Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What New Albums?
Date: July 7, 2011 11:34

What new titles have you been digging on? I don't ask a question like this out of boredom; I am always interested to see if I have missed out on any good new music. Also the backlog in rock'n roll is so huge, that to this day I still will 'discover' some new name, and have to delve into their catalogue.
E.g it took me years to get into Free, Hawkwind; even Dylan! I don't know why I went so long with not wanting to get into Dylan. I was so busy being a Punk, and could not be bothered with intelligent lyrics and folkies.
But the ebst thing I have discovered in last couple years has easily been Australian rock. Saints, Radio Birdman, Celibate Rifles,Sleepy Jackson, Angels, Beasts Of Bourbon, Empire Of The Sun, Powderfinger, and the Loved Ones.
Temper Trap and Eastern Dark, Died Pretty are names I also heard about.
Rockman discouraged me from checking out the Triffids, but I have to say what I heard so far isn't half bad.
I got carried away with Australian Rock, and posted.
But my main Q is - what new acts OR re-issues have you been checking on?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-07 11:34 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Re: What New Albums?
Date: July 7, 2011 13:10

well albums released in 2011 i like just to name a few:
black country communion-2
mr big- what if...
whitesnake- forevermore
robbie robertson- how to become clairvoyant
king kobra- self titled

archive releases i like:
johnny cash- bootleg volume 2

for backcatalog i've been checking out this year that i overlooked:
THE BAND
bee gees-1967-1972
todd rundgren- 1970-1978
marc bolan and T REX

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: July 7, 2011 13:12

Madrugada - The Nightly Disease Deluxe Edition

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 7, 2011 13:15

Best thing I've heard is Anna Calvi's debut album which is like a cross between Jeff Buckley and PJ Harvey.

And PJ Harvey's Let England Shake is great too.

The others currently spinning at Dagger Towers wheels of steel are the latest by REM (their best since Automatic For The People), Radiohead - the weirdness has been somewhat reined in, Gregg Allman (fantastic modern blues), and Emmylou Harris

Date: July 7, 2011 13:25

the gregg allman album is pretty good but i think T Bone's production is garbage and i am getting tired of albums containing almost/all cover songs. only time i'll let it go is for people like johnny winter or george thorogood who always did a lot of covers or if an artist takes the time to make the song theirs

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 7, 2011 17:02

Been digging the new My Morning Jacket BIG TIME. Fleet Foxes too. It's about 6 months old but, believe it or not, the new ROBIN TROWER is stellar. On par with his '70s work (albeit mellower).

Date: July 8, 2011 00:54

Madrugada. Good deal. When I was talking about Australian acts earlier, I meant to say that I have also heard good music coming out of Scandinavia.
Agree on Anna Calvi.
I keep hearing about this Gregg Allman album? ReallY? Gregg Allman?

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: July 8, 2011 01:01

The new Eddie Vedder live DVD had me digging into the Pearl Jam catalog for their more acoustic style stuff.

Also enjoyed the new Paul Simon Disc

Date: July 8, 2011 01:11

Palace Revolution 2000
Madrugada. Good deal. When I was talking about Australian acts earlier, I meant to say that I have also heard good music coming out of Scandinavia.
Agree on Anna Calvi.
I keep hearing about this Gregg Allman album? ReallY? Gregg Allman?

yeah its good but gregg is just singing covers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1881
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home