Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hey Negrita!
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 20:11

I have just re-discovered this Woody-inspired song.

I didn't really care for it that much the first few times I heard it (many years ago).

But now I can't stop listening to it!

(Somebody stop me! Actually, don't... I'm enjoying it too much :-)

Re: Hey Negrita!
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 18, 2011 20:14

I agree....I never liked it even on LP when it was 1st released..

I got a new look/listen when i got the new rematers.. I like it a lot more now....
Still not my fav song but i like it a lot more now!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 18, 2011 20:16

i never liked it the first 20,000 times i listened to it.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 18, 2011 20:21

I like the live versions due to the great play between Ronnie Wood and Richards - those Richards chords are real sleazy

The vocals and lyrics - and mood of the song is a bit like Emotional Rescue....in the way that it's more of a joke than a serious "song"

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 18, 2011 20:22

It's a nice groove with good guitars.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 18, 2011 20:24

71Tele
It's a nice groove with good guitars.

one of those GGG songs they could do in their sleep in those daze...

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 18, 2011 20:29

Play it less and you will like it more!!! ha...

Its like Indian Girl or Too Much Blood....After years of never playing it and going
and hearing it again on the new remasters they all seem better now...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 18, 2011 20:31

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 18, 2011 20:48

Must have spent ages trying to learn how to play all the little licks that make this song. Still haven't got half of them ...

LOVE it!

C

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 18, 2011 20:53

I loved it from my first listen. I'd read, and in particular been told by a fellow Stones fan at school that BLACK AND BLUE was a crap album so delayed buying it. And then fell in love with Hey Negrita right off. I especially love Mick's "stuttered" singing toward the end.

Mick answers a question about the song:

LISA ROBINSON: "Do you anticipate any problems with this one, this HEY NEGRITA? The title?"

MICK: "What? HEY NEGRITA? It's a compliment. I mean, it's not a putdown. I mean, what's the problem, the 'hey' part? 'Hey?' No, I think `hey' will get past. What, you think colored people won't like it? Well...only the most sensitive ones. It's about South Americans; that's just what you say, you know? You say, `Hey, negrita'...one negri...negrota...you say to a lady one, a lady negress...`hey, negrita!' In fact, it's been done. Been said to my old lady, you see?"

ROBINSON: "How did she react?"

MICK: "She said, `That would be a good song title.' So there it is."

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 18, 2011 20:58

I've loved Hey Negrita since the first day I bought Black and Blue - and that was on the day of release so it's really stood the test of time. It's nothing remotely like Little Indian girl at all in any way. HN is raw funky guitar work with some brilliant singing - the stones at their best, and I think the bridge part of the song is inspirational. Good call !

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 18, 2011 21:21

hot stuff

Its like Indian Girl or Too Much Blood....After years of never playing it and going

There is nothing that can redeem Too Much Blood.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 19, 2011 01:21

tomcat2006

I didn't really care for it that much the first few times I heard it (many years ago).

In case you haven't heard this....Black & Blue outs + live...Rags to Excess... [www.megaupload.com] .....Inc. 12 minute version of Hey Negrita .........slightly hissy but still worth it...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 19, 2011 04:23

Ah hey naa-owwwww.

Great tune. Sure, it's a throwaway tune - but it's a great throwaway. It's one of my faves.

If they were to do something similar today or the past 20 years people would be drooling over it. The bridge is excellent.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: April 19, 2011 04:29

I always liked this tune.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 19, 2011 06:07

Great song and fun to play!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 19, 2011 07:17

71Tele
hot stuff

There is nothing that can redeem Too Much Blood.

the Great American Songbook, by 71Tele: From Williams to Westerberg, and Nought In Between.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 19, 2011 08:54

As I said before..we used to laugh our asses of to that weird tune...nowadays it's a classic...times changes...smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: April 19, 2011 10:34

Loved in the first time I heard it. It's not the greatest piece of music ever written, but it may have one of the best grooves, and Keith's riffing and the bridge + Ronnie's wailing throughout is top notch, imo.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: July 27, 2011 03:22

EddieByword
tomcat2006

In case you haven't heard this....Black & Blue outs + live...Rags to Excess... [www.megaupload.com] .....Inc. 12 minute version of Hey Negrita .........slightly hissy but still worth it...

That 11 minute version is absolutely fantastic. It is sad that there isn't a better quality version available. At least I'm not aware of such.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 27, 2011 03:25

Great tune! Especially if you're playing it while rumblin' with the old lady.

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: July 27, 2011 04:06

My favorite all-time Stones "summertime" song!...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 27, 2011 05:29

An incredible groove. Ronnie busts out and gets more than Mick Taylor ever did with his "inspired by Ron Wood", but you can hear his fingers all over it. Classic interplay between him and Keith. This just sweats with raunch and groove with a sinewy propulsive drumming and percussion. Love it! And it needs to be played LOUD!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 27, 2011 07:44

I remember being glad when I first heard it, thinking finally the sleazy, greasy, cum spattered Stones sound was back. They hadn't had that funk since Sticky Fingers. I guess it's a Ron Wood highlight.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: July 27, 2011 11:01

Single Malt
EddieByword
tomcat2006

That 11 minute version is absolutely fantastic. It is sad that there isn't a better quality version available. At least I'm not aware of such.

Well,then you must wait remastered one,,,theres still that hiss,if i take it off completely,music will suffer.But its clearer now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2053
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home