Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT.Good Musicians who have Boring Stage Presence?
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 5, 2011 15:31

mrD
Nobody mentioned Bill Wyman, Did anyone ever see him moving on stage? (except walking on and off). Even Mark Knopfler seems to move more.

Never noticed the guy even when he was there.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: August 5, 2011 16:52

Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood (well, he's not really boring, but a little shy & awkward sometimes)

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: August 5, 2011 16:56

mrD
Nobody mentioned Bill Wyman, Did anyone ever see him moving on stage? (except walking on and off). Even Mark Knopfler seems to move more.
somebody mentioned bill wyman. good eye.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 5, 2011 19:05

Van the Man.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 5, 2011 19:15

BluzDude
Van the Man.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 6, 2011 02:10

JumpingKentFlash
The deal with the white mask was that he was listening to one of his own albums while eating a plate of yoghurt.
HAHAHAHA.... best laugh all day, thanks smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 6, 2011 02:16

What was the deal with the mime makeup?
.........The opposite of minstrel show blackface makeup?

Yeah that's probably it Loog ... Dylan's disguised nod to guys
like Emmett Miller -- Jolson and a stack of other blackface performers...
Then most likely a later nod to Eric Lott's ---- Love & Theft read ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 6, 2011 02:35

BluzDude
Van the Man.

Still managed to upstage an all-star cast in the greatest concert movie ever made.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 6, 2011 08:26

clapton
dylan

Date: August 6, 2011 08:38

Van Morrison has great presence.
I have to say I think of Rich Robinson; the most boring person on stage, smiling smiley

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: August 6, 2011 08:42

Gazza
BluzDude
Van the Man.

Still managed to upstage an all-star cast in the greatest concert movie ever made.

When I listen to "It's Too Late to Stop Now" I don't see how anybody can say this guy is boring. There's something there that is just missing in, say, Don Henley or that band he's in. This guy is tapped into something primal. He doesn't move around or leap or whatever...but, well...okay. I just like the guy, even live.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 6, 2011 08:43

mrD
Nobody mentioned Bill Wyman, Did anyone ever see him moving on stage? (except walking on and off).

The boring bass player is practically a tradition in British bands:

Wyman

Entwistle

John Paul Jones

(Maybe Harrison should have been the Beatles bass player?? )

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: August 6, 2011 08:46

Great on Stage : Stones, Queen, ACDC, KISS, Alice Cooper, Metallica, Aerosmith, Iron Maiden, Prince, Buddy Guy, Lucky Peterson, The Darkness, Springsteen

Boring, but with nice lights : Pink Floyd, Muse, U2

Horrible : Santana, Clapton, Mick Taylor, Oasis,

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: August 6, 2011 08:53

Doc
Great on Stage : Stones, Queen, ACDC, KISS, Alice Cooper, Metallica, Aerosmith, Iron Maiden, Prince, Buddy Guy, Lucky Peterson, The Darkness, Springsteen

Yeah, okay, I'm with you on this. I tend to agree, although, I must confess, I've never seen MT live, or Oasis live. But I'll take your word for it based on those you consider great on stage. I've seen all of most of those you mention, and have enjoyed their shows for sometimes very different reasons. There are many others I'd put in the 'great on stage' category, but certainly no quarrels with those you've mentioned here. My first time seeing Springsteen I nearly came in my pants. Circa '80. I was determined I'd hate his show. Well...I didn't.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 6, 2011 09:30

rocker1
Gazza
BluzDude
Van the Man.

When I listen to "It's Too Late to Stop Now" I don't see how anybody can say this guy is boring. There's something there that is just missing in, say, Don Henley or that band he's in. This guy is tapped into something primal. He doesn't move around or leap or whatever...but, well...okay. I just like the guy, even live.

I never said he was boring. His music and soulfulness can hardly be matched. I was talking about his stage appearance. His music moves me, but being at a live show of his is about his music, I could close my eyes during the show and still have the same affect.

Date: August 6, 2011 10:52

BluzDude
rocker1
Gazza
BluzDude
Van the Man.

I never said he was boring. His music and soulfulness can hardly be matched. I was talking about his stage appearance. His music moves me, but being at a live show of his is about his music, I could close my eyes during the show and still have the same affect.

Yeah, okay, I'm with ya. I have the same response to, say, Chet Atkins way back in the day (50's and 60's). He was mindblowing. He played music to be listenend to and appreciated. He was a bump on a log as a performer, but yet, it was astounding some of the stuff he was actually performing!

Date: August 6, 2011 11:01

Doc

I'm surprised how few are mentioning the 50s rock 'n' roll acts & the 60s soul acts at their peaks: Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Gene Vincent, Ray Charles, Howlin' Wolf, James Brown, Sam & Dave, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, The Four Tops, Little Stevie Wonder...these could ALL give any later rock / pop acts a run for their money.

Date: August 6, 2011 11:12

Sleepy City
Doc

I'm surprised how few are mentioning the 50s rock 'n' roll acts & the 60s soul acts at their peaks: Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Gene Vincent, Ray Charles, Howlin' Wolf, James Brown, Sam & Dave, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, The Four Tops, Little Stevie Wonder...these could ALL give any later rock / pop acts a run for their money.

I'd also add some of the glam rock era acts: David Bowie, Slade, The Sweet, Gary Glitter, T. Rex, Suzi Quatro & Alice Cooper were all great live.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 6, 2011 16:30

loog droog
mrD
Nobody mentioned Bill Wyman, Did anyone ever see him moving on stage? (except walking on and off).

Wyman

Entwistle

John Paul Jones

Entwhistle's fingers certainly weren't boring.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: August 6, 2011 16:33

loog droog
mrD

Wyman

Entwistle

John Paul Jones

I've always liked the contrast with bands like the RS / The Who / LZ. Much more interesting than if every musician on stage is jumping around & posing.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: August 7, 2011 20:17

Paul Simon is someone I love and have seen live about 5 times. He hasn't figured out how to make his live shows work. He adopted a Miles Davis "here it is, either you like it or you don't" attitude that worked for Miles but doesn't work for him. At age 69, he is still looking for a stage identity.

Presence doesn't have to do with dancing, either. Leonard Cohen has a great presence and he doesn't move much.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 7, 2011 20:48

Send It To me

Presence doesn't have to do with dancing, either. Leonard Cohen has a great presence and he doesn't move much.

This is very true. Just look at Muddy Waters here. He's just standing in one spot, but he's in total command of the stage.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-07 21:54 by tatters.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 7, 2011 20:50

I can't see why Clapton is more boring than for example Zappa were, and who dare to critisize Frank?

Nowadays I think Knopfler is boring on stage but that's because his music is boring...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 7, 2011 21:47

Come On
I can't see why Clapton is more boring than for example Zappa were, and who dare to critisize Frank?

Nowadays I think Knopfler is boring on stage but that's because his music is boring...

And he has a lousy voice

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: August 8, 2011 01:41

R E M pretty boring on stage

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 8, 2011 02:00

R E M even more boring off stage

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 8, 2011 04:39

>R E M pretty boring on stage

Rubbish

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 9, 2011 14:56

I just read a comment in the thread about Sing This All Together / Revolution No. 9 about the influence of Fats Domino.

And it reminded me about the time I saw Fats in L.A. at a memorable show in 1985 that was taped for video and opened by Rick (AKA Ricky ) Nelson.

I LOVED Ricky Nelson as a little kid. My family used to watch the Ozzie and Harriet TV show, and my favorite part would be at the end whenever they would run a clip of him (with James Burton in the band! ) playing his latest hit.

Nelson's performances--and especially his Mom Harriet's endorsements of not just him but the entire genre--are credited by many as playing a major role in putting rock n' roll over in the 50's.

Making it "safe?" Perhaps. But the records Nelson made--under the supervision of his ex-bandleader Dad Ozzie--were great tunes that put him heads above all the other Elvis wanna-be's that floated around at the time.

In the 70's I read in Rolling Stone that Ricky Nelson records on the radio were an early influence on.....Bob Marley when he was growing up! That was a WTF?? moment.

At any rate, years later when I finally saw Nelson perform live at the show he co-headlined with Fats Domino, HE WAS THE MOST BORING PERFORMER I'VE EVER SEEN!!

Love the guy, but he just had zero stage presence.

A few months later, he was dead.

Date: August 9, 2011 15:11

loog droog
I just read a comment in the thread about Sing This All Together / Revolution No. 9 about the influence of Fats Domino.

And it reminded me about the time I saw Fats in L.A. at a memorable show in 1985 that was taped for video and opened by Rick (AKA Ricky ) Nelson.

I LOVED Ricky Nelson as a little kid. My family used to watch the Ozzie and Harriet TV show, and my favorite part would be at the end whenever they would run a clip of him (with James Burton in the band! ) playing his latest hit.

Nelson's performances--and especially his Mom Harriet's endorsements of not just him but the entire genre--are credited by many as playing a major role in putting rock n' roll over in the 50's.

Making it "safe?" Perhaps. But the records Nelson made--under the supervision of his ex-bandleader Dad Ozzie--were great tunes that put him heads above all the other Elvis wanna-be's that floated around at the time.

In the 70's I read in Rolling Stone that Ricky Nelson records on the radio were an early influence on.....Bob Marley when he was growing up! That was a WTF?? moment.

At any rate, years later when I finally saw Nelson perform live at the show he co-headlined with Fats Domino, HE WAS THE MOST BORING PERFORMER I'VE EVER SEEN!!

Love the guy, but he just had zero stage presence.

A few months later, he was dead.

I bet you never found Fats boring though. cool smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 9, 2011 16:26

Well, 69 - 71 they all had a kinda boring stage presence . .
That was the Zeitgeist before glamrock changed it again.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home