Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Is it worth the read?
Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: July 23, 2011 16:34

stevecardi
I've hesitated on posting about Life for a while, as I've got mixed emotions about it.
I will say this, I lost a lot of respect for Keith after reading his recollections about his late baby son Tara. Obviously this was the most painful moment in Keith's life and not something he wants to talk about (least of all with the public), but calling the baby a "sonofabitch" for "leaving me like that, without letting me get to know you" (or something to that effect) is just wrong.

It sounds distasteful yes but that's just Keith putting on a tough guy facade.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 23, 2011 18:17

Rolling Hansie
Stoneage
I have read 46 pages so far

Good, then you only have 501 pages to go. Cheers

My Swedish edition, "Livet", only has 527 pages, 512 if you don't count the register. Maybe they shortened my version?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 23, 2011 18:50

Stoneage
My Swedish edition, "Livet", only has 527 pages, 512 if you don't count the register. Maybe they shortened my version?

My English edition has 547, register not included. Maybe Swedish edition needs less words to tell the story. Or it is in smaller print.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2011 23:27

M4000D
I wish he talked more about his gear.

Yeah it's worth reading.

Instead of talking about Mick's gear...totally agree.

Date: July 25, 2011 23:27

Stoneage
Rolling Hansie
Stoneage
I have read 46 pages so far

Good, then you only have 501 pages to go. Cheers

Consider yourself fortunate.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 25, 2011 23:34

treaclefingers
M4000D
I wish he talked more about his gear.

Yeah it's worth reading.

Instead of talking about Mick's gear...totally agree.

>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 25, 2011 23:52

I'm on page 94. Haven't given up yet!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 26, 2011 00:02

....LIFE narrr don't read it ... live it

ROCKMAN

Re: worth the read
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 26, 2011 00:05

with sssoul
Keith wrote a good book

Keith spoke a good book

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 26, 2011 12:05

As said before...Life is the Death of the band.

Date: July 26, 2011 13:12

TooTough
As said before...Life is the Death of the band.

Wrong thread smiling smiley

-------------------

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: July 26, 2011 13:29

Stoneage
Picked up Keith's book at the supermarket today at the right price. 39 kronor (about 4 Euro or 5 dollar) in pocket. 523 pages, is it worth the reading thru and thru?

Well, I waited until the paperback came out simply because I'd got a signed copy at the Waterstones book-signing in London and didn't want to mark any of the book. The 1st chapter is hilarious, which is whay I guess they put it 1st, as it's out of sequence chronologically with the rest of the book. I used to work at Wellcome in Dartford so it was very interesting to me personally reading again about that area, where Keith grew up. There is a lot about the drugs, sure, but I don't think it's glorifying in any way, it's just what it is. The whole "todger" thing is, to me, blown completely out of proportion to it's one-line appearance in the whole book (the same comment is made, incidentally,in Andrew Oldham's book "2Stoned" quoting Chrissie Shrimpton as the only one who would know).

Read it all the way through and then make your judgement is my advice, as that's the only way you can take a balanced view. All I can say is that I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and I was sorry to have come to the end. The sadness of the last chapter says more to me about Keith as a human being, same as the rest of us with all our foibles and regrets.

Chris

Satisfied since 1976

Date: July 26, 2011 14:08

I am glad you enjoyed it, Chris

-------------------

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 26, 2011 16:07

""The whole "todger" thing is, to me, blown completely out of proportion to it's one-line appearance in the whole book (the same comment is made, incidentally,in Andrew Oldham's book "2Stoned" quoting Chrissie Shrimpton as the only one who would know).""

Suppose that is an apt name for the woman who started this rumor, eh? grinning smiley

Date: July 26, 2011 16:27

Max'sKansasCity
Shrimpton

LOL

-------------------

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 26, 2011 16:36

In Swedish? I would have bought it immediately...

What a drag it is....

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: July 26, 2011 17:15

He did say "he could have been a contender" and he never got an explanation from Anita

Posted by: Swedgen72 ()
Date: July 27, 2011 05:50

Stoneage
Picked up Keith's book at the supermarket today at the right price. 39 kronor (about 4 Euro or 5 dollar) in pocket. 523 pages, is it worth the reading thru and thru?

Yes, definitely. I'd take a massive grain of salt with some things he says, and his pretensions to being a tough-guy are laughable (very easy to be tough with bodyguards Keith, but otherwise you're a skinny English guy). Still it's very interesting and extremely funny at times.

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: July 27, 2011 07:14

Bought it mine last year's November.
All the negative's commentaries have discouraged me to begin.reading it.
But I decided to start next month

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 27, 2011 07:34

No! You should go entirely by the reviews and not try to figure out anything for yourself. Let the critics do your thinking for you and become a willing slave of mass corporate media. Let Rupert Murdoch, his halfwit son, News Corp., and FOXIC give you all your information and opinions. Become their willing lapdogs of their larger corporate agenda! It's so much easier than being a responsible citizen, questioning authority and all that hippie nonsense. Free Carrot Top Medusa Brooks!

Having said that, read the damn thing and take it for what it's worth.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 27, 2011 18:27

ab
No! You should go entirely by the reviews and not try to figure out anything for yourself. Let the critics do your thinking for you and become a willing slave of mass corporate media. Let Rupert Murdoch, his halfwit son, News Corp., and FOXIC give you all your information and opinions. Become their willing lapdogs of their larger corporate agenda! It's so much easier than being a responsible citizen, questioning authority and all that hippie nonsense. Free Carrot Top Medusa Brooks!

Having said that, read the damn thing and take it for what it's worth.

Fanned and faved!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 27, 2011 19:30

Well, I had refused to buy it based on all of the tales told here about it but my best friend bought it for me at Christmas saying sooner or later my curiousity would get the best of me....so I read it. Boring, it is NOT. Truthful, well, maybe in part. The parts that I liked the least where those where Keith would go into such detail about the drugs and thugs...dullsville. And yes, he does have an over-inflated sense of his own toughness. For me, it made him seem so UNCOOL. It was interesting to see how one minute he would praise Mick and the next you could feel the venom jump right off of the page when he'd describe Mick and Anita, for example. I understand more about Keith now...I found him tender at times, especially in regard to his love of animals. I can identify with him there! It is worth reading for any Stones fan. I found that much of it was redundant, especially if you've read a lot of Stones books and Bios. He does have a wry sense of humor, for sure. I thought the Mick comments were not necessary and by saying such things it diminished Keith in my eyes quite a bit...too bad really.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 27, 2011 21:46

It Should Be Called "Why I, Keith Richards, Hate Mick Jagger, And How You're Not A Real Lover Of The Stones, Rock and Roll Or Music in General Unless You Hate Mick Jagger As Well."

If that doesn't seem appealing to you, pass.
I personally wish I didn't read it.
It absolutely made me less of a fan of him and The Stones... in general.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-27 21:47 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 27, 2011 22:51

jamesfdouglas
It Should Be Called "Why I, Keith Richards, Hate Mick Jagger, And How You're Not A Real Lover Of The Stones, Rock and Roll Or Music in General Unless You Hate Mick Jagger As Well."

that expresses exactly why I've avoided this book. I've heard from lots of Stones fans how its a good read. But also from those who now care much less for Keith, after reading his book.

The really strange thing is this distorted view of Jagger that he seems to have.

must be jealousy, but that doesn't figure.

reminds me of that song 'You Don't Move Me'

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 27, 2011 23:02

yeah, just read it.

Date: July 28, 2011 01:16

duke richardson
jamesfdouglas

that expresses exactly why I've avoided this book. I've heard from lots of Stones fans how its a good read. But also from those who now care much less for Keith, after reading his book.

The really strange thing is this distorted view of Jagger that he seems to have.

must be jealousy, but that doesn't figure.

reminds me of that song 'You Don't Move Me'

I've read it and concur with sir james' observations. I don't like the stones less though...just had me lose a tremendous amount of respect for KR.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: July 28, 2011 01:39

I won't buy it because I have heard he is merciless to his ex-bandmate Brian Jones, and I know Brian had many faults....but have read that in the beginning, Brian taught Keith some guitar skills, and also helped to teach Mick how to play the harmonica....even though Keith despises Brian, some credit must be due him at least musically IMHO....and Brian DID found the band, even STU stated it years ago.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2339
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home