Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

I Rejoined (circa '95) to Post This.
Posted by: paulm ()
Date: May 13, 2011 02:57

When I was in grad school in '94-'95, some very nice member here, I think he lived in Boston, sent me cassettes (remember them?) of Sydney and Brussels '73. My life was changed after that, notwithstanding already having been affected by Ya-Yas years before. (Later I found Philly Special '72, and Earl's Court '71 in record shops.) IORR message board was the first forum I engaged in online, through dial up into the school's servers, DOS environment. Man...

I've kept current with Stones news all these years, and the recent dearth of Stones activity and quietude on the tour front had me guessing that Keith's book, which I believed reveals some hurt that wasn't completely revealed in the book, has made Mick unresponsive to working together. I knew that coming to IORR, I'd find like minded souls, and it seems you've already beaten me to the punch.

Even though the public wouldn't know it through his cavalier attitude, Keith has had a rough spell, most importantly with his wife going through cancer. Any of us who has been affected by that knows how intense it is, and who is there--and not there--when the chips are down. It's an interesting time to see who one's friends really are. This might sound presumptuous, but was Mick there for Keith? I don't know, but Keith's lashing out could point to a deeper hurt like I'm describing.

On a lighter note, I've been rediscovering the golden age on Youtube, most notably clips from Ladies and Gentleman. Man, Mick Taylor. I got to see MT about 10 years ago in a small club that is now gone. When you listen to and watch songs from that area, you are hearing the stuff of legend, like listening to Bach, Jerry Reed, and anyone in that prestigious group that truly stands the test of time. And watching MJ, it's amazing someone operating at that frequency is still going strong.

I revisit other bands that are legendary, like REO with Gary Richrath. Do you feel me? Where Keith was the fire and MT the smoothness, GR was the fire and Cronin the smoothness, and without GR REO is a piece of chalk. I also dig Slash and Axl...too bad there. Beatles spells and Allman Bros. also figure. Heard Bell Bottom Blues on the radio the other day...man, magical moment, Duane and Eric. Besides all that reminiscing, for new music, country is the only place I find occasional highs, Toby Keith for example.

Anyway, digressing...glad to rediscover others who are invested spiritually in the Stones. I am happy for Patty's survival, Ronnie's escapades and radio show, Mick's new 6'4" girlfriend, Charlie and wife's horses...their lives are pretty d@mn good, and perhaps they really don't need the grind anymore. What they've been churning out isn't exactly inspiring. I almost find more enjoyment reading about their individual lives at this point. I just hope the hurt is resolved, but then, is it ever really? Maybe not totally.

Just one more thing; a few months ago, Ronnie alluded to the group meeting in London to discuss tour plans, etc. Did this meeting happen? Or was it resolved on the phone? If the meeting did happen, I would have liked to have been a fly on that wall.

Re: I Rejoined (circa '95) to Post This.
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 13, 2011 03:58

Nice post
Welcome back

I have to think that Mick was only told about KR's book
I doubt he read that thing. But there was definite hurt in there.
Hurt that old wouldn't affect today's plans in my opinion.
I think its tough to be 70 and on the road.

I remember this quote: "When you are at home you miss the road 1% of the time. When you're on the road you miss home 99% of the time." (Stewart Copeland)

Take care

Date: May 13, 2011 12:10

Munichhilton
Nice post
Welcome back

I have to think that Mick was only told about KR's book
I doubt he read that thing. But there was definite hurt in there.
Hurt that old wouldn't affect today's plans in my opinion.
I think its tough to be 70 and on the road.

I remember this quote: "When you are at home you miss the road 1% of the time. When you're on the road you miss home 99% of the time." (Stewart Copeland)

Take care

According to Keith, Mick both read it and enjoyed it.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 13, 2011 12:15

Welcome back

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: May 13, 2011 14:23

I revisit other bands that are legendary, like REO with Gary Richrath. Do you feel me? Where Keith was the fire and MT the smoothness, GR was the fire and Cronin the smoothness, and without GR REO is a piece of chalk.

No truer words have ever been spoken!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 13, 2011 21:56

Welcome back. I think there's a lot of sadness mixed in with Stones fans these days. They know the inevitable is near, the end of the band. They've been lost and ineffective in the studio for almost two decades. It's only seeing them live, or in re-releases of older material, that we can get much joy. Most of us have been so emotionally invested in the group for so long that it's hard to accept that it can't go on forever. Sure, there's some of our own youth wrapped up in that. If the Stones are almost over, what's left for most of us? Old age has no goal but...................

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: May 13, 2011 22:30

Well if long time fans are resorting to the likes of Toby Keith to get their rocks off, the Stones must surely be done!

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: May 14, 2011 16:42

lettingitbleed
Well if long time fans are resorting to the likes of Toby Keith to get their rocks off, the Stones must surely be done!

This made me laugh out loud! I knew that would get some reaction. As Good As I Once Was is a good example. (grooveshark link) Others: A Little Too Late, Who's Your Daddy?, How Do You Like Me Now? All good stuff.

Patty Loveless had a few years back that got me high, That's the Kind of Mood I'm In. Man, that chorus is giving me goose bumps, wanna hear what close harmony sounds like? Haven't heard this in about 5 years...

And I'm almost embarrassed to admit it but the Dixie Chicks first album did a lot for me. Then they imploded.

Macy Gray's I Try was good and Amy Winehouse's Rehab was interesting. Her voice is Motown--unreal. I think rock is dead; bands don't have the musical sensibility anymore, they just throw chords and sounds together in a meaningless mishmash that doesn't reach me on the core level that I need. Mostly country comes closest.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-14 17:34 by paulm.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1690
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home