Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 3 of 11
Re: Mick Taylor's Top Ten
Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: May 27, 2011 19:05

71Tele
OK, limiting my choices to officially released albums (this omits Brussels, of course):

1. Sway
2. Love In Vain (Ya-Yas version)
3. Winter
4. 100 Years Ago
5. Moonlight Mile
6. Honky Tonk Women (single or Ya-Yas)
7. Shine A Light
8. Stop Breaking Down
9. Time Waits For No One
10. Sympathy For The Devil (Ya-Yas)

You leaving out CYHMK?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 27, 2011 19:07

His Majesty
Amsterdamned
That's what's this thread is about.Taylor+Richards and how they function in S&C
Nonsense?

It's meant to be about forum members opinions on what Mick Taylor's top ten is.

zoom zoom.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 27, 2011 19:09

Thricenay
71Tele
OK, limiting my choices to officially released albums (this omits Brussels, of course):

1. Sway
3. Winter
4. 100 Years Ago
5. Moonlight Mile
7. Shine A Light
8. Stop Breaking Down
9. Time Waits For No One

You leaving out CYHMK?

Oops.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 27, 2011 19:16

71Tele

1. Sway
3. Winter
4. 100 Years Ago
5. Moonlight Mile
7. Shine A Light
8. Stop Breaking Down
9. Time Waits For No One

This adequate list just proves Taylor was given most room on stage and when Richards was (almost) absent. Exactly proof of what I said up here. Very logic he quit (regardless of the money issue). It's as clear a something extremely clear. It wouldn't amaze me if Taylor would confirm. Conclusion: Keith couldn't accept that Taylor outshone him in the studio. Thanks to Jagger and despite Richards this (relatively short) list could be made.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 27, 2011 19:39

kleermaker
Conclusion: Keith couldn't accept that Taylor outshone him in the studio.

But... he didn't.

Date: May 27, 2011 20:17

His Majesty
kleermaker

But... he didn't.

So ... he didn't.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: May 27, 2011 21:19

Taylor was given no room in the studio? What about TWFNO, CYHMK, Ventilator Blues (I know he's low on the mix but the whole album is a muddled mess of a mix), 100 Years Ago, Sway, Moonlight Mile. And Keith was on half of those tracks. That's enough room if you ask me. Should he be given 5 minutes to play a solo on every track he's in?

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: May 27, 2011 23:12

Imo, lead on that one...

[url=

][/url]

Date: May 27, 2011 23:29

<I can say that not even 0,0001 percent of Keith's licks in there reminds me of Taylor.> <DP>

I disagree. IMO Keith and Mick T are closer than kissing cousins here.
We need a Score and make a melodic analysis.winking smiley

The last thing I want to state is that Keith is trying to copy Taylor.
It happened spontaneously, and its's Keith who deserves the medal.
My initial question was how it would have sounded when Taylor's slide would have gone troughout the song as he starts very promising, and it's a pity he vanished.

It Would be great if we got 2 versions.

Date: May 27, 2011 23:37

Amsterdamned
<I can say that not even 0,0001 percent of Keith's licks in there reminds me of Taylor.> <DP>

My initial question was how it would have sounded when Taylor's slide would have gone troughout the song as he starts very promising, and it's a pity he vanished.

Madness, imo. Keith took on the role, but sounded nowhere near Taylor. Medal? Keith have played like this on lots of songs.

Taylor on lead throughout? Would have been cool, but imo even cooler if they traded licks like a rock´n´roll band should do.

My favourite is Moonlight Mile, if I haven´t mentioned it already (to stick to the thread topic).

Date: May 27, 2011 23:44

DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned

Madness, imo. Keith took on the role, but sounded nowhere near Taylor. Medal? Keith have played like this on lots of songs.

Well, I'm curious, because I don't know those songs. So please name them. Thát seems a fair question to me.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: May 27, 2011 23:46

'Love in Vain' from LivR Than You'll Ever Be, Oakland '69. Mick J: "Oh, got right carried away with it!"

'Dead Flowers' from London Roundhouse '70. MT pulled out all the stops - nearly one continuous solo after the second verse. Completely irresponsible and absolutely great.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-27 23:47 by scaffer.

Date: May 28, 2011 00:03

DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned

Taylor on lead throughout? Would have been cool, but imo even cooler if they traded licks like a rock´n´roll band should do.

My favourite is Moonlight Mile, if I haven´t mentioned it already (to stick to the thread topic).

A Rock & Roll band should do whatever they like to improve a song.
Too many traditional and castrating rules kill creativity, as 80% of the Wood era proves. Just my opinion.

Keith deserved a lot of medals if that answer satisfies you more?

But You're right, lets stick to the thread topic: my favourite is SftD, GYYYO!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-28 00:27 by Amsterdamned.

Date: May 28, 2011 00:33

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned

Well, I'm curious, because I don't know those songs. So please name them. Thát seems a fair question to me.

Oh yes you do. Here´s a lovely collection from all eras:

Winning Ugly (Some of the licks are even recycled on DW)
Bitch
Carol (First album)
When The Whip Comes Down (Live 81)
She Said Yeah
HTW
Let Me Go (especially live in 81)
Luxury
Slave (for even more licks, check out the Virgin release)
I Just Wanna Make Love To You (first album)
Around And Around (Love You Live)
Fight
Fancyman Blues
Fingerprint File
Star Star
Sympathy For The Devil (live TOTA)

This list could easily be doubled or tripled.

For an entire night of this kind of playing, check out the Checkerboard Lounge show with Muddy from 81. Keith is taking on solos all night. Great show.

I thought the Taylorites were more concerned with tone and vibrato than the tempo. Seemingly, you are mistaking Keith´s fast playing for copying Taylor. Remember my video "Keith´s fastest moments" here earlier. He can do it if he wants do. He always could. Some of his fastest solos are from the debut album.

Date: May 28, 2011 00:59

I thought the Taylorites were more concerned with tone and vibrato than the tempo. Seemingly, you are mistaking Keith´s fast playing for copying Taylor. Remember my video "Keith´s fastest moments" here earlier. He can do it if he wants do. He always could. Some of his fastest solos are from the debut album. <DP>

I'am not concerned about his tempo, if you include me as a Taylorite in your respond to Kleermaker.
Melodic approach, that's what's it's all about ( on S&C in comparison with KR),
and Mick's melodic approach (and tone and vibrato indeed) as a guitarist in general.

Fast playing is no issue when it comes to Taylor, Wood, Richards or Jones.
They are all Turtles for that matter.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-28 01:08 by Amsterdamned.

Date: May 28, 2011 01:21

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned

Oh yes you do. Here´s a lovely collection from all eras:

Winning Ugly (Some of the licks are even recycled on DW)
Bitch
Carol (First album)
When The Whip Comes Down (Live 81)
She Said Yeah
HTW
Let Me Go (especially live in 81)
Luxury
Slave (for even more licks, check out the Virgin release)
I Just Wanna Make Love To You (first album)
Around And Around (Love You Live)
Fight
Fancyman Blues
Fingerprint File
Star Star
Sympathy For The Devil (live TOTA)

This list could easily be doubled or tripled.

For an entire night of this kind of playing, check out the Checkerboard Lounge show with Muddy from 81. Keith is taking on solos all night. Great show.

I thought the Taylorites were more concerned with tone and vibrato than the tempo. Seemingly, you are mistaking Keith´s fast playing for copying Taylor. Remember my video "Keith´s fastest moments" here earlier. He can do it if he wants do. He always could. Some of his fastest solos are from the debut album.

Of course it's not about being fast, though Keith never was that fast. But that's not the issue here. I know quite some examples you gave (not all of them, but enough). They are all totally different from this guitar part we're talking about. None of them is Tayloreske in any way to my ears. But the S&C soloing is.

Posted by: MTWEMISSYOU ()
Date: May 28, 2011 02:58

What about "Fly Tomorrow" off of Blues from Laural Canyon. I always thought that was one of Mick's best solos."Mr. Censor Man' and "Parchman Farm" with Mayall are exceptional because of Taylor's solos, check them out. The live version of "Started walking" is a must for any fan. Also my favorite Stones solo has to be "Traveling Man".(Because I love bootlegs) "Dance little sister" also has such a great sound and feel to it. My favorite live Stones is "I'm free" from Oakland 69. Here is my favorite Taylor moments in order:

1. Get yer ya yas out. All of it!
2. w/ Mayall- Started walking, Parchmen Farm, Fly Tomorrow, Knockers step forward, Hide and Seek, Mr. Censor Man, Vacation
3. 1979 solo album. Spanish and A minor is a masterpiece of expression.
4. Live Stones- Satisfaction 69, Love in Vain 72

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: May 28, 2011 04:50

Why do you people think that Jagger has no influence, you think they only do what Kieth wants, if its a Jagger song and he wants a long solo, then he is going to have one, he doesnt have to ask Richards permission. Its clear that Taylor and Jagger had a connection and Jagger knew how to use Taylors talents better than Richards.

Date: May 28, 2011 15:05

Its clear that Taylor and Jagger had a connection and Jagger knew how to use Taylors talents better than Richards. <lapaz62>

Seems obvious to me.

100 years ago is one my list too, and frankly I don't miss Keith guitar for one second on the live version (there's only one?), as the band sounds really massive, and Keith is hardly audible. Same for the studio version, where he's on bass though.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: May 28, 2011 16:14

mickscarey
why should I check a site when I have the bloody CD?

You must have the two-disc "2 Hot for Snakes Plus" CD reissue, which compiles a second disc of studio tracks from various Olsen/Taylor projects, among them Ring of Truth. It was not on the original CD.

Date: May 28, 2011 16:21

kleermaker
His Majesty
kleermaker

But... he didn't.

So ... he didn't.

Nothing Mick Taylor played is better than Keith's guitar work on the studio version of Gimmie Shelter. It is the majestic, crowning glory of The Rolling Stones musical output, in the studio or live.

Even after that, Keith came up with many fine guitar parts and songs, he had nothing to worry about. Jagger and Taylor did make for an interesting team, but musically most of the best stuff came via the guy who came up with the essentials for the masterpiece Gimme Shelter.

Date: May 28, 2011 16:36

Crying about Keith supposedly trying to play like Taylor on an album filler is funny though. smiling bouncing smiley

Everything i've said is IMO of course, like everything in this thread. grinning smiley

Date: May 28, 2011 16:51

His Majesty
kleermaker
His Majesty
kleermaker

But... he didn't.

So ... he didn't.

Nothing Mick Taylor played is better than Keith's guitar work on the studio version of Gimmie Shelter. It is the majestic, crowning glory of The Rolling Stones musical output, in the studio or live.

Even after that, Keith came up with many fine guitar parts and songs, he had nothing to worry about. Jagger and Taylor did make for an interesting team, but musically most of the best stuff came via the guy who came up with the essentials for the masterpiece Gimme Shelter.

The guitar work on GS studio is especially good in the beginning of the song, for the rest it's not interesting after a couple of listenings. I myself prefer the live versions. But we all know that studio work is just cut and paste, it's artificial, especially the way Jagger and Richards did it, spending days and weeks in the studio, overdubbing this and that, removing that and this. Generally I prefer live music, just like in classical music. It's natural and pure.
Yesterday I listened to John Mayall's Blues from Laurel Canyon. Well, he knew how to use the young Taylor! And he recorded it all in almost no time. Pure! The Stones, especially Richards, underused Taylor's talents scandalously. Except on stage.
Btw: I'm not surprised that Brian lost his interest in the guitar: no room to play, except some slide (the famous No Expectation part). For the rest: only his sitar on Paint It Black comes to mind. As for the guitar of course. That's about it.

Date: May 28, 2011 17:06

Btw: I'm not surprised that Brian lost his interest in the guitar: no room to play, except some slide (the famous No Expectation part). For the rest: only his sitar on Paint It Black comes to mind. As for the guitar of course. That's about it. <Kleermaker>

Imo that was his own responsibility.
When I'am in a band and get no room to play, either I leave or I have a "chat" with the person that ruins my input.

Date: May 28, 2011 17:15

Brian kinda moved away from playing guitar because he was more in to sounds than the instruments themselves. There's more to Brians guitar playing than just No Expectations, but you are probably trying to wind me up there so I'll leave you alone with your silly game playing.

Studio work can be just like painting, or making a film. A creative form in itself and obviously a very popular way of experiencing music.

I thought you'd left here anyway? Seems you only come back to moan about something every few days.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: May 28, 2011 17:15

Crying about Keith supposedly trying to play like Taylor on an album filler is funny though

thumbs up

Date: May 28, 2011 17:50

His Majesty
Brian kinda moved away from playing guitar because he was more in to sounds than the instruments themselves. There's more to Brians guitar playing than just No Expectations, but you are probably trying to wind me up there so I'll leave you alone with your silly game playing.

Studio work can be just like painting, or making a film. A creative form in itself and obviously a very popular way of experiencing music.

I thought you'd left here anyway? Seems you only come back to moan about something every few days.

It seems I hurt your feelings, but I only told the truth here. I know that's not popular, but so what? See it this way: the moment Keith started to 'write' songs (this means: delivering riffs and rough ideas for songs), he began to put Brian aside. Mick, wanting to be the unrivalled star and frontman of the band and knowing how popular Brian was, didn't have much affinity with Brian anyway, so he chose Keith's side, also being his songwriting/credit mate. Then Brian moved away to other instruments until he finally was moved away himself. Then they got Taylor, knowing very well how good and melodic he was. Big problem for Keith, but not so much for Jagger. So we see a very short list with excellent Taylor contributions on studio albums, mainly in cooperation with Jagger. On stage Keith couldn't prevent Taylor from playing, though he tried, as we can see, lips reading, on L&G for instance. Taylor got even more room in 1973, undoubtedly supported by Jagger, but not welcomed by Keith. Then 1974 came and Taylor was marginalized more and more. So he finally pulled the right conclusion and left the band, ending its glorious history on stage. Too bad, but the band was already 'out of time' anyway, forced to 'reinvent' itself by the punk and disco movement and 'reinventing' itself by copying the disco and punk style on Some Girls and becoming an act for the big masses, apt for full stadium shows, no longer relevant in a societal or musical way. That's what happened in a nutshell. Don't blame me, the messenger, for it. It's not my fault.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: May 28, 2011 18:13

kleermaker

It seems I hurt your feelings, but I only told the truth here. I know that's not popular, but so what? See it this way: the moment Keith started to 'write' songs (this means: delivering riffs and rough ideas for songs), he began to put Brian aside. Mick, wanting to be the unrivalled star and frontman of the band and knowing how popular Brian was, didn't have much affinity with Brian anyway, so he chose Keith's side, also being his songwriting/credit mate. Then Brian moved away to other instruments until he finally was moved away himself. Then they got Taylor, knowing very well how good and melodic he was. Big problem for Keith, but not so much for Jagger. So we see a very short list with excellent Taylor contributions on studio albums, mainly in cooperation with Jagger. On stage Keith couldn't prevent Taylor from playing, though he tried, as we can see, lips reading, on L&G for instance. Taylor got even more room in 1973, undoubtedly supported by Jagger, but not welcomed by Keith. Then 1974 came and Taylor was marginalized more and more. So he finally pulled the right conclusion and left the band, ending its glorious history on stage. Too bad, but the band was already 'out of time' anyway, forced to 'reinvent' itself by the punk and disco movement and 'reinventing' itself by copying the disco and punk style on Some Girls and becoming an act for the big masses, apt for full stadium shows, no longer relevant in a societal or musical way. That's what happened in a nutshell. Don't blame me, the messenger, for it. It's not my fault.

Date: May 28, 2011 18:23

No you haven't hurt my feelings and the truth as you call it is only your opinion.

My comment about Brian and sonds is based on quotes by the man himself.

Beat Instrumental, November 1964:

”Though Keith takes the Chuck Berry-style leads with the Rolling Stones, I like getting unusual sounds from my guitar.
It´s much more important to me than just knowing a sequence of different chords. I use steel guitar a lot and people seem surprised that I use the conventional tuning for it.
Favourite musicians? Well, Django Reinhardt for sure – not that I`d ever try to model myself on him. Then there´s Elmore James, who´s a beautiful player. I like

Robert Johnson, too. But there are two players with Muddy Waters who I dig a lot –
Pat Hare and someone called Jimmy Rodgers, who is NOT to be confused with the folk singer of the same name.

To be honest, I prefer playing harmonica to guitar. It´s that SOUND business all over again – I just like getting soulful sounds, without worrying about simple sequences of notes. And harmonica is great, from my point of view.”

Creating music within the context of a group can be hard work because there are ego's, differing tastes etc involved, but the best strongest ideas should be the ones the group go with and I think that is what mostly happened with the stones.

Brian had a great motif/riff for The Last Time, Keith had a killer riff for Satisfaction, Nicky Hopkins had the ace We Love You piano part etc etc... in other words when folks came up with strong suggestions it appears they got taken onboard and became part of the music without much fuss.

Mick and Keith obviously had a lot of rough song ideas, I don't see much proof that others had many equally strong song ideas of their own from which the band could start to work up in to finished tracks.

Date: May 28, 2011 18:39

His Majesty
No you haven't hurt my feelings and the truth as you call it is only your opinion.

Then it's strange that you said things like

"but you are probably trying to wind me up there so I'll leave you alone with your silly game playing." and

"I thought you'd left here anyway? Seems you only come back to moan about something every few days."

Sounds to my ears as someone whose feelings got hurt. But I'm glad you say they aren't. I hope you're right, but I doubt it. I'm sorry you don't react to anything I said, only saying "your so called truth is just your opinion". But sometimes opinion and truth are one and the same.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 3 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home