Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T The Wall Live, M.E.N. Arena, Manchester, Tuesday 28th June 2011
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: June 29, 2011 11:12

Hello,

I was in two minds whether to bother coming down to Manchester and try to buy a cheap ticket for this last U.K. show in Rog's 'The Wall Live' tour.

I've never owned a copy of the mega-selling album and have always much preferred 'Dark Side...': it was in the same arena that I saw Waters and his ace band perform that album in 2007, and it remains a fantastic memory.
In fact the only small amount of knowledge of 'The Wall' that I have came from seeing The Australian Pink Floyd perform it a couple of years ago and I went away thinking that there were a couple of great songs witha load of old pony mixed in. Plus those guys played insanely loud!

So I decide to take a punt and end up with a half-price ticket (it shows how many shows that you have been at when one of the touts recognise you and say hello, hah-hah!) for the very-nearly sold out arena. Waters must have recouped his very obviously large investment and then some, as the tickets were £73 and £83: this is around the 115th date on this jaunt. He did shout out that he had "...@#$%& loved it!".

In some ways the back story to how The Wall came about is actually more fascinating than the album- I'm not typing all that out here as it'd take ages, but Google can fill in the blanks.

Waters has resisted merely rehashing the same shows that Pink Floyd played back in 1980 when they were promoting the album originally and now incorporates many modern references such as the tragic killing of Jean Charles de Menezes, or the footage of an Apache helicopter crew asking for permission to engage some Afghan civilians that they mistook for insurgents ("...light them up" ), to scenes of the Marines' children crying with joy at being reunited with their daddies.

This is uncomfortable stuff to put it mildly- manipulative and voyeuristic and deliberately so. I can only believe that he is sincere. To be fair he also uses his own dad's photo and details of his early death in service along with dozens of others as they are projected onto bricks in the wall early in the show. We're talking peace activists, 9/11 victims, Allied and German soldiers from both wars and many, many more. During the intermission we are told that the images and details of these people are used with the express permission of their relatives: "...they will not be forgotten."

The sound was as amazing as you'd expect with surround effects used but the clincher was the absolute quality of the images projected onto the arena-wide wall. Just jaw-dropping at times. Add in pyrotechnics, inflatables and a Stuka (!) and you've got sensory overload.

I suppose that I'd have to say that this show is more like theatre than a rock show given the necessary staged nature and absence of any spontaneity. Waters is a front man alright and he lives the characters he plays onstage: maybe it's too difficult to separate the love and affection that the audience have for the album from it's main composer? Anyway the reaction was unanimously positive.
Thanks Rog: next stop for you is Paris. And my brain is still scrambled...

Cheers,

Simon.

Re: O/T The Wall Live, M.E.N. Arena, Manchester, Tuesday 28th June 2011
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 29, 2011 11:52

Another great set of pix Simon. Very jealous as I missed seeing him in London in May - one of the nights David Gilmour showed up to play along on Comfortably Numb. I saw the original Wall show four times in 80 and 81 but this updated version sounds and looks fantastic.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: June 29, 2011 12:01

Hi Mike,

It is, but I've realised that I didn't comment on the actual songs, hah-hah!
Does that mean that I think that this album needs all that wonderful smoke and mirrors to fly?

To me, the answer is yes, which I wouldn't say for 'Dark Side...'. However when you hear 'Comfortably Numb' (even without David, ahem) it is a nailed-on classic.

Get over to Paris!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: June 29, 2011 12:16

I saw him in March ins Lisbon:

Amazing and Unforgetable!!

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 29, 2011 18:38

I went to the Birmingham gig and have to say it blew my mind.

It's certainly not one of my favourite Floyd albums, but it came alive with all the visual elements of the gig for me

5th row centre, the one time i'd actually wanted to sit further back HAHA

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: June 29, 2011 18:44

I am glad if people enjoy whatever they like and im not into flaming or putting people down, but the Wall is boring faschoid pubescent bollocks IMHO, crap then, crap now

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 29, 2011 19:05

Great pics!

I saw this several times in the US last year (NY and L.A.)...indeed an AMAZING show. And while I still prefer the original shows I saw in L.A. 1980 for a variety of reasons,
this new version is unbelievably great! Hoping for the return of THE WALL to the US sometime next year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1815
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home