Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Any Stones albums you still haven't listened to after all these years?
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 17, 2014 10:49

I'm a huge Stones fan and I've been listening to them for 20 years now, but I guess I'm a slow digester -- I still have a couple of records I haven't really listened to:

- Steel Wheels (I've only heard the singles, basically)
- Still Life (heard it once without paying much attention)
- Dirty Work (twice, and cannot remember half of it)
- No Security (heard a few songs)
- Love You Live (about three times)

In contrast, I've heard Beggars Banquet maybe 50 times. Even some bootlegs, like Brussels Affair, I've heard dozens of times.

What about you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-17 12:24 by LieB.

Re: Any Stones albums you still haven't listened to after all these years?
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 17, 2014 10:58

More Hot Rocks..original package on vinyl..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 17, 2014 11:05

The new studio album - overdue since a couple of years .... winking smiley

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: September 17, 2014 11:52

Cool thread and nice idea! I was ashamed to ask this myself!>grinning smiley<

I never "really" listend to Dirty Work, Bridges to Babylon and Undercover ... The same goes for ER until last summer! I "discovered" Where the Boys go, what a great track, and this changed my mind concerning ER! Cool Rockers on it ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-17 13:51 by muenke.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 17, 2014 12:17

The early big hits compilations - is it worth getting these after all this time when I already have all the tracks elsewhere?

High Tide & Green Grass
Through the Past Darkly
Hot Rocks

- and December's Children.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 17, 2014 12:21

I very rarely listen to

-No Security
-Steel Wheels
-A Bigger Bang
-Dirty Work
-RnR Circus

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 17, 2014 12:50

A Bigger Bang
Voodoo Lounge
Bridges To Babylon
Still Life
No Security
Dirty Work
Got Live If You Want It

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 17, 2014 14:05

Green Lady

The early big hits compilations - is it worth getting these after all this time when I already have all the tracks elsewhere?

Maybe one reason for 'High Tide & Green Grass':

"In August 2002, this US edition of Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass) was reissued in a new remastered CD and SACD digipak by ABKCO Records.

The re-release contains stereo mixes of '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction', 'Time Is on My Side', 'It's All Over Now", and 'Heart of Stone'.
" - [Wikipedia].

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 17, 2014 14:18

LieB
I'm a huge Stones fan and I've been listening to them for 20 years now, but I guess I'm a slow digester -- I still have a couple of records I haven't really listened to:

In contrast, I've heard Beggars Banquet maybe 50 times. Even some bootlegs, like Brussels Affair, I've heard dozens of times.

What about you?

You're not missing much if you never hear those five albums again.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 17, 2014 14:19

Father Ted
LieB

What about you?

You're not missing much if you never hear those five albums again.

If it wasn't for The Intro and Under my thumb on Still Life no...cool smiley

Posted by: PSG ()
Date: September 17, 2014 15:33

Well I think Love You Live is worth it…..if not only for side 3?….from the El Mocambo.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 17, 2014 17:37

We had this discussion in a seperate thread, but "Love You Live" IS a killer set of records.

Nothing redundant on it!!

Do give it several spins.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: September 17, 2014 18:19

Between the Buttons...

yeard ago after I'd moved on to collecting bootlegs of unreleased studio songs, I realized that Between the Buttons still had a few songs that I did not own in any form and decided to keep it that way (though Mick thwarted my efforts to keep one of these songs out there, when I heard them to She Smiled Sweetly at Roseland).

Rather than add it to my collection, I decided to wait until some day when the Stones are no more and then there will still nbe one more "new" album i can buy.

I've (jokingly?) told my kids, if I die before i get around to buying it, to play it at my funeral for me!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 17, 2014 18:40

none that I haven't listened to, but the pre-65 albums are certainly under-rotated.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 17, 2014 18:44

December's Children
12 x 5

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 17, 2014 18:49

I don't own (yet) Grrr Deluxe with the "BONUS CD OF PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED FIRST EVER STUDIO RECORDINGS" and the "PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED 7” VINYL BBC RADIO SESSION EP" and Charlie is My darling.

C

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 17, 2014 18:51

I've listened to every scrap I can find. Ones that I never listen to now are Satanic Majesties, Emotional Rescue, Undercover, Dirty Work, all 3 Post-Wyman albums, and all Live Albums except Ya Yas, and Brussells. That doesn't mean I don't cherry pick singles off the ones mentioned, and side 3 of Love You Live.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 17, 2014 18:57

I go through the studio albums frequently.

Some bootlegs are the ones that I'll not give a listen to for ages. Usually because of their poor audio.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 17, 2014 20:18

I still listen to Satanic Majesties. When I was at uni, it was an album I, and my friends, used to get stoned to.

Undercover gets an airing from time to time, as I can remember watching the uncensored video on The Tube, a great music programme from the 80s, and finding the title track seriously funky.

Steel Wheels: I only listen to three tracks on my IPOD, i.e. Mixed Emotions, Continental Drift, and Slipping Away.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 17, 2014 23:02

I listen them from a 1000 times to 10 times I think Love You Live is the one I listen only 5 times

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 17, 2014 23:13

All of the albums from Steel Wheels on.

Except for bits of Voodoo Lounge, which I liked.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 18, 2014 00:42

Everything before Beggar's Banquet and everything after Tattoo You with the exception of Stripped (good) and Bigger Bang (disappointing).

The early stuff is just so far before my time that it sounds dated and doesn't really hold my interest (with the exception of Connection and Ruby Tuesday).

I've heard bits and pieces of the later records but nothing that has really sounded worth a second listen. I am still a huge fan and am naturally open to listen to any IORR'ers song suggestions from my rather large virgin list. peace

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 18, 2014 03:11

Black and Blue is the one album I never listen to. To me it sounds soulless. I have ATTEMPTED to listen to it all the way through with fresh ears but my reaction is the same every time. Hot Stuff is a fun track but works better with the great lineup on Sucking In The 70s.

The only other album that gets less plays is A Bigger Bang.. So many crummy songs on that one. I hope I never hear Sweet Neo Con, Biggest Mistake, Driving Too Fast, Look What The Cat Dragged In, Streets of Love or Dangerous Beauty ever again. There is a good album in there, it is just drowned in filler.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: September 18, 2014 03:11

24FPS
I've listened to every scrap I can find. Ones that I never listen to now are Satanic Majesties, Emotional Rescue, Undercover, Dirty Work, all 3 Post-Wyman albums, and all Live Albums except Ya Yas, and Brussells. That doesn't mean I don't cherry pick singles off the ones mentioned, and side 3 of Love You Live.

Pretty solid assessment. I have a soft spot for ER, but a solid guide.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 18, 2014 04:25

FORTY LICKS: I did not like the idea of being made to buy 36 songs one more time, in order to obtain four songs only, that would become new. Consequently, I have heard those songs only once or twice, and only abstractedly. On that or those hearings they did not do that much of themselves. I hardly know their titles. The mentionned impression could change, though, on my hearing them. I would really like to have them on a compilation of unheard songs or versions.

Neither did I, that happen to have stayed in the vinyl recordings, have that later released version of VOODOO LOUNGE, which features "Mean Disposition". Also that song I have heard only once or twice. I would like to have that one included in the said wanted compilation.

I don't want to whine about this, but I find it a little irritating.

Now to the rather embarassing point: Neither have I bought any of DE LUXE extended re-releases of albums, or what they are termed. Do vinyl versions of those exist? Without costing abundantly TOO much? My expectations in that direction have made me neglect information, which I ought to have sought.

( The only Stones release, that I have stopped listening to, and that happened rather early, is METAMORPHOSIS.)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 18, 2014 07:04

Witness
FORTY LICKS: I did not like the idea of being made to buy 36 songs one more time, in order to obtain four songs only, that would become new. Consequently, I have heard those songs only once or twice, and only abstractedly. On that or those hearings they did not do that much of themselves. I hardly know their titles. The mentionned impression could change, though, on my hearing them. I would really like to have them on a compilation of unheard songs or versions.

Neither did I, that happen to have stayed in the vinyl recordings, have that later released version of VOODOO LOUNGE, which features "Mean Disposition". Also that song I have heard only once or twice. I would like to have that one included in the said wanted compilation.

Now to the rather embarassing point: Neither have I bought any of DE LUXE extended re-releases of albums, or what they are termed. Do vinyl versions of those exist? Without costing abundantly TOO much? My expectations in that direction have made me neglect information, which I ought to have sought.

( The only Stones release, that I have stopped listening to, and that happened rather early, is METAMORPHOSIS.)

I had the opposite point of view...look, I'll buy your crummy repackage, but don't throw 4 crap songs in there as a teaser...you're leaving out songs like She's So Cold, Saint Of Me, Heart of Stone, 2000 LYFH, Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo, Bitch, Play With Fire, As Tears Go By, Waiting on a Friend...for what, Don't Stop, Stealing My Heart?

Are you kidding me?!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 18, 2014 07:11

treaclefingers
Witness

I had the opposite point of view...look, I'll buy your crummy repackage, but don't throw 4 crap songs in there as a teaser...you're leaving out songs like She's So Cold, Saint Of Me, Heart of Stone, 2000 LYFH, Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo, Bitch, Play With Fire, As Tears Go By, Waiting on a Friend...for what, Don't Stop, Stealing My Heart?

Are you kidding me?!

???

I never bought 40 LICKS.

Added: I may have misunderstood the thread. Because, is it only about releases that we possess, but never listen to? In that case, ýes, then I have misunderstood.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-18 09:25 by Witness.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 18, 2014 09:44

I take it to be albums we have NEVER listened to ( not the ones we have listened to but don't like ).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 18, 2014 09:56

I guess the least I listen or have listened are 60's US Decca/London albums, since I have learned to listen the stuff from the UK versions (so it's not about the quality of the content). Especially NOW! and 12 X 5 are 'strange' releases for me. I think have never listened to ENGLAND'S NEWEST HITMAKERS actually, since I haven't ever own it (okay, the difference to THE ROLLING STONES is not that huge...)

I need to admit that I rather rarely these days listen to the albums as a whole, compared to old days... It just asks so much time and concentration. Since I know the Stones albums so well, I rather use that energy to some not so familiar stuff. As far as the Stones go, I just pick up the individual songs that I feel like listening at the moment. One song leads to another. Sometimes that ends up that I have listened the whole album, but in a different song order...

- Doxa

Date: September 18, 2014 10:03

I need to listen more to The Rolling Stones: Heartbreakers - 19 Love Songs.

I have listened to it, but this thread gave me big time guilty consciousness...

Time to catch up winking smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1631
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home