Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Track Talk: (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 23, 2011 23:40

Satisfaction might be the ultimate Garage Rock anthem. There was garage rock before Satisfaction, and afterward, but the song has that rawness and sexuality the Beatles had no chance of expressing. Over the years, as I heard it on better equipment than a mono car radio, I began to appreciate Bill Wyman's masterful counter point playing. In time I also began to hear those acoustic guitars ring out. I thought it was Brian, but it really doesn't matter as they really just perform a function to bolster the sound.

Cigarette ads were still very prevalent on American television. It was the first time I thought about being psychologically manipulated by advertisers with the line, "....he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke, the same cigarettes as me."

It wasn't until I got the album Out of Our Heads years later that I heard Jagger's impassioned 'I Can't Get Nos' on the fadeout without them being cut off by a DJ spinning into his next record. A wonderful time in rock and roll right before the drugs and the psychedelia, when the music was all you needed.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 23, 2011 23:55

Rik and Vocalion you are both spot on!! Satisfaction is not even in my 100 top list of Stones tunes. But the album version is alright. But Otis' version is better.

I hate the fact that ignorant people don't get that The Stones got thousands of better tunes!

But the lyrics ARE GREAT and it's a fun tune to play on the trusty old 355.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 24, 2011 00:18

I can't believe the Stones allowed this. Goes against everything the song stood for.

Drew

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: May 24, 2011 01:28

His Majesty
Where does this thing about Brian not playing on it come from? What is there that proves he didn't play the acouistic guitar?

No official studio logs exist for the Brian era, so I guess we'll keep guessing as to who played what on all those tracks.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 24, 2011 01:46

neptune
His Majesty
Where does this thing about Brian not playing on it come from? What is there that proves he didn't play the acouistic guitar?

No official studio logs exist for the Brian era, so I guess we'll keep guessing as to who played what on all those tracks.

It looks common here, every time a song is discussed there are some who doubt if Brain is playing on the track ...looks like he didn't play at all

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 24, 2011 02:31

Vocalion
Kill me, but I think it's highly overrated. Like Keith & Mick said: an album filler.

so, what do you like?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 24, 2011 02:33

pmk251
Speaking of Louie, Louie...There's a book written about it that tells how Hoover's FBI spent a lot of time trying to decipher the lyrics for a suspected obscenity charge. Just like all the kids at the time, they could not figure them out either. As I recall, the lyrics of the song were sold for a few hundred dollars during a meeting at Jola Bowl on La Brea just north of Florence in Inglewood, California.

"sold"? Why would anyone need to buy a set of lyrics so basic? And which supposedly weren't meant to be understood?

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 24, 2011 04:07

Silver Dagger
Simply the greatest pop song of all time. The beginning of garage punk, rock and punk itself - all can be traced down to this one incredible gem of a song.

The way it starts up with that incessant riff, that grows and grows and carries Jagger's howling tale of sexual frustration right down the rock'n'roll highway.

It's the song that nearly every hot blooded male - and probably females too - can relate to - not getting your way in a phoney bullshit world. And all the while you're singing your head off to it on the dance floor or in a car imagining all the dumbass authority figures that you just want to blow away.

And you know what - it still sounds just as great today as it did the day it came out. Pure pop genius.

Very well stated...I consider this tune to be THE signature song that embodied and/or defined the 1960's...

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: May 24, 2011 06:54

cc
pmk251
Speaking of Louie, Louie...There's a book written about it that tells how Hoover's FBI spent a lot of time trying to decipher the lyrics for a suspected obscenity charge. Just like all the kids at the time, they could not figure them out either. As I recall, the lyrics of the song were sold for a few hundred dollars during a meeting at Jola Bowl on La Brea just north of Florence in Inglewood, California.

"sold"? Why would anyone need to buy a set of lyrics so basic? And which supposedly weren't meant to be understood?

I think he meant that the song rights were sold for $750 by the original writer. He later sued and got $2 million in back royalties.

The singer Jack Ely quit the band soon after recording this song and made a lump sum of $5000 for it and never received another penny. It has made millions for the record label and publisher in royalties.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-24 06:55 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 24, 2011 07:34

Sighunt
Silver Dagger
The beginning of garage punk, rock and punk itself - all can be traced down to this one incredible gem of a song.

Very well stated...I consider this tune to be THE signature song that embodied and/or defined the 1960's...

Yes, but it wasn't the beginning of anything, except the short lived fuzzbox rage. There were plenty of garage rock/punk,whatever, songs before this. As both the Beatles and Stones were best at, they simply took a prevalent fad and topped it off and made it world class pop. There was psychedelia before Sgt. Pepper. Cream's first album came out in 1966. There was disco before Miss You. Both groups kept their ears and eyes open and appropriated what was going on around them. I wouldn't be cranky but I hate analogies like "This was MTV before MTV. Or, this was the first punk song." 1964's All Day & All The Night and You Really Got Me rocked harder than Satisfaction. But it is a catchy pop song that captured the summer of 1965 and it's world wide success established the Stones as a great singles band.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: May 24, 2011 09:51

cc
Vocalion
Kill me, but I think it's highly overrated. Like Keith & Mick said: an album filler.

so, what do you like?

Cherry Red.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 24, 2011 10:05

Cherry Red ...Big Joe Turner on Vocalion ...yeah good tune

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 24, 2011 10:10

Cherry Red...only on 'Love you live' ??...that's what I call a Stones-fan...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 24, 2011 10:24

neptune
His Majesty

So maybe Jimmy Page played acoustic on Satisfaction. tongue sticking out smiley He probably played guitar on most of the rest of the top 40 of the week of its release.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: May 24, 2011 13:04

The Kinks, You Really Got Me and All Day and All Of The Night came out a year before Satisfaction, dont you think they are better Rock Songs.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 24, 2011 13:15

No they are great songs, but Satisfaction did something else that sets it apart from its peers. It questioned fame and wealth in a classic nihilistic irreverence that set it apart from the average pop group. I mean how direct can you be when you are rich, have all the women you could hope for, and still sing with anger and regret, "I can't get no satisfaction..." yeah, and how that resonated with the fans who were questioning what was the point of everything when all you had in life was a map that was created by your parents or the government...college, wife, kids, safe career that kept you as a cog in the machine, Or getting drafted to fight in Southeast Asia, or Ireland. No Satisfaction indeed.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: May 24, 2011 13:17

drewmaster
I can't believe the Stones allowed this. Goes against everything the song stood for.

Drew
Do they have the power to decide that? Or was it ABKCO?

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: May 24, 2011 13:38

Come On
Cherry Red...only on 'Love you live' ??...that's what I call a Stones-fan...

Thanks.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 24, 2011 13:48

the Shindig performance where they're miming to an alternate version with Brian on acoustic and harp

i love the Rolling Stones ... and thanks for the finetuning, HM! :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-24 17:40 by with sssoul.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 24, 2011 15:28

I'm not so sure that is the unreleased version, they recorded tracks especially for that show hence the unique alternative versions of The Last Time, Little Red Rooster etc.

Date: May 24, 2011 15:31

rootsman
Andrew Oldham says Jack Nitzsche played the piano, and also that:
"Keith overdubbed the magical fuzz...He then laid down a bed of acoustic guitars in order for Mick to have something to ballad the verses to...".
(From "2Stoned" )

Even if Andrew remembers this right, Brian could still have played acoustic on the basic track.

Sounds like a load of mis-remembering because the fuzz and clean electric is one and the same guitar, and probably was done at same time as drums and bass because it starts the song.

Date: May 24, 2011 15:36

lapaz62
The Kinks, You Really Got Me and All Day and All Of The Night came out a year before Satisfaction, dont you think they are better Rock Songs.

Absolutely not, not even close, imo. Satisfaction's sound, riff, lyrics and the message of frustration defined the 60s.

Posted by: cookwazzahoe ()
Date: May 24, 2011 16:11

FreeBird
drewmaster

Drew
Do they have the power to decide that? Or was it ABKCO?

It was Klein and ABKCO
He owns the publishing rights
But Jagger & Richard still got a royalty (probably a mil or so) payment on it

Date: May 24, 2011 17:22

I would love to know who recorded that version of Satisfaction . .

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 24, 2011 17:24

I've a hard time grasping the true meaning of the lines:

And I'm tryin' to make some girl
Who tells me baby better come back later next week
'Cause you see I'm on a losing streak

Could someone with a deeper understanding of the English language shine a light on this please? Thanks in advance.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 24, 2011 17:33

marcovandereijk honey, Mick's explained that those lines mean the chick had her period.
before i read his explanation i thought the lines "you see i'm on a losing streak" were the singer's viewpoint
("to be on a losing streak" is a common idiom for having a run of bad luck,
and the chick telling him to come back next week seemed to fit right in with that)
but then i read his explanation that that same idiom is used by prostitutes to mean "to have one's period"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-24 17:37 by with sssoul.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 24, 2011 17:50

Ah, thank you very much. That is probably what I was looking for, since Mick once said
that was the dirtiest line of the song. And as one can easily understand, knowing there
was something dirty about it, it raised my attention.

(BTW, yesterday my oldest daughter told me she wanted to do a lecture at school about the
Stones. I am so very proud of her. It was the first time she showed some interest, and
I proudly spent the rest of the evening telling her of the history of the band. The evening
was too short, of course, so we ended the conversation in 1965 and I played her Satisfaction
really loud!) She's digging it, and at the moment I hear the song coming from her room.
I think the upbringing will succeed!)

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: May 24, 2011 17:59

marcovandereijk
Ah, thank you very much. That is probably what I was looking for, since Mick once said
that was the dirtiest line of the song. And as one can easily understand, knowing there
was something dirty about it, it raised my attention.

Good answer. Satisfaction can only be understood in context to the forerunner hit, "Louie Louie", which was also banned for being dirty.

Only you can judge which is the superior composition. I know my answer, but choose not to share it here as it would be too controversial.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-24 18:02 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: May 24, 2011 18:07

whitem8
...the fans who were questioning what was the point of everything when all you had in life was ...college, wife, kids, safe career ... No Satisfaction indeed.

Would you have more satisfaction in life without education, a partner, children, and a safe job?

Date: May 24, 2011 19:08

ab

So maybe Jimmy Page played acoustic on Satisfaction. tongue sticking out smiley He probably played guitar on most of the rest of the top 40 of the week of its release.

He didn't on as much stuff as people think.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1590
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home