Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Track Talk: Blue Turns To Grey
Posted by: René ()
Date: February 9, 2009 09:39

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Blue Turns To Grey
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

RCA Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US, September 6, 1965

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, backing vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar, backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Brian Jones - electric guitar

So now that she has gone, you won't be sad for long
For maybe just an hour or just a moment of the day

Then blue turns to grey
And try as you may
You just don't feel good
And you don't feel alright
And you know that you must find her, find her, find her

You think you'll have a ball and you won't care at all
You'll find another girl or maybe more to pass the time away

Then blue turns to grey
And try as you may
You just don't feel good
You just don't feel alright

She's not home when you call, so you can go to all
The places where she used to go, but she has gone away

Then blue turns to grey
And try as you may
You just don't feel good
And you don't feel alright

Blue turns to grey, blue turns to grey
She has gone away, blue turns to grey
I feel so bad, blue turns to grey
I wish you'd come on home, blue turns to grey
I feel, I feel so down, blue turns to grey

Produced by Andrew Loog Oldham

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “December’s Children” LP
(London PS 451) US, December 4, 1965

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-24 19:52 by René.

Re: Track Talk: Blue Turns To Grey
Date: February 9, 2009 10:16

Beautiful song!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 9, 2009 10:41

Very nicely used in 25x5 around the time of Brian's death.

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: February 9, 2009 11:34

I agree DandelionP it's a beautiful song, and listen to Cliff Richard version, thats a good one as well, I have always wondered how it become Cliff recording a Jagger/Richard song, did he show up and ask if they had a song for him...?..

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: February 9, 2009 11:42

Ruby Friday
I agree DandelionP it's a beautiful song, and listen to Cliff Richard version, thats a good one as well, I have always wondered how it become Cliff recording a Jagger/Richard song, did he show up and ask if they had a song for him...?..

I'm not sure how Cliff came across the song, but I read somewhere that he was unaware that it was a Jagger-Richards song when he recorded it (the song had already been released previously by both Dick & Dee Dee and The Mighty Avengers, so it's possible that he or his producer heard one of these versions). Incidentally Cliff performed the song at the 1966 NME Poll Winners Concert on the same bill as The Rolling Stones.

Cliff's version (backed by The Shadows) was recorded at the E.M.I. studios (Abbey Road) on 17th January 1966.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-09 11:44 by Sleepy City.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 9, 2009 12:33

A good mid-60's Jagger/Richards composition, though perhaps Bills backing vocals ruin it a little.

Am I right in thinking that this dong didn't get an initial UK release? I know that Cliff Richard released a version.

Date: February 9, 2009 12:40

Let's remember there's (at least) two studio versions of this.

Dick & Dee Dee's version uses the very same backing track as the RS demo (& The Mighty Avengers' arrangement sticks pretty close to it).

Date: February 9, 2009 12:44

Big Al
A good mid-60's Jagger/Richards composition, though perhaps Bills backing vocals ruin it a little.

Am I right in thinking that this dong didn't get an initial UK release? I know that Cliff Richard released a version.

Yes you're right. I think it's first UK release was on 'Stone Aged' or whatever it was called, in the early 70s.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 9, 2009 13:49

Sleepy City
Big Al

Yes you're right. I think it's first UK release was on 'Stone Aged' or whatever it was called, in the early 70s.

Yeah, that's the one, the inafamous STONE AGE 1971 release by Decca, with its graffiti cover (three yearrs after the BEGGARS BANQUET hassle) that inspired the band into anti-campagn... in fact, STONE AGE was the introduction of "Look What You've Done", "One More Try", "The Spider and The Fly" and "My Girl" as well to UK audiences.

- Doxa

Date: February 9, 2009 13:52

Sleepy City

I'm not sure how Cliff came across the song, but I read somewhere that he was unaware that it was a Jagger-Richards song when he recorded it .

According to my hasty sources, Sir Cliff said that as an excuse. If he had known it is a Rolling Stones song he would not have recorded it.

- Doxa

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: February 9, 2009 15:20

erikjjf
Very nicely used in 25x5 around the time of Brian's death.

Totally agree!
That was the first time I'd heard the song, so it always reminds me of that.

Date: February 9, 2009 15:23

Doxa
Sleepy City

I'm not sure how Cliff came across the song, but I read somewhere that he was unaware that it was a Jagger-Richards song when he recorded it .

According to my hasty sources, Sir Cliff said that as an excuse. If he had known it is a Rolling Stones song he would not have recorded it.

- Doxa

It would make an interesting duet if Cliff guested on a RS show (or perhaps if Mick guested on a Cliff & The Shadows show, as it would probably be performed better then!).

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 9, 2009 15:27

I absolutely love this!! Would love to see them dust it off for the next tour! A wonderfully underrated classic, IMO.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 9, 2009 16:08

great tune and very soulful
I just love the fade out of this song with Jagger singing:
Blue turns to grey
she has gone away
i feel so bad
i wish she would come on home

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 9, 2009 17:00

Doxa

Yeah, that's the one, the inafamous STONE AGE 1971 release by Decca, with its graffiti cover (three yearrs after the BEGGARS BANQUET hassle) that inspired the band into anti-campagn... in fact, STONE AGE was the introduction of "Look What You've Done", "One More Try", "The Spider and The Fly" and "My Girl" as well to UK audiences.

- Doxa

Thanks for confirming Doxa and Sleepy City.

I think Sad Day must've been the final 60'S US-only release to see the light of day in the UK

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 9, 2009 17:43

better than "Sad Day."

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 9, 2009 17:46

fabulous song - the kinda song that they would be wise to revisit live - should be easy to pull off....out of time falls into this category, too.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 9, 2009 18:09

One of my faves. Agree with others' comments that they really should dust this off live, it would go down so well.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 9, 2009 23:31

There's also a version by The Epics, but "embedding is disabled by request"
[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-15 23:39 by Deltics.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 10, 2009 00:24

Decembers Children will definitely pull you through.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 10, 2009 00:52

Doxa
Sleepy City
Big Al

- Doxa
From Roy Carr's "An Illustrated Record":

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-10 01:02 by Deltics.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 10, 2009 01:10

One of Bill's favorite tunes.

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: February 10, 2009 10:28

It's so nice to read all your comments and it brings back memories, I remember well when the LP "Stone Age" arrived, and I remember The Stones but and big advertisement in New Musical Express, saying something like: "We were not aware of this album, we don't like the cover, the songs, and it's beyond the standards that we try to relased, Beware: All new Stones songs only from "Rolling Stones Records" From Mick, Keith, Bill, Charlie and Mick.

Date: February 10, 2009 12:41

Deltics, thanks!

- Doxa

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 12, 2010 04:42

Nope, doesn't work for me ... squarely in the middle of what I would call the Stones' "no-man's land" era (between their early blues covers and Satanic Majesties) when they were doing their best to be quirky/folky/poppy. Not the Stones I know and love. Sorry.

Drew

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: September 12, 2010 11:34

Doxa
Sleepy City
Big Al

- Doxa

No. "The Spider and The Fly" of course was the B-side of "Satisfaction".

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: September 12, 2010 13:55

It's beautiful and I love it but it's also a little frustrating. The lyrics run out of steam ('you just don't feel good/and you don't feel alright' is spell-breakingly prosaic) and the 'find her' bit seems, to me, an awkward way to end the chorus. I suppose it sounds like what it is - a song by very talented young writers and performers who were still finding their way.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 13, 2010 01:04

It's got that mid-sixties pop feel, sounds like it could be a Beatles song.

Posted by: rodes ()
Date: November 11, 2015 13:10

My first post here.
Got a rare acetate from the Mighty Avengers Blue turns to grey but with Mick Jagger on vocals and Jimmy Page on guitar.
It comes with a handwritten letter from the leadsinger of The Mighty Avengers.
Will post a part of the mp3 but don't know how do do it.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: November 11, 2015 13:20

On the "25x5" VHS this song has been synchronized with great effect on the footage of Brian Jones' funeral. However, from what I've read Keith actually dislikes the song. I love it, though!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2888
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home