Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Jamming With Edward
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 16, 2011 21:09

- Bought it, got bored, got rid of it.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 16, 2011 21:12

always remembered it in the bargain bins at the record store;

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 16, 2011 21:36

hi,
you can lend it from the library in Rotterdam, netherlands ( Muziekweb).
if you dont know how,send me a thread.
byeee Jeroen

Posted by: melvin ()
Date: May 16, 2011 22:08

I'm glad I only paid $1.00 for this lp way back when.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 17, 2011 00:36

noughties
- Bought it, got bored, got rid of it.

Hmmm...kind of what happened to me with Voodoo Lounge, Bridges To Babylon and A Bigger Bang.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 17, 2011 15:49

liddas
what a load of bullshit the story of Keith copying Ry Cooder is.

C

Not really, the Performance version of Memo From Turner tells us all we need to know. Licks were borrowed, no doubt about it, without this the Keith that Keith became in 1969 onwards would have been a bit different.

Tracks like Sway, Stop Breaking Down etc show that the Rolling Stones sound could be there if they wanted it to be whether Keith played on the track or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-17 15:54 by His Majesty.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 17, 2011 16:52

His Majesty

Not really, the Performance version of Memo From Turner tells us all we need to know. Licks were borrowed, no doubt about it, without this the Keith that Keith became in 1969 onwards would have been a bit different.

This is exactly my point: (almost) same licks - completely different music!

His Majesty

Tracks like Sway, Stop Breaking Down etc show that the Rolling Stones sound could be there if they wanted it to be whether Keith played on the track or not.

The tone is one of the defining qualities of a guitarist. Jagger might have played the guitar, but I am quite sure that it was Keith's set up, and that Keith was allowed to say a couple of words re the sound. Why do I say so? Mere speculation + the fact that there is not one single solo number by jagger with a similar tone.

Plus, the context is important. Make a playlist of Stones songs without Keith, (or with Keith on vocals) and compare it to a 100% stones album. The differences are more apparent than when one song is in the context of an album with keith (or jagger) all around the place

That said, there are plenty of not great Stones songs with Keith on board, so I do not want to say that with Keith quality is assured. Jammin is great as it is. Only Ry instead of Keith is enough to make it different from a Stones work.

Don't know if the above makes any sense!

C

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 17, 2011 16:57

Amsterdamned
Great.>grinning smiley<

Outstanding bass from the Perksmaster.

Date: May 17, 2011 17:39

liddas
His Majesty

This is exactly my point: (almost) same licks - completely different music!

The Performance Memo From Turner is one of the best things The Rolling Stones never did, it's up there with Gimme Shelter imo. grinning smiley

Keith was, lets says 75% - 80%? towards being the open G Keith already before Ry's influence affected things, but without Ry's influence I think we would only have had Country Honk and not Honky Tonk Woman the single etc.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: May 17, 2011 17:48

I think it was just sort of a thank you to Ry Cooder for teaching Keith how to play 5 string

Date: May 17, 2011 18:00

His Majesty
Keith was, lets says 75% - 80%? towards being the open G Keith already before Ry's influence affected things, but without Ry's influence I think we would only have had Country Honk and not Honky Tonk Woman the single etc.

I think that with all the chops Keith put together in Under my Thumb (the outro) Connection, Miss Amanda Jones, and, above all Sing This All Together part II (the most underrated gem!) we could have had a pretty tough Honky Tonk Woman all the same. Maybe in standard tuning, who knows. But it was all already there!

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-17 18:05 by liddas.

Date: May 17, 2011 18:04

His Majesty

The Performance Memo From Turner is one of the best things The Rolling Stones never did, it's up there with Gimme Shelter imo. grinning smiley

Depends on the day. And the weather. And the beer or vodka.

BUT there are times I rate the metamorphosis version higher than the Performance one ....

C

Date: May 17, 2011 18:27

liddas
knows. But it was all already there!

Most, but not all. thumbs up

Posted by: donteverstop ()
Date: May 17, 2011 18:43

Koen
A fun album, great to play loud when cleaning the house.

Yes, well said.

Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: May 17, 2011 19:26

Strange how some people often forget to remember this statement published in music pappers in time when Edvard released.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 17, 2011 21:55

This disclaimer came with every album purchased....even the CDs in the '90s...well my one at least.....

Howdy doody whoever receives this record. Here's a nice lttle piece of bullshit about this hot waxing which we cut one night in London, England while waitng for our guitar player to get out of bed. It was promptly forgotten (which may have been for the better) until it was unearthed from the vaults by those two impressive entrepreneurs - Glyn Johns and Marshall Chess. It was they who convinced the artists that this historic jam of the giants should be unleashed on an unsuspecting public. As it cost about $2.98 to make the record, we thought that $3.98 was appropriate for the fininshed product. I think that that is about what it is worth. No doubt some stores may even give it away.The album consists of the Rolling Stones' rhythm section; plus solos from two instrumentalists - Nicky 'Woof Woof' Hopkins and Ry Cooder: plus the numbled bathroom mumblings of myself, I hope you spend more time listening to this record than we did making it....yours faithfully ...Mick Jagger

I know this is in the article posted above...so here for those with not so good eyesight

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-17 21:56 by EddieByword.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 22, 2011 01:44

NICOS
Always loved It's Hurts Me Too.......must admit that I didn't played the record for decades

Took some time but I downloaded the album (as I don't have my turn table installed for years)

Still love the whole record..........Man!!! what was BILL great pity they didn't give him more credit

A fun album, great to play loud when cleaning the house. as Koen quoted.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 22, 2011 02:54

I think I didn't checked the thread well enough before I post my comment...........!!!!!!

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: May 26, 2011 06:22

Not a masterpiece by any means, Bill is great (as always), but Nicky needed a good song to really shine (kinda like Mick Taylor), here it's standard blues piano playing. It Hurts Me Too is good but nothing you can't hear from countless blues bands. So mostly boring to me.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 26, 2011 20:48

I remember being totally mystified when I bought it, on vinyl circa 1977 in the 'bargain bin' for something like US$2.99 when regular releases were $7.99. Got it home and could not figure out what it was. Roughly recorded jam session...kind of unfinished? But I loved it.

Maybe it was the total lack of production. I would love to hear it cleaned up a bit. I have never heard it on CD. Is the sound any cleaner?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 5, 2013 14:06

The Rolling Stones Facebook page posted this info today:

Jamming With Edward, the 1972 album featuring Nicky Hopkins, Ry Cooder, Mick Jagger, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts is out now!

[udiscover.tumblr.com]

Does anyone knows if this record was reissued?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 5, 2013 14:55

Is out now on ITunes, just saw this:

[itunes.apple.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 5, 2013 15:40

Too bad, not on US iTunes.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 5, 2013 17:49

The album is just a short snippet of all the jams recorded with Ry Cooder, with and without Ry's knowledge so to speak. The real gem is the raw material from when he visited the studio. That I suspect speaks volumes about his influence on the Let it bleed era, before and after.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: March 5, 2013 20:49

Great cd in between sticky & exile.
PLAY IT LOUD

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 5, 2013 20:54

I agree with Kish---Play it loud.

A good little blues album....A fun album to see what the Stones do on their down time!

Date: March 5, 2013 21:12

kish_stoned
Great cd in between sticky & exile.
PLAY IT LOUD

Lib and sticky.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 6, 2013 00:00

EddieByword
71Tele
Was it never released on CD? How about a deluxe edition with bonus tracks and "making of documentary". I guess it would be the shortest making-of documentary in history.

There were only 3 more tracks from this session and Downtown Suzie was on Metamorphosis

1. Downtown Suzie
2. Curtis meets Smokey
& 3. So Fine

"Only"? ... That is actually a lot considering some bonus LPs only have 1 bonus track, I would buy it. Have tracks 2 & 3 ever made bootleg release? I've never heard of them.

Posted by: chillrob ()
Date: March 24, 2015 04:29

Just found this old thread...I would also be interested in knowing where to find those two missing tracks from this session. I might have "So Fine" somewhere as the title rings a bell, but I have never heard of the other one.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 24, 2015 04:37

humanriff77
Strangely boring and forgettable considering the musicians involved

I agree and was expecting something a bit more stellar from that line up. But I guess that if they would have taken the time to pick, write and develop the tunes a bit more it would have been better.

If the Stones took as little time as it took to record this record, and basically recorded their initial jams I would expect a similar result.

peace

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1868
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home