Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Knebworth vs. Les Abattoir
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 8, 2011 05:56

Can someone familiar with these two concerts answer some questions? I just acquired Knebworth today from a Flea Market, but there's only 10 cuts out of a 29 song setlist. Was part of this show filmed for broadcast? I haven't watched it yet, so I don't know the quality of performance, but was the entire concert filmed?

Same questions about Les Abattoir: Was the entire concert filmed? It looks like a 20 song setlist but I don't think there's that many on the bootleg DVDs. I understand that much of the Paris sides of 'Love You Live' come from Les Abattoir. That is perhaps my least favorite live show on record. So, is the Les Abattoir DVD even worth getting?

Re: Knebworth vs. Les Abattoir
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: August 8, 2011 09:30

It is worth just to see and hear KR playing guitar on Fool to Cry

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 8, 2011 10:42

24FPS
Can someone familiar with these two concerts answer some questions? I just acquired Knebworth today from a Flea Market, but there's only 10 cuts out of a 29 song setlist. Was part of this show filmed for broadcast? I haven't watched it yet, so I don't know the quality of performance, but was the entire concert filmed?

Same questions about Les Abattoir: Was the entire concert filmed? It looks like a 20 song setlist but I don't think there's that many on the bootleg DVDs. I understand that much of the Paris sides of 'Love You Live' come from Les Abattoir. That is perhaps my least favorite live show on record. So, is the Les Abattoir DVD even worth getting?

Only part of the Knebworth footage exists (& was never broadcast).

The broadcast version of Paris is actually a compilation from several different shows. However one of these shows complete (or near-complete) as a bootleg.

Date: August 8, 2011 10:48

Les Abattoir is great! What makes LYL a bummer (compared to the show, that is) is the unnecessary overdubs, imo.

Their best version of Hand Of Fate ever, a great Fool To Cry + other songs that didn't make the album makes it worthwhile, imo.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 8, 2011 11:20

Agreed...I have the Les Abbatoir show/s on DVD and it is a splice of several nights. Much better quality than Knebworth and a lot more songs.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 8, 2011 12:58

This is what you need. This and Knebworth. Abbatoirs is not bad but 1976 is a gamble. Hot stuff is great on Knebworth and good on Abbatoirs.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: August 8, 2011 15:57

To compare these two performances is like comparing Woodstock with Fillmore West.
It's simply not approbriate and possible.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 8, 2011 17:14

There are actually 2 versions of Aux Abattoir, see here: [www.iorr.org]

There is the broadcast version, put together from 3 different shows and then the full 1976-06-06 concert. Keith had just lost his son, but decided to play that night and he played extremely well. It is one of the best bootleg DVDs out there. I like it much more than Knebworth.

Date: August 8, 2011 17:20

Happy24
There are actually 2 versions of Aux Abattoir, see here: [www.iorr.org]

There is the broadcast version, put together from 3 different shows and then the full 1976-06-06 concert. Keith had just lost his son, but decided to play that night and he played extremely well. It is one of the best bootleg DVDs out there. I like it much more than Knebworth.

That's what I said earlier (in not so many words).

Sleepy City
The broadcast version of Paris is actually a compilation from several different shows. However one of these shows complete (or near-complete) as a bootleg.

Wish we had 'Cherry Oh Baby' from Paris '76 on video / DVD.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 8, 2011 18:36

Thank you for your input. I won't even have time to watch Knebworth for a couple weeks, but as a bonus it also has the Stones appearances on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. This series of great 1970s rock performances just sits in a vault after being sold to a company, rotting away. Don is dead and we're screwed. Can't wait to watch 'Hey Negrita' for the camp alone.

Speaking of unavailability, the same day I got an Allman Brothers DVD with Duane and Berry appearances, including the Fillmore East. Really looking forward to seeing that.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 8, 2011 22:34

I love the Paris DVD, get the full 7/6 show too!!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 8, 2011 22:40

24FPS

The Knebworth film is basically 'raw' news footage filmed for a feature on that evenings BBC news. They barely used a couple of minutes of what was filmed.

The master tape sat gathering dust in the BBC's vaults for about 15 years or more until one enterprising member of staff who happened to be a Stones fan (and who also posts on here from time to time) took advantage of their then lax filing system and 'borrowed' it for a few days to make a copy. He did the same with a few other pieces of footage from the BBC archives from the early/mid 70s which would otherwise not have been cirulated in the quality that they were or even at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-08 22:41 by Gazza.

Date: August 8, 2011 23:06

Gazza
24FPS

The Knebworth film is basically 'raw' news footage filmed for a feature on that evenings BBC news. They barely used a couple of minutes of what was filmed.

The master tape sat gathering dust in the BBC's vaults for about 15 years or more until one enterprising member of staff who happened to be a Stones fan (and who also posts on here from time to time) took advantage of their then lax filing system and 'borrowed' it for a few days to make a copy. He did the same with a few other pieces of footage from the BBC archives from the early/mid 70s which would otherwise not have been cirulated in the quality that they were or even at all.

Certainly wasn't "15 years or more". I first bought a bootleg VHS tape of the Knebworth show at a record fair in either 1983 or 1984.

Date: August 8, 2011 23:11

It had circulated for years as far as I recall, but not in perfect quality. The version that came out in the 90s came from the master.

Date: August 8, 2011 23:23

Gazza
It had circulated for years as far as I recall, but not in perfect quality. The version that came out in the 90s came from the master.

I'm not disputing that (I got a major VHS upgrade in the early 90s + an even better DVD upgrade a couple of years back), but your comment earlier made it sound as if no-one outside the BBC had it for 15 years.

I also bought Paris '76 & L.A. Forum '75 at early 80s record fairs.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 9, 2011 00:12

Gazza
24FPS

Wouldn't be a guy called Clive from Loughton would it ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-09 02:15 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 9, 2011 00:14

Gazza

The version that circulated for years was missing several numbers that where on the new, mid-90's release as far as I remember.

Mathijs

Date: August 9, 2011 00:53

Sleepy City
Gazza

I'm not disputing that (I got a major VHS upgrade in the early 90s + an even better DVD upgrade a couple of years back), but your comment earlier made it sound as if no-one outside the BBC had it for 15 years.

Think you misunderstood. I mentioned that the master tape just hadnt been circulated. I'd a copy by the mid 80s like yourself, but it certainly wasnt in as good quality. I think Mathijs is right in saying that version had a few less songs. Hard to remember, its so long ago!

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 9, 2011 01:44

Abbatoirs easily over Knebworth. These shows are probably the high-point of the tour in terms of performance and consistency. Keith playing on June 6--the night his baby died--is really intense: you can almost feel his pain coming out of his playing. The version of "Midnight Rambler" from this show is especially powerful: more than enough to satisfy those who think this song hasn't been the same since you-know-who left the band.
"Fool To Cry" from the last night is beautiful and a delight to hear--and I hate that song. Should have been on Love You Live easily.

Granted my preference for the Les Abbatoirs shows may be biased, since the June 7 show was my first Stones boot, but it's still the best I've heard from this tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-09 01:45 by stevecardi.

Date: August 9, 2011 02:06

Gazza
Sleepy City
Gazza

Think you misunderstood. I mentioned that the master tape just hadnt been circulated. I'd a copy by the mid 80s like yourself, but it certainly wasnt in as good quality. I think Mathijs is right in saying that version had a few less songs. Hard to remember, its so long ago!

Yes, there were 2 or 3 less songs (I know Hot Stuff wasn't on it).

Date: August 9, 2011 08:27

EddieByword
Gazza
24FPS

Wouldn't be a guy called Clive would it ?

Yes, it was, I just checked my stuff, had VHS copy from the master in 2003 - Ex

Date: August 9, 2011 08:32

EddieByword
EddieByword
Gazza
24FPS

I got my VHS copy direct from the master in the early 90s...from Keith Badman.

Date: August 9, 2011 08:44

Sleepy City
EddieByword
EddieByword
Gazza
24FPS

I got my VHS copy direct from the master in the early 90s...from Keith Badman.

Hmm, never heard of him....I know this guy Clive definitely worked for the BBC because latterly he sent me DVDs with 'BBC Production' etched on them instead of 'Maxell' or the like and he also told me my VHS - Knebworth was a direct copy - and it's crystal clear, so..............plus he sent me a not so clear copy of a mini doc called 'The making of the Knebworth 6 o'clock news report' - about 10 mins worth........

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-09 08:48 by EddieByword.

Date: August 9, 2011 08:54

Keith Badman also worked at the BBC (or had good contacts) at the time, certainly quite a few bits & pieces (not just the RS) came via him during the late 80s / early 90s. He co-wrote a rather good Stones book: [www.bookfinder.com]

Date: August 9, 2011 09:06

Ahh, right, thanks, I notice that the book was published by Cherry Red, the same company that published the Ex Complete Recording Sessions 1962 - 2002 by Martin Elliott. [www.bookfinder.com] ....I might check that Good Times, Bad Times out....thanks......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-09 09:29 by EddieByword.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1125
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home