Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Monkey Grip
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 15, 2011 21:03

The first solo album by a member of the Rolling Stones, and who was it? Bill Wyman! Yes indeed, a 16-year old 71Tele marched into his local record store in 1974 and purchased one of the first copies. Who here can claim that? Have we ever had a thread about Monkey Grip? We need one.

"Ding dong bell, pussy in the well."

"I'm gonna stick real close to you, like good old monkey grip glue."

Hey, not as bad as some of Mick's more recent lyrical efforts.

Re: Monkey Grip
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 15, 2011 21:04

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-15 21:05 by Sleepy City.

Date: June 15, 2011 21:06

Sleepy City

You rock, SleepyCity!

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: June 15, 2011 21:07

Sleepy City

I hate to be judgemental, but that is rubbish.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 15, 2011 21:10

Never seen/heard these. Very Ringo-ish. Well, at least he didn't make music that was Stones-ish.

Date: June 15, 2011 21:11

24FPS
Never seen/heard these. Very Ringo-ish. Well, at least he didn't make music that was Stones-ish.

He said at the time that it wouldn't have made any sense to make a solo album that sounded like the Stones.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 15, 2011 21:16

I think the dancer in the denim cut-off's has the Stones' tongue and lips logo on her right rear pocket.

I owned Bill's first two albums on vinyl. It's a fact. I'm not proud of it, but it's true. His early eighties album was far and away his best solo effort. A few songs on there were actually good. Some of it was still cringe-worthy, though. I'm a tough critic on Mick's lyrics in recent years, but I still wouldn't throw him in with Wyman.

Date: June 15, 2011 21:17

I must admit I've never heard any of Bill's albums all the way through, but I've had these promo videos on VHS (& now DVD) since the 80s & I quite like 'em (I also have 5 promo videos from 1981 - 1982).

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: June 15, 2011 21:31

Old Bill!!! Lucky for him he didnĀ“t left the Stones before he did....

Who were his musicians? Is that Kenney Jones at the drums?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 15, 2011 22:01

Looks like Jones on drums. I remember Keith making fun of Bill's solo efforts. At least Bill did do something different. Keith's solo work has always sounded like Stones b-sides.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 15, 2011 22:01

yep. I bought his first 2 albums too. Liked Monkey Grip...lots of acoustic instrumentation, if I remember correctly...
haven't heard either one in ages.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: June 15, 2011 22:06

varilla

No, it's the US session player elite, right before active for Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: June 15, 2011 22:18

And he's not even wearing a sweatsuit in any of those videos!

Date: June 15, 2011 22:23

24FPS
Looks like Jones on drums. I remember Keith making fun of Bill's solo efforts. At least Bill did do something different. Keith's solo work has always sounded like Stones b-sides.

People can only do what they are capable of. I wouldn't expect Bill's efforts to be remotely Stoneslike. I would expect Keith to sound like Stones demos (that is essentially his creative role in the band) whereas Keith stretching out is something like "Make No Mistake" or "Big Enough." While the Stones might record the same songs, they would not sound as authentic as how Keith approached them for his solo album. The same with "Hate It When You Leave." Likewise Mick's efforts sound like they could be Stones songs apart from the outside collaborations. Really Mick and Keith solo are what the Stones would be like without the collaboration/compromise the other brings to the equation. That's part of why latterday Stones seems indistinguishable from Jagger solo or Richards solo (on his lead vocal efforts).

I haven't seen the clip in question yet, but I thought Kenney Jones did back Bill for a 1982 TV appearance.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: June 15, 2011 22:27

Dang. Bill was already 46 in 1982. No wonder he wore sweatsuits on tour. eye rolling smiley

Date: June 15, 2011 22:34

Rocky Dijon
I haven't seen the clip in question yet, but I thought Kenney Jones did back Bill for a 1982 TV appearance.

Yes, on Musikladen (German TV), I have it on DVD in good quality somewhere. The song was 'A New Fashion'.

Date: June 15, 2011 22:39

Thank you kindly for verifying, Sleepy City.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: June 15, 2011 23:04

JJHMick
varilla

No, it's the US session player elite, right before active for Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.

That's true. Dr John, Leon on keyboards, Dallas Taylor, drums, George Terry, Lowell George, Danny Kootch guitars. 1974 release.

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: June 15, 2011 23:14

By '75 or '76 this album was available real cheap in the cut out bin at the record stores.

Why did stores cut off the corner of the record sleeve when they marked down albums?

Date: June 15, 2011 23:17

So that it was marked down as a remaindered item and so a customer can't claim that a full-priced release was placed in the remaindered bin so they should get it for the reduced price instead. Most things that are wrong with the world are because of jerks trying to rip people off. A sad fact of life.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 15, 2011 23:51

Monkey Grip was a funny album, I listened to it when I got into the Stones in 1990 and I loved anything any Stone was involved in, especially because I had just read Stone Alone. Now MG is 37 years old, and I do not listen to it anymore.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 15, 2011 23:55

Sleepy City

White Lightening sure sounds good.

I like that.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 16, 2011 00:24

Most things that are wrong with the world are because of jerks trying to rip people off.

yeah but I do wish Justin hadda taken nipple-gate to greater depths.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 16, 2011 01:07

71Tele
Yes indeed, a 16-year old 71Tele marched into his local record store in 1974 and purchased one of the first copies. Who here can claim that?

Me. I also, was 16 that year and did exactly that.

I think "Pussy" is a great song, and sounds more alive than anything on IORR.

About 10 or so years ago I was leaving a Nils Lofgren show at McCabes. Dallas Taylor was standing next to me. I told him I admired his work...especially that Bill Wyman album.

He cracked up.

Date: June 16, 2011 01:48

loog droog
71Tele
Yes indeed, a 16-year old 71Tele marched into his local record store in 1974 and purchased one of the first copies. Who here can claim that?

Me. I also, was 16 that year and did exactly that.

I think "Pussy" is a great song, and sounds more alive than anything on IORR.

About 10 or so years ago I was leaving a Nils Lofgren show at McCabes. Dallas Taylor was standing next to me. I told him I admired his work...especially that Bill Wyman album.

He cracked up.

Ah! A fellow traveler desperate for any Stones he could get. That was 1974.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: June 16, 2011 02:13

I had Monkey Grip from a young age as well. I liked it just because it was by a Stone. Upon reflection, it feels pretty unforced and relaxed. That's the difference between 74 and modern Stones. Today they try to sound like the Stones. Bill didn't have to worry about sounding like anything or selling more than five copies. It's a precursor to his Rhythm Kings and Willie and the Poor Boys sound -- unlike his later solo albums which were very caught up in the 80s.

T@3

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 16, 2011 02:24

Judging by those three videos he should be sentenced for it. It's beyond bad.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: June 16, 2011 02:37

Not that bad of an album. Nothing offensive, great fun and I'm sure it's not meant to be taken too seriously.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 16, 2011 03:39

71Tele
[

So what year did you first see the Stones? My first tour was '75.

Date: June 16, 2011 04:38

loog droog
71Tele
[

So what year did you first see the Stones? My first tour was '75.

Same for me! LA Forum.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1635
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home