Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Love Is Strong - revisited
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 8, 2011 15:29

Mathijs
Thricenay
I like the slight hesitancy in the guitar-playing after the first '... we make a beautiful team'. It's as if Keith and Ronnie are both thinking about starting a solo, but then decide not to.

That part always comes accross to me as 'we have no clue what to do here'. This track never developed any further than its demo stage.

Mathijs

yep. the song fails to deliver ultimately despite the strong buildup to.......then....nothing.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 8, 2011 15:36

Thricenay
Mathijs
Thricenay
I like the slight hesitancy in the guitar-playing after the first '... we make a beautiful team'. It's as if Keith and Ronnie are both thinking about starting a solo, but then decide not to.

That part always comes accross to me as 'we have no clue what to do here'. This track never developed any further than its demo stage.

Mathijs

In that case, I assume you don't like 'I Go Wild' either. grinning smiley

The two have always sounded like sister-songs to me.

Well, I find Voodoo Lounge a dreadful album, just the worst they made. Fake, terrible sounding Stones by the numbers.

Mathijs

Date: April 8, 2011 15:44

Mathijs
Thricenay
Mathijs
Thricenay

Mathijs

Well, I find Voodoo Lounge a dreadful album, just the worst they made. Fake, terrible sounding Stones by the numbers.

Mathijs

i won't go that far, but i understand your sentiments. it's a classic example of the stones trying to sound like the stones rather than just writing and performing music without calculation....

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: April 8, 2011 16:00

It's a great song. I remember 1994 going through sentimental turmoil and that song kinda spoke to me. I like the music too. Some people don't dig it, fine. I like it very much myself. In 2006 they played it in Baltimore and it was a nice surprise to hear it live; a fantastic show by the way. The Rolling Stones are great!!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 8, 2011 16:04

StonesTod
Mathijs
Thricenay
Mathijs
Thricenay

Mathijs

Mathijs

i won't go that far, but i understand your sentiments. it's a classic example of the stones trying to sound like the stones rather than just writing and performing music without calculation....

Yeah, I agree (being the most dreadful is a close between VOODOO and A BIGGER BANG). I think "Love Is Strong" is a perfect example of the nature of the album and what is wrong with it. Theoretically all that is needed is there but in the end nothing really happens. No substance, no soul, no spirit, no point, just a 'perfect' form. A pastishe. I think VOODOO LOUNGE and especially "Love Is Strong" underestimates the taste of their listeners and fans. Especially the ones with whom they are gone all these yaers together with many kinds of musical adventures (and who know to what kind of unncompromised heights these guys are able to reach). Every choice in a song/album sounds too obvious and cheap to make a certain impression. And every musical idea sounds sketchy, demo-like not bothered to develop any further. The Stones trying to sound like the Stones but not wasting any energy. But I never have been a fan of cheap copies when there are originals.

In retrospect I need to say that VOODOO LOUNGE marked the end of the passion I had for the 'current' Stones, and I somehow lost the faith. It's been like that ever since. For that reason I didn't even bought BRIDGES TO BABYLON when it was released. Just borrowed my friend's copy (and I found it as uninspiring product as VOODOO). I have mine now, and I rate it much higher than VOODOO LOUNGE but for years I couldn't see the difference - and couldn't care less.

On yeah, I need to admit that I was fascinated the sound of "Love Is Strong" from the very first listen... but that fascination disappeared VERY quickly after few listenings. Same with the album.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-08 16:17 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 8, 2011 16:18

Guess I'm in the minority who ranks their nineties output very highly. I understand and agree to an extent that their solo work in the early nineties is more honest and free of compromise, but felt they melded together well. Overall I'll take the two studio tracks on FLASHPOINT along with MAIN OFFENDER, WANDERING SPIRIT, VOODOO LOUNGE, and BRIDGES TO BABYLON any day.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: April 8, 2011 16:25

last really great stones track! love the vibe and the tempo. cant think of any other stones song that sounds similar!

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: April 8, 2011 16:28

Doxa

I have mine now, and I rate it much higher than VOODOO LOUNGE but for years I couldn't see the difference - and couldn't care less.

The reason I rate BTB as the best one of the late Stones era is that at least they were open to do something new, soundwise and productionwise. Trying out something new and working with new/actual influences was always a sign of quality right from the start. There are great moments on VL and BB, but at least they only wanted to sound like retro-Stones, but they can do better.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: April 8, 2011 17:12

I'm in the camp that finds LIS the last song with real menace in it. And menace was at the heart of most of the Stones' great songs.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 8, 2011 17:54

"Love Is Strong" is a good song. The last great Stones song? No, that honour goes to an even later recording. My nominee for that are "She Saw Me Coming" and "Dangerous Beauty", but these never were singles. I have a soft spot for "Don't Stop", but you people on the board may not agree.

Date: April 8, 2011 18:10

I like "Don't Stop" a lot and also thought "Rain Fall Down" and "Plundered My Soul" were very good singles.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 8, 2011 18:10

electricmud
The reason I rate BTB as the best one of the late Stones era is that at least they were open to do something new, soundwise and productionwise. Trying out something new and working with new/actual influences was always a sign of quality right from the start. There are great moments on VL and BB, but at least they only wanted to sound like retro-Stones, but they can do better.

Yes, on BTB they did try "new" things and were far more open to modern influences than on VL, too bad the songwriting wasn't very good on either album.

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: April 8, 2011 18:16

Rocky Dijon
I like "Don't Stop" a lot and also thought "Rain Fall Down" and "Plundered My Soul" were very good singles.

I liked "Rain Fall Down" too. Good atmospheric stuff.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 8, 2011 18:44

Love is Strong...a very good Stones tune, in my opinion, almost surprisingly so for the time it was written, lyrically and melodically, imo,
The video isn't too shabby either!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 8, 2011 18:46

StonesTod
i liked it better as keith's wicked as it seems....

Agree.

What kills the Stones' version is the bass. Probably Darryl's only contribution that I truly don't like.

C

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 8, 2011 18:52

electricmud
Doxa

I have mine now, and I rate it much higher than VOODOO LOUNGE but for years I couldn't see the difference - and couldn't care less.

"best of the late Stones era" is faint praise, and trying out something new doesn't necessarily mean trying out something good.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 8, 2011 19:09

I love it, and have been listening to it a lot lately. I like the lyrics, including "Your love is bitter/It's taken neat."

The song's approach reminds me of the Cramps' HUMAN FLY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-08 19:11 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: April 8, 2011 19:26

StonesTod
crumbling_mice
Harsh words Tod !

sounds like a song a stones fan would like, i know. i liked it better as keith's wicked as it seems....

me too

Posted by: Bol ()
Date: April 8, 2011 19:32

Love Is Strong was NME single of the week when it came out in 1994. This rag was not the greatest supporter of the Rolling Stones post punk, so it was surprise to see it ahead of the usual NME fodder. I still have the review somewhere

Date: April 8, 2011 19:54

Doxa
StonesTod
Mathijs
Thricenay
Mathijs
Thricenay

Mathijs

Mathijs

Yeah, I agree (being the most dreadful is a close between VOODOO and A BIGGER BANG). I think "Love Is Strong" is a perfect example of the nature of the album and what is wrong with it. Theoretically all that is needed is there but in the end nothing really happens. No substance, no soul, no spirit, no point, just a 'perfect' form. A pastishe. I think VOODOO LOUNGE and especially "Love Is Strong" underestimates the taste of their listeners and fans. Especially the ones with whom they are gone all these yaers together with many kinds of musical adventures (and who know to what kind of unncompromised heights these guys are able to reach). Every choice in a song/album sounds too obvious and cheap to make a certain impression. And every musical idea sounds sketchy, demo-like not bothered to develop any further. The Stones trying to sound like the Stones but not wasting any energy. But I never have been a fan of cheap copies when there are originals.

In retrospect I need to say that VOODOO LOUNGE marked the end of the passion I had for the 'current' Stones, and I somehow lost the faith. It's been like that ever since. For that reason I didn't even bought BRIDGES TO BABYLON when it was released. Just borrowed my friend's copy (and I found it as uninspiring product as VOODOO). I have mine now, and I rate it much higher than VOODOO LOUNGE but for years I couldn't see the difference - and couldn't care less.

On yeah, I need to admit that I was fascinated the sound of "Love Is Strong" from the very first listen... but that fascination disappeared VERY quickly after few listenings. Same with the album.

- Doxa

If Love Is Strong is a song where "nothing really happens", that tune Goes in the same direction as several other classics. Like SFTD, HTW, JJF, BS etc. etc.

IMO, that's not a very logical musical argument. The Stones are different. For Christ sake, Shake Your Hips is a fantastic song. It leads absolutely nowhere, but the roll, the groove, the swing is obvious.

IMO, it's the same case with LIS. A nice groove, a nice hook, good sound, good vocals. Simply the best single since SMU, another song that leads nowhere winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-08 19:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 8, 2011 20:01

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
StonesTod
Mathijs
Thricenay
Mathijs
Thricenay

Mathijs

Mathijs

- Doxa

If Love Is Strong is a song where "nothing really happens", that tune Goes in the same direction as several other classics. Like SFTD, HTW, JJF, BS etc. etc.

IMO, that's not a very logical musical argument. The Stones are different. For Christ sake, Shake Your Hips is a fantastic song. It leads absolutely nowhere, but the roll, the groove, the swing is obvious.

IMO, it's the same case with LIS. A nice groove, a nice hook, good sound, good vocals. Simply the best single since SMU, another song that leads nowhere winking smiley

LIS on a par with those classics? really? man....i just don't know my stones like i thought i did.

seriously - the prob is that LIS tries to go somewhere, but fails, leaving the listener (this one, anyway) feeling a letdown...in old-school parlance...there's no payoff....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 8, 2011 20:05

I like LIS, I Go Wild, and Brand New Car.

Maybe I should go to a site for Stones fans. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: April 8, 2011 20:09

one of the probs with many/most latter era stones songs - certainly evident on LIS - is that they sound contrived...they sound "conscious and calculated."

the best songs are those sound like they wrote themselves.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: April 8, 2011 20:09

Title5Take1
I love it, and have been listening to it a lot lately. I like the lyrics, including "Your love is bitter/It's taken neat."

The song's approach reminds me of the Cramps' HUMAN FLY

Brilliant T5T1 That's probably the world's second greatest RNR band. cool smiley

Date: April 8, 2011 20:11

cramps are second only to the trots....

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 8, 2011 21:18

Tod made a good point, Love is Strong, is very similar to Wicked As It Seems, never realised this previously, but went back and had another serious listen and you are on the mark with that at least. Don't agree with the comments about it being a weak song...think how many times they have played the warhorses, if they had played LIS a few more nights I'm sure it would have gelled into something resembling a classic stones live song

Date: April 8, 2011 21:32

crumbling_mice
Tod made a good point, Love is Strong, is very similar to Wicked As It Seems, never realised this previously, but went back and had another serious listen and you are on the mark with that at least. Don't agree with the comments about it being a weak song...think how many times they have played the warhorses, if they had played LIS a few more nights I'm sure it would have gelled into something resembling a classic stones live song

Why is LIS similar to Wicked As It Seems, apart from the first G/A change in the intro. I've always wondered why people say that???

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 8, 2011 21:35

Doxa
StonesTod
Mathijs
Thricenay
Mathijs
Thricenay

Mathijs

Mathijs

- Doxa

Same here. It was the last album I bought, it kinda killed the magic flow they had.

Date: April 8, 2011 21:41

StonesTod
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
StonesTod
Mathijs
Thricenay
Mathijs
Thricenay

Mathijs

Mathijs

- Doxa

LIS on a par with those classics? really? man....i just don't know my stones like i thought i did.

seriously - the prob is that LIS tries to go somewhere, but fails, leaving the listener (this one, anyway) feeling a letdown...in old-school parlance...there's no payoff....

I didn't say that, Tod. If you read my post, I just can't accept the argument that the songs is no good because "nothing happens" or "it doesn't lead anywhere". Simply because that's the case with a lot of stones tunes. They are still great, imo.

IMO, that shows how important the signature sound and the groove is with the Stones. Many of the classics aren't recognised mainly because of the songwriting. It's the playing and the unique sound that make the songs great.

Where is Winter leading? What happens in Jiving Sister Fanny? What's exciting about Dancing With Mr. D? Why do we love Little Queenie from Ya Ya's.

This captures what the Stones is all about, imo. The sound and the groove. I can't see why this isn't as relevant for Love Is Strong as well.

I think it was a good single.

Date: April 8, 2011 21:50

While I enjoy the studio version, I don't think it ever really worked live. Probably the best sounding version was their appearance on a VH-1 Awards Show. To be honest, they've stumbled on getting many new songs to gell in concert. The exceptions are pretty much the ones that made it on NO SECURITY. Trouble is too many concert-goers don't want to hear tracks cut after the early eighties. A group that apparently includes a lot of ouur own number here.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1647
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home