Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Can anyone really say a sideproject is better......
Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: May 24, 2011 11:17

than this? Seriously anyone?

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Re: Can anyone really say a sideproject is better......
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 24, 2011 11:24

It is better than nothing ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 24, 2011 11:26

Lisa is always better than a side project, unless she is my own personal side project.

Date: May 24, 2011 11:26

Rolling Hansie
It is better than nothing ?

I don't agree! Either this or nothing!
Because the side projects isn't The Rolling Stones!

This is what I got hooked upon and I want to have it yet one more time!

So guys get back to work!

Date: May 24, 2011 11:36

crumbling_mice
Lisa is always better than a side project, unless she is my own personal side project.

I agree! But it's a different kind of sideproject you're hinting here, i guess!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 24, 2011 11:40

That is one of the strangest versions of Gimme Shelter I have ever heard them do. I mean I applaud that they are trying something different with the intro...but then to not play the classic intro lick at all, and not at all during the entire song is pointless...this is a very slow, plodding and meandering version that is only held together by Mick's vocals....It is like half the band forgot the song they were supposed to be doing.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 24, 2011 12:12

whitem8
That is one of the strangest versions of Gimme Shelter I have ever heard them do. I mean I applaud that they are trying something different with the intro...but then to not play the classic intro lick at all, and not at all during the entire song is pointless...this is a very slow, plodding and meandering version that is only held together by Mick's vocals....It is like half the band forgot the song they were supposed to be doing.
Sounds like you didn't bother to listen to the end (not that I blame you). They do play the intro riff on the outro as usual. I think this version worked well during the walk-back from the b-stage -- good background music. But the performance as a whole was lame. Lisa was no good, and she and Mick remind me of the Jagger and Bowie Dancing in the Dark Video... That Olympia '95 version posted here recently was waay better.

Date: May 24, 2011 12:42

Your right I stopped halfway through, and the fact they play the main riff at the end is even more pointless as it reminds you of what you missed for the entire song! Strange! I too like the attempt to make a different intro, and thought, "hmmm this is interesting..." and then I kept waiting for a big explosion of guitars to announce the song was really starting, but then the vocals came in and it was obvious they were just not in sync and didn't know what to do, other than noodle around and slow it all down. It could have been very interesting and a rare time where they veer away from the studio template that seems to be a sturdy map for the later day live shows to keep them all in sync.

Date: May 24, 2011 13:36

Hmmmm....!

It's very interesting to find out that my attempt to discuss wether it's more interesting with side projects than the main project, has turned into a "TRACKTALK" about Gimmie Shelter"!

So i will fall into the tracktalk but will be widening it a bit!

In my opinion the show in London 03 shows that they really decided to sound good and tight! I've been watching the videos on Youtube from the concert and I must say they are sounding good.
Despite the lack of intro guitars on GS I think they do a great version. It's suggestive and a very well "dressrehearsed" pick for heading back to the main stage!

I think this one is a great stadium concert and I still prefer these guys playing together than any sidekick project, which was my main question in this thread!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 24, 2011 14:19

Fan Since 1964
than this? Seriously anyone?

Brian and Stu turn in their grave. I'am sorry.

Date: May 24, 2011 14:21

Yes, you thread was somewhat sidetracked, mostly because you chose such a unique and strange example....I much prefer them together than on their own doing side projects. However, this version of GS, I don't think measures up to Keith's solo version with The Winos, and if I had to choose between seeing this and a Winos show with Keith in his prime, then I would choose the Winos show. BUT, for the most part the Licks Tour was a great tour and I would prefer to have seen the stones at that time than any of them solo.

Date: May 24, 2011 14:44

whitem8
Yes, you thread was somewhat sidetracked, mostly because you chose such a unique and strange example....I much prefer them together than on their own doing side projects. However, this version of GS, I don't think measures up to Keith's solo version with The Winos, and if I had to choose between seeing this and a Winos show with Keith in his prime, then I would choose the Winos show. BUT, for the most part the Licks Tour was a great tour and I would prefer to have seen the stones at that time than any of them solo.

Well, now we've put the thread on the right track again, at least somewhat.

I could have chosen any of the videos from that concert and I would stand up for any of them. I think this is probably they're some of the best examples of how tight and great the Stones actually can play together as well as the sound is really great! If I was to compare any of the GS versions I've heard I'd prefer the "Amsterdam 95 version" not that I don't like the Vinos version but the Stones are in my eyes bigger than anything else they do as sidekick projects!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 24, 2011 14:46

So great is this song, that even a weak version is still sometimes the highlight of the show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-24 14:46 by tatters.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1981
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home