Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

After listening to "Crosseyed Heart"
Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: September 26, 2015 13:53

I've been listening to that record and it grows on me every time.

During one of the listenings I suddenly thought: "Why not let Steve Jordan produce the next Stones album?"

I think that Steve has put Keith back to his roots still with a very modern sound.
Probably Steve would put the Stones back to their roots as well. It would be great to have the Stones make an album similar in style with Keith's but in their own manners though!

Whats your opinion?

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Re: After listening to "Crosseyed Heart"
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 26, 2015 14:07

Fan Since 1964

During one of the listenings I suddenly thought: "Why not let Steve Jordan produce the next Stones album?"

I think that Steve has put Keith back to his roots still with a very modern sound.
Probably Steve would put the Stones back to their roots as well. It would be great to have the Stones make an album similar in style with Keith's but in their own manners though!

Whats your opinion?

Spot on! Thanks!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 26, 2015 14:12

Steve Jordan would be the right choice. The oroblem is Don Was.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 26, 2015 14:22

Cant image Mick Jagger accepting Steve Jordan.
Steve Lillywhite would be the best producer - Dirty Work is their best produced and best sounding album ever. But Mick will call Don Was anyway.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 26, 2015 14:22

I like it. I probably would like a few more rockers but it is a fine listen. Definitely prefer it to say "A Bigger Bang".

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: September 26, 2015 14:24

KRiffhard

The problem is not Don Was , he is just chosen by the Glimmer Twins. The problem is that Steve Jordan is from the Keith`camp. Never heard Mick saying any positiv things about Steve Jordan. "The drums are too loud. The drums are too high in the mix " and so on.That comes to my mind.

Tom

Date: September 26, 2015 14:37

electricmud
KRiffhard

The problem is not Don Was , he is just chosen by the Glimmer Twins. The problem is that Steve Jordan is from the Keith`camp. Never heard Mick saying any positiv things about Steve Jordan. "The drums are too loud. The drums are too high in the mix " and so on.That comes to my mind.

Tom

True, but this time they weren't too loud. Maybe Mick will consider it... smiling smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 26, 2015 14:38

crholmstrom
I like it. I probably would like a few more rockers but it is a fine listen. Definitely prefer it to say "A Bigger Bang".

Wouldn't it be great to hear Mick sing "It's a Struggle" Hell, even Charlie once said --"Damn he should have kept that one for the Stones"

Date: September 26, 2015 14:55

DandelionPowderman
electricmud
KRiffhard

Tom

True, but this time they weren't too loud. Maybe Mick will consider it... smiling smiley

Mick wants his voice too high in the mix!

Date: September 26, 2015 15:03

Chris Fountain
Wouldn't it be great to hear Mick sing "It's a Struggle" Hell, even Charlie once said --"Damn he should have kept that one for the Stones"

Impossible. Mick couldnt sing "Struggle" even if he wanted to. The structure and everything else isnt suited for Micks singing. Charlie seems to not know what he´s talking about. He should bang the drums and keep quiet. Keith once said that his writing is different when he writes for Micks voice, he has to write in a more simple way for Mick than for his solo-albums.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: September 26, 2015 16:26

KRiffhard
DandelionPowderman
electricmud
KRiffhard

Tom

Mick wants his voice too high in the mix!

Not at all. The fact is he prefers it pretty low in the mix.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 26, 2015 17:41

Well, i really would like Steve Jordan to produce the next Stones album, after listening to CH..
CH is a great great produced album. Like it more than Bigger Bang,Bridges,Voodoo Lounge(production wise).
Jagger will put his Veto against Steve, i think. Probably just to @#$%& up Keef. If we get Don Was as the producer for a new Stones album, well....

Maybe they should hire T Bone Burnett for the next one.

Just hoping the next Stones album will be great.

Jeroen

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: September 26, 2015 17:56

Fan Since 1964

Whats your opinion?

Good idea.The others recently have been a disaster

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 26, 2015 18:04

DandelionPowderman
electricmud
KRiffhard

Tom

I guess it's a matter of taste as to whether they are "too" loud but I'd say they are getting pretty close on Substantial Damage. smoking smiley

A Jagger quote concerning producers: (from timeisonourside)

The Rolling Stones will probably use a producer again at some point, but to produce a band like the Stones isn't easy. There's not that many guys who can really do a good job. A lot of guys who call themselves producers are really engineers. A producer, to me, is someone who has the authority to change an arrangement, a tempo. A lot of these guys are really just engineers who want to be called producers on the label. They don't have the authority to turn around and say, Hey, Mick, that's a bunch of shit, like Nile (Rodgers) or Bill (Laswell) would.

- Mick Jagger, January 1985

I've suggested Jordan would be a good one to try out. He certainly did a nice job with Keith's record, but if Mick thought the job would be tough to find a match in 1985, I imagine it would be even tougher in 2015. These guys are pretty set in their ways and not prone to giving up authority for Stones musical decisions is my guess. An example of Keith attitude in this quote which ties in with the above one from Mick:

"When we were mixing in New York, Steve Lillywhite changed the speed in one song, sped it up a little bit, and it was hardly anything. Keith walked in and he just went ballistic. He goes Nobody, @#$%& nobody, @#$%& with the Rolling Stones! That tempo was cut at that speed and it stays at that speed!"

- Dave Jerden, engineer

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 26, 2015 19:06

HMS
Cant image Mick Jagger accepting Steve Jordan.
Steve Lillywhite would be the best producer - Dirty Work is their best produced and best sounding album ever. But Mick will call Don Was anyway.

You have got to stop taking LSD or whatever hallucinogens you've been gobbling up when you make such incredibly befuddling statements about anything to do with The Rolling Stones' worst LP ever.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 26, 2015 20:35

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
electricmud
KRiffhard

Tom

I guess it's a matter of taste as to whether they are "too" loud but I'd say they are getting pretty close on Substantial Damage. smoking smiley

The Rolling Stones will probably use a producer again at some point, but to produce a band like the Stones isn't easy. There's not that many guys who can really do a good job. A lot of guys who call themselves producers are really engineers. A producer, to me, is someone who has the authority to change an arrangement, a tempo. A lot of these guys are really just engineers who want to be called producers on the label. They don't have the authority to turn around and say, Hey, Mick, that's a bunch of shit, like Nile (Rodgers) or Bill (Laswell) would.

I've suggested Jordan would be a good one to try out. He certainly did a nice job with Keith's record, but if Mick thought the job would be tough to find a match in 1985, I imagine it would be even tougher in 2015. These guys are pretty set in their ways and not prone to giving up authority for Stones musical decisions is my guess. An example of Keith attitude in this quote which ties in with the above one from Mick:

"When we were mixing in New York, Steve Lillywhite changed the speed in one song, sped it up a little bit, and it was hardly anything. Keith walked in and he just went ballistic. He goes Nobody, @#$%& nobody, @#$%& with the Rolling Stones! That tempo was cut at that speed and it stays at that speed!"

- Dave Jerden, engineer

Mick is known to have an horrible attitude towards producers.
(Quotes from the L.A. Time)

Mick on Rick Rubin:

"We haven't had any fistfights, but Rick and I are both strong-minded. . . . I don't want to go into it." (1992)

Rick on Mick:

"At one point while we were making the record, Mick pulled me out of the control room and talked to me in the hallway.
And one of the things he told me in that conversation was I was worse than Keith (Richards)" (1992)

And the fact that Mick has never released his album with the Red Devils (produced by Rubin) is beyond comprehension.
Possible reasons - still has hatred towards Rick Rubin and/or doesn't think the album is flashy and contemporary enough.
If Mick would only realize, the lack of flashiness is what many fans would hope for(see Keith's Crosseyed Heart),
It's certainly more sincere than the contrived pop/rock crap he's been known to release.

Date: September 26, 2015 20:53

All this is oh so true.
But Mick desperately wants to be a contemporary singer and wants to be admired by a younger generation of music-fans. All he desires is to be seen as "hip" by younger folks. Chances were slim in 1985 being already 40+ and vanished completely over the years. But somehow he resists to live with the fact, that younger people in general and non-Stones-fans are NOT interested in him as a person or a musician. Take it like a man, Mick! Learn from Keith. He doesnt mind who likes him or not and he will never bend over!

Date: September 26, 2015 20:57

GasLightStreet, its hard to believe that you really don´t like anything about this great album from 1986!

Not even the slightest sympathy for any of the songs???

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 26, 2015 21:00

HMS
All this is oh so true.
But Mick desperately wants to be a contemporary singer and wants to be admired by a younger generation of music-fans. All he desires is to be seen as "hip" by younger folks. Chances were slim in 1985 being already 40+ and vanished completely over the years. But somehow he resists to live with the fact, that younger people in general and non-Stones-fans are NOT interested in him as a person or a musician. Take it like a man, Mick! Learn from Keith. He doesnt mind who likes him or not and he will never bend over!

Your knowledge of what Mick wants and desires at this point in his life is a bit presumptuous.

Date: September 26, 2015 22:01

He always wanted the Stones sound more "contemporary", he´s obviously the one who orders a busload of young models for the frontrow when cameras are rolling. Not so long ago he tried to appeal to a younger generation with the Superheavy-project. I see him as a man who always wanted and wants to be loved by folks much younger than himself. And I see no indication that he has changed a bit in the last few years.

Date: September 26, 2015 22:24

"It would be nice to have a new album, but people don't like the new album when you play it onstage.They glumly look at you. 'OK, it will be over in a minute'. It's not a good excuse, but it's the truth and has to be said."
Mick (2013)

This is the truth only if new songs will be like 'Sweet neo con', 'Look what the cat...' or your useless home made demos ala 'Goddess/Alfie/Superheavy!

Date: September 26, 2015 22:30

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
electricmud
KRiffhard

Tom

- Dave Jerden, engineer

Compared to the shockingly loud drums on TIC, and partially on MO, there is no question of the drums being more integrated into the mix on CH.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 26, 2015 22:35

KRiffhard
"It would be nice to have a new album, but people don't like the new album when you play it onstage.They glumly look at you. 'OK, it will be over in a minute'. It's not a good excuse, but it's the truth and has to be said."
Mick (2013)

This is the truth only if new songs will be like 'Sweet neo con', 'Look what the cat...' or your useless home made demos ala 'Goddess/Alfie/Superheavy!

Yet alone albums like DIRTY WORK or BRIDGES TO BABYLON where there aren't any singles, er, good singles!!!!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 26, 2015 23:48

The drums are fantastic on this album, at least to my unsophisticated ears. But, it's a pipe dream to think he would be chosen to produce a new Stones album. Stranger things have happened though...

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 27, 2015 00:22

HMS
Charlie seems to not know what he´s talking about.

HA HA HA, this one belongs in another thread [www.iorr.org]

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 27, 2015 04:38

I think Keith has set the bar extremely high for a Stones album. It has to be great, and Im not so sure they can top CROSSEYED HEART.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: September 27, 2015 04:48

Yes I thought the exact same thing - Steve would be a great choice as producer. I worry that Don Was is simply a "yes" who does whatever Mick and Keith tell him, rather than challenging them to do better....

Date: September 27, 2015 08:23

Bashlets
I think Keith has set the bar extremely high for a Stones album. It has to be great, and Im not so sure they can top CROSSEYED HEART.

thumbs up

Date: September 27, 2015 11:24

HMS
I see him as a man who always wanted and wants to be loved by folks much younger than himself. And I see no indication that he has changed a bit in the last few years.

His appearance with Taylor Swift is best proof, isnt it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home