Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re-visiting "Stones In Exile" & the Exile remaster
Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 15, 2011 06:14

The documentary is interssting in and of itself, but I found the interviews with the Don Was, Liz Fair, Jack White and the other "fans of exile" the most compelling.

Don Was' comments about the vaults and the linear progression of the songs (in particular Honky Tonkin Women) just leaves me hoping that one day the vaults will be flung open.

The extended Stargroves and Olympic Studio parts are fascinating.

Now onto the Music, I still enjoy the bonus tracks, even with the edit in Loving Cup, and the suspect inclusion of some of the tracks. It still is an incredible release all around.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Re: Re-visiting "Stones In Exile" & the Exile remaster
Date: June 15, 2011 09:45

I got tired of the bonus tracks very soon, except for the brilliant Loving Cup-version.

The DVD is quite good, but authentic pictures from the sessions or from the era were sorely missed.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 15, 2011 15:24

I placed "Good Time Women" with STICKY FINGERS, relegated the 6 other new titles in 2010 recordings and ignored the alternate takes. I rarely play my actual silver CD's. They are more there as a back-up if needed.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 15, 2011 15:26

Rocky Dijon
I placed "Good Time Women" with STICKY FINGERS, relegated the 6 other new titles in 2010 recordings [...]

Aha - the iPod generation is speaking!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-15 15:27 by Erik_Snow.

Date: June 15, 2011 16:35

Nope. CDR's for playing in the car.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: June 15, 2011 17:47

The bits from Stones In Exile with Mick and Charlie are greatly entertaining.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 15, 2011 18:30

DragonSky
The bits from Stones In Exile with Mick and Charlie are greatly entertaining.

Yes! Would have liked much more of that, much less from will.i.am and the Kings of Leon guy (why, oh why?).

Date: June 15, 2011 18:41

rattler2004

Now onto the Music, I still enjoy the bonus tracks, (...) It still is an incredible release all around.

...agreed. +1! thumbs up

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 15, 2011 21:40

Pass the Wine and Plundered My Soul are still in regular rotation in my household. The other bonus tracks were kind of forgettable. Still like the Virgin CD over the UM remaster. I haven't re-watched the documentary since first viewing it. I was a bit horrified by the transformation of Anita Pallenberg. My guess is that the vaults won't be thrown open from the 60s because of Klein ownership entanglements. That's why the Some Girls reissue makes sense.

Date: June 15, 2011 22:33

Agreed on the songs, 24FPS.

I only sat through the documentary once and still hit fast-forward some of the time.

As for the vaults reissues, it goes more into what the Stones own than Klein. The UME contract is for the post-1970 catalog. I was just happy both parties allowed five more tracks from YA-YA'S to see the light. That was certainly unexpected.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: June 16, 2011 00:30

Overall I was pretty happy with the whole project, I enjoyed the bonus tracks and played that bonus disc quite a bit last year. The DVD was a bit weak but I still enjoyed it and did watch it at least twice. Actual real video and more photos would have been better but if it doesn't exist, what they put out sort of worked. I am really looking forward to a Some Girls Deluxe - there are some awesome possibilities for bonus tracks and there is some great live stuff too, I wish they would expand that one to 3-4 discs, I really do and really think it's warranted.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: June 16, 2011 01:27

Considering how the Stones are/have been about this kind of thing and for a lack of knowing what the future holds Stones In Exile and the bonus tracks might be gold in another ten years.

Hopefully not. But at least we've got the Exile rarities and Stones In Exile.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 16, 2011 02:48

loved the Exile re issue....I suspect the Some Girls deluxe set will be really something considering that it sold 6+ million copies and had 3 huge MTV and radio hits w/ Miss You #1, Beast of Burden #8, and Shattered #31 on the Bill Board charts....if there was ever a moment to go for it this is probably it for Universal and if the RS are planning a 50th this might be the launch/push they need. Wishful thinking perhaps....

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 16, 2011 05:39

The extra tracks are ALL sub par. Listened once or twice then put it away for good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1740
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home