Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Solo projects - I like them!
Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 24, 2011 10:41

Many Stones fans get crazy and depressed when they get the news that Mick or Keith has been in studio with someone outside the Stones. It is like they have been cheated on in marriage. Crisis! But why?

I have seen the Stones solo i.e. outside the Stones, Charlie, Ronnie, Mick and so on. They do things differently. They get lots of inspiration. Then they come back to the band with lots of energy and do another great tour.

I am looking forward to SuperHeavy. I am looking forward to new strange music performed by the greatest singer and performer on the planet. I am looking forward to Keith doing something on his own as well, but may be he rather likes to spend time with family these days, that would be my choice these days. And I am looking forward to more great solo stuff with all of the past and present Stones members!

Bjornulf

Re: Solo projects - I like them!
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 24, 2011 11:04

....that's the spirit bv .... let the guys do what they gotta do ....YEAH

ROCKMAN

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 24, 2011 11:59

All Stones have done solo projects, some are very enjoyable. I have great memories about Charlie Watts' Booggie band in Hamburg 2009.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 24, 2011 12:01

Now that's an attitude that I like.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 24, 2011 12:10

bv
Many Stones fans get crazy and depressed when they get the news that Mick or Keith has been in studio with someone outside the Stones. It is like they have been cheated on in marriage. Crisis! But why?

I have seen the Stones solo i.e. outside the Stones, Charlie, Ronnie, Mick and so on. They do things differently. They get lots of inspiration. Then they come back to the band with lots of energy and do another great tour.

I am looking forward to SuperHeavy. I am looking forward to new strange music performed by the greatest singer and performer on the planet. I am looking forward to Keith doing something on his own as well, but may be he rather likes to spend time with family these days, that would be my choice these days. And I am looking forward to more great solo stuff with all of the past and present Stones members!

I agree....IMO Mick's 1988 excursion was a blueprint for the Stones '89 Steel Wheels tour......a noteable developement was the introduction of backing singers which was first tried by Mick in Japan & Australia....as we all know Lisa is still in the band..............

Date: June 24, 2011 12:16

And guess how we got Memory Motel live on tour with the Stones? Mick tried it out live in his own solo project first. Keith and Connection... I want more!

Bjornulf

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 24, 2011 12:26

I agree wholeheartedly. Many people want the Stones just to be the Stones, and whenever they step away too far from the Stones sound with solo projects, they feel cheated (Charlie being the notable exception, he can do whatever he wants and nobody is complaining). Nowadays, I get more kicks from some of their solo stuff than endless repetitions of 5 string riffing in open G like Don't Stop or Rough Justice.

Date: June 24, 2011 12:38

alimente
I agree wholeheartedly. Many people want the Stones just to be the Stones, and whenever they step away too far from the Stones sound with solo projects, they feel cheated (Charlie being the notable exception, he can do whatever he wants and nobody is complaining). Nowadays, I get more kicks from some of their solo stuff than endless repetitions of 5 string riffing in open G like Don't Stop or Rough Justice.

Rough Justice is standard tuning (except for RonnieĀ“s slide) winking smiley

But I totally get your point.

I also enjoy the solo projects and different collaborations where people from the Stones are involved.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-24 12:40 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: June 24, 2011 13:08

The last mick solo tour with more then 1 concert is 23, almost 24 years ago, keith's solo tour 19 years. So I doubt that they will try out songs on a solo tour..

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: June 24, 2011 14:00

SuperHeavy may be a totally different experience for Mick if they decide to do
a few live shows. For some reason I don't see them performing any Stones songs.

But I'm looking foward to Mick's and Keith solo work, specially SuperHeavy.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: June 24, 2011 14:34

As a big fan of Goddess, I have to agree. I enjoy hearing Mick sound a little more like an adult than trying to recreate the music of his youth. Nice to hear him explore some different textures and sounds.

And, let's face it, the biggest problem with the last couple Stones studio discs is that they sound like the Stones trying to sound like the Stones (if you can follow that clumsy sentence...)

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 24, 2011 14:51

KSIE
As a big fan of Goddess, I have to agree. I enjoy hearing Mick sound a little more like an adult than trying to recreate the music of his youth. Nice to hear him explore some different textures and sounds.

And, let's face it, the biggest problem with the last couple Stones studio discs is that they sound like the Stones trying to sound like the Stones (if you can follow that clumsy sentence...)

I agree..................

1st....Definitely...........

2nd ...To me, yes, great sound but too much pandering to youth in the lyrics................

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: June 24, 2011 15:59

I personally can't wait for a possible new Winos album, but I'm still not convinced by what's been said in interviews that it is actually happening.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: June 24, 2011 16:19

This time is different, maybe. Because the reason for the solo projects may be that Mick and Keith aren't on speaking terms?

Date: June 24, 2011 16:55

I am absolutely sure that Keith do know his band mate Mick Jagger after 50 years of working together. This is not about "you do not quit my band", but about getting some air under your wings at times. The Rolling Stones are not Status Quo simply because they can do other things between tours. It's just that a lot of us are so impatient, simply can't wait for the next tour and album to happen...

Bjornulf

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 24, 2011 23:26

Agree with the title.

I really like the majority of Mick's solo material, some of Keith's, most of Charlie's & Bill's is also refreshing. Unfamiliar with Ronnie's solo work.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 25, 2011 04:44

bv
Many Stones fans get crazy and depressed when they get the news that Mick or Keith has been in studio with someone outside the Stones. It is like they have been cheated on in marriage. Crisis! But why?...

I'm not too upset at Keith & Winos, because I like the other 2 albums a lot ... but I just can't see anyone being that excited that Mick is working w/ Dave Stewart. Example, there are like 1.5 decent songs on Alfie.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: June 25, 2011 15:55

I agree too. And thank God there are solo projects on the go otherwise I wouldn't be going to see Charlie playing tonight in a small jazz club in London! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-25 15:55 by Roll73.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 25, 2011 16:01

bv

Premonition or affirmation ? smiling smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 25, 2011 16:02

I have absolutely no problem with solo stuff.
But at this part/time of the game time waits for no one, - not even for the Stones.
If they WANT to do another tour it's high time . .

Date: June 25, 2011 19:12

I love it when the guys do solo projects or work in collaboration with others. Like bv says, this keeps them creatively active. SuperHeavy is an exciting concept - and I look forward to its completion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2329
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home