Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Will any USA Band EVER be as Great as The Stones?
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 30, 2011 12:12

keefriffhard4life
BluzDude
As far as largest constant draw over the years as well as longevity over the years, I am not talking about opinion if this is a good band, I would have to say Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band would be America's top contender, at least more so than any other US band named here so far. They would not qualify as a solo artist.

i still think as a whole of album sales and concert tickets aerosmith has sold more of both than springsteen.

you are right about record sales, 64 million to 61 million. I wonder if Aerosmith ever sold 350,000 tickets to a few stadium shows in one week at the same venue, not sharing the stage with any other name acts?

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 30, 2011 12:28

great as in ticket & album sales or great as in talent?

there are/were many great american bands but the record companies in the states have always demanded hits instead of art.i don't know how it was elsewhere but up until the 70's people listened to the radio and mostly bought singles instead of albums. am radio was king and it was basically hits while fm radio was more underground , you heard album cuts , concerts, live radio station performances, and other rare material. i think it stayed like that until the early 80's

Date: May 30, 2011 13:15

BluzDude
keefriffhard4life
BluzDude
As far as largest constant draw over the years as well as longevity over the years, I am not talking about opinion if this is a good band, I would have to say Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band would be America's top contender, at least more so than any other US band named here so far. They would not qualify as a solo artist.

i still think as a whole of album sales and concert tickets aerosmith has sold more of both than springsteen.

you are right about record sales, 64 million to 61 million. I wonder if Aerosmith ever sold 350,000 tickets to a few stadium shows in one week at the same venue, not sharing the stage with any other name acts?

all of those shows are in new jersey. bruce couldn't come to mississppi and sell that many tickets to the same venue

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 30, 2011 16:46

MIchael Jackson, as far as selling tickets could be called the greatest if you add in his brothers to the mix. Not a fact that I love to state, but they're right up there.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: May 30, 2011 16:46

colonial
Anywhere in the world ya' ask the everyday man and women on the street to answer those 4 questions in less than 10 seconds and those are the sort of answers ya' probably get

1-Question- Whats Britains Greatest Band?
Answer-The Rolling Stones

2-Question- Who is Britains Greatest Individual Performer?
Answer- Rrr..hmm..Rrrr?

3-Question-Whats Americas Greatest Band?
Answer-Rrr..hmm..Rrr?

4-Question-Who is Americas Greatest Individual Performer?
Answer-Elvis Presley

Ask any European male that has seen The Sonics live who America's greatest rock 'n' roll band is today and you will have your answer to #3!

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: May 30, 2011 20:56

Good question, while I think that the era of the new megaband ( Stones, Pink Floyd, Beatles The Who - all englissh btw)is dead, I think the stones had several key american influences including Muddy Waters and Chuck Berry

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 30, 2011 22:19

keefriffhard4life
BluzDude
keefriffhard4life
BluzDude

all of those shows are in new jersey. bruce couldn't come to mississppi and sell that many tickets to the same venue

don't forget 4 shows at the 90,000 seat LA Colosseum.
I have seen Aerosmith a few times and I like them, but I never had any trouble getting tickets to their shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-30 22:21 by BluzDude.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 30, 2011 22:31

BluzDude
keefriffhard4life
BluzDude
keefriffhard4life
BluzDude

don't forget 4 shows at the 90,000 seat LA Colosseum.
I have seen Aerosmith a few times and I like them, but I never had any trouble getting tickets to their shows.
Aerosmith couldn't even sell out 4 shows in their hometown like Bruce can.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: May 30, 2011 23:56

santana will NEVER be bigger than PF.We are talking about the PF who introduced DSOTM- the album which was on the charts looooooooonner than anything CS produced. No freaking way- sorry 'bro. amiogo.mate or whatever moniker bests describes the realationship our board provides.... en otras palabras - de ninguna manera, amigo!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 30, 2011 23:57

The Replacements on a good night were as good, imo.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: May 31, 2011 00:23

nankerphlege
No Band has or will equal or surpass the impact of the Stones. I think they are a Bach or Beethoven of our time.
Agree with that statement. With the Beatles, they push the limits of the musical expression of the XX century to unknown borders ( melting blues and jazz to pre-rock music, meaning rock is the ultimate forms of those 2).

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 31, 2011 01:24

When Kid Rock inducted Aerosmith into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, he spoke more than once and kept referring to Aerosmith as the greatest AMERICAN rock and roll band. So he made you think, "Ahh, he obviously thinks the Rolling Stones are the greatest rock n roll band in the world."

Incidentally, watch the clip from that night below around :16 when Kid Rock says something to Keith Richards in the audience, and the camera cuts to Keith smiling. It's a very brief but amusing moment.

Date: May 31, 2011 01:44

steverogan
santana will NEVER be bigger than PF.We are talking about the PF who introduced DSOTM- the album which was on the charts looooooooonner than anything CS produced. No freaking way- sorry 'bro. amiogo.mate or whatever moniker bests describes the realationship our board provides.... en otras palabras - de ninguna manera, amigo!

i missed that. who said santana was bigger than pink floyd? everything pink floyd releases goes multiplatinum. the new santana album is struggling to go gold

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 31, 2011 01:56

Why are Pink Floyd and Santana being discussed in thread about "USA" bands?

Date: May 31, 2011 01:59

Glam Descendant
Why are Pink Floyd and Santana being discussed in thread about "USA" bands?

i know pink floyd got mentioned because i said there releases sell higher numbers than the stones and the beatles and led zeppelin outsold the stones so how can the stones automatically be the greatest band from england

Date: May 31, 2011 02:17

You equated sales with "greatest"? Oh, ok.

Date: May 31, 2011 03:09

Glam Descendant

i equate popularity with greatness. if no one knows who you are you can't be great. to just assume the stones are the greatest isn't giving any consideration to the numerous bands who are much more popular than the stones

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 31, 2011 03:15

nope.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 31, 2011 03:36

keefriffhard4life
Glam Descendant

i equate popularity with greatness. if no one knows who you are you can't be great. to just assume the stones are the greatest isn't giving any consideration to the numerous bands who are much more popular than the stones

It is not accurate to equate popularity with greatness. There are many examples of greatness in all walks of life that are not defined by popularity.

Date: May 31, 2011 12:31

stonescrow
colonial
Anywhere in the world ya' ask the everyday man and women on the street to answer those 4 questions in less than 10 seconds and those are the sort of answers ya' probably get

1-Question- Whats Britains Greatest Band?
Answer-The Rolling Stones

2-Question- Who is Britains Greatest Individual Performer?
Answer- Rrr..hmm..Rrrr?

3-Question-Whats Americas Greatest Band?
Answer-Rrr..hmm..Rrr?

4-Question-Who is Americas Greatest Individual Performer?
Answer-Elvis Presley

Ask any European male that has seen The Sonics live who America's greatest rock 'n' roll band is today and you will have your answer to #3!

+ 1

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 31, 2011 15:31

Mathijs
In '91 Guns & Roses where bigger than the Stones.

Mathijs

Sometimes you think you're bigger than The Stones don't you?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 31, 2011 15:35

What about Jackson 5 ?

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: May 31, 2011 16:36

Mathijs

Mathijs

Wrong. Plus in 89 when they opened for the Stones the Stones blew them off teh stage.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: May 31, 2011 16:39

mickschix
MIchael Jackson, as far as selling tickets could be called the greatest if you add in his brothers to the mix. Not a fact that I love to state, but they're right up there.

Selling tix is not a barometer for greatness.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 31, 2011 18:49

mickscarey
Mathijs

Mathijs

Wrong. Plus in 89 when they opened for the Stones the Stones blew them off teh stage.

Wrong, kind of. I saw them opening night at the L.A. Coliseum in 1989. Guns & Roses were incredible, made all the more amazing by Axl's rants from the stage against his own band. The Stones, by contrast, seemed old and when they played that 50s type video when they did IORR, it seemed like I was watching a nostalgia band.

Fast forward to Sunday, the final night of the stand. The Stones dominated and made their opening acts forgetful. (Living Color and Guns & Roses). Axl even came out wearing buttless leather chaps for some embarrasing reason. I think there were four concerts in that L.A. Coliseum stand in 1989. I don't know how Guns & Roses and The Rolling Stones compared the other two nights, but Guns & Roses definitely took round 1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-31 18:56 by 24FPS.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 31, 2011 18:52

24FPS
mickscarey
Mathijs

Mathijs

Wrong, kind of. I saw them opening night at the L.A. Coliseum in 1989. Guns & Roses were incredible, made all the more amazing by Axl's rants from the stage against his own band. The Stones, by contrast, seemed old and when they played that 50s type video when they played IORR, it seemed like I was watching a nostalgia band.

Fast forward to Sunday, the final night of the stand. The Stones dominated and made their opening acts forgettul. (Living Color and Guns & Roses). Axl even came out wearing buttless leather chaps for some embarrasing reason. I think there were four concerts in that L.A. Coliseum stand in 1989. I don't know how Guns & Roses and The Rolling Stones compared the other two nights, but Guns & Roses definitely took round 1.

in 89 guns n roses blew everybody away! EVERYBODY!

Date: June 1, 2011 04:33

>i equate popularity with greatness. if no one knows who you are you can't be great.

By your logic, Britney Spears is "great" because she is popular, but Van Gogh was not, because no one knew who he was.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 1, 2011 05:39

What about these guys?

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: June 1, 2011 06:43

Redbone.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 2, 2011 07:27

keefriffhard4life
georgeV
With Stones, Beatles, Led Zep from England, etc....I am not sure how US bands even with their neighbor from Canada: BTO, Rush, Neil Young, Celine Dion, Bryan Adams. Wahat has com out of the US other thean a bunch of screaming like Aerosmith or BonJovi?
i like you mention led zeppelin and then say all americans do is a bunch of screaming.

the beach boys
jefferson airplane
the black crowes
lynyrd skynyrd

btw pink floyd was a much bigger band than the stones

Sold more albums...doesn't make them a bigger band necessarily. What about the tour $$'s... I don't think Floyd would come close.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1665
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home