Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT- People talk Bono's taxes - don't forget The Edge's Malibu plan
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: June 25, 2011 19:01

thankfully, SOUNDLY rejected this week - the epitome of celebrity hypocrisy if you ask me

[articles.latimes.com]

Re: OT- People talk Bono's taxes - don't forget The Edge's Malibu plan
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: June 25, 2011 19:06

Seems he wants to live where the streets have no name...

Drew

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: June 25, 2011 19:25

Yeah, that was absolutely bizarre. Made no sense whatsoever - no matter who it is.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 25, 2011 19:57

"In 38 years of this commission's existence, this is one of the three worst projects that I've seen in terms of environmental devastation," Peter Douglas, the agency's executive director, said in an interview after the vote. "It's a contradiction in terms — you can't be serious about being an environmentalist and pick this location" given the effects on habitat, land formation, scenic views and water quality.

Douglas said he expected the matter to end up in court.

Evans has been trying to win permits since 2006 to build his home and four others in the Sweetwater Mesa area, hiring prominent lobbyists and promoting the development as environmentally friendly — a notion many conservationists derided.

No dice edge, uh, I mean Evans.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 25, 2011 19:59

Morality vs. double standard.

Other people have to behave nice - I can do whatever I want.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 25, 2011 20:08

hbwriter
thankfully, SOUNDLY rejected this week - the epitome of celebrity hypocrisy if you ask me

[articles.latimes.com]

only matched by Bono himself.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 25, 2011 20:08

Well Evans and Company are playing here in Miami next Wednesday. I will not attend as Stadium shows are no better than watching a concert on TV from home. One exception- the Stones VooDoo Lounge show in Raleigh was plausible because Carter-Findley Stadium seats are on top of the field itself. Sunlife Stadium does not offer any good seating for this type of event. The site views are horrific and most folks will simply watch the concert via big screens.

Is it worth hundreds of dollars?

As far as the Malibu situation, first thing that enters mind is "Earthquake!" and the Pacific is cold.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 25, 2011 20:26

Michael Crichton once was flying on someone's Gulfstream jet having a conversation with an unnamed pop star. The pop star was telling Crichton what they could do for the environment. Crichton said, "I told him, `We have no right to be having this conversation.'" Because their carbon footprints from riding in that Gulfstream were ridiculous.

Celebrities and their carbon footprints >>> [www.guardian.co.uk]

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: June 25, 2011 21:56

This article (see below) somehow dovetails nicely with U2's Bono and The Edge's plans to avoid tax and live in a Malibu reserve...being the moral heroes that they present themselves to be...well, here is another supposed hero of the progressive 'movement'...and yet more clay feet...fascinating how the elites believe that their public politically-correct sanctimony cancels out their private avarice.

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2011/06/24/the-failure-of-al-gore-part-one/

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 25, 2011 23:58

Turd On The Run
This article (see below) somehow dovetails nicely with U2's Bono and The Edge's plans to avoid tax and live in a Malibu reserve...being the moral heroes that they present themselves to be...well, here is another supposed hero of the progressive 'movement'...and yet more clay feet...fascinating how the elites believe that their public politically-correct sanctimony cancels out their private avarice.

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2011/06/24/the-failure-of-al-gore-part-one/
thumbs up Exactly

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 26, 2011 10:40

fascinating how the elites believe that their public politically-correct sanctimony cancels out their private avarice

The elite policitally correct santimoney is all part of the scheme to keep us where we are and them where they are.

We have to be controlled and they use poster boys and girls to help do it.

Date: September 8, 2011 06:58

He still doesn't get it:

The Edge jumped on board with the other property owners who are suing the California Coastal Commission because of the denied building permits.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 8, 2011 07:02

Let's not forget the OP's right wing agenda.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: September 8, 2011 13:30

Hi all,nothing surprises me about this bunch of tossers,Johnny One Note and his 36 foot pedal sound effects been conning people for years

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: September 8, 2011 17:25

sweetcharmedlife
Let's not forget the OP's right wing agenda.

Are you being droll? Since when is protecting the environment on any right-wing agenda.

Date: September 8, 2011 20:41

That's how it is in the United States: if you're told no, you sue. No one can take being told no anymore. It used to mean no, now it means sue me. So it's either yes you can build your whatever on this hill or sue me.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 8, 2011 21:08

The U2 tour was a disappointment IMO. The sound sucked .Wasn't aware that some of their stuff is prerecorded. Evident in the opener and during Zooropa. Achrung Baby Tour blew 360 away.

Starting not to like these guys as much as I used to.

Date: September 8, 2011 21:35

DragonSky
That's how it is in the United States: if you're told no, you sue. No one can take being told no anymore. It used to mean no, now it means sue me. So it's either yes you can build your whatever on this hill or sue me.

True and it goes deeper than that these days. Forget about telling anyone that they can't do something, even if you ASK someone to refrain from doing something that they shouldn't (smoking in non-smoking areas, quieting down a bit on their cell in line or in a library, etc) you get your head blown off with a barrage of profanity with looks that can kill.

Date: September 8, 2011 21:47

That's why I keep a machete in my truck...

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 8, 2011 21:51

DragonSky
That's why I keep a machete in my truck...

I dig that! Good idea. . ..

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: September 8, 2011 21:56

Dragon, are you in Miami? Sure sounds like it. smiling smiley

Posted by: fate268 ()
Date: September 8, 2011 21:56

yea...but Stones in 1972

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: September 8, 2011 22:05

luv me a cutlass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-21 22:11 by paulm.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 8, 2011 22:50

GravityBoy
fascinating how the elites believe that their public politically-correct sanctimony cancels out their private avarice

The elite policitally correct santimoney is all part of the scheme to keep us where we are and them where they are.

We have to be controlled and they use poster boys and girls to help do it.
thumbs up

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 8, 2011 22:58

uhbuhgullayew
DragonSky

True and it goes deeper than that these days. Forget about telling anyone that they can't do something, even if you ASK someone to refrain from doing something that they shouldn't (smoking in non-smoking areas, quieting down a bit on their cell in line or in a library, etc) you get your head blown off with a barrage of profanity with looks that can kill.

Uhbuhgullayew...

Wanna have some fun? When stuck close to someone being overly loud on a cell phone, start talking about THEM. Not TO them, just ABOUT them. Done correctly, they will eventually pick up on it and are generally embarassed. I too have received the "looks that kill" and decided a different approach. My kids and friends and I are having great fun from time to time. Another option is to make up what you believe the other side of the conversation would be. You will eventually be questioned about this and can just reply to the effect of , "As loud as you were talking, I just assumed that you were wanting to make this a group conversation". After being told to "Mind my own business", I'll generally say, "I can't. Your conversation is drowning out the voices in my head."

Peace
Mr DJA

Date: September 9, 2011 01:20

mr_dja
uhbuhgullayew
DragonSky

Uhbuhgullayew...

Wanna have some fun? When stuck close to someone being overly loud on a cell phone, start talking about THEM. Not TO them, just ABOUT them. Done correctly, they will eventually pick up on it and are generally embarassed. I too have received the "looks that kill" and decided a different approach. My kids and friends and I are having great fun from time to time. Another option is to make up what you believe the other side of the conversation would be. You will eventually be questioned about this and can just reply to the effect of , "As loud as you were talking, I just assumed that you were wanting to make this a group conversation". After being told to "Mind my own business", I'll generally say, "I can't. Your conversation is drowning out the voices in my head."

Peace
Mr DJA

I like it!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 9, 2011 01:34

I'm a Californian and I keep up with the Coastal Commission. Don't always agree with them but as a good liberal do not view them as "right wingers."

We know how green and beautiful Ireland is. I'm sure Bono and "The Edge" would be aghast if some smart ass musician wanted to build his "dream home" and change the character of land held sacred in "their" country.

The facts show that "The Edge" tried to buy his way into getting laws changed to accomodate him.

I've gotten rather bored with both of these U2 characters using major US media and politicians (Clinton and others) to benefit and glorify themselves.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: September 9, 2011 12:24

Stonesrule you"re getting fed up with that shower of Arseholes ,think of how bad it is here in Ireland.Over here they are on a par with The Almighty,people look at you funny when you dont bend the knee.At least I dont have to listen to them.Slainte.

Date: May 19, 2012 04:51

BUMP

Posted by: SurfinStonesDude ()
Date: May 19, 2012 05:00

THE EDGE thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2073
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home