Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Song of the Day: 'Watching the River Flow,' the Rolling Stones
Posted by: perosand ()
Date: April 9, 2011 08:54

[www.nj.com]

www.perosand.no

Re: Song of the Day: 'Watching the River Flow,' the Rolling Stones
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 9, 2011 09:38

just listened to it, early this morning. Like the music, and keef at the end.
its a nice song, except for Jaggers over the top vocals.Love the horns, harp and guitars at he end.
would be a good live song for the final concert!!
Overall: good song, not great.
byee Jeroen

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 9, 2011 09:45

I like the overall lazy blues vibe, but this is what happens when the instrumental break comes along: Absolutely nothing. It's the musical equivalent of a four-way stop where nobody wants to go first.

In the "good old days" this is where we would have a great Taylor slide solo, or a barrelhouse sax from Bobby, or some of that "weaving" between Keith and Ronnie that is so legendary (or a great boogie-woogie piano solo, since this is all about Stu). But all we have is empty space and the song doesn't pick up steam where it "naturally" should. A real shame.

Date: April 9, 2011 10:20

i agree 71 Tele
jeroen

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 9, 2011 10:40

A nice reunion to hear. I wonder if they videotaped the session. I'd like to see outtakes. I like Jagger's vocal; almost like he's vamping Louis Armstrong.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: April 9, 2011 10:44

corriecas
just listened to it, early this morning. Like the music, and keef at the end.
its a nice song, except for Jaggers over the top vocals.Love the horns, harp and guitars at he end.
would be a good live song for the final concert!!
Overall: good song, not great.
byee Jeroen

I listened to it, with much expectations, just now for the very first time....stopped after 1 min because of Mick's singing.... Can't they tell him to sing without trying so hard?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-09 10:50 by Harm.

Date: April 9, 2011 11:24

Must be jaggers Ego. Let him act his age and improve his singing.
jeroen

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 9, 2011 11:40

Title5Take1
A nice reunion to hear. I wonder if they videotaped the session. I'd like to see outtakes. I like Jagger's vocal; almost like he's vamping Louis Armstrong.

Were they ever in the same studio at the same time?

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: April 9, 2011 11:49

teleblaster
Title5Take1

Were they ever in the same studio at the same time?

No, never!

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: April 9, 2011 20:05

Totally flacid and forgettable, it just seemed like a pointless plod to the end of a track that had already outstayed its welcome at 3.00

71Tele nailed it about the directionless instrumental break. Ideally that would've been a rollicking Ian MacLagan solo or an epic weave, but it actually sounded like an entire track of audio was missing. Unforgivable.

Mick's voice was just about tolerable, but reminds you more of the Jagger caricature than ever.

The production could've been less polished and compressed sounding, a bit more ragged and garagey and let the song breathe a bit. Jack White's music doesn't do much for me, but at this point I agree that he's most likely our best chance of getting something raw and honest out of the Stones. Do we know who produced this Dylan cover?

Overall really disappointing. The lack of any real attitude or passion in this recording made the Stones sound flat and uninterested.

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: April 9, 2011 20:34

71Tele
I like the overall lazy blues vibe, but this is what happens when the instrumental break comes along: Absolutely nothing. It's the musical equivalent of a four-way stop where nobody wants to go first.

Yes, that is a real "eight bars of piano!" moment, if you remember the Dr Feelgood song. Presumably Woody didn't think of it as a Stones song when he laid down his part (because Keith wasn't involved in the album yet). Did Keith know that Mick was going to sing on it? If so, maybe Keith was the under the impression Mick might play a harp solo, and left the space for him.

But I can't see why Ben Waters didn't just go back in and overdub a piano solo, bearing in mind the purpose of the album.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: April 9, 2011 20:37

repetitive and forced vocals
I will have the Japanese cd in a couple of days

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 9, 2011 23:05

WorriedAboutYou
Totally flacid and forgettable, it just seemed like a pointless plod to the end of a track that had already outstayed its welcome at 3.00

71Tele nailed it about the directionless instrumental break. Ideally that would've been a rollicking Ian MacLagan solo or an epic weave, but it actually sounded like an entire track of audio was missing. Unforgivable.

Mick's voice was just about tolerable, but reminds you more of the Jagger caricature than ever.

The production could've been less polished and compressed sounding, a bit more ragged and garagey and let the song breathe a bit. Jack White's music doesn't do much for me, but at this point I agree that he's most likely our best chance of getting something raw and honest out of the Stones. Do we know who produced this Dylan cover?

Overall really disappointing. The lack of any real attitude or passion in this recording made the Stones sound flat and uninterested.

i agree with you. Very poor guitars and awful production.
Jack Whithe or George Drakoulias are the only solutions.
It's a song without soul and passion.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 10, 2011 02:34

Title5Take1

What 'session'?

Keith did an overdub in New York, and then a track was e-mailed to Mick, who added his vocal and sent it back the same day.

The outtakes would basically consist of Jagger signing into his internet account and opening his inbox....

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: April 10, 2011 02:52

Gazza
Title5Take1

What 'session'?

Keith did an overdub in New York, and then a track was e-mailed to Mick, who added his vocal and sent it back the same day.

The outtakes would basically consist of Jagger signing into his internet account and opening his inbox....

Sort of sad isn't it? Whatever happened to the days of all members coming together in the same room to bang out some magic? For the magic to return they all need to come together in the same room, kiss and make up..................

Date: April 10, 2011 03:05

I think it was more a case of what was convenient, and maybe it was done at short notice.

The end always justifies the means IMO. Quite a lot of the Stones' best albums have been recorded with band members absent for long periods or under pretty chaotic conditions.

Date: April 10, 2011 03:23

Gazza
I think it was more a case of what was convenient, and maybe it was done at short notice.

The end always justifies the means IMO. Quite a lot of the Stones' best albums have been recorded with band members absent for long periods or under pretty chaotic conditions.

Makes you wonder what they could achieve if they all came together in one room to record the next album. I sure love getting together with my mates to play a round of golf so this idea that Mick and Keith do not get along all that well, must have some merit to it, albeit, somewhat exaggerated.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 10, 2011 03:29

Gawd. One thing I used to count on with the Stones was artistic integrity. Where did that go?

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-10 05:38 by drewmaster.

Date: April 10, 2011 04:22

thewatchman
Gazza

Makes you wonder what they could achieve if they all came together in one room to record the next album. I sure love getting together with my mates to play a round of golf so this idea that Mick and Keith do not get along all that well, must have some merit to it, albeit, somewhat exaggerated.

I dont think it matters how its done if the hunger, desire or the songs aren't there to begin with.

Date: April 10, 2011 04:36

Gazza
thewatchman
Gazza

I dont think it matters how its done if the hunger, desire or the songs aren't there to begin with.

Absolutely, agree with you on all three counts. Didn't seem like there was any special effort put forth for the ABB album, but maybe they see it differently, I don't know.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 10, 2011 07:45

drewmaster
Gawd. One thing I used to count on with the Stones was artistic integrity. Where did that go?

Drew

Get yerself a time machine, son...

Posted by: Gibson668 ()
Date: April 10, 2011 08:34

Buy the CD and read the sleeve notes, you'll then find out how it all happened...

Date: April 10, 2011 13:23

thewatchman
Gazza
thewatchman
Gazza

Absolutely, agree with you on all three counts. Didn't seem like there was any special effort put forth for the ABB album, but maybe they see it differently, I don't know.

to be honest, despite what a lot of people seem to think of that record, IMO it was a much better effort than what I thought they had in them at this stage.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 10, 2011 15:51

Gazza
thewatchman
Gazza
thewatchman
Gazza

to be honest, despite what a lot of people seem to think of that record, IMO it was a much better effort than what I thought they had in them at this stage.

wow - you REALLY had low expectations....

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: April 10, 2011 16:23

Great cover. Thank you Stones for recording this....still cutting tracks in 2011. Ha! To some of my fellow Stones fans out there: it's later then you think.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 10, 2011 18:09

souldoggie
To some of my fellow Stones fans out there: it's later then you think.

please specify your audience. i've got 10:09 a.m. CDT. is my watch running slow again?

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: April 10, 2011 18:13

Even Motorhead dont bother getting together to make a record these days. The guitarist phones it all in from England to Lemmy in LA. Utterly depressing. Music is supposed to be communal - I thought that was at its very essence.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 10, 2011 20:45

Gazza
[
What 'session'?

...seems like a virtual band, very sad

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: April 10, 2011 20:58

letitloose
Even Motorhead dont bother getting together to make a record these days. The guitarist phones it all in from England to Lemmy in LA. Utterly depressing. Music is supposed to be communal - I thought that was at its very essence.

In principle I agree with your sentiment, but to be fair to Motorhead they're on the road almost constantly and most likely need a break from each other occasionally. I certainly wouldn't want to be around the members of Motorhead 24/7!

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 12, 2011 00:45

I don't understand all the bashing. This is a fine song and performance. The album is definitely on my wish list now.

Whoever was the producer of this track did a good job and the Stones should keep him at the top of their list regarding producers for their next album.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2255
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home