Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Is it worth the read?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 23, 2011 01:52

Picked up Keith's book at the supermarket today at the right price. 39 kronor (about 4 Euro or 5 dollar) in pocket. 523 pages, is it worth the reading thru and thru?

Re: Is it worth the read?
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 23, 2011 01:53

Stoneage
Picked up Keith's book at the supermarket today at the right price. 39 kronor (about 4 Euro or 5 dollar) in pocket. 523 pages, is it worth the reading thru and thru?

It's the greatest book ever written.

Date: July 23, 2011 02:03

Nah, you are kidding me. Just give me an honest answer! Is it that bad that so many seems to think?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 23, 2011 02:26

Stoneage
Is it that bad that so many seems to think?

No, it isn't. I like it very much. It is full of humour. But why don't you give it a try. Just read it and make up your own opinion.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 23, 2011 02:31

It's not bad. Keith is a great story teller and he has a lot to tell as one can imagine. However most interesting parts are when he speaks about music and writing songs. Also interesting is the description of the "Swinging London" and all the "characters" he met during this time. Then there are a bit too much drug stories to my taste, like there's too much negative rambling on his writing partner. But surprisingly he has also kind words for everyone (including Bianca Jagger).
Actually you can start reading from wherever you want, you will always find something interesting to read.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 23, 2011 02:32

only $5 bucks? already?

Date: July 23, 2011 02:39

Thanks for your advice, Hansie and Kowalski! I will have a go then and see if I get through the first 100 pages! I'm sure I will. Yes, MKC, some sort of summersale at the supermarket; all pockets 39 kronor which is approx 5 dollar if I'm not counting wrong!

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: July 23, 2011 02:43

Yeah, I borrowed it finally from the library a few weeks ago and enjoyed it, though it felt like he tore through a lot of stuff without much enlightening to say. I wish he'd dealt with songwriting and guitar playing a whole lot more. And the stuff about shooters and carrying a blade and "bitches" was just....embarrassing, I thought. Certainly didn't make me "like" Keith more, but I guess that's not the point, is it?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 23, 2011 02:44

Well, For only 5 bucks... If it does not work out...
you can always use 523 pieces of paper "for something" winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 23, 2011 03:05

Stoneage
Nah, you are kidding me. Just give me an honest answer! Is it that bad that so many seems to think?

It's a rough read, but hey, you bought it so what have you got to lose other than your time.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: July 23, 2011 03:10

100 pages in when it came out, bored, never picked it back up.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: July 23, 2011 04:54

One thing that struck me when I came to the end of the book was that it didn't seem like Keith's life in music had actually been that much fun for him. I guess it's easier to write about the heavy stuff than to impart the joy of creating some of the greatest rock 'n' roll ever and hanging out with the brightest stars of your generation.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 23, 2011 05:05

It was much better than I expected, though Wyman did state years ago that only he and Keith remember anything. It was interesting reading about his early life. There are a lot of disappointments in how he downplays the accomplishments of others, most noticeably Brian and Bill, but I saw that kind of stuff in 'Lennon Remembers' 40 years ago. It's worth the read.

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: July 23, 2011 05:14

I wish he talked more about his gear.

Yeah it's worth reading.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 23, 2011 06:57

The opening chapter is brilliant. Certainly caught me off guard.

Re: worth the read
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 23, 2011 09:26

Keith wrote a good book

Re: worth the read
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 23, 2011 09:44

with sssoul
Keith wrote a good book

+1

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: July 23, 2011 09:46

File it under fiction

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 23, 2011 09:59

24FPS
It was much better than I expected, though Wyman did state years ago that only he and Keith remember anything. It was interesting reading about his early life. There are a lot of disappointments in how he downplays the accomplishments of others, most noticeably Brian and Bill, but I saw that kind of stuff in 'Lennon Remembers' 40 years ago. It's worth the read.

This sums it up nicely.

I avoided the book myself for a while after reading all the negative comments on here (I finally bought it just after Christmas) but I was surprised how much I enjoyed it (better than Ronnie's book though I enjoyed that too).

smileys with beer

Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: July 23, 2011 10:04

It's worth the read. I read it in hardback and to be honest when I see it in paperback I wish I hadn't as it would have been a great holiday read!!

In all honesty once all the todger stuff has died down I think Life will replace the bible as the most important book in western civilisation.

Date: July 23, 2011 10:49

Sleepy City
I was surprised how much I enjoyed it

That's always a nice experience.

-------------------

Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: July 23, 2011 11:56

I bought it 8 months ago and still haven't been able to finish it... I admit that I find it so boring...

[www.stonescovers.com]
@Stones_Covers
[www.facebook.com]

Date: July 23, 2011 12:51

Thanks everybody for your input! I have read 46 pages so far and it is still keeping my interest!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 23, 2011 13:51

It made me a better guitarist.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 23, 2011 15:06

Stoneage

I usually ask that question to myself before I buy something. smoking smiley

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: July 23, 2011 15:45

The audio book version was quite enjoyable to me. I could never sit down and read the whole thing so this was my only option.

Date: July 23, 2011 16:08

Stoneage
I have read 46 pages so far

Good, then you only have 501 pages to go. Cheers

-------------------

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 23, 2011 16:12

GravityBoy

Sorry.. I meant it made me a better cook.

Date: July 23, 2011 16:14

GravityBoy
GravityBoy

Sorry.. I meant it made me a better cook.

LOL, at least you got better in something then

-------------------

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: July 23, 2011 16:22

I've hesitated on posting about Life for a while, as I've got mixed emotions about it.
I will say this, I lost a lot of respect for Keith after reading his recollections about his late baby son Tara. Obviously this was the most painful moment in Keith's life and not something he wants to talk about (least of all with the public), but calling the baby a "sonofabitch" for "leaving me like that, without letting me get to know you" (or something to that effect) is just wrong.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1613
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home