Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Song of the Day: 'Watching the River Flow,' the Rolling Stones
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 12, 2011 01:41

billwebster
I don't understand all the bashing.

some people don't like it so they bash it. that help?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 12, 2011 06:50

billwebster
I don't understand all the bashing. This is a fine song and performance. The album is definitely on my wish list now.

Whoever was the producer of this track did a good job and the Stones should keep him at the top of their list regarding producers for their next album.

So we can look forward to an entire album of songs recorded with the band members on different continents, too-loud Jagger vocals, and instrumental breaks where nobody plays anything? Or a whole album of Stones covering Dylan? (I think that's actually an interesting idea). Seriously though, I would love to have this simple, swinging Charlie-and-Bill rhythm section back for a whole album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-12 06:51 by 71Tele.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 12, 2011 07:15

Not sure in the many threads if the link to the stream of the album has been posted. But here it is again.[er.spinshop.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 12, 2011 09:46

As a track it reminds me of the late 80's/early 90's era blues numbers they did and even released at the time ("Fancy Man Blues", "Wish I Hadn't Met You", "I Just Wanna Make Love to You", "Little Red Rooster", etc.) which all seem to go in same tempo, and without much variance. That seems to be written in their DNA if they decide to do blues by numbers. Since Charlie is the first one to provide the basic track, it sounds like it is probably more to do with him in building the 'blues' scheme (now and even then?) The biggest difference to those times is Jagger's vocals. Back then Jagger had that a bit funny matured old blues man voice; now it s that thin nasal peterpan voice someone described - rightly - "caricature".

Since it is a track not much effort or idea - besides being a tribute to Stu - I don't think it needs to much attention critiquewise. A nice little blues effort. And to hear Charlie and Bill together is a thrill after all these years. Just like having Taylor "back" last year. Even for only one song.

But like I mentioned in some other thread, should we consider "Watching the River Flow" as 'real' Rolling Stones tune or just a solo project that accidently seemed to gather together recent and ex-Rolling Stones members? eye popping smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-12 09:47 by Doxa.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: April 12, 2011 12:08

Where's the joy over hearing Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie and Bill on the same tune again? It surely could have been better, but it definately could have been much worse too.

I'm picturing the stones-camp reading these threads about hoping to see Bill with the Stones one last time, bring in MT for a couple of farewell shows... maybe even a tour! They should stick with playing the blues.... When actually approaching what many fans want, it gets butchered to pieces, so why bother? The "fans" don't like it anyway! tongue sticking out smiley

[www.reverbnation.com]

I like the new Stones Dylan cover and that Bill is back
Posted by: Bomber ()
Date: April 9, 2011 04:48

Re: I like the new Stones Dylan cover and that Bill is back
Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: April 9, 2011 06:19

the drums are great. charlie has that killer feel with the brushes. nice!!

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: April 9, 2011 07:37

Almost sounds like EXILE ON MAIN STREET era - NICE !!!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 9, 2011 09:48

I posted this on the other thread about this song...sorry if you have to read it again.

I like the overall lazy blues vibe, but this is what happens when the instrumental break comes along: Absolutely nothing. It's the musical equivalent of a four-way stop where nobody wants to go first.

In the "good old days" this is where we would have a great Taylor slide solo, or a barrelhouse sax from Bobby, or some of that "weaving" between Keith and Ronnie that is so legendary (or a great boogie-woogie piano solo, since this is all about Stu). But all we have is empty space and the song doesn't pick up steam where it "naturally" should. A real shame.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: April 9, 2011 10:01

CrissCrossMind

I think it sounds more like one of those Steel Wheels B Sides.

Date: April 9, 2011 11:21

I think there is some nice subtle guitar that comes in at 2:00 - if you really listen. Nice harp too. Good track.

Date: April 9, 2011 11:25

and Mick sounds fine

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: April 9, 2011 12:58

I am getting used it this now,was'nt too impressed with the vocals at first,but it definately grows on you,at least we got some Stones content to keep us amused.
Lookinjg forward to listening to the rest of the Boogie 4 Stu album when it arrives some time next week.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 9, 2011 13:11

It's not exactly Ramones but anyway...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 9, 2011 13:15

I suggested Ronnie Wood to do "Watching The River Flow", in that "I Feel Like Playing"-competition. Maybe I'm responsible for this Dylan-cover, so to say.....then again, maybe not - but I like to think of this project as "my thing".......Rolling Stones themselves are merely my assistants grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-09 13:21 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 9, 2011 15:24

one listen is all i could stomach

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 9, 2011 16:32

StonesTod

I've allready told Jagger that allthough I appreciate his efforts, he won't be getting any payments for that take. Better luck next time, Mick.

Date: April 9, 2011 20:50

Come On
It's not exactly Ramones but anyway...

smiling smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 9, 2011 21:33

It doesn't sound like the Stones working something out together in the studio. There isn't that magic. It sounds like what it is, an All-Star song with different people phoning in their parts from around the world.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 9, 2011 21:35

StonesTod

I thought it was something I ate...that would explain it then for me.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 9, 2011 21:37

Better than Plundered.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 9, 2011 21:55

Hairball
Better than Plundered.

Seriously? Plunder has almost Biggest mistake-class...Watching the river flow is not that good even with Mr Dylan...I say that 'Spanish is the loving tounge'..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 9, 2011 23:00

KeefintheNight82
CrissCrossMind

I think it sounds more like one of those Steel Wheels B Sides.

Poor guitars, especially Keith.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: April 10, 2011 17:59

Come On
Hairball
Better than Plundered.

Seriously? Plunder has almost Biggest mistake-class...Watching the river flow is not that good even with Mr Dylan...I say that 'Spanish is the loving tounge'..

You make some weird statements.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 16, 2011 10:40

finally got my copy - i am charmed!
it's a good number and they all sound fine and i love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 16, 2011 13:01

I read through this thread before listening. grinning smiley

I expected something horrific. It's far from amazing, but nice enough at the same time. Mick's vocals, although too loud in the mix, are less nasal than on Plundered My Soul.

Anyway it's their contribution to a Stu tribute, wonder what Stu would say about it!?

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 16, 2011 19:53

Just listened to it. Mick's vocals are almost unbearable...the backing is standard lazy bluesy backing, nothing special. The guitars could be completely absent and I wouldn't notice since they don't do much.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 16, 2011 20:07

It's just a nice little blues. Good one. People should get over themselves.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 16, 2011 20:24

His Majesty
Mick's vocals, although too loud in the mix, are less nasal than on Plundered My Soul.

I guess there is nothing wrong with nasal per se - Dylan made a career out of it - but how to use it. Jagger used masterfully nasal during EXILE and GOATS HEAD SOAP period (so great and naturally we don't even recognize it sometimes). For my ears the nasal of "Plundered" works fine and suit naturally to the song and to its feeling whereas the one of "Watching The River Flow" just irrates me. The latter is just too manufactured, unnatural, plastic-like; somehow sounds like trying to cover with that cheap trick the lack of the true color of vitality of the voice. In "Plundered" the vocal sounds thick, but in "The River Flow" thin. The way too loud mix reveals it all way too clearly - and even loud mix can work when the voice is 'alright' (just listen AFTERMATHgrinning smiley)

- Doxa

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 16, 2011 20:34

To my ears, this song is ruined by Mick. This would have been a great time to bury his vocal in the mix.

Again, I love the idea of them doing this, but I won't be so "blinded by love" to fool myself into believing that this is a good record. It was never intended to be more than just a little blues thing, because that's all the song is, and that's OK. I didn't expect anything more, but what we ended up with was something much less.

Mick literally phoned this vocal in, and I'm sure that the producers were so grateful/awestruck that they didn't want to ask him to change a thing. Who knows how many layers of management it takes to go through to reach the guy? I'll bet Mick spent more time talking about the job with his lawyers than it took to sing the song. We all love the idea of this band of brothers, but at this point it's a myth.

I would love to hear Dylan record a new album with Bill and Charlie as the rhythm section. You could have Wood and Taylor in there, throw in McLagan too. It would be the last, best hope of hearing Real Music from the Rolling Stones camp at this point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-16 20:50 by loog droog.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1747
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home