Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: Quadrophenia box set out in October
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: June 8, 2011 12:41

tatters
ablett
Endless Wire was a superb album. Compare it to Bigger Bang!

I compared it to Psychoderelict, Pete's worst solo album, which, depressingly enough, is better.

You forgot Iron Man, Tatters. That's the one I find hard to defend. I never play it.

With Psychoderelict, I think it depends on which version you heard first. I heard the 'radio play' version, which, frankly sucked. The radio play was so excrutiatingly bad it obscured some great songs.

I was glad they released the non-play version, which is miles better. Some great stuff on there - English Boy, Now and Then, Outlive the Dinosaur, even Let's Get Pretentious.

Either way, it's the last solo album Pete released. I doubt there'll be another.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 8, 2011 14:10

Nikolai...once agree I agree with all you posted about Psychoderelict! True about the non play version, and I love English Boy! Iron Man was caca. By the way, did you pick up any of his live releases that came out? Live at Sadlers Wells expanded is fantastic! As is live at Brixton Academy. And how about Life House Elements? The version of Who Are You on that is very dark and menacing. I love it! And finally the Benefit for Maryville Academy is very nice with a stunning version of Drowned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-08 14:13 by whitem8.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 8, 2011 14:53

loog droog
The best art in rock n' roll is incidental or often, accidental. Pete's attempt to top himself after Tommy by making The Great Statement succeeded (Who's Next ) only when he failed in his attempt to create Lifehouse.

I like moments of Quadrophenia, but I think it sinks because of it's own weight. They did a better job of expressing teen angst on one single ("Substitute" ) than they did on four sides of that album. I find all the bombast of it to be too much.

The Who By Numbers is a favorite because it was a deliberate attempt to take a step back from the synth overkill of Quadrophenia (and the Tommy movie soundtrack) and get back to basics. Perhaps the drums are a little too muted, but the songs like "How Many Friends" and "They Are All In Love" "However Much I Booze" are of the moment. Like IORR the previous year, it's rockers grappling with feeling old (30!!).

Who Are You is a classic Who track, but the album itself is dreadful. As noted, too many songs about songs. I wish it they had left it to the 45 (b/w "Trick Of the Light" ) and ditched the rest of the album.

Townshend was saving his best songs for his solo work when Face Dances and It's Hard were released. On paper. Bill (syx whatever his name is, the guy with no vowels) should have been a good producer, especially when you hear his work with Joe Walsh and the James Gang. Not only does the whole record seem directionless, but it just sounds bad. Not a good debut for Kenney Jones.

Glyn Johns gets much better performances out of Jones on It's Hard, and it at least sounds like a Who record. Like some have said, there are some great overlooked songs like "Cry If You Want" "One Life's Enough" "I've Known No War" "Cooks County." Never liked "Eminence Front." Sounded like Pete was copying Talking Heads.

Well put loog. I think it's tempting, in hindsight, to look back and be revisionist about music, especially when your fave artists aren't producing music of strong quality or any music at all.

I've been buying Who albums since 71 and have seen them 30 times from 73 onwards. I remember my disappointment on hearing each subsequent release from Who By Numbers onwards and thinking that the band was weakening. The fire was not there anymore.

I put a lot of that down to Moony losing his wonderful manic edge and his drumming becoming more leaden from 75 onwards. The difference from seeing them performing Quadrophenia at Sundown Edmonton in London in Dec 73 to gigs on the 1975 tour was immense. The boozing had taken over and the sparkle was disappearing while a predictability had taken its place.

As for the albums, yes, Who By Numbers is the last album I can still listen to in its entirety but it pales in comparison to anything from Who Sell Out to Quadrophenia. The tunes are simply not as strong.

By Who Are You they had lost their way and really sounded out of time with what was else was going on. There was so much more exciting, more vital music to hear at the time. Townshend did keep back many of his best songs for Empty Glass. I'd love to have heard The Who doing versions of Rough Boys, Let My Love Open The Door and Jules And Jim to name just three from Empty Glass.

As for, It's Hard, it sure was....to listen to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-08 15:52 by Silver Dagger.

Date: June 8, 2011 15:24

ab
keefriffhard4life
ab
LeonidP
vancouver
i'm a great who fan (1964-1972), ! but i think this album is not so good..

sorry, but that makes you not a great who fan

Or not a great music fan. I'm sure he/she/them/it was more comfortable listening to GHS/IORR, i.e., the dulcet tones of the Stones slowly starting to p-ss their legacy away! Quadrophenia, while ridiculously overblown in parts, is probably the last great art rock record.

what makes something an art rock record?

An art rock record I'd describe as an album that it is made to be taken as a serious work, with a unifying theme.

queensryche- operation mindcrime
w.a.s.p.- crimson idol

both came out well after quadrophenia

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: June 8, 2011 15:49

whitem8
Nikolai...once agree I agree with all you posted about Psychoderelict! True about the non play version, and I love English Boy! Iron Man was caca. By the way, did you pick up any of his live releases that came out? Live at Sadlers Wells expanded is fantastic! As is live at Brixton Academy. And how about Life House Elements? The version of Who Are You on that is very dark and menacing. I love it! And finally the Benefit for Maryville Academy is very nice with a stunning version of Drowned.

Yeah, I got all of those. Shame there weren't more. I was at the first Sadlers Wells show and it was great. He put out the second night, which I now wish I'd gone to.

The Lifehouse box is wonderful, wonderful stuff. Shame it's been deleted.

Of the rest of the live releases - they're all very good. I love the Psychoderelict tour one too. Really interesting song choices on there. It was a troubled tour, because Pete had started drinking again (yeah, evacuate the city ...) Apparently he was so twatted he played one of the gigs practically lying down. He went back into rehab straight after.

Maryville's very good as well. The highlights for me are the stunning version of Now and Then, and the Eddie Vedder duet on Heart to Hang Onto. Amazing.

The only live set I have a problem with is the one I was most looking forward to - Brixton Academy '85, the White City era. I had the bootlegs from both both nights, the Deep End live album too, and I saw the gig at Midem the following year. Amazing big band shows with a kick arse band too (Gilmour on guitar, Simon Philipps on drums). The trouble with the Eel Pie set is the mastering. Way too loud. A real ear bleeder. I stick to the boots and the vinyl pressing of Deep End live. Save it for Later is incredible on that.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 8, 2011 18:05

Nikolai
the vinyl pressing of Deep End live. Save it for Later is incredible on that.

agreed, Deep End Live is a great little album.

what's wrong with "songs about songs"?

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: June 8, 2011 20:00

Hate to say it but Harlem Shuffle by Deep End is better than the Stones version off Dirty Work (ironically both versions date from about the same time).

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 9, 2011 07:10

Quadrophenia, while ridiculously overblown in parts, is probably the last great art rock record.[/quote]

what makes something an art rock record?[/quote]

An art rock record I'd describe as an album that it is made to be taken as a serious work, with a unifying theme.[/quote]

queensryche- operation mindcrime
w.a.s.p.- crimson idol

both came out well after quadrophenia[/quote]

To each his own. I rest my case.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1403
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home