Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Article: U2 vs Stones
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 23, 2015 18:12

here is an interesting read from the Guardain about the different tour concepts of the Stones and U2
Read it here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-23 18:23 by peoplewitheyes.

Re: Article: U2 vs Stones
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 24, 2015 01:49

peoplewitheyes
here is an interesting read from the Guardain about the different tour concepts of the Stones and U2
Read it here

After the Stones, U2 is the best live show I've ever seen. At their prime (e.g. 1992) they were almost as good as the Stones when they were 20 years over the hill (1989). No comparison between the two.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 24, 2015 02:08

Could someone recommend me 3 U2 songs that I MUST have heard? I am always puzzled that they are so famous, yet I can't hum a single hit of theirs.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 24, 2015 04:24

Nikkei
Could someone recommend me 3 U2 songs that I MUST have heard? I am always puzzled that they are so famous, yet I can't hum a single hit of theirs.

Seriously? You need to go outside, or at least turn on the TV or radio...

Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Beautiful Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Where The Streets Have No Name
Mysterious Ways
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With or Without You
The Real Thing
I Will Follow
Vertigo
Desire

That's just off the top of my head, without thinking about specific cuts off albums...I'm sure I've missed a few big songs.

U2 was an excellent recording band that has fallen on hard times of late with their creative output...sounds like another band I've gotten to quite like.

I'm sure the show is still quite spectacular though.

Date: May 24, 2015 04:29

peoplewitheyes
Read it here

To answer the article, the band should hang in creating until the bitter end...unless what is being created is crap, in which case focus on the nostalgia side if you still want to tour.

It's a tough order being creative and relevant for that long.

Date: May 24, 2015 04:31

treaclefingers

You can't listen to german radio anymore. The 90s are "golden oldies" to them. I think I know Sunday Bloody Sunday, something like "how long do we have to play this song"? The melody escapes me though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-24 04:32 by Nikkei.

Date: May 24, 2015 04:38

Nikkei
treaclefingers

You can't listen to german radio anymore. The 90s are "golden oldies" to them. I think I know Sunday Bloody Sunday, something like "how long do we have to play this song"? The melody escapes me though.

I love you for that nice bitch slap, but I still don't believe you! smileys with beer

Date: May 24, 2015 04:46

Thanks for the list, I have looked into it. Turns out I know Pride (In The Name Of Love) and With Or Without You, but have mistaken them for Coldplay or something.
Vertigo seems nice. But is there something that like, packs a punch and hooks you? I am not a hater.

Date: May 24, 2015 04:50

Nikkei
Thanks for the list, I have looked into it. Turns out I know Pride (In The Name Of Love) and With Or Without You, but have mistaken them for Coldplay or something.
Vertigo seems nice. But is there something that like, packs a punch and hooks you? I am not a hater.

you walk softly and carry a big stick!

ONE, is another one of course that I missed.

My favourite album of there's has to be Achtung Baby (German for Attention Baby).

As you're from Germany, I'm sure it would also be your favourite!

Date: May 24, 2015 05:01

Seriously, the only fun I had on their expense was directed at their business practices. They seem to play in their own league and quite well at that judged by their popularity.
But I don't get why one would compare them to the Stones except for what kind of money both make.

Date: May 24, 2015 05:25

Nikkei
Seriously, the only fun I had on their expense was directed at their business practices. They seem to play in their own league and quite well at that judged by their popularity.
But I don't get why one would compare them to the Stones except for what kind of money both make.

They are compared as they are currently the two biggest bands in the world, but while I do love U2, at least up to All That You Can't Leave Behind, the weak material since, plus Bono's self promotion just gets a bit under the skin doesn't it.

I mean, I appreciate that he's promoting these causes, but as one of the wealthiest entertainers on the planet, PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS!

Do the freaking tour, but donate ALL proceeds after expenses to the causes...keep none of the damn money you make, cuz you don't need it anyway and give it to the causes that you're trying to browbeat us in to.

If he did that, donate all of it, and then ask us to buy RED products, I might even go along with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-24 05:30 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 24, 2015 05:27

It's stupid. The only reason there is any comparison is because they both tend to tour about the same time.

It's as stupid as any comparison. U2 makes a lot of money touring. So do the Stones. U2 is still younger in their career and making new LPs, the Stones are older and not making new LPs.

WOO HOO.

WHATEVER.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 24, 2015 13:02

GasLightStreet
It's stupid. The only reason there is any comparison is because they both tend to tour about the same time.

It's as stupid as any comparison. U2 makes a lot of money touring. So do the Stones. U2 is still younger in their career and making new LPs, the Stones are older and not making new LPs.

WOO HOO.

WHATEVER.

Still, Stones has made more LPs than U2 and they have written more songs (officially published) than U2. This is not comparing quality, just
figures.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 24, 2015 13:26

My favorite U2 story is that when they first started they tried to play Stones covers. But it was too difficult for them so they decided to write their own songs. And the rest is history.

So we really should thank the Stones for all those great U2 songs smoking smiley

Date: May 24, 2015 13:51

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: May 24, 2015 17:58

U2 covered Paint It, Black in 1992 as a b-side.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 24, 2015 18:28

GasLightStreet

WOO HOO.

WHATEVER.

OF course they are going to be compared. Are you kidding me? They are about the same size and constantly tour at about the same time. How could they not be compared.

I will never understand those people who think nothing should be compared. Let me guess apples and oranges.

Date: May 24, 2015 18:30

I was talking about when they were just starting and still in school. I'm sure over the years they became better at playing their instruments and pull that one off.

And there is no comma in Paint It Black.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-24 19:45 by Koen.

Date: May 24, 2015 18:37

Nikkei

Desire or When Love Comes To Town should do it for Stones fans.

Still not convinced? Try Silver And Gold (with Keith and Ronnie on guitars) from the Sun City album smiling smiley

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 24, 2015 18:43

Nikkei

Listen to the whole Achtung Baby. If that won't punch and hook you, then nothing else from their cathalogue will. I am sure you know One, but The Fly, Mysterious Ways, Acrobat, Even Better Than The Real Thing... and pretty much everything from that album is great. Well, except maybe the opening track, which might not be easy to swallow at the first time, but it really belongs to the album. Plus I really love the whole Pop album. Beautifully dark.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-24 18:44 by Happy24.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: May 24, 2015 19:10

... some snipples:

Let It Rock
HighwireC
[www.highwire-therollingstones.de]

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: May 24, 2015 22:37

Koen

We, maybe you are right, but there sure is one on my US London Records PS and my US Aftermath cover.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: May 24, 2015 22:38

stonesstein
Koen

We, maybe you are right, but there sure is one on my US London Records PS and my US Aftermath cover.

i think he was saying that U2 had left out the comma in their version, as a criticism of them. the comma is famous i can't imagine anyone on this forum not knowing it!

Date: May 24, 2015 23:24

Koen
I was talking about when they were just starting and still in school. I'm sure over the years they became better at playing their instruments and pull that one off.

There is a comma (not intentional, though) and GS is named Gimmie Shelter.

For the conservators...

Date: May 24, 2015 23:41

DandelionPowderman
Koen

There is a comma (not intentional, though) and GS is named Gimmie Shelter.

For the conservators...

Uhhhhh. No.

Date: May 24, 2015 23:42

mtaylor
GasLightStreet

WOO HOO.

WHATEVER.

Still, Stones has made more LPs than U2 and they have written more songs (officially published) than U2. This is not comparing quality, just
figures.

And that naturally falls under WHATEVER. What, so U2 haven't published as many songs as (enter 1960s band here). So what?

It's a lot of bullshit. It's just stupid.

Date: May 24, 2015 23:46

stanlove
GasLightStreet

WOO HOO.

WHATEVER.

OF course they are going to be compared. Are you kidding me? They are about the same size and constantly tour at about the same time. How could they not be compared.

I will never understand those people who think nothing should be compared. Let me guess apples and oranges.

Of course it's stupid. U2 finally - and that's only if you want to look at it this way - surpassed the Stones in making money - and attendance - on a tour.

OK fine. U2 sold out every show and had more seats available. The Stones didn't and didn't.

That's been the biggest comparison between them for quite some time now. No one compares the hit singles or number one LPs or and whatever. It's always the tours.

OK fine. I've gone to see the Stones and U2 and enjoyed each one. I guess I deserve a trophy.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 25, 2015 00:07

<<U2 songs... I am always puzzled that they are so famous, yet I can't hum a single hit of theirs.>>

Trying To Blow His Farts Around The Room is pretty catchy, but Edge's guitar parts are almost impossible to hum unless you have effects.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: May 25, 2015 00:35

Anyone seeing U2 at the Roxy? I think that would be a nice time.

Date: May 25, 2015 00:49

stonesstein
Koen

Yes, but that was alledgedly added by ALO or Decca to create publicity. It was written without a comma. Just as there is no comma in the phrase in the lyrics.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1600
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home