Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Jamming With Edward
Posted by: MidnightPeanut ()
Date: March 24, 2015 04:52

I love this album! How many drum or bass solos do we get from Charlie and Bill? Here we get one from each...

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 24, 2015 04:58

The album did sell pretty well back on '72, it spent 12 weeks on the US chart reaching #33 and selling over 200k, not bad for a bunch of mediocre jams.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: March 24, 2015 15:17

As luck would have it, I listened to this last week as I have been playing my old pre-recorded cassettes and I never bothered to get this on CD. It's fun to listen to because you can't go wrong with Nicky Hopkins playing piano. Interesting to note that Nicky through in a bit of "The Loveliest Night Of The Year" in Seattle on June 4, 1972. Probably the best thing about the album was Mick's disclaimer that was inserted into the original vinyl release which I believe ended with "I hope you spend more time listening to it than we did making it" which by my calculations means once you've heard it twice, you have done that.

"Blow with Ry" = "Sister Morphene"?
Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: March 25, 2015 01:50

The record showcases what a great guitarist Ry Cooder is. Whatever the bad blood is between him and the Stones, I wish they'd put it aside. I'd love to hear him play with the Stones again.

Is it just me, or does anyone else hear Cooder's solo in "Sister Morphine" in "Blow With Ry" from this album?

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: March 25, 2015 04:18

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 04:49 by camper88.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 25, 2015 06:10

Thank you for waking up this old thread...twice! You rebels.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 25, 2015 14:16

One of my favorite bootlegs.. thumbs up

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: March 25, 2015 17:15

A fly-on-the-wall album.
The RS label was very young at this time and the idea of releasing that kind of stuff was not that bad.
I find it pity that they did not continue in this way.

jamming with Edward and/or Cook Cook Blues
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 17, 2021 01:49

Man what a great LP. I recall at the time I thought it was a throw-away but oh how wrong I was. I was surprised to see it on the record shelf when it came out, had no idea anything like that was being planned but I bought it right away. Took awhile to grow on me but just played it the other night and wowee zowee.

This was never released on cd with or without bonus tracks?

And Cook Cook Blues released way later and hidden away on a b side, what a great song and somehow I hear the same sort of sound on it as Jamming. Its the sound the Stones sound best with, despite Jamming not having Keef on it.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-17 01:54 by jbwelda.

Re: jamming with Edward and/or Cook Cook Blues
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 17, 2021 02:00

Jamming with Edward - see also here: [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Date: July 17, 2021 02:04

yeah I figured. Thanks

jb

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 17, 2021 04:24

I can't find Cook Cook anywhere except viny. Is it on CD? Or downloadable?

Date: July 17, 2021 04:36

I originally got it on the Rock and a Hard Place 7" but it also came on 12" format and cd single. I don't think it ever was on an LP in any format but was on a boot or two.

Which is like totally crazy. One of their best songs from latter period and its buried on the b side of a not so hot single.

If incorrect feel free to correct me.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-17 04:37 by jbwelda.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 17, 2021 05:42

I have Cook Cook Blues on a CD single along with

Rock & A Hard Place (7"),
Rock & A Hard Place (Dance Mix),
Rock & A Hard Place (Bonus Beats Mix)

I guess that makes it Steel Wheels era, so 30 years ago.....

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: July 17, 2021 05:50

CaptainCorella

I have Cook Cook Blues on a CD single

Cook Cook Blues is on CD #28 (Rock And A Hard Place) of "The Singles 1971–2006" - Wikipedia , [www.Discogs.com] . Available for download on iTunes - [Music.Apple.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-17 06:10 by Irix.

Date: July 17, 2021 06:15

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 17, 2021 16:37

I have both Jamming with Edward and Cook Cook Blues on CD. I always preferred Fancy Man Blues to this one, personally.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 17, 2021 16:51

24FPS
I can't find Cook Cook anywhere except viny. Is it on CD? Or downloadable?
Regarding 1989 B-sides there is always and option for US customers
[www.discogs.com]
For Europe one should hunt for bonus disc from Collection 1971-1991 box set.
[www.discogs.com]

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 17, 2021 17:05

That album never grew on me.

Date: July 17, 2021 19:14

oh yeah that Flashpoint + collectibles cd, I have that, had forgotten about it because I don't think I even played it, having all the "collectible" material already.

Fancy Man Blues is ok, not up to Cook Cook Blues in my view. Edit to add, just listened to Fancy Man Blues, and yep, another great hidden track.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-17 23:41 by jbwelda.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: July 17, 2021 23:23

I know that the majority of folks who listen to Jamming with Edward gravitate towards the uptempo jams like Blow With Ry, The Boudoir Stomp (which are awesome), but Jagger's rendition of It Hurts Me Too, in IMHO, is the standout cut (and probably the only reason) that I come back and listen to this LP. Although it's a little loose (like the rest of the tunes on it), I think Jagger delivers a gutty, heartfelt vocal.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-18 15:17 by Sighunt.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 18, 2021 02:53

noughties

try this one again ........................

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-18 02:54 by NICOS.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: July 18, 2021 05:29

Thanks for reminding me of this one, "Jamming With Edward".

I still have the vinyl copy that I bought in 1972, but I do not delve into the vinyl much any more.

I downloaded the mp3 off of Amazon-USA today for US$10.27, and listened to it in the car while driving around, and will give it another play tomorrow.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: July 18, 2021 07:30

Sighunt
I know that the majority of folks who listen to Jamming with Edward gravitate towards the uptempo jams like Blow With Ry (which is awesome), but Jagger's rendition of It Hurts Me Too, in IMHO, is the standout cut (and probably the only reason) that I come back and listen to this LP. Although it's a little loose (like the rest of the tunes on it), I think Jagger delivers a gutty, heartfelt vocal.

Not to mention Jagger’s inclusion of a verse from Pledging My Time.

Date: July 18, 2021 07:40

I like all of it for exactly that: its rough and ready and Nicky's piano moves it along. Very much in the Exile style.

jb

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 18, 2021 14:51

NICOS
noughties

try this one again ........................

[www.youtube.com]

-Quite listenable, but a fan`s song, nontheless.

Date: July 18, 2021 18:59

If I had wanted my post merged with this thread I probably would have done so myself. It totally disregards the connection with Cook Cook Blues and effectively hides any comments about that song in this totally unconnected thread. Sometimes these net police are just too much

jb

Date: August 16, 2021 04:49

jbwelda
oh yeah that Flashpoint + collectibles cd, I have that, had forgotten about it because I don't think I even played it, having all the "collectible" material already.

Fancy Man Blues is ok, not up to Cook Cook Blues in my view. Edit to add, just listened to Fancy Man Blues, and yep, another great hidden track.

jb

So I was listening to a burned CD over the weekend in the car of SW, and I thought it was just that album, but I'd put the 3 B-Sides and 2 Flashpoint songs on it as well. I have Fancy Man Blues, Cook Cook Blues, and Wish I'd Never Met You back to back to back, and boy that was a great 3 pack of blues!!! They really can play the blues - their own blues - when they want to!! Fancy Man is my fave of those. Have they ever played a B-Side live? That would be something!! Jump On Top of Me would be my vote for it!! Imagine if they did the song vote using all B-Sides!!! Never happen but would be cool!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 16, 2021 05:00

Fancy Man Blues, Cook Cook Blues, and Wish I'd Never Met You

Lurv those three Stones blues ....
ALL great .... Wish I'd Never a hidden gem ...

ROCKMAN

Date: August 16, 2021 05:07

Rockman
Fancy Man Blues, Cook Cook Blues, and Wish I'd Never Met You

Lurv those three Stones blues ....
ALL great .... Wish I'd Never a hidden gem ...

Yes, it was definitely better than I remembered! Hadn't heard it in many years!!! I believe it was the B-Side to Almost Hear You Sigh? And I can't open the round metal tin that it came in anymore, so this might be the only 'hard copy' I have of it.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home