Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Monkey Grip
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 16, 2011 17:36

71Tele
loog droog
71Tele
[
Ah! A fellow traveler desperate for any Stones he could get. That was 1974.

So what year did you first see the Stones? My first tour was '75.

Same for me! LA Forum.

Hey! Me too! JUly 9, 10, and 13!

I really, really wish I could have seen them in '72. I remember hearing Wolfman Jack play Exile on the radio, stories in the paper, cover of LIFE magazine, etc., but at that time I was just a little too young to start going to concerts on my own. But if my older brother, or a cousin, or someone had taken me, I could have, you know?

And then when Ladies and Gentlemen came out in '74, I saw it a couple of times in Century City (with those huge stacks of speakers pumping out quadraphonic sound at concert volume ) and then a bunch of times after that when it did the art house/midnight movie circuit. '72 became and still is my favorite Stones tour.
--
So I have a theory: the tour that you just missed--the one before your first one, the one that you realistically could have gone to (say you were 12 or 13 at the time, not 4 or 5 ) , that you heard about but didn't see, "the one that got away" is the tour you obsess about.

And if you did see '72, you probably wish you had made it to '69 (especially after seeing Gimme Shelter ), but then the class of '69 never saw Brian.

So do you feel the same way about '72, '71?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 16, 2011 17:40

Mr Charisma! Did nobody wanna wake him for the filming?
He's the Perry Como of the bass...
I had Monkey Grip and had to convince myself I liked it. I'm still working on that.

That is absolutely Kenny Jones in the 3rd clip...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 16, 2011 18:44

loog droog
71Tele
loog droog
71Tele
[
Ah! A fellow traveler desperate for any Stones he could get. That was 1974.

So what year did you first see the Stones? My first tour was '75.

Same for me! LA Forum.

Hey! Me too! JUly 9, 10, and 13!

I really, really wish I could have seen them in '72. I remember hearing Wolfman Jack play Exile on the radio, stories in the paper, cover of LIFE magazine, etc., but at that time I was just a little too young to start going to concerts on my own. But if my older brother, or a cousin, or someone had taken me, I could have, you know?

And then when Ladies and Gentlemen came out in '74, I saw it a couple of times in Century City (with those huge stacks of speakers pumping out quadraphonic sound at concert volume ) and then a bunch of times after that when it did the art house/midnight movie circuit. '72 became and still is my favorite Stones tour.
--
So I have a theory: the tour that you just missed--the one before your first one, the one that you realistically could have gone to (say you were 12 or 13 at the time, not 4 or 5 ) , that you heard about but didn't see, "the one that got away" is the tour you obsess about.

And if you did see '72, you probably wish you had made it to '69 (especially after seeing Gimme Shelter ), but then the class of '69 never saw Brian.

So do you feel the same way about '72, '71?

I also saw L&G with the quad system. Great.

Problem for '75 was I had seen the above-mentioned films and already had been listening to the vinyl boots of Brussels. What we got was not the same, even though it was very exciting to actually see them live for the first time. Worth the drive across the desert from Phoenix in the days of the mandatory 55 mph speed limit.

Posted by: skl127 ()
Date: June 16, 2011 18:59

But why the title Monkey Grip?

Read somewhere it was Cockney rhyming slang - but what for?

Cheers if anybody knows the answer

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 16, 2011 20:15

There was a rather suggestive ad that Rolling Stones Records ran in magazines at the time of a woman's hand gripping a phallic looking banana. That pretty much explained MONKEY GRIP for me. It was among their more provocative ad pieces along with the magazine ad for SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES that resembled the poster art for Kubrick's LOLITA with a nymphette sucking on a lollipop.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 16, 2011 20:21

A very fitting title for a man who brags about having slept with more than 2 000 women.

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: June 16, 2011 20:23

skl127

Monkey grip - replacement hip.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 16, 2011 21:29

Thricenay
skl127

As an American I can say that we will never understand Cockney rhyming slang, no matter how many times it is explained to us.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: June 16, 2011 21:39

GravityBoy
Sleepy City

White Lightening sure sounds good.

I like that.

I think it goes to show that Bill could have contributed at least one per album like John Entwistle or Ringo/George to any of the Stones albums after In Another Land (and Downtown Suzie for Beggars).

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: June 16, 2011 21:44

I disagree! Bill's music is not fit for a Stones album. I mean, really?! White Lightnin'?! Please.....that song is a silly throwaway at best.

Date: June 16, 2011 21:46

nellcote'71

Why did stores cut off the corner of the record sleeve when they marked down albums?

Been to Berlin in 1978 with my class and went to a record store and I was short of about 1 or 2 Euro (in today's currency) while holding Ronnie's Now Look in my hand. I was trying to borrow the money from a classmate but he had no extra money for me. Suddenly the record store owner came up behind me, almost tore the record out of my hand, cut the sleeve with his hands and said the price I was able to pay...
Now, that's what I call a 'precious' moment...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-16 21:49 by JJHMick.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 16, 2011 21:50

24FPS
Never seen/heard these. Very Ringo-ish. Well, at least he didn't make music that was Stones-ish.

I bought this from a used record store—there's a shocker—when I was 15, played it and thought, "He sounds like Ringo," and never played it again. I don't even know if I still have it. Don't care.

Date: June 16, 2011 21:56

lettingitbleed
I disagree! Bill's music is not fit for a Stones album. I mean, really?! White Lightnin'?! Please.....that song is a silly throwaway at best.

O.k., let's give him a chance: I don't know if you have Bill's solo stuff. Think of a Stones record (this one would have been IORR and exchange your "weakest" Jagger/Richards track and you might be satisfied. The next Bill solo would have been a candidate for Black And Blue.
Actually, somebody above preferred his 80s stuff - I don't and anything from Willie & The Poor Boys/Rhtyhm Kings probably can't count as Stonesish by then).
The 1982 one has a lot of sophisticated stuff that would have helped Undercover (of course, with a slightly different sound arrangement).

Date: June 16, 2011 22:03

In the event you meant me, I only meant his 1981 singles/1982 album and not WILLIE AND THE POOR BOYS when I said I preferred his eighties work. STUFF was more of the same, but less so.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 16, 2011 22:05

71Tele
The first solo album by a member of the Rolling Stones, and who was it? Bill Wyman! Yes indeed, a 16-year old 71Tele marched into his local record store in 1974 and purchased one of the first copies. Who here can claim that? Have we ever had a thread about Monkey Grip? We need one.

"Ding dong bell, pussy in the well."

"I'm gonna stick real close to you, like good old monkey grip glue."

Hey, not as bad as some of Mick's more recent lyrical efforts.

I had this one too in '74 as a 14 year old....I was in an Army boarding school in Dover, England...we weren't allowed out often so I had to buy mine from COB records mail order in Bangor, North Wales....As I did for GHS, Exile and all my Humble Pie records......'Oh White Lightening sure tastes good' was a common chorus round the school as was 'It's only rock'n'roll but I like iiiiitttt!!!!'..(Like a Mexican)...and while I'm remembering.....the saying 'ERK! Alors'...(The Lone Groover)

Date: June 16, 2011 22:37

Rocky Dijon
In the event you meant me, I only meant his 1981 singles/1982 album and not WILLIE AND THE POOR BOYS when I said I preferred his eighties work. STUFF was more of the same, but less so.

Oh yeah, Stuff... That needs a lot of new arrangements... Though, my favourite on that is a very funny one called "Affected By The Towns".
Willie & The Poor Boys was by the time of the Jagger/Richards World War III - must be Ian Stewarts favourite "Rolling Stones" album.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 16, 2011 22:44

Rocky Dijon
There was a rather suggestive ad that Rolling Stones Records ran in magazines at the time of a woman's hand gripping a phallic looking banana. That pretty much explained MONKEY GRIP for me. It was among their more provocative ad pieces along with the magazine ad for SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES that resembled the poster art for Kubrick's LOLITA with a nymphette sucking on a lollipop.

Has anyone got this? Would looove to see it. smiling bouncing smiley

Date: June 16, 2011 23:13

I think Rockman posted them here previously. It's probably in the archives somewhere.

Posted by: doster ()
Date: June 16, 2011 23:28

Always had a soft spot for White Lightening, thought the whole album was OK.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 17, 2011 00:25

Wasn't Van Morrison told him how to sing ...not from the throat but from the belly..........

Yes I did buy the first 2 or 3 records from Bill.........of course a bit disappointing that it didn't sound like the Stones but on the other hand he created his own sound which wasn't that bad.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: June 18, 2011 00:25

I found this one on one of the Bill Wyman You Tube pages:

Its probably got its own thread somewhere, but in case its been missed its No Expectations with Mick Taylor joining the Rhythm Kings onstage '08

Date: June 18, 2011 00:52

I see that all who know the early albums are only mentioning "Monkey Grip"; maybe because "Stone Alone" was just terrible, haha..
Monkey Grip was no masterpiece; but knowing Wyman, one kind of expected something like that. The songs were...okay. On Stone Alone, the songs are so cringe worthy, sugary, and worse - every song is garnished with giggling BU vocals by the Pointer Sisters. A saccharine nightmare.
I used to be determined to love that everything with that yellow label; so I listened to those two albums almost as much as Stones albums for a while.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 18, 2011 01:28

I like the closing song on Stone Alone, "No More Foolin'." That's one of the few Wyman songs I can imagine Mick singing, with his growling "Fat Albert" voice.

Before Monkey Grip in '74, there was only one released Wyman composition with the Stones ("In Another Land" ) "Downtown Suzie" wouldn't come out until '75.

"In Another Land" was hard to assess, as it was a part of the Stones' (and the world's! ) psychedelic interlude in '67. So prior to Monkey Grip, Bill was just the quiet, mysterious man on the bass. And when his album came out, it turned out he really was...Ringo. Lot of underwhelming songs, goofy lyrics.

Bill's image never recovered.

And yet, the bluegrass song "Pussy" is exhilarating. It's too bad the Stones didn't take that track, replace Bill's voice with a Mick and Keith vocal, and put it on IORR.

Posted by: purepop ()
Date: June 18, 2011 04:22

I too bought this album when i first came out.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: June 18, 2011 04:56

71Tele
Thricenay
skl127

As an American I can say that we will never understand Cockney rhyming slang, no matter how many times it is explained to us.

I'm not sure, but someone once said, its like the expression . . . "camel toe".

If someone needs an explanation for that, well, its when a woman wears very tight pants and the shape of her private area can be discerned for the whole world to seeeye popping smiley which apparently resembles a camel's toe. Go figure tongue sticking out smiley

actually, it may have been answered earlier:

Date: June 16, 2011 20:15

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-18 05:37 by NorthShoreBlues2.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 18, 2011 10:25

Posted by: arc-angel ()
Date: June 18, 2011 12:44

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1997
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home