Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Emotional Rescue Revisited...
Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: May 21, 2011 04:57

Emotional Rescue was not supposed to be a major Stones album - more of a piss-take than anything else - similar to Some Girls but clearly not as good. The only keeper is "She's So Cold" imo.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 21, 2011 05:06

ER is probably my second favourite album after Exile.

Send It To Me and Summer Romance are great tongue-in-the-cheek songs and Down In The Hole and All About You are what's left after the big one, apart from Keith himself and the cockroaches.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: May 21, 2011 14:54

I really liked "Let Me Go" I know it's not some type of classic or anything, just thought it had a cool vibe.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 21, 2011 15:49

It got one of the Stones greatest song "Down In The Hole" the baddest "Lies" so I have Mixed Emotions about this record

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 21, 2011 16:10

"Emotional Rescue"......what's not to like, apart from Indian Girl? Where The Boys Go. Down In The Hole" and "Dance" - those tracks are truely terrific, and the rest of the record is a real treat, as well

I think the main-reason for people disliking this album, is that the tracks aren't compiled in a sensible order - listening to "Emotional Rescue" in it's entirely is not like listening to other 70s/early 80s RS albums - with an opening chapter and a conclusion/ending-chapter
Maybe Emotional Rescue is only really appreciated among as "hardcores", just like "Undercover".

I'm always amazed when visiting 2nd hand stores.....they have no RS albums, apart from 3 copies of Emotional Rescue and 10 copies of Undercover.
Anybody else noticed this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-21 16:11 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: May 21, 2011 16:33

I love All about you and Dance is pretty good but overall a bit dissapointing, not a terrible record but after the classic Some Girls I expected better.

Date: May 21, 2011 16:48

"but after the classic Some Girls I expected better."

That's the trouble with making excellent records or writing terrific books. Once one have made a milestone - people are disappointed with the follow-upper.

Both Goats Head Soup and Emotional Rescue would have had totally different statuses, if not for Exile and Some Girls, I think.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 21, 2011 16:51

Erik_Snow
"Emotional Rescue"......what's not to like, apart from Indian Girl? Where The Boys Go. Down In The Hole" and "Dance" - those tracks are truely terrific, and the rest of the record is a real treat, as well

I think the main-reason for people disliking this album, is that the tracks aren't compiled in a sensible order -

It is very interesting you should mention this about the track order. I like a lot of the tunes on Emotional Rescue but the running order of the album to me does not seem coherent. I speculate that if the running order was re-schuffled, this album may have been better received. Related to this, at the time that Keith was working on the Dirty Work album, he relays to Bill German in his book "Under Their Thumb" (pg. 84) that albums "can be made or broken based on the order of songs." To me this really makes sense. I've often thought that also applies to Goats Head Soup which IMHO starts the album off with one of the weakest openers of an album- Dancing with Mr. D.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: May 21, 2011 16:59

Not a heavy album by any stretch, but a lot of fun. "Dance" and "Let Me Go" are among my all-time favorite Stones tunes. I'm a little burnt on "She's So Cold" from radio exposure, though. The title track and "Send It To Me" are worth it just for the comedic value. "Indian Girl", too.

The only song on the album I can't stand is "Where The Boys Go" - especially those female back-up vox at the end. What the hell was this - some sort of faux-punk Grease?

Date: May 21, 2011 17:06

Sighunt
I speculate that if the running order was re-schuffled, this album may have been better received.

Indeed, that was my point.

And you might be correct about mr. D spoiling Goats Head Soup, never thought about that - as I DO like the song, despite of the cliché lyrics.

Then again, no matter which song they'd open GHS with; people would be "unrightously disappointed" as the style/mood is completely different from EOMS. Maybe a finished version of "Save Me" would have been the best option....

Can't recall where I read it; but somewhere I read that GHS was an excellent "night cap" on Exile. Good choice of words!

Date: May 21, 2011 17:08

JuanTCB
The only song on the album I can't stand is "Where The Boys Go" - especially those female back-up vox at the end. What the hell was this - some sort of faux-punk Grease?

Strange that so many people on this board hate this one. Not just strange......but bizarre. To me, "Where The Boys Go" are among the best 5 songs (at least) of the last 32 years

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 21, 2011 17:15

Stones should never have tried out punk in the first place. They were to old to begin with and it didn't come across as authentic at the time.

Date: May 21, 2011 17:22

Stoneage
and it didn't come across as authentic at the time.

Maybe. But in retrospect, one can enjoy the music/songs created - without thinking about whatever stupid and fake "outlaw rules" the young UK fellow thought was cool in the late 70s. It was mainly a fashion to the "common guy" allthough Sex Pistols were dead serious

and to me - "Where the boys go" - is an excellent rocker, in either case.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 21, 2011 17:25

Sure you can, Erik. I won't take that pleasure away from you!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 21, 2011 17:53

talking about revisiting Emotional Rescue where in the tracklisting would you insert "Claudine"?

Imho it would fit between "Indian Girl" & "Where the Boys Go".

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 21, 2011 21:19

dcba [Imho it would fit between "Indian Girl" & "Where the Boys Go".[/quote]

That made me think about albums. Not CDs. These albums were sequenced as two sides. Indian Girl and All About You are meant to be the mellow ends of two separate rocking sides. It's a shame that those lines are now blurred. I still think of Tattoo You as the 'new' side, and the 'old' side. I still have a hard time listening to Sgt. Pepper without mentally stopping it after The Benefit of Mr. Kite. Within and Without You is supposed to be Part Two of the trip. It's a shame that new technology essentially destroyed the art of album making. The Stones made those later albums with so much energy per side. We weren't meant to rush through 12 songs back to back. Another album I can't think of as one continual CD is Led Zeppelin's debut. Each side was it's own ascending drama. We can recreate the experience on our own, but it's a shame a newer audience won't be able to appreciate how these works of art were meant to be heard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-23 23:54 by 24FPS.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 22, 2011 00:03

nice one 24FPS thumbs up

Posted by: Pokalheld ()
Date: May 22, 2011 00:09

flacnvinyl
Also one of the BEST SOUNDING Stones albums. Perfect sound mix.
Interesting. I like the songs of the album. Especially Dance, the title track, Down In The Hole, Let Me Go, She's So Cold and All About You. Great mixture of Rock, Blues, contemporary Pop and outlaw ballads. But the sound is too thin for me. No comparison to Tattoo You or Black and Blue.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 22, 2011 00:11

DandelionPowderman
ab
Emotional Rescue was the first album that made me feel embarrassed to be a Rolling Stones fan. It was a stinking turd then, and smells no better today. The rockers are warmed over Some Girls. Very little of the rest measures up. The title track and Indian Girl stand out as being among the most cringe-worthy things they ever did.

It's no wonder Jagger didn't want to do much to promote it after its release beyond saying essentially, "it's out. Buy it." The worthy material on this album could have fit on a 12" single of Dance, i.e., both parts of Dance. You can have the rest of it.

Would be interesting to know why you don´t appreciate Down In The Hole.

Not a fan of Jagger's self-parody of a vocal. Down in the Hole could have been epic, but they didn't work on it enough.

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: May 22, 2011 15:37

'Dance' & 'All About You' are the only songs I like from it. The opening and closing funily enough.
'She's So Cold' always makes me think of that Simpsons episode Mick & Keith were in - 'Everybody's naughty and freeze frame!'

Date: May 22, 2011 15:47

ab
DandelionPowderman
ab
Emotional Rescue was the first album that made me feel embarrassed to be a Rolling Stones fan. It was a stinking turd then, and smells no better today. The rockers are warmed over Some Girls. Very little of the rest measures up. The title track and Indian Girl stand out as being among the most cringe-worthy things they ever did.

It's no wonder Jagger didn't want to do much to promote it after its release beyond saying essentially, "it's out. Buy it." The worthy material on this album could have fit on a 12" single of Dance, i.e., both parts of Dance. You can have the rest of it.

Not a fan of Jagger's self-parody of a vocal. Down in the Hole could have been epic, but they didn't work on it enough.

For me, the vocals are brilliant. Jagger and self-parody/over the top-singing? Well, that goes hand in hand from Going Home thru Fingerprint File to Watching The River Flow. There is no way around that, it´s his style. Don´t think it´s that prominent in Down In The Hole, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-22 15:48 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: May 22, 2011 15:49

I agree with a review I read some time ago that referred to it as a "bafflingly lame follow-up to Some Girls."

However, ER is by a long shot the funniest Stones album ever, and therefore has a charm that puts it far above such distinctly un-funny albums as Undercover and DW.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 22, 2011 16:21

Some people say they don't like Emotional Rescue or Dirty Work. I find these people are older and are hung-up in the Brian Jone or Mick Taylor era and dismessed these albums are a glance. They are both great albums. In fact tow of my fvorites. You need to play them a while and give them a chance. Revisiting Stones albums gives you a better appreciation for them. They do age very well like fine wine. Give'm some spins, maybe you see what you're missing. They are great! Another thing about these album I like so much is that they are albums in the truest sense of the word. All of the songs fit together weell and have charastics that make them fit well. Other albums like Sticky Fingers and Black and Blue have great songs but sound like a buch of songs not like an album to me. Responsible comment appreciated. Yeah, Emotional Rescue....send it to me! ExileStones

Date: May 22, 2011 20:52

i like the album minus the 2 really cheesy/bad tunes

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 23, 2011 01:07

summer romance....the summer rocker the b boys ...was to nice to wrote...this album is drowned and soak wet....in mid life crisis r&r despair and drugged punk energy....full of deeper meanings about dreams and lies and the best dixco tune....with lyrics that made many people laugh.....some saw it was a sad song....er is magic
send it to me
all about
cold
let me go
down
indian is so wonderfull....and real
this album is about a feeling
most will never like it
laugh at it
its the last punk album

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 23, 2011 06:41

DandelionPowderman
ab
DandelionPowderman
ab

For me, the vocals are brilliant. Jagger and self-parody/over the top-singing? Well, that goes hand in hand from Going Home thru Fingerprint File to Watching The River Flow. There is no way around that, it´s his style. Don´t think it´s that prominent in Down In The Hole, though.

I agree...DITH is an excellent vocal.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 23, 2011 06:44

exilestones
Some people say they don't like Emotional Rescue or Dirty Work. I find these people are older and are hung-up in the Brian Jone or Mick Taylor era and dismessed these albums are a glance. They are both great albums. In fact tow of my fvorites. You need to play them a while and give them a chance. Revisiting Stones albums gives you a better appreciation for them. They do age very well like fine wine. Give'm some spins, maybe you see what you're missing. They are great! Another thing about these album I like so much is that they are albums in the truest sense of the word. All of the songs fit together weell and have charastics that make them fit well. Other albums like Sticky Fingers and Black and Blue have great songs but sound like a buch of songs not like an album to me. Responsible comment appreciated. Yeah, Emotional Rescue....send it to me! ExileStones

I think it is queer that you think that Sticky Fingers, or even Black and Blue lack a sense of cohesiveness. While I like Emotional Rescue, I think that it's lack of cohesiveness is the issue with it fairing less well in reviews.

As far as Dirty Work goes, I don't think I could muster a responsible comment.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 23, 2011 21:18

exilestones

Good point about the older fans "hung-up in the Brian Jone or Mick Taylor era" -
you could also say that about certain critics at the time.
I was about 13 in the summer of 80 and this was the first Stones album I waited for as a fan. For that reason alone, its epic. It wasn't supposed to be musically epic ....its a marking time album - seems random and loose, but that's why I like it. Its one of my favorites because of its laidbackness.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 24, 2011 00:19

You all are funny. Do you remember Their Satanic Magesties Request? Seriously...? Comments about the lyrics taking a turn for the worse, so forth... Go back and Listen to Magesties. Tell me that On With The Show, Sing This Song All Together, In Another Land, The Lantern, and Gomper don't suck... I love Citadel and 2000 Light Years, but those two tracks don't salvage the rest of the album...

Dance, Summer Romance, Let Me Go, Emotional Rescue, She's So Cold... Those are the standout tracks for sure. But even the other tracks are better than 70% of whats on Satanic Magesties.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: May 24, 2011 13:14

flacnvinyl
Tell me that On With The Show, Sing This Song All Together, In Another Land, The Lantern, and Gomper don't suck... I love Citadel and 2000 Light Years, but those two tracks don't salvage the rest of the album...
The Lantern and In Another Land don't suck. Is that good enough for you?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1876
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home