Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Your fav stones Album from 1989-2011??
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 10, 2011 13:25

A Bigger Bang

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 10, 2011 13:26

shadooby
The Voodoo Lounge...it's all in there from early sounding tunes like New Faces to the modern balls to the wall Love is Strong!

+1

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: August 10, 2011 18:04

OneHit
IMO, A Bigger Bang and Bridges to Babylon are great albums. The live-in-the-studio tracks on Stripped are beautiful, not to mention the great cover shot.

I don't care for Steel Wheels or Voodoo Lounge at all, save for Slipping Away, AHYS and Thru & Thru.

I love the way everybody has a different opinion...

Really like VL, ABB and Stripped
Like SW but (although I am one of those who like everything 'Stones') Bridges is by far the weakest album

IMO smiling smiley

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 10, 2011 18:08

Zagalo
OneHit
IMO, A Bigger Bang and Bridges to Babylon are great albums. The live-in-the-studio tracks on Stripped are beautiful, not to mention the great cover shot.

I don't care for Steel Wheels or Voodoo Lounge at all, save for Slipping Away, AHYS and Thru & Thru.

Like SW but (although I am one of those who like everything 'Stones') Bridges is by far the weakest album

IMO smiling smiley

I like Bridges because it's so diverse, with many surprising shifts of style. The other albums are too Stones-by-numbers overall, with obvious exceptions such as 'Continental Drift' & 'Moon Is Up'.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 10, 2011 20:04

Sleepy City
Zagalo
OneHit

IMO smiling smiley

I like Bridges because it's so diverse, with many surprising shifts of style. The other albums are too Stones-by-numbers overall, with obvious exceptions such as 'Continental Drift' & 'Moon Is Up'.

I find bridges uneven, maybe for the same reason you are saying diverse. I just don't think the material is all that good.

HOWEVER, there are some truly standout cuts, like Saint of Me (a modern day classic), Thief and Out of Control (although I only truly appreciated it after hearing it live....love that).

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 10, 2011 20:51

1. Exile Reissue

2. Ya Yas Deluxe

That's it.

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: August 10, 2011 21:22

Bridges
Steel Wheels
Voodoo Lounge

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: August 10, 2011 22:14

1)Stripped
2)ABB
3)Voodoo
4)Steel wheels

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 11, 2011 00:25

1) Bridges To Babylon

2) Voodoo Lounge

3) 4 New Licks

4) A Bigger Bang

5) Flashpoint

6) Steel Wheels

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 11, 2011 00:26

Exile On Mainstreet Bonus Disc
Voodoo Lounge
Stripped
Bridges to Babylon
Flashpoint
No Security
Steel Wheels
the 4 bonustracks on 40 Licks
Live Licks (almost completely forget about that one)
Shine a Light
A Bigger Bang

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: August 11, 2011 01:55

Steel Wheels
Stripped
Flashpoint
Exile Bonus
Voodoo Lounge
Bridges
A Bigger Bang
No Security
Shine A Light
Live Licks

I would put Rarities above Live Licks if that counts.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 11, 2011 02:49

Voodoo Lounge the best by a mile, then Stripped then the rest.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 11, 2011 03:10

georgelicks
Voodoo Lounge the best by a mile, then Stripped then the rest.

..thumbs up..+1..

Date: August 11, 2011 10:19

How come so little appreciation for Stripped on this board? I thought it was excellent when it came out. I still think it is.

And the Stripped Companion with the rest of the songs from the sessions (+ live) is just fantastic, imo.

Date: August 11, 2011 10:24

DandelionPowderman
How come so little appreciation for Stripped on this board? I thought it was excellent when it came out. I still think it is.

Perhaps because it's mostly recuts of old songs? I like it alot, but it's not something I play very much to be honest.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 11, 2011 10:36

If the question is which album I have played the most from 1989-2011 it's probably 'Forty Licks', but latest Exile is a better album...

2 1 2 0

Date: August 11, 2011 10:36

Sleepy City
DandelionPowderman

Perhaps because it's mostly recuts of old songs? I like it alot, but it's not something I play very much to be honest.

I play the WH-version on Stripped even more than the original.

Date: August 11, 2011 11:28

IMO "Babylon" is not only the best of the latter day albums, but it is a real surprise to me, just HOW good it is. The B2B album ranks among the very good Stones albums.
Rest of that era:

Stripped - very good; I love the feel of the album

Steel Wheels Outtakes - I never even consider the official final release anymore; for me the Outtakes are the album

Bigger Bang - too long, and many lousy cuts on it; no band feel whatsoever

Voodoo - my least favorite; lame lyrics, Don Was trying way too hard to create a classic Stones album; should have gone with many of the outtakes and rocked it.

Main Offender, Talk is Cheap, Wandering Spirit, Slide on This, I Feel Like Playing - that's where the hot stuff is at.

Date: August 11, 2011 11:36

Palace Revolution 2000
Steel Wheels Outtakes - I never even consider the official final release anymore; for me the Outtakes are the album

I really should investigate RS outtakes more. I have (I think) pretty much everything available from the Decca years, but very little from afterwards.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: August 11, 2011 13:01

a hard question...i finally decided to go with Voodoo lounge, because some of its somgs i really like very much, in the first place LIS, YGMR, TMIU, IGO, MD....but this doesn´mean that i dont appreciate BTB. in any case it is a close race between these 2. the same thing is valuable also for SW and BB, but on other level, because i consider them much weaker than the others....,

Date: August 11, 2011 13:14

wandering spirit
a hard question...i finally decided to go with Voodoo lounge, because some of its somgs i really like very much, in the first place LIS, YGMR, TMIU, IGO, ....but this doesn´mean that i dont appreciate BTB. in any case it is a close race between these 2. the same thing is valuable also for SW and BB, but on other level, because i consider them much weaker than the others....,

Which songs are these?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-11 13:32 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 11, 2011 13:30

I don't think there is a Stones album released after 81 that I listen to all the way through. They're just too patchy. Better to make your own compilation.
I do think that Thru and Thru is one of the greatest tracks they/Keith have recorded since 81 though. The outtake is incredibly spooky and ultra modern sounding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-11 14:08 by Silver Dagger.

Date: August 11, 2011 13:40

Silver Dagger
I don't think there is a Stones album released after 81 that I listen to all the way through. They're just too patchy. Better to make your own compilation.

I rarely listen to Stones albums all the way through after 71 for the same reason...

I don't think any of their 1989 to 2005 albums have been any more patchy than GHS & ER.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-11 13:41 by Sleepy City.

Date: August 11, 2011 13:55

Sleepy City
Silver Dagger

I rarely listen to Stones albums all the way through after 71 for the same reason...

I don't think any of their 1989 to 2005 albums have been any more patchy than GHS & ER.

Might have something to do with having heard the albums hundreds of times before winking smiley Seriously, just for listening purposes, I'm not listening to the albums all the way through anymore.

On parties, however, well it's a different story...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 11, 2011 14:14

Sleepy City
Silver Dagger

Goat's Head Soup is a classic for me although it is the beginning of the cartoon Stones...comedy songs like Star Star pale next to all those songs with real menace, intrigue and genuine charm such as Gimme Shelter, Sway, and Shine A Light.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: August 11, 2011 14:14

Palace Revolution 2000
Main Offender, Talk is Cheap, Wandering Spirit, Slide on This, I Feel Like Playing - that's where the hot stuff is at.

Couldn't agree more. All of these albums are fantastic.

Date: August 11, 2011 14:16

OneHit
Palace Revolution 2000

Couldn't agree more. All of these albums are fantastic.

'Main Offender' really lacks good songs to my ears...

Date: August 11, 2011 14:20

Silver Dagger
Sleepy City
Silver Dagger

Goat's Head Soup is a classic for me although it is the beginning of the cartoon Stones...comedy songs like Star Star pale next to all those songs with real menace, intrigue and genuine charm such as Gimme Shelter, Sway, and Shine A Light.

It has grown on me alot over the years, but I could say the same for pretty much all of their albums since then. None of them blew me away on first hearing them quite the same as their first album or Aftermath or Let It Bleed did.

Date: August 11, 2011 14:23

Let It Bleed is a masterpiece, GHS isn't, imo.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: August 11, 2011 14:29

in that context the word "favourite" is a bit funny....
honestly, there were some decent songs, not more.
love is strong, thru &thru, highwire, how can i stop, back of my hand to name a few.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-11 14:30 by guitarbastard.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2009
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home