Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick Jagger Business inclusive a new CD
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 9, 2011 12:38

[www.thesun.co.uk]

SIR MICK JAGGER is chasing the country's finest comedy talent to star in a film he has been writing for the past 15 years.
The ROLLING STONES legend penned a script with the help of old pal DAVID BOWIE about a couple of hellraising rock'n'roll managers set in the mid-Sixties.

It's based on people like ANDREW LOOG OLDHAM, who managed Mick and fellow Stones KEITH RICHARDS, RONNIE WOOD and CHARLIE WATTS in their heyday.

After watching old chart rivals SIR PAUL McCARTNEY and GEORGE MICHAEL send themselves up for Comic Relief, he thought it was finally time to get his Ha Ha's out.

A source said: "Mick has had the script in the bag for years. He has gone back to it again recently and feels now is the time to get it out there.

"Mick has a few famous comedians in mind to star and is starting to sound them out.

"The script is full of stuff from back in the day, which Mick and the band witnessed first hand or heard about on their travels.

"He's well up for a cameo role, to show he's not the serious businessman a lot of people think he is all the time."

The wrinkly rocker is currently in LA putting the finishing touches to a new project with former EURYTHMICS star DAVE STEWART.

Pals reckon the album, out at the end of the summer, is a big two fingers up to Keef after the guitarist made jibes about Mick's manhood in his autobiography.

Mick is planning to release the film project under his own production company Jagged Films, which he set up in 1995.

It won't be his first either - he's produced a string of movies, such as World War II drama Enigma, and acted in others including Ned Kelly.

The source added: "Mick has been watching how people like SIR ELTON JOHN, Macca and RINGO STARR have been willing to send themselves up.

"He's done a lot of comedy appearances on television in the United States and it always goes down well.

"Sometimes he gets frustrated over not getting asked to do more skits in the UK, so he's taking the bull by the horns."

I reckon he should put himself up for a SMITHY sketch for Sport Relief with JAMES CORDEN.

Even better if they throw in a few gags about his little fella.

Re: Mick Jagger Business inclusive a new CD
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: April 9, 2011 12:55

I don't think Keith will mind (in public) Mick's solo thing after all the commotions lately...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 9, 2011 13:44

This one has been bubbling away on the back burner for years and years - I'd love to see it come to something at last, but I'm not holding my breath.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 9, 2011 15:26

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 9, 2011 16:13

...that has to be the oddest friendship between Jagger and Bowie...they haven't been seen together out publicly since.... like the Live Aid video..

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: April 9, 2011 16:52

Rip This
...that has to be the oddest friendship between Jagger and Bowie...they haven't been seen together out publicly since.... like the Live Aid video..

this one was taken much later obviously

It's an interesting news. Never heard of them working together on this project. There were rumors Mick was working with Scorsese on the script for the movie which was called The Long Play. then this script was tuned to TV series The History Of The Music still Mick and Scorsese working together. And now new rumors - another movie witn Bowie now.
BTW, they used to work together on a project where Jagger and Bowie were supposed to play parts which finally went to Michael Caine and Steve Martin in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels"

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 9, 2011 19:01

After writing the song for RUTHLESS PEOPLE Mick had that film's screenwriter write a script based on the old Brando/Niven movie BEDTIME STORY to star Mick and David Bowie. That was then made into DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS.

That screenwriter wrote an amusing article about the talks that went on regarding Mick and Bowie starring in DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS. He said Mick thought the RUTHLESS PEOPLE script was "brilliant." And then they met with some studio executives. He said, "When Jagger would tell a joke, we would all laugh uproariously, because of the groupie in us all. But when I would tell a joke, the executives would first look to see if Jagger was laughing, and only if he was laughing would they then laugh, too."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-09 19:10 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: April 9, 2011 19:13

Mich Jagger has huge hands winking smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 9, 2011 21:08

...what a cute picture.....

Posted by: vincentwhirlwind ()
Date: April 9, 2011 22:19

Some time ago I read a book called Kalkai I think it was by Gore Vidal, I later read that Mick had the film rights to it, I'd like to see him do some thing with that.

Date: April 11, 2011 20:42

[www.nme.com]

David Bowie has described rumours about him collaborating on a rock'n'roll comedy film with The Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger as "piffle".

It was claimed on Saturday (April 9) that Jagger and Bowie were sounding out actors for the comedy film, which they had supposedly spent the past 15 years writing.

But today Bowie has dismissed the tabloid story.

A post on website Davidbowie.com, reads: "David Bowie summed up the notion that he is, or has been, working with Mick Jagger on a film script for an upcoming comedy with this well-chosen word: 'Piffle'."

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 11, 2011 21:20

The article is a made up rehash of old news. The script in question never involved Bowie and Jagger's involvement was in developing the story, not scripting it himself. It's also a heavy drama piece more along the lines of the history of Atlantic Records through several decades of changing fashion and musical styles. Hard "R" material. Not lighthearted fluff piece and nothing to do with Andrew nor are the two main characters versions of Mick and Keith. The two guys run a record label together and then split off into separate labels as times change. They are not musicians, they're businessmen whose business is music.

Date: April 11, 2011 21:21

The late summer release for Mick's project with Dave Stewart is also only speculative as an aside. Allegedly it's not coming out until next year timed with the Olympics.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 11, 2011 22:01

Ok I need a translator for the Brit speak. What does Piffle mean?confused smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: April 11, 2011 22:17

He dismissed it as nonsense, trivial, or unimportant.

Date: April 11, 2011 22:33

I wonder how on Earth did they dig out Bowie? What, Mick and David have dined together recently? They coudn't have brought it out of the blue

Date: April 11, 2011 23:22

At a guess, I'd say it's the movie projects Mick and Bowie were juggling in the eighties. Along with the aforementioned BEDTIME STORY remake that became DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS, there was SUGAR (musical remake of SOME LIKE IT HOT) and ROCKET BOYS (in which they would play rival club owners).

The writer Title5Take1 mentions earlier is Dale Launer by the way.

Date: April 12, 2011 00:43

Mick was offered the role of Rooster Hannigan in the 1982 movie musical ANNIE. Mick pondered it and pondered, but finally turned it down. He told a journalist, "I turned it down, but, boy, was it a lot of money." The role instead went to Tim Curry.

Date: April 12, 2011 01:40

He turned it down because the shooting schedule would have conflicted with the 1981 US tour. Same thing happened with BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES and the STEEL WHEELS tour. In the latter, Mick was up for the Bruce Willis role.

Date: April 12, 2011 02:41

Rocky Dijon
He turned it down because the shooting schedule would have conflicted with the 1981 US tour. Same thing happened with BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES and the STEEL WHEELS tour. In the latter, Mick was up for the Bruce Willis role.

Mick just thought the part of Rooster in a musical wasn't for him.

FITZCARRALDO is the film that conflicted with the 1981 tour. Mick actually did some scenes that had to be cut. Get the documentary BURDEN OF DREAMS to
see clips of Mick acting alongside Jason Robards and reciting Shakespeare's Richard III.

Mick wanted the part in BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES and just lost out, because Willis was an established movie star and got the part because of that. Mick told "Us Magazine" about the part of Peter Fallow, "I want that part. I think I could do it better than anybody."

Date: April 12, 2011 02:51

I've seen BURDEN OF DREAMS. Check out the shooting schedules for both ANNIE and BONFIRE, they conflicted with Stones work.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 12, 2011 03:12

"It's based on people like ANDREW LOOG OLDHAM, who managed Mick and fellow Stones KEITH RICHARDS, RONNIE WOOD and CHARLIE WATTS in their heyday."

How interesting. I never knew Ronnie was part of the Loog era! Unless he had something to do with whatever Ronnie was doing as well at that time. Did/was he?

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: April 12, 2011 03:41

I think the Small Faces were on Loogs label, 'Immediate Records' - does that ring a bell?

Date: April 12, 2011 04:18

I guess. I have never read anything anywhere about Loog and Ronnie with the Stones, that's all, as it implies. I'm pleading ignorance.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 12, 2011 04:22

.Some time ago I read a book called Kalkai I think it was by Gore Vidal, I later read that Mick had the film rights to it, I'd like to see him do some thing with that.

Mick bought the rights to KALKI as a potential vehicle for himself & Jerry, with Hal Ashby set to direct. Vidal later said those plans were destroyed by Ashby's decision to attempt to consume all of the cocaine on the planet.

Date: April 12, 2011 04:25

So...this means no Stones tour in 2012 right? Mick too busy with a movie etc? Ha ha.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 12, 2011 06:14

skipstone
I'm pleading ignorance.
Now that's a newsflash isn't it?

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: April 12, 2011 09:58

Harm
Mich Jagger has huge hands winking smiley
yes, it's to take more money !

Date: April 12, 2011 17:27

mstmst
I think the Small Faces were on Loogs label, 'Immediate Records' - does that ring a bell?

Not in this instance since by the time Ronnie joined the Faces, they were no longer on Immediate Records.

Jagger planning Rock movie
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 10, 2011 13:18

Don't think anyone has posted this...

Here

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1432
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home