Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Any Stones albums you still haven't listened to after all these years?
Posted by: Mikael ()
Date: September 24, 2014 16:33

In a SHM vinyl replica turquoise blue fever, I bought Dirty Work along with all the other fantastic sounding / looking little wonders...silly me. I really tried to listen through it, but I can´t. Hate the sound! Bored by the songs.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 24, 2014 16:44

Mikael
In a SHM vinyl replica turquoise blue fever, I bought Dirty Work along with all the other fantastic sounding / looking little wonders...silly me. I really tried to listen through it, but I can´t. Hate the sound! Bored by the songs.

Willing to sell it?

C

Date: September 24, 2014 17:55

I never listen to Dirty Work or Undercover.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 24, 2014 18:22

DandelionPowderman
Still Life...

Twenty Flight Rock
Going To A Go Go
Imagination
Under My Thumb
Let's Spend The Night Together
Shattered
Time Is On My Side

The best versions they ever did of those songs in concert, maybe with the exception of Shattered (which is great anyway).

Why the underappreciation of Still Life? People don't like the 50s numbers? The old classics from the 60s? The songs from SG or TY?

Beats me...

I actually agree with you about this one.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 24, 2014 18:36

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
Still Life...

Twenty Flight Rock
Going To A Go Go
Imagination
Under My Thumb
Let's Spend The Night Together
Shattered
Time Is On My Side

The best versions they ever did of those songs in concert, maybe with the exception of Shattered (which is great anyway).

Why the underappreciation of Still Life? People don't like the 50s numbers? The old classics from the 60s? The songs from SG or TY?

Beats me...

I actually agree with you about this one.

I've always liked STILL LIFE. What's nice about it is what it isn't - another boring regurgitation of the usual songs.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 24, 2014 20:14

never listen to dirtwork, and rarely bridges to babylon, steel wheels, black and blue, rolling stones no 2.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 24, 2014 21:03

Outside the theme of the thread, but as a kind of comment to other posts, which are also outside:

I happen to experience TATTOO YOU as the weakest Rolling Stones album. I am not going to give reasons for that view now. I mention it to say that I do not listen less to that album than to other ordinary studio albums.

For years, that was the case decades back, I was not that keen on the second song on ROLLING STONES vol 2, "Down Home Girl". However, I did not stop to listen to it, even if I might play some favourites in addition. But when I played the album as such, I did not skip that song. And, wonder, years later, I started directly to like that song.

We are talking about a band, where songs or albums might grow on you, provided that you give them the chance. Won't you?

Date: September 25, 2014 03:57

Wow - I always though that "Down Home Girl" is one of the ebst cuts they ever did.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 25, 2014 11:40

Palace Revolution 2000
Wow - I always though that "Down Home Girl" is one of the ebst cuts they ever did.

My message was not that I do not like "Down Home Girl", because I do and have done for more than four decades. However, it took 5 - 6 years to start to like it. And why do you think I told about that in this thread, where some posters say that they scarcely have listened to certain albums, which they declare to be weak?

Date: September 25, 2014 11:42

Unfortunately, I heard Taj Mahal's version of Down Home Girl before I heard the Stones's version - hence the latter will always be inferior, imo.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 25, 2014 12:03

Never had in hands this one (not even a proper rip)

Apparently, the mastering should be a bit different from later CBS edition.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 25, 2014 23:46

I don't think I ever listened to Live Licks all the way through. I burned a single disc compilation of the rarer songs that weren't butchered but I don't remember ever listening all the way through.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 27, 2014 02:38

A better question for me is what Stones albums or parts of albums do I still listen to occasionally. In no particular order, The Rolling Stones Now! (classic original Stones); Aftermath (English version); Beggar's; Exile; Sticky Fingers; second side of Tattoo You. As for all of the rest of the band's catalogue, I only listen to selected cuts from the other studio albums as part of a mix tape. (I'm a Luddite, I guess - I still do tape, reel to reel and cassette, though I have a Sony Walkman mp3 player which I use in the car) and none of the live stuff. When I do listen to albums, it's on vinyl, played through an old tube powered Magnavox hi-hi that must weigh 300 pounds. They used real wood back then. :-)

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: September 27, 2014 16:07

I have never made it thru Emotional Rescue. Indian Girl makes me want to take the disc out and shatter it.

I listened to Dirty Work all the way thru the day it came out, and that was the last time.

I saw no point in picking up No Security.

But I never grow tired of Sticky Fingers and cherish the times I can play Exiles and Tattoo You, one side at a time on vinyl. Two records that really underscore the brilliance of album-sides.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 27, 2014 16:58

Green Lady
- and December's Children.

Ohh nooo Green Lady - that's not right!
We must remedy that somehow.

Date: September 27, 2014 21:12

Ross
I don't think I ever listened to Live Licks all the way through. I burned a single disc compilation of the rarer songs that weren't butchered but I don't remember ever listening all the way through.

HA HA!

I listened to it when I got it all the way through and wound up skipping through most of the tracks on disc 1 and have not bothered since.

Disc 2 is a whole other issue.

But disc 1... come on, the same ol' tired tired boring renditions of just... ugh. Brown Sugar is decent, it's very up, rocking and moving and it really rolls along. The mix is great. But it's edited heavily. The rest is just bland (the mix is damn good for the entire album but that doesn't save it). They should've used SFM from the Madison Square Garden PPV.

What they could've done is something similar to NO SECURITY and just released disc 2 minus Everybody Needs Somebody To Love, That's How Strong My Love Is and the deplorable version of Rocks Off (even without the horrible editing!!!) with better songs, perhaps Brown Sugar, Street Fighting Man and, I dunno, Heart Of Stone or Stray Cat Blues.

Date: September 27, 2014 21:18

buffalo7478
I have never made it thru Emotional Rescue. Indian Girl makes me want to take the disc out and shatter it.

I listened to Dirty Work all the way thru the day it came out, and that was the last time.

I saw no point in picking up No Security.

But I never grow tired of Sticky Fingers and cherish the times I can play Exiles and Tattoo You, one side at a time on vinyl. Two records that really underscore the brilliance of album-sides.

NO SECURITY is a sleeper. It's a well done album. And of all things, You Got Me Rocking is actually good - mostly because it's fast. But even with the 'make me want to break my forehead like an egg' Dave Mattttthewwwws on Memory Motel that song is sweet.

Supposedly Waiting On A Friend has Keith overdubbing acoustic for Mick but I've listened to the boot or whatever and the album and I can't tell a difference.

The three completely unnecessary tracks are The Last Time, which is a yawn, Respectable, which makes being bored seem exciting, and Live With Me, which isn't very good at all.

I guess I'd rank it their third best live release regarding official live albums up to SHINE A LIGHT, because LIVE IN TEXAS might actually be their best but you can't just buy the album.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1043
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home