Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Lady Gaga
Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 29, 2011 17:10

Gaga not original, Lene Lovich was:

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: May 29, 2011 17:16

I would have to say that the Stones had their own "Lady Gaga" era . . starting in 1990 where the quality of the music took a backseat to the spectacle and wow factor.

I liked the Stones in the Jones/Taylor era, where the emphasis was on substance and not theatrics.

Now Gaga is being judged not by her music but by her performance and laugh value. I have no use for her music, too noisy for me. But no question she is the top audience draw in the world today, far eclipsing the rock acts of the past.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-29 17:17 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: zeb ()
Date: May 29, 2011 18:09

I really think she´s overrated. I mean she sounds like all the others crap´s playing on the radio.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 29, 2011 18:20

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-31 00:50 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 29, 2011 18:24

Although I appreciate Madonna for what she she did...............she never did anything like this ....so I think LGaGa is great what she is doing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-29 18:37 by NICOS.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 29, 2011 18:51

The division between open-minded artist/musician types and grumpy, old rock-nerds that post here is never so great then whenever someone current is brought up in this forum.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 29, 2011 22:21

jamesfdouglas
The division between open-minded artist/musician types and grumpy, old rock-nerds that post here is never so great then whenever someone current is brought up in this forum.

By the way, I learned that Lady Gaga's previous persona Stefani, which I liked from what I heard, was basically a commercial failure, and her recording contract had been cancelled.

She had to switch her "act" to be commercially viable, because she had been shown the door by her old record company.

Methinks she would have dressed up like Mozart or Beethoven if that is what brought in the bucks. Her "message" is rather simple minded. We aren't "born that way". We all have choices in life.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 30, 2011 00:04

...no you have it ass backwards...her message is simple....love and compassion....and as far as being "born that way" that's way past your pay grade.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 30, 2011 01:09

Well, love and compassion, she can't stake much of an artistic claim there, the beauty pageant queens use that with their callings for world peace, let alone billions of people who live that sentiment as a given long before she reinvented herself for love of fame.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 30, 2011 01:45

She merely brings to mind the fact that she's a newly minted and wealthy star who's selling million of albums AND SO WHAT ABOUT THE LAMENT THAT THE MUSIC INDUSTRY CAN'T MAKE MONEY ANYMORE?? "Oh, my, the music biz is dead because of Internet pirating and it's impossible to make money in it anymore." And I'm seeing Forbes claim that 17-year-old Justin Bieber made over $50 million last year alone. Oh, that poor poor dying music industry!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 30, 2011 01:48

NICOS
Although I appreciate Madonna for what she she did...............she never did anything like this ....so I think LGaGa is great what she is doing

I like this one. It shows that the composition itself are pretty decent. It's the modern-day production that makes it sound like everything else on the radio.
It's not my type of music, but I have to say that there is "something" in her music that makes it a little more special than any other mainstream act.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: May 30, 2011 02:44

Do you agree that Madonna is a legitimate talent, but that Lady Gaga isn't?[/quote]

Neither is my taste but at least Gaga Can play an Instruments for real.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 30, 2011 04:40

mitchflorida
Do you agree that Madonna is a legitimate talent, but that Lady Gaga isn't?
virgil
Neither is my taste but at least Gaga Can play an Instruments for real.

"Madonna is a thimbleful of talent in a sea of ambition." — Mick Jagger

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 30, 2011 06:35

Based on that clip, it's hard to deny that she has artistic qualities, can sing and play the piano.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 30, 2011 11:49

The clip is impressive. Maybe one day she'll release a record with a more stripped-back production and less gimmicks. I like a bit of euro-pop - which is what so many of her records sound like to me - but she certainly has more to offer. As far as comparisons with Madonna go: only time will tell.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 30, 2011 12:36

No doubt she can sing and has musical abilities. However, it is just her music sounds like crap to me. Like a bad episode of Glee on repeat.

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: May 30, 2011 17:55

As we all know the weakest markets for Rock music are the UK and the US. What does that say about our musical taste? I do not want to be like my parents and hate the music my daughter listens to. Still Lady GaGa and Justin Beiber. Nazerath no longer tours the States, Deep Purple doing a short tour this summer. their first since '07. When was the last time UFO tour here? Black Country Communion is doing a short tour here. And one other thing...why are we even having a discussion about Lady GaGa? I must have missed the Justin Beiber one...

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 30, 2011 18:01

She seems to have some talent compared to all of the other pop stars.

I never sat down to listen to her, I do like her Paparazzi song though.

Posted by: RollingStoner ()
Date: May 30, 2011 18:30

Blueranger
NICOS

I like this one. It shows that the composition itself are pretty decent. It's the modern-day production that makes it sound like everything else on the radio.
It's not my type of music, but I have to say that there is "something" in her music that makes it a little more special than any other mainstream act.

A Rolling Stones parallel to this is how we all say there is a great blues song buried underneath all of the production of Might As Well Get Juiced

Date: June 8, 2011 03:13

Lady Gaga leaves nothing to the imagination as she hits the dancefloor in a sheer body suit

Read more: [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 8, 2011 05:06

>Gaga not original, Lene Lovich was

That's funny you wrote that because I just saw an interview w/Gaga on "60 Minutes" in which they included a bit about her describing her sartorial style, and her response (something along the lines of "this is just the way I feel like dressing") reminded me of a clip I saw of Lene Lovich in the early 80s. I actually turned to a friend and said, "I saw Lene Lovich say almost the exact same thing about 25 years ago!"

IMO Gaga has done her homework and is working it hard.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 8, 2011 05:44

Here is a column from the Buffalo News art editor that was in todays edition.

[Lady Gaga review]

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 8, 2011 06:01

mitchflorida

Lady Gaga leaves nothing to the imagination as she hits the dancefloor in a sheer body suit

Read more: [www.dailymail.co.uk]
IOncluding the fact that she is a hermaphrodite.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2517
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home