Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rolling Stones and Queen ... any collaboration known?
Posted by: muenke ()
Date: June 25, 2011 15:18

Hi there,

I´m just listening to "Queen II" very very loud (what a cool freaky recording) and wondering if there had been any relation between RS and Queen. Did they perhaos jam together? Or any known comments from RS-members about Queen? Just curious ... thx in advance ...

... now I take me back to Ogre Battle ... abgefahren ....

Re: Rolling Stones and Queen ... any collaboration known?
Date: June 25, 2011 15:34

i don't think they did but it would have been cool. this first 5 queen albums are great. after that not so much until INNUENDO

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 25, 2011 15:41

I seem to remember Jane Moore in the Sun a few years ago raving about an onstage jam she saw in a club from an impromptu line up which included Mick Jagger, Roger Taylor and others but I'm damned if I can remember when and where it was. Certainly within the last 5-8 years anyway.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: June 25, 2011 15:47

Keith once said (when asked about disco stones) "we could have done a lot worse than Miss You, we could have played like Queen"

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 25, 2011 15:52

Keith slagging off a popular band of white musicians who are younger than him. Who'd have thought it?

Posted by: OhNoNotMeAgain ()
Date: June 25, 2011 15:54

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: June 25, 2011 17:08

Some Stones/Queen-relations:

- Ronnie Wood just did Voodoo Child live with Roger Taylor's band (Bramley, June 4)

- both bands recorded at Musicland Studios, Munich

- Freddie Mercury recorded State Of Shock with Michael Jackson/The Jacksons before Mick Jagger did

- Mick Jagger gets interviewed on the Queen docu The Magic Years

N

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: June 25, 2011 17:25

I remember I read that Mick Jagger said that Queen was a good band from their beginning.

Posted by: gagi ()
Date: June 25, 2011 17:40

Ronnie and Freddie....

Date: June 25, 2011 19:25

NeddieFlanders

- Ronnie Wood just did Voodoo Child live with Roger Taylor's band (Bramley, June 4)

- Freddie Mercury recorded State Of Shock with Michael Jackson/The Jacksons before Mick Jagger did

N

So did Keith.

He said something like: "They´re good, but they´re not the Rolling Stones. smiling smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 25, 2011 19:25

Gazza
Keith slagging off a popular band of white musicians who are younger than him. Who'd have thought it?

>grinning smiley< In less PC times he would have said : "urrrr urrr faggot rock! Urrrr urrr no thanks!"
(I like Queen btw. Check their early live shows, say from 74 to 76. They kicked serious ass).

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: June 25, 2011 20:57

Thanks for your answers, cool stuff!!

Queen had no blues-mission (but listen to "see what a fool i´ve been", kind of hard-rock blues), so it is no surprise that keith richards wasn´t a huge fan (they should have collaborated in 67, doing Majesties togethersmoking smiley).

And dcba, you are right: at the rainbow 75 and at the hammersmith odeon 75, real glam-/progrock, great live-musicians!

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: June 25, 2011 21:09

I'm loving the Lampinski recording of Boston '76 right now. Queen was the first big time rock show I saw, December '78 in Vancouver (there's a great audience recording of the show). I was 13 and it blew my mind. Still love everything up to Jazz (and bits of that as well).

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 25, 2011 21:14

Mick was backstage at Wembley 1986, he's on the DVD 2 of Queen Live At Wembley speaking with Freddie and Taylor.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 25, 2011 21:18

gwen
Keith once said (when asked about disco stones) "we could have done a lot worse than Miss You, we could have played like Queen"

and he would've been right

Queen were @#$%& awful. ALWAYS

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 25, 2011 21:21

Here's the video of Mick at Queen's 1986 Wembley shows, he's between 0:03-0:08 and 0:59-1:12.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: June 25, 2011 21:37

Love early Queen and some of the later stuff too, even if it was very patchy by the end.

Queen 2 is always in my top 10

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: June 25, 2011 22:52

Sheer Heart Attack album is quite good too. There is this great riff of Brian May on "Now I'm Here" and by the end of the song, you can hear Freddie sing "go go go little queenie"
Does anyone know this one ?

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: June 25, 2011 23:03

Know it? Hell yes, have covered it in a band and it's a really fun song to play. Sheer Heart Attack is my favourite Queen album, love it front to back. Ever hear chanteuse Neko Case's cover of Misfire from S.H.A.? Outstanding.

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: June 25, 2011 23:10

Thankfully there have been no official collaborations.

Queen are a vastly overrated band. I've tried to get into them but I can't seem to. I've seen them live and undoubtedly Mercury was an excellent front man but I really don't "get" them at all.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 26, 2011 00:10

Queen are my favourite post-60s band.

Date: June 26, 2011 00:14

NeddieFlanders

Yes, though it was never officially released, & sounds more demo-like than Jagger's:

Date: June 26, 2011 09:16

queen were a great band. the first 5 albums (I, II, sheer heart attack, night at the opera, day at the races) are classics. if those are the only 5 albums they ever made the band would still be hall of famers. after that each album got slightly worse with them bottoming out on HOT SPACE. the singles were still good and a few album tracks from those 5 albums but i consider the 2nd 5 queen albums the weakest set in their catalog of 15 studio releases. with each album after HOT SPACE the band got slightly better until finally peaking again with INNUENDO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-26 09:18 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: June 26, 2011 11:03

keefriffhard4life
queen were a great band. the first 5 albums (I, II, sheer heart attack, night at the opera, day at the races) are classics. if those are the only 5 albums they ever made the band would still be hall of famers. after that each album got slightly worse with them bottoming out on HOT SPACE. the singles were still good and a few album tracks from those 5 albums but i consider the 2nd 5 queen albums the weakest set in their catalog of 15 studio releases. with each album after HOT SPACE the band got slightly better until finally peaking again with INNUENDO.

I don't know why so many people hate Hot Space, here's a great track:

If I had to choose their weakest album I think I'd go for The Miracle, though I agree that Innuendo was a fine return to form.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: June 26, 2011 12:28

Saw them back in 76 and was a bit bored. I think Keith's right on this one.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 26, 2011 12:34

.......like puttin' marzipan in Shepherd's Pie ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 26, 2011 14:46

Brain May also has a wig...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 26, 2011 19:30

NeddieFlanders

N

Roy Thomas Baker produced Gimme Some Neck.

(Hate the drum sound on it. )

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: June 26, 2011 22:24

>Roy Thomas Baker produced Gimme Some Neck.

And Queen's later producer Mack worked as second engineer on
some Stones-sessions in the mid-70's at Musicland Studios.

N

Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: June 29, 2011 11:49

It´s something casual, and not the fruit of a collaboration or an influence (in 1973 Queen were practically unknown, releasing their first LP) but IMHO there’s a curious connection between Stones and Queen, in pure musical terms. The first time I heard “Can you hear the music” (must have been in the 80’s, when I was a teenager), I thought Brian May was in the studio in that session! Obviously not, it was Mick Taylor, I guess, but the short solo that follows the refrain (especially at min. 2:50) really reminds me the electrical baroque style (“barock”?) that was so typical of Brian May.
Brian May, as a talented and refined musician (not that Taylor isn’t, but if I transposed him into erudite music, I would see him more into the sobriety of “pure classic” than “baroque”), was certainly inspired by baroque musical taste. Baroque style tended to be flowery and grandiose at the same time, in music as in other arts and architecture, creating the ideal scenario for the weddings and the ceremonies among the royal and noble families, who aimed to display their opulence and majesty.
Call me crazy but that Taylor’s lick vaguely reminds me graceful movements as the Mendelssohn Wedding March, or “Here comes the bride” from Wagner’s “Lohengrin” (a shade of Baroque, since Wagner isn’t considered baroque in general), or some Brian May passages. Very atypical, but rightly so; Keith himself said that that song was a sort of experiment, the musical atmosphere and the lead guitar could have taken the most unpredictable directions, so why not ..
Personally, I find baroque pleasurable by “little doses”, it can be easily saturating. Maybe the Queen indulged too much into the baroque “embroidery”, even if they have some great songs. I´m more into the “classics”, whatever in literature, art, music, or “classic rock”, if there is something like that. The 70´s Queen infatuated me, but I fell in love with the Stones.
There may be some other connections or coincidences: for example a Queen´s song whose riff reminds me Start me up, it´s embarrassing to betray the first symptoms of Alzheimer at 40, but I don’t remember the title.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-29 12:18 by zumabitch.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1524
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home