Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Love Is Strong - revisited
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 12, 2011 19:27

KSIE
StonesTod
Elmo Lewis
James, my music playing friend, while you make some valid points, radio and the whole music biz has changed tons since Tattoo You came out. Some of these songs shoulda/coulda/woulda been hits in another era.

we'll never know, will we? the point that james raised remains spot-on...they've failed to keep up with the times, at a minimum....

Joe Gillis: You're Norma Desmond. You used to be in silent pictures. You used to be big.
Norma Desmond: I *am* big. It's the *pictures* that got small.

- 'Sunset Boulevard' William Holden (Joe) and Gloria Swanson (Norma)

great movie. and don't forget the little seinfeld spoof on it, too....

Date: April 12, 2011 20:41

KSIE
StonesTod
Elmo Lewis
James, my music playing friend, while you make some valid points, radio and the whole music biz has changed tons since Tattoo You came out. Some of these songs shoulda/coulda/woulda been hits in another era.

we'll never know, will we? the point that james raised remains spot-on...they've failed to keep up with the times, at a minimum....

Joe Gillis: You're Norma Desmond. You used to be in silent pictures. You used to be big.
Norma Desmond: I *am* big. It's the *pictures* that got small.

Haha one of the best pictures, even an old swede in it..Anna q Nilsson I thinks. One of the old stars norma played cards with...

- 'Sunset Boulevard' William Holden (Joe) and Gloria Swanson (Norma)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 13, 2011 16:31

jamesfdouglas
Rocky Dijon
Trouble is too many concert-goers don't want to hear tracks cut after the early eighties.

The sea of blank faces one sees at their shows when they do play most-post '81 singles (single = song designed for radio play) is due to one reason... they aren't good singles, period...

Songs become hits when they leave impressions on many people with great hooks, lyrics, tunes that stay in your head, songs you crave hearing. The Stones, to be honest, have not succeeded in creating a true, bonafide hit since 1981...

the post-'81 stuff isn't played, because no one cares about it. No one cares about it because frankly, they're misfires, or 'failures' as 'singles'.

Yet, bizarrely, Undercover Of The Night and Rock And A Hard Place have been played on most tours starting in 1989. I like the studio version of UOTN but live it's dull. RAAHP just sucks period. Yet "someone" named Mick Jagger insists that these songs get played. Over much better songs from those albums/era. Because they were singles.

Love Is Strong was the first Voodoo single yet You Got Me Rocking gets played more? That's odd. Except at least Mick can sing YGMR better than LIS.

Out Of Control was the best of the three singles from Bridges yet...not one of those gets played anymore. So instead they play something old, like Sway, and destroy it. Wonderful.

Date: April 13, 2011 16:34

skipstone
DandelionPowderman
crumbling_mice
Tod made a good point, Love is Strong, is very similar to Wicked As It Seems, never realised this previously, but went back and had another serious listen and you are on the mark with that at least.

Why is LIS similar to Wicked As It Seems, apart from the first G/A change in the intro. I've always wondered why people say that???

Listen to them back to back. Same riff, same chorus basically, and a similar tempo.

Part of the "weaving" is that they may have slaved amps, had several amps going at the same time and used different tracks throughout the mix. Or the obvious other possibility - a few overdubs.

The Bob Clearmountain remix if fantastic. All the other so called remixes are total crap. I like the tune. Live is stunk but it's a nice tune.

Fixed the video links. For some reason the 'copy' part of the link makes it youtu.be instead of how it used to be. I just copied the browser link:

Wicked As It Seems

Love Is Strong (Bob Clearmountain Remix)

Nothing similar at all, imo, apart from the chord change in the beginning. Not even the riff or rhythm. Oh wait, it's in the same key - that's all smiling smiley

Date: April 13, 2011 16:42

Yes, the riffage is completely utterly 100% different.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 13, 2011 21:50

May I confuse you all with this. Gold painted nails. It's not Love is strong but there are similarities.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 13, 2011 21:57

Yep, I can hear similarities, but also similarities to many other Stones songs!

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: April 13, 2011 22:43

One of my favourite later Stones songs and just as good as Start Me Up. I remember it got Single of the Week in the NME, with a reference to Keith's 'slow riff of evil'.

It would have made a great Satanic track.

Date: April 14, 2011 10:30

skipstone

No open-G riff from Keith is completely utterly different. But imo a chord change from G to A and some noodling in G later on just isn't enough to back up your argument here.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: April 14, 2011 12:32

Justin
Big Al
OK, so the footage is out of sync with the audio, but this is tragic sad smiley

That's what we call "under-rehearsed."

I was at that show, and as much as under rehearsed it might sound through youtube, it was really great to hear the song live!

Date: April 14, 2011 13:11

Wild Slivovitz
Justin
Big Al

I was at that show, and as much as under rehearsed it might sound through youtube, it was really great to hear the song live!

This version isn't bad at all, imo. However, the monitor mix has poorly balanced levels and is way too dry. Keith's Open-G chops is working nicely here, imo.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 14, 2011 15:18

StonesTod
VoodooLounge13
An absolutel Classic! It should have been even bigger than it was!! But I agree that it's not the last great Stones song that has all of the components to it.....there have been many since: Saint of Me, LowDown, Don't Stop, Rough Justice, Driving too Fast.

I know that the current incarnation and output gets flogged a lot on here, but quite honestly, if you look at their latter day output, they have put out some amazing stuff!! Absolutely stellar!! Of course, I do rank in the overwhelming MINORITY with my belief that VL is their best album ever, and ABB a close second, so maybe I'm just partial......

it's nice to be in the minority sometimes! this just wouldn't be one of those times....

Aww, StonesTod, that was harsh and funny at the same time! smileys with beer

Date: April 14, 2011 16:02

DandelionPowderman
skipstone

No open-G riff from Keith is completely utterly different. But imo a chord change from G to A and some noodling in G later on just isn't enough to back up your argument here.

I was being sarcastic. There are no other songs that sound so similar in the Keith cannon. Wicked and LIS are practically the same song. The first time I heard LIS I thought, ha ha - he stole Wicked As It Seems and turned it into a Stones song!

I was right.

Date: April 14, 2011 17:07

skipstone
DandelionPowderman
skipstone

I was being sarcastic. There are no other songs that sound so similar in the Keith cannon. Wicked and LIS are practically the same song. The first time I heard LIS I thought, ha ha - he stole Wicked As It Seems and turned it into a Stones song!

I was right.

mhm. and i'm suprised keith didn't sue the stones over this.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 14, 2011 17:31

Big Al

[/quote]

Nowt wrong with that version! Kinda tentative and they are coasting a bit, but it sounds cool enough to these ears.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 14, 2011 19:16

jamesfdouglas
Rocky Dijon
Trouble is too many concert-goers don't want to hear tracks cut after the early eighties. A group that apparently includes a lot of ouur own number here.

How is this 'trouble'? The sea of blank faces one sees at their shows when they do play most-post '81 singles (single = song designed for radio play) is due to one reason... they aren't good singles, period. They don't resonate with most fans, never mind your average Joe/Jane Radio Listener.

Songs become hits when they leave impressions on many people with great hooks, lyrics, tunes that stay in your head, songs you crave hearing. The Stones, to be honest, have not succeeded in creating a true, bonafide hit since 1981. They've been in a kind of semi-denial that they've really been (artistically) a live nostalgia act since 1994, the year Love Is Strong came out.

There's a lot of 'apologist' or 'turd polish' attitudes about their latter work, and I've heard every reason under the sun from people here explaining why their current stuff should be regarded as modern classic stuff, but I know there's more than one here who will agree that it's this simple: the post-'81 stuff isn't played, because no one cares about it. No one cares about it because frankly, they're misfires, or 'failures' as 'singles'.

Would anyone other then a spotting of devotees, most of them right here in this forum care about another Love Is Strong or Rough Justice??

I agree with the main point here.

Just looking 'coldly' the charts alone - not the best thing but still a thing to be considered if we talk about 'hit songs'. Do you quess what these numbers are?

50, 57, 91, 113, 60, 109, 94, 97

These are Billboard charting for successive Rolling Stones US singles since 1990. The third numer (91) is that of "Love Is Strong". As a leading single of the album it is one could say their biggest flop in single-wise in their career. Any album by then had at least one tope ten hit in it. Even STEEL WHEELS had still #5 single. Probably that one - "Mixed Emotions" - can be considered their last real hit, while "Start Me Up" the last big single.

Yeah, VOODOO LOUNGE was a huge seller as an album, but I don't think there is much to me remembered of it in terms of impressions (recognizable songs) - like everyone - a casual Stones audience member - immediately recognizes "oh yeah, that one - do you remember back then when we did this and that blah blah blah".. They play "You Got Me Rocking" (#113 in Billboard) but I think it is type of song that (a) is easy to perform, and (b) works very well to get the audience going on with its easy sing-along chorus in the early part of the show - even that most of them don't really 'know' it.

By the way. How it is even possible that while a band makes the biggest grossing tours of all time, attented by millions, tour after other, they can't reach even #50 in the single charts with their new songs? Not a 'singles' or 'hits' band for sure...

(I'm talking here only of US charts, their traditional big market, and it is not so 'sad' in some other markets but the tendency is still, roughly, quite similar.)

- Doxa

Date: April 14, 2011 19:26

Doxa
By the way. How it is even possible that while a band makes the biggest grossing tours of all time, attented by millions, tour after other, they can't reach even #50 in the single charts with their new songs?

where was doxa the other day when this was discussed?

very simple answer: they don't write songs as good as they did in their heyday. they know it, we know it, and the music-listening public at large knows it.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 14, 2011 19:27

Big Al

Guess you had to be there. I was and it was a highlight of that show for sure. It grooved.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 14, 2011 20:26

DandelionPowderman
Wild Slivovitz
Justin
Big Al

This version isn't bad at all, imo. However, the monitor mix has poorly balanced levels and is way too dry. Keith's Open-G chops is working nicely here, imo.

I'm sure it sounded nice in person but the band's uncertainty with the song comes through loud and clear. Nothing a few more run-throughs wouldn't fix. Good enough for a one-off thing but still needs some tightening up. C+ performance.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home