Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Exile On Main St. Project in Seattle
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 7, 2011 23:09

I am trying to assemble musicians for one or more performances of the entire Exile album (hey, the Stones won't do it). I want to do a great performance of the record but not a note-for-note copy with lookalikes, as in a "tribute" band. It would be great to have the gospel singers, horns and all the cool bits. I do guitars. I've heard from a Charlie-influenced drummer and a keyboardist but we haven't played together yet. Anyone in the Seattle area who is interested or may know local musicians please contact me. You can also e-mail me privately at jpc58@msn.com. Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-07 23:24 by 71Tele.

Re: Exile On Main St. Project in Seattle
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 7, 2011 23:15

Damn Tele, wish I lived in the states I know every note on that record..I wouldn't care that you have the guitarists - I can play Let it Loose exactly as the record! Oh well, great idea and good luck putting the band together and make sure it's videoed for us that can't get there!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 7, 2011 23:16

i would join, but zürich is not around the corner, is it? ask eddie vedder. why not?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 8, 2011 01:28

Crap! I wished I lived near enough to help out. Sounds like it would be a lot of fun! I'm down in the Bay Area though....

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 8, 2011 01:36

Some folks did this in Kansas City back in February.
I was not able to attend the show, but I heard it was awesome.

Read about it here -[backtorockville.typepad.com]

""Here's a can't miss engagement: More than two dozen local musicians -- including a horn section and backup singers -- are re-creating in great detail the Stones classic album "Exile on Main St."

The show is Friday night at Crosstown Station, 1522 McGee. The album will be performed in its entirety from start to finish. There will also be performances of other Stones material by a few opening acts. Show time is 10 p.m. Advance tickets are $12. You can get them here. Admission is $15 day of the show.""

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-08 01:36 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: July 8, 2011 03:35

Max'sKansasCity
Some folks did this in Kansas City back in February.
I was not able to attend the show, but I heard it was awesome.

Read about it here -[backtorockville.typepad.com]

""Here's a can't miss engagement: More than two dozen local musicians -- including a horn section and backup singers -- are re-creating in great detail the Stones classic album "Exile on Main St."

The show is Friday night at Crosstown Station, 1522 McGee. The album will be performed in its entirety from start to finish. There will also be performances of other Stones material by a few opening acts. Show time is 10 p.m. Advance tickets are $12. You can get them here. Admission is $15 day of the show.""

Didn't know about this. Thanks.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 8, 2011 03:54

My pleasure man, it sounds cool, be sure to video it when it happens....
ps
I dont know anyone involved in the local gig, but maybe they have
some pointers/ideas for you, maybe tips on getting people up for it....
maybe call the venue, or did the article have any names?

Posted by: leftbank ()
Date: July 8, 2011 06:22

I am in SEA. Wallinford. Still learning Stones songs, (telecaster,fender) not up on Exile numbers, but would be interested in hearing your performance.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: July 8, 2011 06:49

Need someone to play harp on "Turd on the Run"?

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: July 8, 2011 06:59

Tele,

Are you planning to play the Exile Deluxe tunes as well?

Date: July 8, 2011 18:34

uhbuhgullayew
Tele,

My idea (which admittedly is in its infancy) is to do a set of the regular 18 songs and then come out with "Plundered MY Soul" for the encore. What do you think?

Date: July 8, 2011 18:35

DaveG
Need someone to play harp on "Turd on the Run"?

Maybe! We have a potential harp player, but still don't know if he's in. Planning reharsals for early August.

Date: July 8, 2011 19:48

71Tele
uhbuhgullayew
Tele,

My idea (which admittedly is in its infancy) is to do a set of the regular 18 songs and then come out with "Plundered MY Soul" for the encore. What do you think?

Very cool Tele, I like the idea & wish you well. Keep us posted!

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 8, 2011 20:15

I don't know whether you've heard it Tele, but Phish did this last year, and apart from a couple of songs (Tumbling Dice being one) they did a pretty good job. If you haven't heard it there are clips all over You Tube and you can download the whole concert for a few dollars from their web site.

Date: July 8, 2011 22:26

crumbling_mice
I don't know whether you've heard it Tele, but Phish did this last year, and apart from a couple of songs (Tumbling Dice being one) they did a pretty good job. If you haven't heard it there are clips all over You Tube and you can download the whole concert for a few dollars from their web site.

Yes, I have. Thanks though.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 8, 2011 23:50

Sounds like fun. Good luck.

Date: August 11, 2011 15:24

Tele,

Looks like this was just done in Tucson last week:

THE STONES TO COVER THE STONES

Although the excellent local punk rock 'n' roll band HAIRSPRAYFIREANDGIRLS is set to release its second album (in less than a year) later this month, this weekend, they're making good on a dare—and you're invited to witness it.

The band had the idea to cover the Rolling Stones' classic 1972 double album Exile on Main St. in its entirety, and were goaded into putting their words into action. As singer/songwriter/guitarist Josh Levine writes in an e-mail, "The producers of our upcoming album, Jim Waters and Rupert Horne, bet us that we couldn't put 18 songs together in three weeks. After a bottle of brandy, we agreed (to try)," adding, tongue-in-cheek, "so, we're doing it for the money, and I don't think the Stones would disapprove."

The band will break the show into two sets—album one and album two—and will be joined by guests David Clarke on sax, and former Automaton singer Clarisa Friedman on backing vocals.

Catch this special one-off show at 10:30 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 6, at Che's Lounge, 350 N. Fourth Ave. Admission is free, and you can call 623-2088 for more information.

[www.tucsonweekly.com]

Date: August 11, 2011 15:26

71Tele
I am trying to assemble musicians for one or more performances of the entire Exile album (hey, the Stones won't do it). I want to do a great performance of the record but not a note-for-note copy with lookalikes, as in a "tribute" band. It would be great to have the gospel singers, horns and all the cool bits. I do guitars. I've heard from a Charlie-influenced drummer and a keyboardist but we haven't played together yet. Anyone in the Seattle area who is interested or may know local musicians please contact me. You can also e-mail me privately at jpc58@msn.com. Cheers.

Great idea - good luck!

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 11, 2011 17:03

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 11, 2011 17:08

I always wondered why Taylor's involvement with Exile has his guitar in the background why he lets loose at the end of Rocks Off - He played counter rhythm to Keith and for some reason he plays that awesome riff at the end of the song.It seems out of place

play the guitar boy

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 11, 2011 17:16

Even if this has been done I find this a great idea. If you succeed you could follow up with other records (for example BEGGARS BANQUET and LET IT BLEED).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 11, 2011 17:35

Thanks for that, hadn't read it before...a great love for that album and the band.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 11, 2011 19:43

This can't possibly be done too many times - I hope you find your band, 71Tele. Wish I was near enough to come and see it.

Date: August 11, 2011 19:55

OpenG
I always wondered why Taylor's involvement with Exile has his guitar in the background why he lets loose at the end of Rocks Off - He played counter rhythm to Keith and for some reason he plays that awesome riff at the end of the song.It seems out of place

play the guitar boy

Both rhythm guitars on RO are played by Keith. The phase-shifted guitar is Taylor, that increases beautiful in activity toward the ending.

Date: August 12, 2011 01:54

Green Lady
This can't possibly be done too many times - I hope you find your band, 71Tele. Wish I was near enough to come and see it.

Thanks! I was making some progress but drummer had to drop out so I'm back to square one.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes. I hope I can pull this off.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2216
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home