on Tour is in 1964 and 1969, and the No. 1 songs for these must be It's all over now and Sympathy for the Devil ...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 4, 2016 14:18

with sssoul
marcovandereijk
I agree with all those who named Under my thumb AND Let's spend the night together
from the 1981/82 tour.
Those backing vocals on the latter one... That's rock 'n roll!

Let's not forget the 81/82 Time Is On My Side, again with those glorious backing vocals
That's R&B, baby, with a capital rollllllll :E

Yes, yes, yes! UMT, LSTNT, TIOMS---CLASSIC in 81/82! Never get tired of them!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 4, 2016 14:46

I saw a phenomenal SFTD on the Voodoo Lounge tour. Kingdome, Seattle. Big kind of African/Voodoo jam out at the end of the song.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: May 4, 2016 14:48

Voodoo Lounge--------- I Go Wild...Monkey Man...dude on stilts first 3 shows..That first DC show was TWENTY SEVEN songs! Man that was awesome, first time performances of so many different songs...great tour.

B2B------Satisfaction..Crazy Mama..Little Queenie

No Security-----a ton....JJF opening, Route 66, Sway, Some Girls, I Got The Blues, You Got The Silver, Thief In The NIght, Rambler, Get Off MY Cloud, Out Of Control....honestly the most experimented set list shows in their history...played like 60 some different songs on that tour....THAT ONE IS GONNA BE A GREAT VAULT SET..BECAUSE THERE AREN'T ANY GOOD BOOTS FROM THAT TOUR.
Best inside arena tour version of the band I ever witnessed...

Date: May 4, 2016 15:10

Sway on the No Security tour? You mean Moonlight Mile or Sister Morphine, perhaps?

Date: May 4, 2016 16:26

It was great to see Midnight Rambler come back in 1989. First time since the 75-76 tours. Some songs are more appreciated when they're not played for awhile. It was also great in 1989 to have IORR, GS, and SFTD come back. Now we take them for granted as they've been done over and over again...I was so glad to see SFTD come back I could initially forgive them for using the loop. I really didn't think they'd do that on every single tour from that point on. What did I know?

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: May 4, 2016 16:32

HamburgerToGo
REALLY?

I swear!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 4, 2016 17:14

Shattered in 1994 was the best live version of it ever to my ears.

Start Me Up for STEEL WHEELS tours.

Jumpin' Jack Flash... 1969/70

Honky Tonk Women - 1975-76, 1978, 1981. The LOVE YOU LIVE version is, like Tumbling Dice from EOMS, a perfect example of how the Stones can be excellent at the roll (and Keith's best lickage and solo ever). In 1978 and most so in 1981/82 it's the intro with the fantastic time play of Keith and Charlie without losing the swagger of the tune afterwards (hell, it was only 12 years old when they started the TATTOO YOU tour - it was still warm!). Ever since then it's been on cruise control. The way Keith intros it in 1978 and 1981-82 is hilarious in the sense of it's just a chord... tearing and vamping like that. The attack and knife that it has is what makes it work.

Monkey Man - Although I was floored that they did it for the VOODOO tour, the LICKS tour was even better.

* Sparks Will Fly - 1994-95 Because hopefully it will never be played live again.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: May 4, 2016 17:23

Great post!

Beast of Burden 81 & prior are great. Not so much after-in my opinion.

Tumbling Dice sort of the same.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1257
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home