Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
M. Taylor with the Stones in 81
Posted by: varilla ()
Date: June 6, 2011 19:01

Is there any photo or footage of Mick Taylor with the Stones when he played with them as a guest in 81? Remember ? Keith saying: "tell that f@º!er to turn it down!!!"

Re: M. Taylor with the Stones in 81
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 6, 2011 19:06

a few photos have been posted - i bet you can find them with the search gizmo
try Kansas City, all dates

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: June 6, 2011 19:11

Here's a few:

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: June 6, 2011 19:13

Here's another thread on the subject:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 6, 2011 19:18

Keith telling anyone to turn down is a riot.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: June 6, 2011 19:31

3rd picture is priceless! Btw how big place is/was Kemper arena?

Date: June 6, 2011 20:07

Strange that never, ever again Mick Taylor was invited onstage....
I would loved to be there. Anywone here was actually in that concert?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 6, 2011 20:15

varilla
I would loved to be there. Anywone here was actually in that concert?

Cause he played whatever he liked.
Creativity is prohibited. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-06 20:26 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: June 6, 2011 20:17

He still looked very pretty in '81, didn't he? The ravages hadn't caught up with him.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: June 6, 2011 20:22

varilla
i think it's more strange that he was invited in the first place.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 6, 2011 20:27

ineedadrink
varilla
i think it's more strange that he was invited in the first place.

Please explain.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: June 6, 2011 22:20

INEE - Keith still appreciated Taylor's playing and still does.
that's who invited him...

MLC

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: June 7, 2011 00:27

got a boot of this gig and tbh if anyones too loud and masssssivly overplaying on that boot its a certain R.Wood. Sadly this is most apparent when Mick Taylor steps on stage? almost as if R.Wood wasn't pleased he was there...

Funnily enough i read about him being too loud and playing too much in R.Wood's biography (sorry autobiography), makes you wonder....

Especially as the pics show Keith looking and acting like he's loving Mick Taylor being with him on stage.

I wasn't at the gig so am goin off a few dif boots of the show I've heard, pics from the gig, and R.Woods book.

Have heard on the other hand that M.Taylor's amp wasnt mic'd up hence appearing quiet on boots but loud onstage.

Since then have seen Taylor/Wood jam/play together a few times live so not sure how its hanging?

who was at the gig who can remember with a clear head?

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 7, 2011 00:29

Captainchaos
got a boot of this gig and tbh if anyones too loud and masssssivly overplaying on that boot its a certain R.Wood. Sadly this is most apparent when Mick Taylor steps on stage? almost as if R.Wood wasn't pleased he was there...

Funnily enough i read about him being too loud and playing too much in R.Wood's biography (sorry autobiography), makes you wonder....

Especially as the pics show Keith looking and acting like he's loving Mick Taylor being with him on stage.

I wasn't at the gig so am goin off a few dif boots of the show I've heard, pics from the gig, and R.Woods book.

Have heard on the other hand that M.Taylor's amp wasnt mic'd up hence appearing quiet on boots but loud onstage.

Since then have seen Taylor/Wood jam/play together a few times live so not sure how its hanging?

I wasn't there, but I think you've explained this yourself: what's heard onstage is often very different from what's heard in the audience.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: June 7, 2011 00:42

Sleepy City
Captainchaos

I wasn't there, but I think you've explained this yourself: what's heard onstage is often very different from what's heard in the audience.

yeah that's def true and a BIG possibility in terms of volume. The catty bit R.Woods says about this with M.Taylor o.playing/gettin too excited or whatever doesn't ring true at all for me on any boot of the gig. always seemed abit spiteful/insecure to me tbh

The only thing i noticed was R.wood heavily o.playin when Taylor steps on stage, and mainly when Taylor's playing? kinda would make sense if it'd been said about Wood tbh when goin off the boots?

but is that correct tho, im just goin off boots?

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: June 8, 2011 10:32

Im sure the Stones have a mixing desk, do you think they just leave it up to the performer to adjust their own volume. The funny thing about playing in a Band is that everyone sounds louder than you do.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 8, 2011 10:41

The story always was that Taylor played over one of Keith's Boogie combo's, and therefore had to turn up the volume to hear himself. Problem: on all the 30 odd pics we have of this gig there is combo to be seen, and Taylor seems to play over Wood's spare Boogie Coloseum amp. This would also explain why especially Ian Maclagan was complaining about the volume, that spare amp is next to him. Taylor is known to play too loud on occaision -Richards has complained several times about his studio volume, and there's also a statement by Bob Dylan that Taylor was way too loud when on tour in '84.

Judging on the boots, Taylor does overplay a bit. Good example is Time is on My Side. The stones intend this song to start slowly and softly with only Keith's guitar and a bass drum, and then develop into a full band setting. But Taylor throws in a loud, blistering and full solo over that gentle intro. Taylor fans might like this, but it surely is not what the band intended, and I can understand why you would want him to shut the f up.

Mathijs

Date: June 8, 2011 10:48

Mathijs
Judging on the boots, Taylor does overplay a bit. Good example is Time is on My Side. The stones intend this song to start slowly and softly with only Keith's guitar and a bass drum, and then develop into a full band setting. But Taylor throws in a loud, blistering and full solo over that gentle intro. Taylor fans might like this, but it surely is not what the band intended, and I can understand why you would want him to shut the f up.

Mathijs

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: June 8, 2011 11:03

Nobody looks to unhappy in the photos.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 8, 2011 11:13

I suggest they play "Sway", "Time Waits For No One", "You Can't Always Get What You Want", "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" on the next tour with a permanent guest appearance of MT.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: June 9, 2011 04:56

If they are not having M. Taylor come back cause he doesn't look the part, then they must really be vain. Sorry, but it's about the music for me. Having Taylor & Wood switch bass and lead on certain songs would be perfect.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 9, 2011 06:15

Captainchaos

Doubt if Wood read his own book, let alone wrote it.

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: June 9, 2011 10:10

marko
3rd picture is priceless! Btw how big place is/was Kemper arena?

Kemper holds about 17,000 people depending on the stage size. It isn't used for concerts anymore. Horrible acoustics!

The city built a new arena that opened 3 1/2 years ago that is a great place for concerts.

Date: June 9, 2011 10:39

bigmac7895
If they are not having M. Taylor come back cause he doesn't look the part, then they must really be vain. Sorry, but it's about the music for me.

I disagree. I can cope with seeing them wrinkled & balding, but I'd hate to see a fat Rolling Stone in their publicity pics & videos. He needs to get in serious shape first.

bigmac7895
Having Taylor & Wood switch bass and lead on certain songs would be perfect.

Not so perfect for Daryl Jones... Anyway, in my experience lead guitarists generally make poor bass players, at least for the Stones' music.

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: June 9, 2011 13:58

Sleepy City
bigmac7895
If they are not having M. Taylor come back cause he doesn't look the part, then they must really be vain. Sorry, but it's about the music for me.

I disagree. I can cope with seeing them wrinkled & balding, but I'd hate to see a fat Rolling Stone in their publicity pics & videos. He needs to get in serious shape first.

bigmac7895
Having Taylor & Wood switch bass and lead on certain songs would be perfect.

Not so perfect for Daryl Jones... Anyway, in my experience lead guitarists generally make poor bass players, at least for the Stones' music.

Well, to each his own. Being a man, I could care if they all look like Jabba the Hut as long as the songs are treated with great musicianship. About the lead guitarists playing bass, I can think of a few songs where the bass sounded pretty good with it occurring that way (most of Goat's Head Soup, Taylor plays bass on Tumbling Dice and a few other tracks on Exile, Ron Wood was the bassist for Jeff Beck Group, Wood played bass on Emotional Rescue, etc.)

Date: June 9, 2011 15:30

Image & showmanship has always been very important when it comes to The Rolling Stones. They're not Pink Floyd - thankfully!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 9, 2011 15:44

Those guys are almost 70! Showmanship, come on! Or are you still a teenager?

Date: June 9, 2011 16:24

kleermaker
Those guys are almost 70! Showmanship, come on! Or are you still a teenager?

Chuck Berry still scoots across the stage at 84.

Little Richard still climbs on top of the piano (albeit with a little assistance) at 78.

Jerry Lee Lewis still kicks the stool back at the end of every show at 75.

So yes, why not? I don't expect Mick, Keith etc to have quite the same moves they had in the 60s & 70s (just as I don't expect Chuck, Richard & Jerry to be quite the same), but the day any of these acts become only about the music is the day I'll stay at home & listen to the records instead...not that Mick & Keith would ever go onstage & just stand / sit there.

Of course, showmanship isn't just about physical moves (Liberace wasn't known for his athleticism, but he was still a great showman).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-09 16:37 by Sleepy City.

Date: June 9, 2011 16:26

And myself? No, I'm no teenager, being just 19 months away from 50. But that doesn't stop me from trying to keep in Jaggeresque shape (I cycled over 50 miles [from Rye in Sussex to Margate in Kent] yesterday, & I ran 9 miles the day before).

I'd certainly whip Mr Taylor into shape if ever he fancied hiring me as a personal trainer for 3 months! hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-09 16:32 by Sleepy City.

Date: June 9, 2011 16:43

Thank you very much Sleepy City!! I remember Mac telling in his book that he ended up wiyh a headache because he was beside M.T amp and it was sooo loud.
Never heard the story on Mt side about how he felt that nigth, etc...
I wonder how the night continued. Did he went back to Keith ´s room to hang out with them or he just played and went away?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home