Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Quadrophenia box set out in October
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 4, 2011 01:43

The Worst.
Wonderful news! Pete's Quadrophenia demos are phenomenal.
The demo version of Love Reign O'er Me is almost as good as the final version they released.

The demos Pete made for the Who's later albums like Face Dances and It's Hard are in some cases BETTER than the Who versions.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: June 4, 2011 04:44

This truly is great news. Pete's demos are amazing, a few from Quad have leaked out over the years and they are awesome.

The definitive best sounding version is currently the Japanese edition of the '96 remaster.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 4, 2011 06:06

LeonidP
vancouver
i'm a great who fan (1964-1972), ! but i think this album is not so good..

sorry, but that makes you not a great who fan

thumbs up

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 4, 2011 09:18

LeonidP
vancouver

Or not a great music fan. I'm sure he/she/them/it was more comfortable listening to GHS/IORR, i.e., the dulcet tones of the Stones slowly starting to p-ss their legacy away! Quadrophenia, while ridiculously overblown in parts, is probably the last great art rock record.

Date: June 4, 2011 13:08

ab
LeonidP
vancouver

Or not a great music fan. I'm sure he/she/them/it was more comfortable listening to GHS/IORR, i.e., the dulcet tones of the Stones slowly starting to p-ss their legacy away! Quadrophenia, while ridiculously overblown in parts, is probably the last great art rock record.

what makes something an art rock record?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 4, 2011 14:35

ab
LeonidP
vancouver

In defense of vancouver, it IS possible to be a fan of an artist and not be a fan of all of their work, even what many people consider to be their BEST work. Keith Moon was a Beach Boys fanatic, but he HATED Pet Sounds. He considered it an unfortunate departure from the REAL sound of the Beach Boys. There are Who fans who think Sell Out is their best album, and it's all been downhill after that. There's a guy on this forum who tells us time and time again that Aftermath is the best album the Stones ever did. I tease him mercilessly about it because it's an opinion I not only don't share, but can't even fathom anyone else could possibly believe to be true. But he's still a Stones fan. In a sense, the ultimate Stones fan. The true believer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-04 15:27 by tatters.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 4, 2011 15:00

I think Quadrophenia is one of the best albums ever recorded, probably above anything the Stones have done, but to back up your point I also have Their Satanic Majesties Request as my 2nd favourite Rolling Stones album, just below Beggars Banquet.

Does that make me not a great Stones fan? Who f,f,f,ffucking cares!? grinning smiley

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 4, 2011 20:52

tatters
There are Who fans who think Sell Out is their best album, and it's all been downhill after that. There's a guy on this forum who tells us time and time again that Aftermath is the best album the Stones ever did. I tease him mercilessly about it because it's an opinion I not only don't share, but can't even fathom anyone else could possibly believe to be true. But he's still a Stones fan. In a sense, the ultimate Stones fan. The true believer.

The Who Sell Out is my favourite album by The Who too, though I disagree regarding Aftermath...The Stones' finest album was Between The Buttons, & to my ears they went downhill after that!

It would be very boring if we all liked the same things. I love Elvis, but I hate Suspicious Minds with a passion.

Date: June 4, 2011 21:41

tatters
ab
LeonidP
vancouver

In defense of vancouver, it IS possible to be a fan of an artist and not be a fan of all of their work, even what many people consider to be their BEST work. Keith Moon was a Beach Boys fanatic, but he HATED Pet Sounds. He considered it an unfortunate departure from the REAL sound of the Beach Boys. There are Who fans who think Sell Out is their best album, and it's all been downhill after that. There's a guy on this forum who tells us time and time again that Aftermath is the best album the Stones ever did. I tease him mercilessly about it because it's an opinion I not only don't share, but can't even fathom anyone else could possibly believe to be true. But he's still a Stones fan. In a sense, the ultimate Stones fan. The true believer.

The "true believers" on this forum are the ones who argue passionately that Keith Richards forgetting what song he was playing on stage in 2006 is every bit as compelling as Keith Richards playing Sympathy For The Devil on stage in 1969. You have to be a true believer to believe that.

Date: June 4, 2011 21:49

yes THE WHO SELLOUT was their best album but i don't believe everything after that gets worse

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 4, 2011 22:00

Sleepy City
tatters
There are Who fans who think Sell Out is their best album, and it's all been downhill after that. There's a guy on this forum who tells us time and time again that Aftermath is the best album the Stones ever did. I tease him mercilessly about it because it's an opinion I not only don't share, but can't even fathom anyone else could possibly believe to be true. But he's still a Stones fan. In a sense, the ultimate Stones fan. The true believer.

The Who Sell Out is my favourite album by The Who too, though I disagree regarding Aftermath...The Stones' finest album was Between The Buttons, & to my ears they went downhill after that!

It would be very boring if we all liked the same things. I love Elvis, but I hate Suspicious Minds with a passion.

Completely agree about The Who Sell Out being their best album. At least creatively.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 4, 2011 22:00

keefriffhard4life
yes THE WHO SELLOUT was their best album but i don't believe everything after that gets worse

thumbs up

Date: June 4, 2011 22:09

Silver Dagger
Sleepy City
tatters

Completely agree about The Who Sell Out being their best album. At least creatively.

"Who's Next" is my vote for "best album". "Tommy" is the one that is overblown, not Quad. Tommy was a squishy hippie-dippie pseudo-spiritual story. Fortunately it produced some wonderful songs, but as an overall work I think it falls flat and has not aged very well. "Quadrophenia" was real. When it came out I felt it could have been about my life. Pete has sometimes been too conceptual for his own good (and The Who's) with half-realized ideas like the Lifehouse. But he nailed it on Quadrophenia. Using the personalities of the four members of the band to express different aspects of the character "Jimmy" would not have worked if the idea had not been executed so brilliantly, but it was.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 4, 2011 23:30

71Tele
tatters
ab
LeonidP
vancouver

The "true believers" on this forum are the ones who argue passionately that Keith Richards forgetting what song he was playing on stage in 2006 is every bit as compelling as Keith Richards playing Sympathy For The Devil on stage in 1969. You have to be a true believer to believe that.

Or just a naive douche bag?!

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: June 5, 2011 01:13

This is going to be an expensive year. I just saw that the Beach Boys Smile Sessions has been given a release date of July 12. Add the Pink Floyd Reissues and now a Quadrophenia box, it looks like I'll have to save my pennies!

Date: June 5, 2011 01:16

71Tele

What about those of us who actually thought that Keith was better in 2006 than he was in 1969? winking smiley

Date: June 5, 2011 03:21

Sleepy City
71Tele

What about those of us who actually thought that Keith was better in 2006 than he was in 1969? winking smiley

The less I say the better...

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 5, 2011 03:57

Tommy overblown? Maybe by reputation, but as a recording I'd say it's one of the few under-produced classic rock albums. The band's situation really changed after that record, but it sounds made on a comparative shoestring. The orchestral passages are smallish, and the electric guitar barely appears. I can understand why the Broadway show might have seemed like a fulfillment to Pete.

Sell Out has some wonderful songs but starts to feel like more of a Monty Python than a Who album after a while. This is especially so on the editions with bonus tracks.

speaking of which, I thought the 1996 remasters were now considered suspect, because of the remixing? I personally don't mind having vocals low in the mix (though I don't dislike Roger).

Date: June 5, 2011 05:31

Happy Jack
This is going to be an expensive year. I just saw that the Beach Boys Smile Sessions has been given a release date of July 12. Add the Pink Floyd Reissues and now a Quadrophenia box, it looks like I'll have to save my pennies!

thanks for the beach boys update

Date: June 5, 2011 05:51

cc
Tommy overblown? Maybe by reputation, but as a recording I'd say it's one of the few under-produced classic rock albums. The band's situation really changed after that record, but it sounds made on a comparative shoestring. The orchestral passages are smallish, and the electric guitar barely appears. I can understand why the Broadway show might have seemed like a fulfillment to Pete.

Sell Out has some wonderful songs but starts to feel like more of a Monty Python than a Who album after a while. This is especially so on the editions with bonus tracks.

speaking of which, I thought the 1996 remasters were now considered suspect, because of the remixing? I personally don't mind having vocals low in the mix (though I don't dislike Roger).

I meant overblown conceptually. I thought it was a silly concept....I agree with you about the original Quad vocals. I never thought they were too low.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 5, 2011 06:45

To me, Tommy always was better live. Their live versions had much more power, less pomp and circumstances. The album Tommy underwhelmed me for what I had been expecting. And this is something The Who often had a hard time with, replicating their on stage power on vinyl. Tommy's production is very tame, and in fact I really don't think it sounds a lot like The Who, more like them trying to replicate Abbey Road's sounds... The record has very little of Townshend's incendiary electric leads, and is more acoustic and orchestral, that just doesn't have the punch that I wished it had. Again, listen to their version of I'm Free live, it is stunning, especially from the Kelburn DVD. AMAZING! And so much better than the studio recording. Quadrophenia has the power and punch that I expect from The Who, with a more developed and emotive story that resonates more with the confusion and angst of youth, and adult (paradise lost). Not only a very interesting and relevant story. But performed and produced with a punch of aggression, even on the gentler acoustic numbers. Brilliant! And their musicianship was arguably at their peek. Keith is tightly locked in with Entwistle, and Entwistle not only did the bass, but all the horns on the disc! INCREDIBLE! For me there is so much to discover on Quadrophenia that it always surprises me to hear some new nuance or allusion that is powerful and emotional. I also love how the themes repeat themselves embedded within various songs, then to glide back to the main riff of the song. Brilliant, and far more operatic than Tommy. And this is a complete statement! Who's Next is brilliant, but seems a bit fragmented, and too short. I am always wanting more and baffled that they didn't put Pure And Easy and The Naked Eye on it.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 5, 2011 06:57

keefriffhard4life
ab
LeonidP
vancouver

I'd call an "art rock record" a high concept album that seeks to treat rock music as both a unified thought process and a serious means of expression beyond the ranta-ranta-ranta-ranta of three-chord rock 'n' roll.

And, yes, by referring to Quadrophenia as the last great art rock record, I'm asserting that The Wall is not a great record (e.g., most of the second LP side is pretty tedious).

Date: June 5, 2011 09:42

It is true that Tommy always worked better live. As Townshend often said, this was ironic given that Quad was a work written to perform live. The problem early on was the use of backing tapes onstage, which often malfunctioned. Keith Moon had to wear headphones and keep time to the tapes. Of course this was all before digital, so they had to have a physical tape playing. Blows were echanged between band members after (and sometimes during!) these first Quadrophenia live shows.

Date: June 5, 2011 09:48

whitem8
To me, Tommy always was better live. Their live versions had much more power, less pomp and circumstances. The album Tommy underwhelmed me for what I had been expecting. And this is something The Who often had a hard time with, replicating their on stage power on vinyl. Tommy's production is very tame, and in fact I really don't think it sounds a lot like The Who, more like them trying to replicate Abbey Road's sounds... The record has very little of Townshend's incendiary electric leads, and is more acoustic and orchestral, that just doesn't have the punch that I wished it had. Again, listen to their version of I'm Free live, it is stunning, especially from the Kelburn DVD. AMAZING! And so much better than the studio recording. Quadrophenia has the power and punch that I expect from The Who, with a more developed and emotive story that resonates more with the confusion and angst of youth, and adult (paradise lost). Not only a very interesting and relevant story. But performed and produced with a punch of aggression, even on the gentler acoustic numbers. Brilliant! And their musicianship was arguably at their peek. Keith is tightly locked in with Entwistle, and Entwistle not only did the bass, but all the horns on the disc! INCREDIBLE! For me there is so much to discover on Quadrophenia that it always surprises me to hear some new nuance or allusion that is powerful and emotional. I also love how the themes repeat themselves embedded within various songs, then to glide back to the main riff of the song. Brilliant, and far more operatic than Tommy. And this is a complete statement! Who's Next is brilliant, but seems a bit fragmented, and too short. I am always wanting more and baffled that they didn't put Pure And Easy and The Naked Eye on it.

I couldn't agree more, Tommy is very tame on record. But didn't it come out before Abbey Road? Another problem with Tommy was that you had all these songs that served the plot, but didn't really stand up on their own, like "Go To The Mirror". Who's Next WAS too short, which is why the expanded version is great to have now. The credits on Quad were a bit pretentious: "Roger Daltrey: Vocals, John Entwistle: Bass and brass, Keith Moon: Percussion, Pete Townshend: Remainder

Date: June 5, 2011 10:23

71Tele
whitem8

I couldn't agree more, Tommy is very tame on record. But didn't it come out before Abbey Road? Another problem with Tommy was that you had all these songs that served the plot, but didn't really stand up on their own, like "Go To The Mirror". Who's Next WAS too short, which is why the expanded version is great to have now. The credits on Quad were a bit pretentious: "Roger Daltrey: Vocals, John Entwistle: Bass and brass, Keith Moon: Percussion, Pete Townshend: Remainder

I've heard other Beatles fans claiming that Tommy was influenced by Abbey Road..... yawning smiley

I love the 1975 movie version of 'I'm Free'.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 5, 2011 10:36

Yeah, Abbey Road came after, but they were recorded during the same time span, and it always just seemed to remind me of the production on Abbey Road, but not as good and very dense. It just isn't a well produced album, with too refrained an approach for The Who. In a sense, this was Pete's first solo album in many ways and the other members only seem to be side men on the album. However, live it was a whole other affair. Combining Tommy with their live staples of the time, Water, Naked Eye, etc, showed an entire different view of Tommy with it really then becoming a Who performance. Loud, raucous, touching, and sad. And full on electric! The Amazing Journey/Sparks from Live at Leeds is one of the most epic moments the entire band has. And of course Pete, his more electric approach with only three other musicians on stage meant that they had to be louder and more electric to make it work. And it is much better than the studio album.
It is a shame though that there hasn't been an entire concert released from the Quadrophenia tour. I know the tour was fraught with technical problems, ego battles, and just sloppy stoned out playing. But there were a few incredible shows, and some of the stuff from Wolfgang's site proves it. As does the neat stuff on the Backstage Pass live bonus disc that came with the fan club membership. A scorching version of Punk Meets the Godfather.
But to the guy who posted above that he stopped liking The Who around 72. Well that is a shame, because Who By Numbers is a stone cold classic that is highly underrated, yet probably one of Townshend's more reflective and focused works he did with The Who.

Date: June 5, 2011 13:26

ab
keefriffhard4life
ab
LeonidP
vancouver

I'd call an "art rock record" a high concept album that seeks to treat rock music as both a unified thought process and a serious means of expression beyond the ranta-ranta-ranta-ranta of three-chord rock 'n' roll.

And, yes, by referring to Quadrophenia as the last great art rock record, I'm asserting that The Wall is not a great record (e.g., most of the second LP side is pretty tedious).

what about queensryche OPERATION MINDCRIMEor w.a.s.p. crimson idol?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-05 13:26 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: June 5, 2011 13:39

whitem8

Whitey, for once, I have absolutely nothing to disagree with you about. Spot on. About both albums. Hope you're well, man.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 5, 2011 18:22

ab
LeonidP
vancouver

Or not a great music fan.

That's BS, it's just a matter of taste. I never liked the Who, I find it too academic, too bombastic and and I don't care about bass solos. Does that make me a 'not a great music fan'? Of course not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-05 18:24 by Koen.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 5, 2011 19:57

tatters
I know this has absolutely nothing to do with Quadrophenia, but check THIS one out!

It's horrible. Sounds and looks like an "Instituteofbass" instructor showing off in front of his students. Coke makes you do evil things... eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-05 19:59 by dcba.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1658
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home