Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
CYHMK on Live Licks
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 2, 2011 19:28

Yeah, I konw this collection has problems - especially "Rocks Off" - but "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" is brilliant. Just one man's opinion. A few other gems mixed in there too.

Re: CYHMK on Live Licks
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 2, 2011 19:30

...on the window....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: May 2, 2011 19:33

It really is as good a live version as they played on that tour. Mick sings very well and Charlie is on the money. Keith is fine, even if a little rough around the edges. My issue is the obviously dubbed in second guitar during the verses. Listen to the Wiltern audience recording and you'll hear Ronnie playing something different. The second guitar here sounds (to me anyway) like it's also in open G, and I doubt it is Ronnie - or Keith for that matter. My guess it is Pierre doing an overdub, countering Keith's live riffs. I am glad they chose this version, however, and not the one from MSG - which was kind of flat.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 2, 2011 19:40

Agreed, a great version, but like all these DVD's etc overdubbing gives a false sense of the performance. Talking about ovedubs, if you consider how many live albums they've done and dvds it rare that you hear anone talking of them going back into the studio to record the overdubs. I think I'v just about read most Stones related books and I can't remember ever reading anything about doing overdubs. Now is this simply cos it's just so boring they don't think it worth a mention, or they have an unwritten rule that they don't mention overdubbing, or that they don't do them and session players do them...I bet one of you either has the answer or a strong opinion on it!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 2, 2011 19:46

similar to Sway, it was one of those "be careful what you wish for" songs...kudos for trying, but....

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: May 2, 2011 22:45

It doesn't even come close to the original in my opinion - like most songs on disc two of Live Licks.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 2, 2011 23:39

crumbling_mice
Agreed, a great version, but like all these DVD's etc overdubbing gives a false sense of the performance. Talking about ovedubs, if you consider how many live albums they've done and dvds it rare that you hear anone talking of them going back into the studio to record the overdubs. I think I'v just about read most Stones related books and I can't remember ever reading anything about doing overdubs. Now is this simply cos it's just so boring they don't think it worth a mention, or they have an unwritten rule that they don't mention overdubbing, or that they don't do them and session players do them...I bet one of you either has the answer or a strong opinion on it!

All recording is a lie smiling smiley

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: May 2, 2011 23:57

Elmo Lewis
Yeah, I konw this collection has problems - especially "Rocks Off" - but "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" is brilliant. Just one man's opinion. A few other gems mixed in there too.

Worst ever stones live CD, the sound is terrible.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: May 3, 2011 01:32

I T R O C K S \m/

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: May 3, 2011 06:34

I like this album very much. Great live versions of most of the songs

What I donĀ“t like in it:
The chopped Rocks Off
The sound is a bit loud (is it compression?)

I prefer the analog recordings.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 4, 2011 11:47

It's acually pretty awfull, right? About everything is wrong about it -Keith doesn't have a clue about the riff, Wood's solo is out of tune, the fake conga's, the disco bass, Charlie's not grooving at all.

This is one of those tracks they should not have touched. Like Sway.

Mathijs

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 4, 2011 15:48

Sorry, I actually like it. cool smiley

Date: May 4, 2011 16:03

Great rhythm playing by Pierre, some nice harp from Mick and Bobby does a decent job. I've heard better versions.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 4, 2011 16:27

Elmo Lewis

Me too. Don't be sorry Elmo. F*ck the naysayers. It rocks.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: May 4, 2011 16:47

JumpingKentFlash
Elmo Lewis

Me too. Don't be sorry Elmo. F*ck the naysayers. It rocks.

i'm a naysayer - your place or mine, kent?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 4, 2011 19:20

I agree that the LL does not include one of the best takes of Knocking, that Pierre's overdub is somehow disturbing (and not necessary), I also think that if I am available to play congas on the next Stones tour for free - it can't be too difficoult to find a percussionist in flesh and bones to do the job instead of sampled sounds, THAT SAID, during the licks tour Knocking was at least decent on bad nights excellent most of the times.

Completely different feel than the original. More laid back. One has to get used to it. But its normal that songs grow with the player.

Gotta disagree with Mathijs on Darryl's job (I find it truly superb!) and on Ronnie's solo (again, most of the time superb, although always on the verge of turning into a complete trainwrek).

Then we can discuss a recording as much as we want, but I can remember the first time I heard it at the MSG (the concert that eneded up on LiveLix) and the house was blown away by the energy! Same all the other 4/5 times I saw it played.

C

Date: May 4, 2011 19:24

liddas
I agree that the LL does not include one of the best takes of Knocking, that Pierre's overdub is somehow disturbing (and not necessary), I also think that if I am available to play congas on the next Stones tour for free - it can't be too difficoult to find a percussionist in flesh and bones to do the job instead of sampled sounds, THAT SAID, during the licks tour Knocking was at least decent on bad nights excellent most of the times.C

my memory may have faded on this - but isn't the LL version of the song from the Wiltern show? if so, then jim keltner was there for this song...as the added percussionist...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 5, 2011 00:02

but we're listening to a recording of Keltner playing percussion so it is pre-recorded until they release live albums in real time, none of this is acceptable to True Fans.

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: May 5, 2011 01:26

I dont know guys..I saw em in Atlanta and Nashville on the Licks tour...i thought the song was hot..the excitement of hearing it had the crowd going crazy both times.Of course not as sleazy as the original but good enough as a in person experience.

Coming Down Again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-05 02:29 by curtisdavis.

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: May 5, 2011 01:51

Who is Pierre?

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Date: May 5, 2011 02:08

Pierre de Beauport, Keith's guitar tech and good friend (gets a co-writing credit on "Thief in the Night" and even has production and engineering credits on a few tracks), Stones conspiracy theorists believe Pierre plays in the studio and Blondie plays on stage while Keith and Ronnie pose. This runs in the face of the complaints about the poor quality of Keith and Ronnie's playing from the same folks but conspiracy theorists are fun that way.

Date: May 5, 2011 03:01

Rocky, I am no "conspiracy theorist". But how can you deny Blondie plays on stage when it's captured on VIDEO in Biggest Bang and Shine a Light?

Besides, that wasn't my point anyway. I said earlier I imagine it's either Keith or Pierre playing the second guitar on CYHMK from Live Licks because it's somebody who seems to have Keith's style down really well. And yes, I know it is overdubbed because I have the Wiltern show on a bootleg recording and the second guitar (which is Ronnie for sure) is clearly different there.

Date: May 5, 2011 03:31

I was generalizing, not just referring to your post. For me, I think Blondie mainly plays an acoustic. I would say it's possible that Pierre did the overdub, but I do tend to think fans (in general) exaggerate the extent of the contributions of either Blondie or Pierre on guitar. Your example of suggesting the overdubs on the verses are Pierre would not be the same as the belief that others have that Pierre is overdubbing Keith's entire guitar part on a particular track or that Blondie is playing Keith's riffs onstage so that Keith can pose or because he's physically unable to play. Is Blondie filling out the sound and compensating for the number of notes that used to be played by Keith and Ronnie alone? Absolutely. If he was doing more than filling out the sound, we wouldn't have the half-assed performances we had over the last tour. Is it possible Pierre does touch-up's in the studio? Sure, but I doubt it's anything other than touch-up's or fills. Again, you didn't suggest it was so sorry you took it personal.

Date: May 5, 2011 03:38

Oh no worries man, I didn't take it personally, I just thought you were honestly implying you didn't believe Blondie plays on stage with them. Agreed, I think he merely fills out the sound as you said, but on the ABB tour he was seen pretty frequently playing a Les Paul, as opposed to the acoustic he played on the Licks tour. It made me wonder sometimes if that driving rhythm in songs like "She's So Cold" was actually him and not K&R.

Like I said, no conspiracy to me about it - I think Keith and Ron utilize Blondie and Pierre more than they care to admit and it's a little frustrating they deny it even with such obvious proof.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 5, 2011 04:24

crumbling_mice

Not really the sort of thing that would be discussed in too many books, but its well enough documented and proven that almost every Stones live album (as well as the Biggest Bang DVD box set) contain substantial overdubbing as well as a lot of editing.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 5, 2011 09:51

Gazza
crumbling_mice

Not really the sort of thing that would be discussed in too many books, but its well enough documented and proven that almost every Stones live album (as well as the Biggest Bang DVD box set) contain substantial overdubbing as well as a lot of editing.

Most of the dubbing on Ya-Ya's has been identified as vocals dubs, though, right? Didn't Chris M. do substantial research as to the sources and overdubs? My recollection is that the guitars were not overdubbed very much at all on Ya-Ya's.

Also, re: the Blondie conspiracy theorists...I can only comment on what I've personally seen and heard, and for sure in 2003, January 21, in Chicago, at United Center, in the middle of Before They Make Me Run, there is a super-tasty electric guitar lick that is all Blondie Chaplin. That's about as precise as I can get as for directing anyone to the who/what/when/ if anyone wants one specific example of his electric guitar contributions.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 5, 2011 10:11

Gazza
crumbling_mice

Got Live (well, live), Ya Ya's, Love You Live and Still Life are edited, but as far as known there's no substantial overdubbing except for the lead vocals. Flashpoint is the first live album with substantial overdubbing, and live material from 2000 on are overdubbed by other guitarists than Wood and Richards.

Mathijs

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 5, 2011 15:49

StonesTod
similar to Sway, it was one of those "be careful what you wish for" songs...kudos for trying, but....

At least Mick delivers with energy instead of just wallowing his way through it.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 5, 2011 15:54

theimposter
My issue is the obviously dubbed in second guitar during the verses. Listen to the Wiltern audience recording and you'll hear Ronnie playing something different. The second guitar here sounds (to me anyway) like it's also in open G, and I doubt it is Ronnie - or Keith for that matter. My guess it is Pierre doing an overdub, countering Keith's live riffs.

Wow! I never noticed until reading this. You're right about one thing - is sure the hell isn't Ronnie. The tone completely changes. It sounds like it's from another show and they just flew it in.

Or the more obvious, an overdub by Keith or Pierre. It has the rumbly lateness of Keith more than anything.

When it gets to the chorus though it sounds to me like it's back to Ronnie. Wonder why the hell they did that. Although somewhere in it it goes back to sounding like that second verse and then one more rumble from Ronnie at the very end?

Hilarious. One more thing to dissect of the Stones.

Date: May 5, 2011 15:58

Mathijs
Gazza
crumbling_mice

Got Live (well, live), Ya Ya's, Love You Live and Still Life are edited, but as far as known there's no substantial overdubbing except for the lead vocals. Flashpoint is the first live album with substantial overdubbing, and live material from 2000 on are overdubbed by other guitarists than Wood and Richards.

Mathijs

I would call the back up vocals Keith did on LYL quite substantial.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home