Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT?: Any Orange Tiny Terror Players?
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 29, 2011 23:36

Hello all,
I will be checking out an Orange Tiny Terror this weekend. I've read a lot reviews but wondering if any of you have played one.

Did the Stones ever use Orange amps?

I'm curious about thier bass response. I know I can't expect much from a 15w amp but.....

Also, how do you all think it would stack up against a Marshall Class 5?

Any thoughts, opines, etc.......always appreciated

Re: OT?: Any Orange Tiny Terror Players?
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 29, 2011 23:49

The Tiny Terror is nice, midway between a Marshall and HiWatt sound. Far more versatile than the Class Five.

But I don't like Marshall's at all though. The only nice ones where the early 80's JCM 800's, and the 2550. The rest....

Mathijs

Date: June 30, 2011 04:30

Thank you! Over the years I have come to trust your opinions so I appreciate
you weighing in.
It sounds like what I am looking for. Im more excited to play it now!
I am a Fender amp guy myself. I own a 2011 60w Supersonic and I just love it.

Which amps do you favor?

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: June 30, 2011 04:59

I really like Orange amps and have a 30-watt head but our guitar player has a Tiny Terror. It sounds great and we used it, through a 1 X 12 Celestion, for most of the lead overdubs on our recent sessions. Of course it's very portable as an added bonus.

Date: June 30, 2011 05:41

Very cool. Yes, portability is a concern here.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: June 30, 2011 09:05

there's always an alternative, Koch Studiotone 20w is cheaper and more versatile, suitable for any style.

Date: June 30, 2011 10:59

Child Of Clay
there's always an alternative, Koch Studiotone 20w is cheaper and more versatile, suitable for any style.

One warning though -you're paying top dollar for Koch because they're made in the Neterlands. And as any amp build in the Netherlands, UK or even US, they are far more expensive than anything made in the Far East. That doesn't matter if you get some top notch boutique amp, but Koch is just PCB with very cheap components. I once opened one up for a friend of mine and was amazed about how cheap all components where. Chinese transformars and tubes, and very cheap caps that where already leaking.

Mathijs

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 30, 2011 11:29

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-09 20:32 by vudicus.

Date: June 30, 2011 13:17

Mathijs
Child Of Clay

One warning though -you're paying top dollar for Koch because they're made in the Neterlands. And as any amp build in the Netherlands, UK or even US, they are far more expensive than anything made in the Far East. That doesn't matter if you get some top notch boutique amp, but Koch is just PCB with very cheap components. I once opened one up for a friend of mine and was amazed about how cheap all components where. Chinese transformars and tubes, and very cheap caps that where already leaking.

Mathijs

well I got a deal... and 4th year going without trouble whatsoever. Never heard of anyone having trouble with these newer models, transfromer problems seemed to plaque some older ones.
On the other hand at least in Helsinki, Orange amps used to be the ones most often brought in for repairs. And this I heard from a guitar player who has been in working bands here for more than 50 years! And I got the Koch after he bought one.
The guy's opened for Jimi Hendrix, Cream and Hollies, among others, so I kinda trust his word on these matters!

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: June 30, 2011 23:00

Hey cafaro- check out the egnater rebel 20. You get both 6v6 an el84 with a dial down on the watts. Very great little amp. More versatile than tiny terror (TT is a great amp). Last time I recorded no one could believe I was using this amp because of it's great sound. It sounded better than the other guitar player's 5k Comet amp. He even agreed.

Go Dawgs!

Date: June 30, 2011 23:36

Child Of Clay
Mathijs
Child Of Clay

Mathijs

well I got a deal... and 4th year going without trouble whatsoever. Never heard of anyone having trouble with these newer models, transfromer problems seemed to plaque some older ones.
On the other hand at least in Helsinki, Orange amps used to be the ones most often brought in for repairs. And this I heard from a guitar player who has been in working bands here for more than 50 years! And I got the Koch after he bought one.
The guy's opened for Jimi Hendrix, Cream and Hollies, among others, so I kinda trust his word on these matters!

I think you got me wrong. I did not mean to say Koch where bad amps, or at least any worse than any other non-PTP, East-Asian made amp. The thing is that you are generally paying quite big bucks for a Koch, bigger bucks than what you would expect if you open one up and see how they are build and of what components. You'd expect from a Chinese made Orange, like the Tiny Terror is, that it does not withstand heavy use for a longer period of time -say a gig and two rehearsals a week for two years in a row. But that's not bad, because they are quite cheap, and are easily serviced.

My point is -if you want a nice amp for a low to decent price buy any Far-Eastern made amp, like Orange, Vox, Marshall or Fender. If you want a very good amp for more money buy anything more boutique, either a good PTP Marshall, Vox, Mesa or Fender, or any of the boutique names. These will last 20 years, five gigs a week. To me, Koch is Far-Eastern quality for quite a boutique price.

Mathijs

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: July 1, 2011 02:18

I had a Tiny Terror and then I saw the light and bought a Fender Deluxe Reverb. The Tiny Terror is a good amp. Mine was a Korean made amp and it never caused me any problems, I gigged with it and it had a great sound but if you're into tone get a Fender amp.....Save a little and get a Fender amp. The new Hot Rods have been well received...again I've had a Deville 2x12 but the Deluxe has a way better sound for the same money. Depends on what you're trying to achieve.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: July 1, 2011 13:46

Mathijs
Child Of Clay
Mathijs
Child Of Clay

Mathijs

I think you got me wrong. I did not mean to say Koch where bad amps, or at least any worse than any other non-PTP, East-Asian made amp. The thing is that you are generally paying quite big bucks for a Koch, bigger bucks than what you would expect if you open one up and see how they are build and of what components. You'd expect from a Chinese made Orange, like the Tiny Terror is, that it does not withstand heavy use for a longer period of time -say a gig and two rehearsals a week for two years in a row. But that's not bad, because they are quite cheap, and are easily serviced.

My point is -if you want a nice amp for a low to decent price buy any Far-Eastern made amp, like Orange, Vox, Marshall or Fender. If you want a very good amp for more money buy anything more boutique, either a good PTP Marshall, Vox, Mesa or Fender, or any of the boutique names. These will last 20 years, five gigs a week. To me, Koch is Far-Eastern quality for quite a boutique price.

Mathijs

by versatile I meant (especially) the back panel of Studiotone. Not going into detail, but I paid the price for the rec out options, mainly. Easy for them to ask for that since none of the other amps mentioned here have those properties. And if a lifetime Vox-user decides to make one his main gigging amp... well, whatever.
BTW, I wasn't even aware of all these variations of Tiny Terror amps, yesterday my first googling yielded a more expensive model.
Another thing is that I've found during these internet years, that no matter how good a product is, there are always bad reviews to be found. I play music, not football with this amp, so if it sounds great, I'm not going to open it and look at how it's built.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 1, 2011 15:19

NickB
I had a Tiny Terror and then I saw the light and bought a Fender Deluxe Reverb. The Tiny Terror is a good amp. Mine was a Korean made amp and it never caused me any problems, I gigged with it and it had a great sound but if you're into tone get a Fender amp.....Save a little and get a Fender amp. The new Hot Rods have been well received...again I've had a Deville 2x12 but the Deluxe has a way better sound for the same money. Depends on what you're trying to achieve.

The Fender HotRod series are very popular because they are cheap Fender tube amps and look like the 50's tweed ones. Now who doesn't want one of those! But you also see them a lot for sale on 2nd hand websites. Mainly because after a while the user realizes that there's a lot wrong with them. They are way too loud, sound harsh, the overdrive channel sounds terrible (so people try out overdrive pedals on the clean channel), they are very heavy, etc etc. I'm sure for some people they are right, but if you go that way, please try them out extensively.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: July 1, 2011 15:58

Koen- I couldnt agree more. For the price of some of the newer tweed amps you can find 70s silverface fender's. Bassman's from this period are out there so are champs for a steal. Parts,workmanship all better and they sound great. Not as good as the 50s stuff but much much better than the current Mexico or Chinese garbage that eat tubes have crappy speakers or sound like they are about to fall about after average use overtime. Fender's qc seems to have gotten worse not better. Very disappointing. Mass produced garbage with a few diamonds if you are willing to search for through the heap.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: July 2, 2011 10:53

Koen
NickB

The Fender HotRod series are very popular because they are cheap Fender tube amps and look like the 50's tweed ones. Now who doesn't want one of those! But you also see them a lot for sale on 2nd hand websites. Mainly because after a while the user realizes that there's a lot wrong with them. They are way too loud, sound harsh, the overdrive channel sounds terrible (so people try out overdrive pedals on the clean channel), they are very heavy, etc etc. I'm sure for some people they are right, but if you go that way, please try them out extensively.

Very true about the Hot Rods. I had a 2x12 DeVille. It weighed a ton, just ridiculously heavy, and sounded like crap when the volume was anywhere below 2-1/2 to 3. Once it was turned up to 3 or above, it actually sounded pretty good, but was ungodly loud. It was fine for playing live, but not for band practice.

A lot of what I've read about it and the other models say the same things. But there was a thread a while back that talked about the new version 3's, and supposedly Fender fixed a lot of the complaints.

I read somewhere a few months back that the Tiny Terrors made, If I recall correctly, in or around the late 90's are supposed to be better than the newer ones. Something about changing factories and/or countries of manufacture resulted in a drop in sound quality. Which seems to be a common thing you hear about guitars and amps these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-02 11:13 by bustedtrousers.

Date: July 2, 2011 12:50

Child Of Clay

Mathijs

by versatile I meant (especially) the back panel of Studiotone. Not going into detail, but I paid the price for the rec out options, mainly. Easy for them to ask for that since none of the other amps mentioned here have those properties. And if a lifetime Vox-user decides to make one his main gigging amp... well, whatever.
[/quote]

The Studiotone is a nice amp with nice features, no doubt. But is it worth 1100 euro's new? No, not at all in my opinion. If this amp would have been made in the Far-East you would have gotten exactly the same amp with exactly the same components with exactly the same build quality, but the price tag would have been 600 euro's or so. Take the VOX AC-15 C1 for example -it's 500 new. Add a cab/amp simulator to the line or speaker output and you have basically the same package as the Studiotone, with the same internal components and build quality.

For 1100 euro's -the price of the PCB Studiotone- you can get a handwired point-to-point AC-15HW1, that sonically blows anything PCB made out of the water, unless you go to real expensive amps like some Boogie's.

What I am saying is: the Studiotone is a nice amp with some good tone's, but it just is way too expensive for what your getting. And that's because it is made in a country that where it just is not possible to build cheap electronic equipment.

Mathijs

Date: July 2, 2011 13:01

bustedtrousers

A lot of what I've read about it and the other models say the same things. But there was a thread a while back that talked about the new version 3's, and supposedly Fender fixed a lot of the complaints.

I read somewhere a few months back that the Tiny Terrors made, If I recall correctly, in or around the late 90's are supposed to be better than the newer ones. Something about changing factories and/or countries of manufacture resulted in a drop in sound quality. Which seems to be a common thing you hear about guitars and amps these days.

Concerning the Fender Deluxe III: it is a nice amp, certainly improved upon in many respects, but still only has a usable clean channel, the distrotion is atrocious. And, it only sounds nice when turned up loud, very loud. Still, it is a cheap amp, with a cheap Chinese speaker that really can be improved upon. There's many improved versions of these kind of Tweed amps, that deliver better sound in a more manageble sound level. Take the Cornell Romany Pro Plus for example, but these are far more expensive.

In the end, as I state above -you get what you pay for. If you want an amp that has great sound at both high and low sound levels you need an output transformer with multiple output stages. This kind of transformer costs about $300 (depending on size), wheras the transformer used in the Deluxe III is a simple one-stage step-up transformer that costs around $50.The Deluxe has 2 input tubes for the input stage of the two channels, wheras if you want a good clean channel and a good overdrive channel you need a minumum of four input tubes. Ofcourse this is more complex, and costs more. A Chinese made Fender speaker has a transer (OEM) price of roughly $4, whereas a good UK made Celestion has a transfer price of around $55.

You get what you pay for.

Mathijs

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 2, 2011 13:53

bustedtrousers

They fixed the volumepot so it doesn't go to super loud at 2-3, but more gradually. But the sound still hasn't improved much.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: July 2, 2011 21:16

No...only tiny togers

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: July 3, 2011 01:22

Good point. Jagger and his new group is like flipping the bird at Keith. The Stones are not on Micks mind. IMO.

Date: July 3, 2011 01:56

Midnight Toker
Good point. Jagger and his new group is like flipping the bird at Keith. The Stones are not on Micks mind. IMO.

Who cares? And why this post in this thread? Why this post at all?

Who cares?

Mathijs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1770
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home