Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
ALBUM DEATH MATCH: Undercover vs. Dirty Work (battle for the bottom)
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 12, 2015 02:17

OK, I love Undercover, let's just get that out there right away. Having said that, I'm sure you'll all agree I'm very well known to be completely impartial. I do understand there is a rather large contingent that think Undercover is the worst album. Is it?

How does Dirty Work rank next to Undercover?

OK, blow by blow, here we go:

Undercover Of the Night vs. One Hit To the Body - Both great songs, both great videos. Undercover Of The Night takes this by several points though...it's just so unique.

Fight vs. She Was Hot - This one's easy, Fight has no fight, just Mick shouting, She Was Hot by a landslide. that's 2-0 for Undercover at the moment.

Harlem Shuffle vs. Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love) - OK, a bit tougher on this one. I love the whole groove of Tie You Up but Harlem Shuffle is a pretty good cover. Sorry, TYU wins this. Undercover 3-0

Wanna Hold You vs. Hold Back - a very weak Keith vocal...however, Hold Back is an absolute travesty. 4-0...Dirty Work is starting to get killed.

Feel On Baby vs. Too Rude - damn...this one's close. I do like Feel on Baby but I'll give it to Keith. 4-1...Dirty Work on the board as side one closes....ready to mount a comeback!

Too Much Blood vs. Winning Ugly...seriously? Even if you like neither song, at least Too Much Blood has a sense of humour. 5-1...horrible, wasn't it.

Pretty Beat Up vs. The Worst Song in the Entire Stones canon, I mean Back To Zero - an interesting match up in that WOODY contributes to the writing here, AND you have another writer, a debut, for MR. Chuck Leavell! Woody vs. Chuck! AND, 6-1...Dirty Work is not going to recover with only 3 songs, it's pretty beat up!

Let's see how the final 3 matchups, match up!

Too Tough vs. Dirty Work - I know some people actually like the song Dirty Work, but I'm not one of them AND I love Too Tough...ok 7-1

All The Way Down vs. Had It With You - ok...now were finally back to a reasonable matchup, in fact I quite like Had it With You...but it doesn't hold a candle to All The Way Down, which is an amazing performance. 8-1

It Must Be Hell vs. Sleep Tonight - Can we even allow a 'soul survivor ripoff' to compete?! Sure, why not, it's pretty good. But not good enough. I would have given this one to Sleep Tonight, just as compensation for finally ending he album, but it's actually not too bad a tune, and certainly a standout on Dirty Work.

FINAL SCORE 8-2 Undercover over Dirty Work. Beauty, I knew I was right!

Honourable mention to Mr. Keith Richards, who got the only two wins on Dirty Work, and collected an additional win on Undercover.

Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH: Undercover vs. Dirty Work (battle for the bottom)
Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 12, 2015 02:24

I agree with the results but think harlem shuffle is way better than tie you up.

i honestly forgot how bad dirty work was until i read this and remembered. "sleep tonight" is my favorite track on it and i agree with you about keith's songs.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 12, 2015 02:27

Enough treacles, wave the white flag....this one is too easy.

Date: May 12, 2015 02:28

latebloomer

Isn't it absolutely jarring though, to shine the cold light of day on those Dirty Work tracks.

What in the hell were they thinking?!

Date: May 12, 2015 02:32

treaclefingers
latebloomer

Isn't it absolutely jarring though, to shine the cold light of day on those Dirty Work tracks.

agreed.
i remember charging down to the record store the day it was released, making them go to back room to unpack the shipment and sell me a copy... on the walk home staring at the cover, ripping it open, reading the liner notes... and then by the time i had finished listening to the first side i was completely empty of any excitement at all.

Date: May 12, 2015 02:33

Bsebastian
treaclefingers
latebloomer

agreed.
i remember charging down to the record store the day it was released, making them go to back room to unpack the shipment and sell me a copy... on the walk home staring at the cover, ripping it open, reading the liner notes... and then by the time i had finished listening to the first side i was completely empty of any excitement at all.

I was worse. I tried to like it for months.

Date: May 12, 2015 02:44

Undercover is in my top 3 Stones albums...Love it from the opening claps of electronic drumming to the final Soul Survivor v2 echoing howls...

Dirty Work was made from Keith and Micks burning rectums.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 12, 2015 04:13

Easy 10 - 0 to Undercover............

having said that, the cartoon about Olga was brilliant and following that cue, I found Dirty work is a great workout album..............including Sleep tonight for 'warming down'.........as they say over here.....

I don't know about 'battle for the bottom', I agree with Undercoverlovingcup, in my top 3 Stones albums....the grooves are sublime and a total one off........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-12 04:17 by EddieByword.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 12, 2015 04:34

Undercover: A still vital and energized band sounding ageless and fearless as they seem poised to take on the eighties full tilt.

Dirty Work: An angry middle age crisis is never fun to listen to on record. It never even begins to sound like a Stones album until the last track, but by then it's too late because side 2 is over and they're out of vinyl.

The only real comparison here is that these two albums represent the best (Undercover) and worst (Dirty Work) of their eighties album output.

Date: May 12, 2015 04:49

EddieByword

having said that, the cartoon about Olga was brilliant and following that cue, I found Dirty work is a great workout album..............including Sleep tonight for 'warming down'.........as they say over here.....

I don't know about 'battle for the bottom', I agree with Undercoverlovingcup, in my top 3 Stones albums....the grooves are sublime and a total one off........

Regarding 'battle for the bottom', it was my homage to those that think Undercover is their worst effort, and there are a few out there.

I agree, I think Undercover is an excellent album and in my top ten.

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: May 12, 2015 04:54

stonehearted
Undercover: A still vital and energized band sounding ageless and fearless as they seem poised to take on the eighties full tilt.

Dirty Work: An angry middle age crisis is never fun to listen to on record. It never even begins to sound like a Stones album until the last track, but by then it's too late because side 2 is over and they're out of vinyl.

The only real comparison here is that these two albums represent the best (Undercover) and worst (Dirty Work) of their eighties album output.

Spot on. The albums are in two different leagues. However, in terms of track vs. track, I will give One Hit the slightest edge over Undercover of the Night.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 12, 2015 04:58

Flip Shuffle and Hell, and I still got it 8-2. This may REALLY piss some people off, but I am beginning to think 77'-83' is as, if not more fertile than 68'-74'. With the recent outpouring of live and studio tracks of this period, and knowing there is more, it's worthy of consideration.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: May 12, 2015 05:16

ok. i'll bite....

Undercover Of the Night vs. One Hit To the Body - Undercover by a short and curly.

Fight vs. She Was Hot - She was Hot by a whole handful of short and curlies.

Harlem Shuffle vs. Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love) - Tie You up by 3 short and curlies, and a mouse's ass.

Wanna Hold You vs. Hold Back - Wanna Hold You by 2 handfulls of short and curlies.

Feel On Baby vs. Too Rude - Feel on Baby by a mouse's ass and a coin flip.

Too Much Blood vs. Winning Ugly - Too Much Blood by a short and curly and a nose hair.

Pretty Beat Up vs. Back To Zero - Pretty Beat up by 3 short and curlies, 2 nose hairs, and a mouse's ass.

Too Tough vs. Dirty Work - Too Tough by 6 short and curlies, 1 nose hair, and a dingleberry.

All The Way Down vs. Had It With You - All The Way Down by 9 short and curlies.

It Must Be Hell vs. Sleep Tonight - It Must Be Hell by a bathtub fart.

totals:

Undercover: 3 handfulls plus 23 short and curlies, 4 nose hairs, 3 mouse's asses, a coin flip, a dingleberry, and one bathtub fart.

Dirty Work: nil.

Winner: Undercover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-12 05:19 by josepi.

Date: May 12, 2015 05:24

josepi
ok. i'll bite....

Undercover Of the Night vs. One Hit To the Body - Undercover by a short and curly.

Harlem Shuffle vs. Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love) - Tie You up by 3 short and curlies, and a mouse's ass.

Wanna Hold You vs. Hold Back - Wanna Hold You by 2 handfulls of short and curlies.

Too Much Blood vs. Winning Ugly - Too Much Blood by a short and curly and a nose hair.

Pretty Beat Up vs. Back To Zero - Pretty Beat up by 3 short and curlies, 2 nose hairs, and a mouse's ass.

Too Tough vs. Dirty Work - Too Tough by 6 short and curlies, 1 nose hair, and a dingleberry.

totals:

Undercover: 3 handfulls plus 23 short and curlies, 4 nose hairs, 3 mouse's asses, a coin flip, a dingleberry, and one bathtub fart.

Thanks for your insights...I feel the need to wash

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 12, 2015 05:33

treaclefingers
josepi
ok. i'll bite....

totals:

Thanks for your insights...I feel the need to wash

Are these aforementioned short and curlies real thin blonde ones, or big thick red ones?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 12, 2015 05:39

treaclefingers
EddieByword

Regarding 'battle for the bottom', it was my homage to those that think Undercover is their worst effort, and there are a few out there.

I agree, I think Undercover is an excellent album and in my top ten.

Ahhh yeah, of course, ok, I get that, it's too true there's certainly a few of them.....

Posted by: snarky ()
Date: May 12, 2015 06:16

im sorry i love dirty work and think undercover is their worst album ever!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 12, 2015 06:25

Undercover is not their worst album. I just think of it as the first step on a long ladder down.

Posted by: snarky ()
Date: May 12, 2015 06:35

i just think micks'vocals on dirty work sound very raw and untouched and i like that

Date: May 12, 2015 07:17

snarky
im sorry i love dirty work and think undercover is their worst album ever!

being a little snarky don't you think?!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 12, 2015 07:22

>I'm sure you'll all agree I'm very well known to be completely impartial.

And yet you've already declared it a "battle for the bottom" -- hardly impartial.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 12, 2015 11:26

Well, One Hit and Sleep Tonight are great and actually better than the counterparts on Undercover. All the rest on Undercover, even filler like Too Tough and All The Way Down, is better than the infernal lousiness of the remaining songs on DW. So 8 - 2 for Undercover.

Date: May 12, 2015 11:36

Undercover (Of The Night) vs. One Hit (To The Body)
Undercover (1-0)

She Was Hot vs. Fight
She Was Hot (2-0)

Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love) vs. Harlem Shuffle
Tie You Up (3-0)

Wanna Hold You vs. Hold Back
Wanna Hold You (4-0)

Feel On Baby vs. Too Rude
Feel On Baby (5-0)

Too Much Blood vs. Winning Ugly
Too Much Blood (6-0)

Pretty Beat Up vs. Back To Zero
Pretty Beat Up (7-0)

Too Tough vs. Dirty Work
Too Tough (8-0)

All The Way Down vs. Had It With You
Had It With You (8-1)

It Must Be Hell vs. Sleep Tonight
Sleep Tonight (8-2)

Nothing vs. Key To The Highway
Key To The Highway (8-3)

Date: May 12, 2015 11:45

matxil
Well, One Hit and Sleep Tonight are great and actually better than the counterparts on Undercover. All the rest on Undercover, even filler like Too Tough and All The Way Down, is better than the infernal lousiness of the remaining songs on DW. So 8 - 2 for Undercover.

with the phrase 'infernal lousiness' i believe that you have perfectly described 'dirty work'.

Date: May 12, 2015 11:50

I don't find Too Tough and All The Way Down filler.

And what on earth is weak with Keith's Wanna Hold You-vocals? confused smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 12, 2015 12:01

Maybe Dirty Work is the worst album ever made by an established rock/pop-artist? How does it get worse from that?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 12, 2015 12:02

Dirty Work Hahaaahaaaa...that album isn't even able to beat any of Eagles furious albums...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 12, 2015 12:03

Stoneage
Maybe Dirty Work is the worst album ever made by an established rock/pop-artist? How does it get worse from that?

amazingly, it's possible the same band produced both the best and worst album... the stones never cease to amaze.

Date: May 12, 2015 12:06

Stoneage

That's silly. I like it.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 12, 2015 12:16

Sure, DP. But you gotta admit it was a huge letdown at the time. I'm sure even you expected something better than this?

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1683
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home