Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

NEW Keith tape liberated...
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 4, 2011 22:52

Courtesy of Realomind! smileys with beer

"BUSTER POINDEXTER AND THE BANSHEES OF BLUE wsg/ KEITH RICHARDS & DELBERT McCLINTON
TRAMPS, NEW YORK, NY, USA
FEBRUARY 23, 1984
AUDIENCE RECORDING BY FERN WEISS
SKOTF ARCHIVE VOL. 187

AUD>1ST GEN CASSETTE>STAND ALONE BURNER>WAV>FLAC

Today is the 1-Year Anniversary of the beginning of the unearthing of the SKOTF Archive. Volume 1 went up 4/4/10. After SKOTF pointed out that I had blown a big opportunity - shoulda used that 6-min Teenage Jesus show for this occasion - he mentioned this show as a possibility. "Huh? Buster w/ Keef?" was my response. After we both turned our living spaces upside down looking for the sucker I realized I'd had it all along (always a popular move). And who could argue with the choice for the big 1.0 - this thing is un-@#$%&-believable! Keith is so great here playing laid back blues. I'd definitely rate him as the number one Johnny Thunders clone of all time. But seriously, it IS really cool. Koonin plays bass on those songs so it's all Keith on guitar and he sounds wonderful. Delbert McClinton is just icing. And Fern totally brought home a stellar recording of the show. Lite chatter, nothing remotely inappropriate. (Girl-Taper = Big Respect from me - I personally have never met one) There may be a part two to this somewhere - it doesn't end with Heart of Gold - but I don't have it. Or, maybe it's right under my nose.

I think I speak on behalf of many many people when I say Thank You SKOTF for all this great music you have brought into my life. Working on these tapes has been a real privilege and a pleasure of the highest order with one mindblowing surprise after another. Your last shirt wont need a pocket and for that we are all very grateful.

BAND:
Buster Poindexter - vocals, harmonica
Joe DeLia - piano
Brian Koonin - guitar, bass
Tony Machine - drums
Keith Richards - guitar on **
Delbert McClinton - harmonica on **

SETLIST:
First Set
01. bad detective
02. smokey joe's cafe
03. graveyard
04. bad boy
05. her mind is gone
06. blonde on a bum trip
07. new york's my home
08. somebody buy me a drink
09. tattooed lady
10. dead presidents
11. monkey
12. stay as sick as you are
13. whiskey in the well

Second Set
14. cannibal
15. all night long
16. south american joe
17. shpooing for clothes
18. i ain't going to work today
19. pink champagne
20. if you're so smart, how come you ain't rich
21. something for me
22. insurance on me **
23. rocket 88 **
24. heart of gold"

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-04 23:04 by dcba.

Re: NEW Keith tape liberated...
Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: April 4, 2011 23:04

Yeah, great night, and chatting w/Keef in the men's room that evening is something Spike and I will never forget...

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: April 4, 2011 23:04

P.S. Some of this is on YouTube as well...

Date: April 5, 2011 00:01

Great aud recording, with Keith UP in the mix. The lady who taped this did good!

It's always funny to listen to some music where Keith's guesting cos he seems so ill-at-ease and this one's no exception.

On "Insurance on me" it seems he can't find a modus vivendi with the drummer, stepping on his toes and vice versa. Hey nobody plays like Charlie...

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: April 5, 2011 09:24

does anyone have this full set on cd? is there any way to get a copy of it?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 5, 2011 20:53

dewlover

Certainly is....

Date: April 6, 2011 00:41

I kind of like that DJ seems to have absolutely no reverence for Keith. He makes him go round a second time on the solo, and tickles Keith head while he is playing. Says something; maybe he knew Keith had run out..

Date: April 6, 2011 00:48

After watching the vid one word comes to mind : informal... Three men crammed on a tiny stage, standing shoulder to shoulder, trading licks and lyrics... Wow!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-06 00:52 by dcba.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: June 8, 2011 21:51

Things don't get much smaller than this with a Rolling Stone involved.

Posted by: OlRiddim ()
Date: June 8, 2011 22:25

Nice! Many thanks for unearthing the recording, dcba.

And as far as the YouTube of "Insurance" goes, it's easy to imagine David Jo as a young Mick - with his buddy Keith.

Any NY Dolls fans out there?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 8, 2011 22:59

Smallest stage Keith has played om since The Railway Hotel, Richmond I reckon. And did Johansen ruffle Keith's hair during his solo there??

Date: June 9, 2011 00:08

OlRiddim

Going to see them in July. Unfortunately they are opening for....MOTLEY CRUE: a band that put on one of the all time WORST shows I've ever seen...in their PRIME!

But, the Dolls???? They'll have to pry my ticket out of my cold dead hand before I'd miss 'em!

I've never been that wild about Johanssen solo, but that tape with Keith is really good! Great band and great songs!

Posted by: OlRiddim ()
Date: June 9, 2011 00:21

UnderAssistantWCpromoMan
OlRiddim

Going to see them in July. Unfortunately they are opening for....MOTLEY CRUE: a band that put on one of the all time WORST shows I've ever seen...in their PRIME!

But, the Dolls???? They'll have to pry my ticket out of my cold dead hand before I'd miss 'em!

I've never been that wild about Johanssen solo, but that tape with Keith is really good! Great band and great songs!

Right on. And not to get too fer off the beaten path here, but here's the latest Dolls album.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 9, 2011 02:07

OlRiddim

Right on. And not to get too fer off the beaten path here, but here's the latest Dolls album.

That guy's about 5 years behind the curve -- he should've sat up and paid attention when ONE DAY IT WILL PLEASE US TO REMEMBER EVEN THIS was released, he's been missing out.

I've seen the reunited Dolls twice and they were both awesome shows. I'm hoping to score a cheap Crue ticket but I'm not holding my breath.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 9, 2011 04:55

Green Lady
dewlover

Certainly is....

Thank you very much!! Amazing video to me. Funny moment when Keith starts playing the first solo the harmonicist takes keith's fag out of keef's mouth then the harp player puts the cigarette or what's left of it back in Richard's mouth once the of the solo has ended.A musician always needs a little help from a musician friend.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: June 9, 2011 20:50

Glam Descendant
That guy's about 5 years behind the curve -- he should've sat up and paid attention when ONE DAY IT WILL PLEASE US TO REMEMBER EVEN THIS was released, he's been missing out.

Was that remark in reference to my lukewarm comment about David Johansen's solo work? If so, the recent NYD releases don't really belong in the category of "solo work", in my opinion. The Dolls were a band, even if only 2/6's of them are left.

My remark mainly referenced what he was up to around the time this show with Keith was recorded. He already had at least 2 DJ solo lps I was aware of, and didn't care much for, and the Buster stuff??? I thought it was schtick - but this recording was definitely impressive. Great song selection!

I will say, however, that David's more recent "solo" band "The Harry Smiths" is actually way cool, and I've probably listened to them more than the newer Dolls stuff.

Doesn't matter though - the Dolls were truly the "Queens of the underground", and when I say I'm in love you best believe I'm in love: L-U-V!.

Seeing them live will be wish fulfillment!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 11, 2011 07:16

>Was that remark in reference to my lukewarm comment about David Johansen's solo work?

No, it was in reference to the review of the latest Dolls -- he said he didn't bother to listen to their last two releases.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: June 12, 2011 14:59

never saw that before..Thanx for posting....is there a "rocket 88" or "heart of gold "vids ?

Posted by: donteverstop ()
Date: June 12, 2011 16:46

How can anyone not LOVE Jimmy Reed?

His best recording imfo...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1358
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home