Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Kings of Leon
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 31, 2011 07:02

Going back South Again is a great song...other than that... useless

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-31 07:05 by Chris Fountain.

Re: OT Kings of Leon
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 31, 2011 12:36

I liked them when they first made waves in the music press circa 2003. The NME championed them and some of their early music is pure, gutsy rock n' roll. In more recent years, they've changed both musically and image-wise. Where as they once wore long hair and looked like a 1970's American bar band, they now look like preened Calvin Klein models.

This is how I would like to remember them.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: July 31, 2011 14:56

This band will break up before the end of this year, mark my words. Sex on Fire is great tho!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 31, 2011 15:30

...blame it on their model girlfriends and their European press agents....they geared the product to Europe.....where it's 10x more popular than Stateside.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 31, 2011 15:35

Rip This
...blame it on their model girlfriends and their European press agents....they geared the product to Europe.....where it's 10x more popular than Stateside.

The whole rock n' roll explosion that started with the Strokes in 2001 had a far bigger impact in Europe than it did in the States - especially here in the UK, where acts like the Strokes signed their first record deal - London-based, Rough Trade.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: July 31, 2011 16:11

From Dlisted.com July 30, 2011

Caleb Followill, the lead singer of Kings of Leon, issued an "I QUIT THIS BITCH" during a show in Dallas, TX last night and pigeon shit was not to blame this time.

Caleb's skin is a fragile layer of daisy petals that wilts in the heat and so he couldn't take it. TMZ reports that Caleb stopped in the middle of the show, told the audience that it was way too hot for him and said he was going backstage to vomit and drink a beer. While KoL's fans stood in the dead heat, precious Caleb was carried off to his all-white dressing room where slaves hand fed him Evian ice cubes and fanned him with swan feathers while spritzing his face with 60º Perrier from a crystal bottle. "My rider says that you must spray my face with 60º Perrier and my face is telling me that Perrier is at least 66º! I hate you! You're @#$%& fired! Ugh. And now I'm hot again. You there, put on those panda uterus skin gloves and massage my temples with some chilled creme de la blended diamonds. What did I say about making eye contact?! I hate my life. Those children in Ethiopia have no idea how good they have it!" - Caleb, last night

The audience waited, but Caleb never came back out. Two of his bandmates did and announced that the rest of the show was canceled. They told the audience, "Hate Caleb, not us."

Tonight's show in Houston was also postponed. Caleb's brother and bandmate, Jared Followill, threw a little shade when he wrote this on Twitter:

Dallas, I cannot begin to tell you how sorry I am. There are internal sicknesses & problems that have needed to be addressed. No words.

I love our fans so much. I know you guys aren't stupid. I can't lie. There are problems in our band bigger than not drinking enough Gatorade.

What he's trying to say is that KoL fans should synchronize their watches for the inevitable "Caleb is in rehab due to exhaustion" announcement.

And I'm sure Jared got Caleb back for ditching the show by slipping a pea under the stack of mattresses he sleeps on every night.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: July 31, 2011 18:44

This band was drinking hard from the start. I love KOL, but it's just so sad so many bands have to go down that road. Indeed, it looks like this band is doing themselves in. However, they are all relatives... Maybe they will take time off, refresh and reconvene. They are a talented, legit rock and roll band, I hope they come to their senses. Looking forward to their documentary.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 31, 2011 20:40

I am seeing them in 2 weeks....or maybe not.

It doesn't get that warm in Buffalo....but it sounds like they have much deeper issues that temperatures for outdoor gigs. Success going to their heads? Divas?
Imploding like a lot of bands before them.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: July 31, 2011 22:10

They were on Saturday Night Live last night -- I'm guessing it was a repeat. Based on the "Exile" connection; well I'm not sure what I expected, but there didn't seem to be a lot going on. Kinda droney or something. And yeah, it looked like a lot of energy went into their hair and clothes. Too bad. And they didn't look happy.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 31, 2011 23:55

First two albums were listenable...after that they went pop, plop and now everything is aimed at the charts, the rock n roll died for a formulaic thrash anthemic chorus. Hopefully they will disassemble rather sprightly.

Date: August 1, 2011 02:01

Love their music; especially first 2 (maybe 3) albums.
But man, are they boring on stage; once they got rid of the groovy hair and clothes. They pull it off though for me. I dig the good tunes so much

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: August 1, 2011 05:07

Thinking of the Stones; fashion was important to them, birds obviously, fame and selling records were important, drugs and alcohol even. But during their prime years, the music was *always* the most important thing -- to me that is a large measure of their greatness. I don't know the Kings of Leon from diddley to be honest, but my impression of so many bands and musicians and in fact most popular ones is that they'd play or wear just about anything to make a boatload of bread and get their mugs on TMZ and the like.

Just sayin'....

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 1, 2011 06:03

buffalo7478
I am seeing them in 2 weeks....or maybe not.

It doesn't get that warm in Buffalo....but it sounds like they have much deeper issues that temperatures for outdoor gigs. Success going to their heads? Divas?
Imploding like a lot of bands before them.
Yeah,sounds like they may not make it to the end of the month,let alone the end of the year.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 1, 2011 13:10

First KoL cancels a show because of pigeon poop. Now this. It may be time for Live Nation to read them the riot act, as happened to Guns 'n Roses after another bratty little diva, Axl, was a no-show for a couple of gigs a few years ago. At least GnR was good once upon a time.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 1, 2011 15:34

CindyC

Caleb Followill, the lead singer of Kings of Leon, issued an "I QUIT THIS BITCH" during a show in Dallas, TX last night and pigeon shit was not to blame this time.

I wonder if there are refunds for this show? Is there minimum time they must play?

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: August 1, 2011 21:55

An atonal racket if ever I heard one. Seriously how did they get so far? Apart from Sex On Fire which is their only good number I can't fathom how they got far.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: August 1, 2011 22:22

Max'sKansasCity
CindyC

I wonder if there are refunds for this show? Is there minimum time they must play?

I guess the answer is YES, there will be refunds UNLESS..... [articles.boston.com]

Kings of Leon vow to redo ‘too hot’ Dallas show
July 31, 2011|Nekesa Mumbi Moody, AP Music Writer

The Kings of Leon are promising a redo for their Dallas fans after canceling a show because their lead singer complained it was too hot to perform, leading other members to profusely apologize to the audience.

In a statement, the family rock band, known for hits including the Grammy Award-winning anthem “Use Somebody,’’ announced plans to return to Dallas on Sept. 21 to make up for Friday’s mid-show cancellation, which drummer Nathan Followill called a “fiasco’’ on Twitter.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: August 1, 2011 23:10

Sounds like that is probably not going to happen either, they're cancelling the rest of their US tour.

For those of you who can't read between the lines, "exhaustion" = "drug addict".

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

In any event, this band does nothing for me. I don't like his voice at all.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: August 1, 2011 23:19

yup... "exhaustion" = "drug addict"

I dont know this band well, but I have heard this same ole story... too many times... forever.... it might be the oldest story in the history of man/woman... too much money and fame/adoration being thrown at a human too quickly is hard to handle...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-01 23:25 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 2, 2011 01:36

I just got an email from Live Nation that their tour has been cancelled.

Posted by: pennyharp ()
Date: August 2, 2011 04:37

Vocalion
This band will break up before the end of this year, mark my words. Sex on Fire is great tho!

Well that was quick! (not exactly "broken up" but well on it's way)

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 2, 2011 05:39

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 2, 2011 07:18

Sounds like Live Nation may be staged their own corporate form of intervention.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2183
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home