Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Sweet Virginia" Question
Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: May 27, 2011 10:44

Does anyone know which of the three guitarists does the mandolin-style soloing on the high E string during the intro of "Sweet Virginia" (while Mick J. is also playing the harmonica)?

Being a product of the 1972 LP Exile on Main Street, even Mick Jagger (among the two accomplished guitarists that are Keith Richards and Mick Taylor) by this point had learned the guitar (Jagger was first credited with playing guitar on the Sticky Fingers LP, on the songs "Sway," "Dead Flowers" and "Moonlight Mile").

~Ben

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-27 13:43 by BrianJones1969.

Re: "Sweet Virginia" Question
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 27, 2011 11:01

BrianJones1969
Does anyone know which of the three guitarists does the mandolin-style strumming on the high G string during the intro of "Sweet Virginia" (while Mick J. is also playing the harmonica)?

That's Taylor.

Mathijs

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: May 27, 2011 11:22

Mathijs
BrianJones1969
Does anyone know which of the three guitarists does the mandolin-style strumming on the high G string during the intro of "Sweet Virginia" (while Mick J. is also playing the harmonica)?

That's Taylor.

Mathijs
Thank you very much.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 27, 2011 12:09

Ohh that's so beautifully played with that acoustic solo-guitar all over the song....so Keith is only doin the strumming ...intressting....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 27, 2011 12:11

...and Charlie have picked up his old 'Indian drums' which he used on 'Good Times Bad Times'....and Bobby is really playin saxophone and Keiths back-up vocal is world-class...best song on Exile...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 27, 2011 13:03

A great song, nobody does coutry rock better than the stones in their hay day...the harmonies are brilliant. That's what I really missed through the 90's onwards - the Glimmers sharing the same mic. It's the classic stones photo!

Date: May 27, 2011 13:08

crumbling_mice
A great song, nobody does coutry rock better than the stones in their hay day...the harmonies are brilliant. That's what I really missed through the 90's onwards - the Glimmers sharing the same mic. It's the classic stones photo!

On The Worst and Sweethearts Together they supposedly shared the mike in the studio. IMO, TW is brilliant.

Date: May 27, 2011 13:35

Yes Dandelion, but, and this is the acid test, if and when they tour again and those particular songs are played, would they share the miic on stage - I doubt it!

Date: May 27, 2011 13:37

crumbling_mice
Yes Dandelion, but, and this is the acid test, if and when they tour again and those particular songs are played, would they share the miic on stage - I doubt it!

Ha ha, I doubt it, too. But never say never, though. They hugged on the last two tours smiling smiley

Date: May 27, 2011 13:46

Well, to be honest, Keith's vocals as regards harmonising are pretty much shot anyway. But I still think the band and music lost something once they cut back on the harmonising in the 80's. I recently had Still Life playing and was very impressed at Keith's harmonies then and I saw them on a few shows in 82 and even by then the sharing of mics had gone and it was Ronnie and Keith who tended to share the mic for the harmonies. Keith's backing on Let's Spend the NIght Together are brilliant and YCAGWYW. From then on it seemed to die a death and of course the backing singers appeared and Chuck and it became a Vegas show. confused smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 27, 2011 16:16

crumbling_mice
That's what I really missed through the 90's onwards - the Glimmers sharing the same mic. It's the classic stones photo!

They tried that with Faraway Eyes on the Shine A Light movie, but Keith messed up the lyrics, so it wasn't very successful, unfortunately.

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: May 27, 2011 17:55

Have the Stones ever played Sweet Virginia in Virginia? I wonder if the audience sang along on the choruses...

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: May 27, 2011 18:01

Thricenay
Have the Stones ever played Sweet Virginia in Virginia? I wonder if the audience sang along on the choruses...

Well they certainly played it in Norfolk in '72.

Dunno about any of the Charlottesville shows. They obviously didn't play it in Hampton in '75-'81.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: May 28, 2011 05:26

Call me crazy, but I think Keith had a beautiful voice in the sixties and early seventies when blending with Mick's vocals. Always thought they should of used Keith's voice (along with Mick's) even MORE back then.... Too late now though!

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: May 28, 2011 17:41

That little Taylor lead in the intro I always envisioned as something they overdubbed at Nellcote in the Kitchen. You can hear bottle clanking during that part on Exile.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1462
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home