Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Snobbery at Rolling Stones Concerts
Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 5, 2011 19:51

EddieByword
P_L_E_A_S_E.......P_L-E_A_S_E.......P__L__E__A__S__E.......SIT DOWN.!!!!!!!!!!!................................

Officially, according to Mick & Ronnie at least, the Stones favourite type of crowd..........mine too...........great appreciation and great fun..............great regret I wasn't there too..........................

Imagine requesting these people to sit down,hahahahaha.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 5, 2011 23:26

When grumpy farts tell me not to dance and sing. If you don't wanna party, stay the f--- home w/ your DVDs.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 5, 2011 23:33

EddieByword
P_L_E_A_S_E.......P_L-E_A_S_E.......P__L__E__A__S__E.......SIT DOWN.!!!!!!!!!!!................................

Officially, according to Mick & Ronnie at least, the Stones favourite type of crowd..........mine too...........great appreciation and great fun..............great regret I wasn't there too..........................

They should have a 'Royal Box' set aside for people who are disabled though I've got to say...as they do in English foootball matches - somewhere where they can see from their seats..............

Above post edited.................

Date: July 5, 2011 23:37

jamesfdouglas
When grumpy farts tell me not to dance and sing. If you don't wanna party, stay the f--- home w/ your DVDs.

lol .....excuse the cliche James but why don't you say what you really think ?.........@#$%& ing hell........great......lol

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 6, 2011 01:25

EddieByword
jamesfdouglas

lol .....excuse the cliche James but why don't you say what you really think ?.........fuc k ing hell........great......lol

I really wonder. Did you guys read my earlier post ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 6, 2011 02:45

Rolling Hansie
EddieByword
jamesfdouglas

lol .....excuse the cliche James but why don't you say what you really think ?.........@#$%& ing hell........great......lol

I really wonder. Did you guys read my earlier post ?

My comment above is just about James' comment......

However I did temporarily forget what you'd written about your wife when I posted my Buenos Aires post but when I remembered I edited that post with the following rider.......They should have a 'Royal Box' set aside for people who are disabled though, I've got to say...as they do in English foootball matches - somewhere where they can see from their seats..............I have every sympathy and can relate...my father has emphysema and my late mother-in-law had Motor Neurone Disease..(She went to Cardiff 1990 then aged 70)...but for the rest I stand by what I think...the main function of a rock'n'roll show is about an exchange of high energy, and if the band is any good my appreciation is naturally shown by dancing...and I think if someone wants to sit there in 'cigar & headphones mode' well of course it's up to them but there's no way I'll be joining them no matter how much they wish that I would...sorry..........Mick is not alone in saying that seeing an audience enjoying a show always feeds back into the performance then back and forth...if it's really good........on,on,on,,,,,,,,,,,,Keith said the aim is a state of nirvana............despite some peoples' notion that the Stones are just about money

P.S. I have to say, I've never received a complaint about my dancing, either about it's quality or where I've been dancing, I've always found a convienient spot away from the main crowd to work out,,,,,,and as for dancing on chairs, that's just mental, not only in terms of selfishness but also "How the hell can you (or two of you) have a good dance on a chair(s) ?"...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-06 12:23 by EddieByword.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 6, 2011 04:17

TE
Oslo[/quote]
That's why I'll never understand Americans and their seated stadium shows. All of the stadium shows I've seen in Europe had only general admission, standing tickets on the field. If someone wishes to sit during the show they could buy a ticket in the stands. I can never imagine watching rock and roll show at the seats.[/quote]

I saw the Stones in '78 in Cleveland among the throbbing mob. Worst concert experience of my life. Why should I have to buy a ticket to see the best rock and roll band in the world, and then have to be jostled by a stadium full of a-holes during the concert?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 6, 2011 04:19

24FPS
TE
Oslo
[i]"That's why I'll never understand Americans and their seated stadium shows. All of the stadium shows I've seen in Europe had only general admission, standing tickets on the field. If someone wishes to sit during the show they could buy a ticket in the stands. I can never imagine watching rock and roll show at the seats.[/quote]

I saw the Stones in '78 in Cleveland among the throbbing mob. Worst concert experience of my life. Why should I have to buy a ticket to see the best rock and roll band in the world, and then have to be jostled by a stadium full of a-holes during the concert?"[/quote]
[/i]

And I can never imagine attending another general admission show. Pure hell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-06 23:42 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 6, 2011 04:25

I love a GA floor combined with reserved seating off the floor. This limits the number of people on the floor (to manageable) and allows folks who wanna sit to sit up in the stands... and allows me to move around on the GA floor (meaning we can move the fk away from people talking too loud or twirling to far/wide).

Neil Young and The Foo Fighters both had this set up, and it was a blast.

Date: July 6, 2011 04:28

Max'sKansasCity
I love a GA floor combined with reserved seating off the floor. This limits the number of people on the floor (to manageable) and allows folks who wanna sit to sit up in the stands... and allows me to move around on the GA floor (meaning we can move the fk away from people talking too loud or twirling to far/wide).

Sounds reasonable. But all-GA shows devolve into a sort of social Darwinism that I am no longer willing to put myself through: Pushing, shoving, long lines...ugh. Been there done that. Never again.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 6, 2011 04:32

I remember George Harrison commenting that Beatlemania gave people the excuse to go crazy. There's an element of that at concerts that does make it a negative experience. I remember getting 8th row seats at a John Cougar concert in the mid-80s. I was looking forward to having such a great view. As Cougar took the stage two a-hole chicks in the FIFTH row jumped up on top of their seats and obstructed our view. People threw things at them and they wouldn't sit down. Security made them get down a couple times, but they'd get back up and would keep an eye out and would only get down again when they saw security coming. Finally two big security guys ran up, grabbed them, and threw them out of the arena. It was a great concert after that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-06 08:38 by 24FPS.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 6, 2011 05:21

people have this idea that just because you are not standing on your seat or on top of someones shoulders and screaming you are not enjoying the show, i do none of those things and have enjoyed every stones show i have ever gone to very much

Date: July 6, 2011 05:34

melillo
people have this idea that just because you are not standing on your seat or on top of someones shoulders and screaming you are not enjoying the show, i do none of those things and have enjoyed every stones show i have ever gone to very much

Thank you!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 6, 2011 06:20

And don't forget the throngs of sing a longs that have to scream out every lyric to each song played and then try to encourage everyone around them to participate with them.

It's amazing what a couple beers can do to a yahoo.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: July 6, 2011 13:27

melillo

Excellent point indeed.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 6, 2011 14:12

It's better in Europe then. Here you can choose whether to buy a standing ticket for the inner field or buy a seat in the grandstand. Standing tickets are usually cheaper. Personally I prefer to stand and come as close as possible to the stage. If somebody starts to dance in front of you you can just move away. The benefit with a fixed seat is that you can come five minutes before the concert and you don't have to jostle one another. And if you must pee or buy another beer or hot dog it's easier in the grandstand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-06 14:19 by Stoneage.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 6, 2011 14:23

melillo

Same here

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 6, 2011 18:03

melillo

Very well said. Thank you

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: July 6, 2011 18:44

doubledoor
Snotty young lady asked me to sit down, so she could relax and enjoy show.
It Didn't happen.

So you ruined her concert experience? IS that what we are to take from this.

Date: July 6, 2011 18:48

jamesfdouglas

What a dick. Yeah everyone pays money to hear you sing. Where do dicks like this come from.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 6, 2011 18:54

I'm with Melillo. Perfect statement.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 6, 2011 20:52

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity

Sounds reasonable. But all-GA shows devolve into a sort of social Darwinism that I am no longer willing to put myself through: Pushing, shoving, long lines...ugh. Been there done that. Never again.

Me too.

I'm also with Mellilo. I don't have to act out my enthusiasm for the Stones.

I pay to see the Stones play and sing. There are some songs in the set that have become "sing-a-longs" and audience participation for those is welcome. But singing along with EVERY song? I don't know if you could call that "snobbery," but there is clearly some sort of "I'm a Fan Who Knows All The Words" grandstanding in play here.

If you've ever been at a concert standing next to a person who "sings" every song (and experienced the amazing correlation between tone-deafness and lack of awareness of it ) you know how their "good time" can absolutely ruin yours. Add a few beers to the mix and they've lost all sense of volume perception while gaining hypersensitivity to "snobs" who glance in their general direction.

To insist the right to "dance" and infringe on the space of people next to you while blocking the view of those behind is somehow indicative of being a better fan is crap. To dismiss those who want to sit (because they probably can't stand for an entire show ) as being "too old" is complete nonsense, especially when you are talking about seeing a band that has been around for 50 years.

The Survival-of-the-Fittest Fan is as not quite as obnoxious as the Just-Here-To-Check-It-Out-I'm-Leaving-Early-It-Was-A-Corporate-Freebie type. At least he's passionate about the Stones. But it could be argued that this wildman party boy is the one who should stay home and do his singing and dancing with a DVD, because that way his "performance" is contained in the bubble world where he exists for his own pleasure, instead of being in a crowd where everyone else be damned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-07 19:14 by loog droog.

Date: July 6, 2011 21:13

loog droog
71Tele
Max'sKansasCity

Me too.

I'm also with Mellilo. I don't have to act out my enthusiasm for the Stones.

I pay to see the Stones play and sing. There are some songs in the set that have become "sing-a-longs" and audience participation for those is welcome. But singing along with EVERY song? I don't know if you could call that "snobbery," but there is clearly some sort of "I'm a Fan Who Knows All The Words" grandstanding in play here.

If you've ever been at a concert standing next to a person who "sings" every song (and experienced the amazing correlation between tone-deafness and lack of awareness of it ) you know how their "good time" can absolutely ruin yours. Add a few beers to the mix and they've lost all sense of volume perception while gaining hypersensitivity to "snobs" who glance in their general direction.

To insist the right to "dance" and infringe on the space of people next to you while blocking the view of those behind them is somehow indicative of being a better fan is crap. To dismiss those who want to sit (because they probably can't stand for an entire show ) as being "too old" is complete nonsense, especially when you are talking about seeing a band that has been around for 50 years.

The Survival-of-the-Fittest Fan is as not quite as obnoxious as the Just-Here-To-Check-It-Out-I'm-Leaving-Early-It-Was-A-Corporate-Freebie type. At least he's passionate about the Stones. But it could be argued that this wildman party boy is the one who should stay home and do his singing and dancing with a DVD, because that way his "performance" is contained in the bubble world where he exists for his own pleasure, instead of being in a crowd where everyone else be damned.

Anyone who ruins others experience by singing loud and getting in others space by dancing, is a jerk,period. Don't think that they are just jerks at concerts. I am sure their whole life is like this.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 6, 2011 21:42

71Tele
Max'sKansasCity

Springsteen does that as well. I was never interested in getting into the pit. So I jsut showed up right before the show was supposed to satrt and hung out next to the sound booth. Worked very well on several occasions.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 6, 2011 22:02

sweetcharmedlife

Springsteen does that as well. I was never interested in getting into the pit. So I jsut showed up right before the show was supposed to satrt and hung out next to the sound booth. Worked very well on several occasions.

eggzachary smiling smiley
I do not want to to get squished up by the stage, We usually preparty.... then skip the opening act and arrive just in time and then hang back about 5 feet from the back of the "mob"... then if/WHEN the "tone deaf wonderkin" starts screamsingingingzzeragging the words, or some drunk fk wants to start playing body pinball, we just>>>>> wander away >>>>to the other side.

Shows with reserved seating in the stands and a GA floor limits the number of people on the floor and usually puts the back of the mob at 20th-30th row straight away and about 10th-15th row off to the sides.

I would rather be on a GA floor than stuck in a seat next to the fastest yabbing squawlker in the world, telling me, their frind the people behind them, the people in front of them, the whole freekin world the history of everything.... then there is the over drunk vomitter, and/or how about the the overbearing parent who brought their 9 years olds to an adult event and they glaring at some people (not that I ever doing anything) for doing something and/or the overzealous security guard and/or the bad sightlines in some seats then there is the the silly billy not to mention WILLY!!! ... I WANNA MOVE>>>>>> over there... away..... away..... and just get back enjoying the concert. GA floors rulesmiling smiley

Date: July 6, 2011 22:12

What I love about reserved seating is that I can skip the opening act. It may be "snobbery" but I feel no obligation to be tortured and bored to death by an artist I have no interest in. This has become an issue on recent Stones tours where often bands are hired to open that I really can't stand. I love getting in my seat a few minutes before the lights go dark (but NEVER after - I hate the a-holes who pop in in the middle of the first song and then expect you to get up and stand back while they find their seat in the dark, very bad concert behavior). The last Stones GA show I went to was Roseland. It wasn't bad because it was such a small venue, but it meant having to claim my space on the floor early and endure Johnny Lang's blues wankery and the long break between acts. By then your feet are killing you and God help you if you have to go pee. But it was a great show anyway...Anaheim '78 on the other hand was a nightmare, starting with the cue to get in the stadium the night before, then having to endure all the indignities of a casual LA rock crowd. Probably my worst Stones show experience (though not saying it was the worst performance-wise).

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: July 6, 2011 22:18

Counting the red seats from left to right. The 4th section of red seats, right above it, the tunnel leading to the concession/bathrooms. That's the best spot for a show, plenty of dancing room and the speakers point right at that spot. Spent many a night at that spot @ Madison Square Garden.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 918
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home