Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: The Sunday 26th August 2007 thread
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 5, 2011 19:33

georgeV
I do know one thing, I was next to someone I know who knows Keith and his wife quite well, she visits with them a fair bit and is back stage whenever she goes to a show. When Keith was playing, she was quite emotional: She said to me that she couldn't believe she was seeing Keith for the last time. Given that she is a friend of theirs, I took this to mean that he must have said something or Pattie had.

Interesting,

Its quite probable that by the time the tour ended, Keith & Patti both knew that she was already seriously ill.

This article would certainly suggest that this was the case :

[www.medpagetoday.com]

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 5, 2011 21:32

Silver Dagger
And Tim - you win the prize for the most original use of spectacles in the history of rock'n'roll at those shows! >grinning smiley<

Did you see me with my remote video lense attached to my glasses? Or how do you know this?

plex

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 5, 2011 21:33

JordiStones
timbernardis
And finally, after the third show, there was the scene outside the Savoy and the joint around the corner where the band members and supporting cast were coming and going (again the name of the place escapes me) for the end of the tour party.

The place is called Simsons

Isn't it Simpsons with a p?

p

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: April 5, 2011 21:38

I was there for the last night only. Glorious summer day in London--actually felt a bit too bright and clear and healthy, somehow, for rock'n'roll. But the scene at the Pilot was fun and I felt lucky to have a few minutes with Rockman and Gazza and PaulyWaul at the Rattlesnake.

For me, the event was a bit of an anti-climax: I'd been to the opener at Fenway and it was on that dark, autumnal NYC night of Beacon #2 that I had taken a big gulp and tried to make peace with "the end of an era." So I was a bit surprised to be at the O2 and having yet another "last" time. The show itself didn't feel at all monumental, though I seem to remember Mick briefly acknowledging that they had been all 'round the world and seen many of the fans turn up repeatedly. He had noted that people had come from everywhere at Fenway #1 and on both occasions the comments seemed to me to be very kind and very gracious. It was if we was taking stock of the power and the reach of this phenomenon they had launched so many moons ago. Keith did a bit of the patented mumbling before his vocal turn and wrapped it up with "...we'll see you again." Which goes, I think, to SomeTorontoGirl's astute take on things: As tired as the band was, they were reluctant to let it all go and to even contemplate the possibility that it might be ending then and there. And if only to avoid grappling with that finality, they actually did think that more would be coming.

Now, of course, 2007 has receded a bit. And it seems ever more likely that one or all of them has concluded that the odds are stacked against them being able to be "the Rolling Stones" in the way that we expect them to be (including, of course, a record-setting gross). And that, for that huge reason--along with the old conflicts, and the health concerns, and the time spent away from home--they are better off just leaving well enough alone.

I hope I'm wrong, of course, but I really don't want to see them fall on their faces. Perhaps it's best just to let it go...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 5, 2011 23:44

timbernardis
Silver Dagger
And Tim - you win the prize for the most original use of spectacles in the history of rock'n'roll at those shows! >grinning smiley<

Did you see me with my remote video lense attached to my glasses? Or how do you know this?

plex

I saw the your photo on the FBI file list. America's Most Wanted.

Posted by: neilly43 ()
Date: April 5, 2011 23:50

Pauly firstly like others have said thanks for putting such a thought provoking thread in front of us. I only went to the 1st night and had a great time, Met with a few of you at the Pilot Inn (Gazza, Pauly, Mr Jimmy etc) and then wandered down to the O2. Said confidently and a bit smugly to the daughter of a friend who had come with us "No they won;t play your favourite Beast of Burden as they haven't all tour" only for them to burst into it! Credibility quickly bust! Anyway no-one knows for sure what their plans are. I don't know if they know themselves. It would be staggering if they did decide to have another go at a tour considering their respective ages. Its quite nice not to know whether there will be another show - there is always hope. But lets just be grateful for all the pleasure they have and still continue to give to us all. You never know tomorrow maybe the day that they announce a new album and world tourwinking smiley.....

I am just living to be dying by your side... Ok it maybe "lying by your side" but it works better like this!

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: April 6, 2011 00:06

Rev. Robert W.
I was there for the last night only. Glorious summer day in London--actually felt a bit too bright and clear and healthy, somehow, for rock'n'roll. But the scene at the Pilot was fun and I felt lucky to have a few minutes with Rockman and Gazza and PaulyWaul at the Rattlesnake.

For me, the event was a bit of an anti-climax: I'd been to the opener at Fenway and it was on that dark, autumnal NYC night of Beacon #2 that I had taken a big gulp and tried to make peace with "the end of an era." So I was a bit surprised to be at the O2 and having yet another "last" time. The show itself didn't feel at all monumental, though I seem to remember Mick briefly acknowledging that they had been all 'round the world and seen many of the fans turn up repeatedly. He had noted that people had come from everywhere at Fenway #1 and on both occasions the comments seemed to me to be very kind and very gracious. It was if we was taking stock of the power and the reach of this phenomenon they had launched so many moons ago. Keith did a bit of the patented mumbling before his vocal turn and wrapped it up with "...we'll see you again." Which goes, I think, to SomeTorontoGirl's astute take on things: As tired as the band was, they were reluctant to let it all go and to even contemplate the possibility that it might be ending then and there. And if only to avoid grappling with that finality, they actually did think that more would be coming.

Now, of course, 2007 has receded a bit. And it seems ever more likely that one or all of them has concluded that the odds are stacked against them being able to be "the Rolling Stones" in the way that we expect them to be (including, of course, a record-setting gross). And that, for that huge reason--along with the old conflicts, and the health concerns, and the time spent away from home--they are better off just leaving well enough alone.

I hope I'm wrong, of course, but I really don't want to see them fall on their faces. Perhaps it's best just to let it go...

Great post,Robert

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: April 6, 2011 00:49

yep, I was there. Drove from Holland and back just for the evening. I didn't think it was going to be the last show but the possibility crossed my mind. It was a great sunny day. Nervous if the guy with my ticket would show up, I was very early. Hooked up with the seller prior to the event and got my 10th row ticket. I still have the slippers which I was purchasing at the merchandise stand as Start me Up already kicked in on time.

One of the best shows I'd ever seen.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: April 6, 2011 01:10

I don't think the band thought it w/be the last ever show (despite the family on stage for the finale) as if so by now it'd have slipped out into common knowledge.

That said, with each passing summer, the chances of a new/final tour are slipping away...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 6, 2011 02:32

paulywaul
Rolling Hansie
treaclefingers
or Keith's book that may have left us with that impression?

Keith book has not left me with that impression, so .....

And neither did anything in particular that Keith had to say during the interminable rounds of interviews he did as part of the book promo. He acknowledged they'd had differences in the past, that's hardly a revelation in itself. Compare those comments of his to some of the wilder views and theories about band-member relationships that have been posted on this board.

I don't know what book you were reading, but perhaps it was a different issue than mine. He did say a few positive things about Mick, but there were far too many negative observationsand putdowns and the whole vibe towards Mick being negative. Putting him down for taking vocal lessons...Keith should play guitar if he is still able (which I think is the bigger issue and supports the 'naysayers' argument)

I believe Keith burned some bridges to babylon in his book. Might be reparable but I do believe that had that book not come out, I'd already have joined the fan club, for the third time, just to ensure I'd be able to get a good ticket once they went onsale for my city.

As it stands, there are big question marks, and anyone saying "done deal" right now is clueless.

I'm onboard for a new tour and album, but I have doubts...I hope it all works out.

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: April 6, 2011 03:15

I was there and thought it was a great night. Had some great seats near the stage and remember really enjoying the show. I did think it might be the last ever Stones show so had a feeling of happiness mixed with a little sadness but I hope I'm wrong and they do another tour.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: April 6, 2011 04:03

I was there for the second and third shows. To me, the second show was hot. The third show had some great memorable moments but when it was over I thought, ok.

The trip from Chicago was made better by Little Queenie's hospitality, SomeTorontoGirl's enthusiasm, 3D's cool art show (and Stella), and that great night at the King's Head with Pauly, Manofwealthandtaste, Beast, and a good-bye kiss from a certain someone!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 6, 2011 04:38

IrelandCalling4
I was there at that 3rd show in London and look back on it with great fondness!

What a weekend - Prince at the 02 on the Saturday, and the Stones the following day. Had some of the best ever seated tickets thanks to SomeTorontoGirl - 8th row if I recall correctly - and thought the show incredible! Enjoyed every minute of it and still look at the DVD fairly regularly to reminisce on what a great day it was (the pub beforehand meeting so many other fans, and the wicked party afterward in Charing Cross Road!)

7th row, actually! I'll never score tickets that good again. And wicked party indeed - I was so exhausted I slept through the Prince concert 2 nights later.

inopeng
The trip from Chicago was made better by Little Queenie's hospitality, SomeTorontoGirl's enthusiasm,

Blush!

inopeng
3D's cool art show

inopeng
(and Stella), and that great night at the King's Head with Pauly, Manofwealthandtaste, Beast, and a good-bye kiss from a certain someone!

Explains why I never heard from you in Paris? A nice afternoon with a great group of people in Chelsea, Cheyne Walk and an interesting neighbourhood bistro. Good memories, aren't they? Are you still in Chicago?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 6, 2011 04:57

Thanks for posting 3Ds pic, STG, brings back great memories, alrighty!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 6, 2011 06:16

angee
Thanks for posting 3Ds pic, STG, brings back great memories, alrighty!

Chicago, London, New York... we have to stop meeting like that!

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: April 6, 2011 15:22

Thanks for the mention, you all. I'm very flattered! Thanks, too, for your love and support. xo

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: April 6, 2011 16:02

I was there and I didn't get the "this is the end" feeling I'm getting right now reading your posts. I do hope to see them again but can't help feeling a bit nostalgic.

I remember the whole day very vividly, lunch in Camden and I remember the hours before the show that we spent at the Pilot Inn. I can see the guy playing the guitar on the grass and nearing showtime when we started walking to the O2, all this emotions and exitment.

Thanks for sharing your day,that Sunday 26th August 2007.

I'm ready to hit the road, I do hope the Stones are too.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 16, 2011 17:15

Thought I'd bring this thread back to life again. After all, listening to Mick's rather abrupt and "matter of fact" answers in this recent BBC Breakfast interview, it's not as if there's much cause for runaway optimism as regards a tour - or indeed even a handful of shows. At least not right at this moment in time anyway. Gulp ! I was kinda lookin' forward to seein' 'em "jus one more time" !

Yeah well ... whatever ! Ya never know, they might surprise us all yet !

Meanwhile, having seen all three of the O2 shows those four years ago, my vote for the one that had the edge on the others was number two. What a blinder that was ! The last was the worst, anti-climax or WHAT !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 16, 2011 17:23

paulywaul
The last was the worst, anti-climax or WHAT !!

I wonder how it was for them.

You'd think if they knew it was their last, that they would play their skinny asses off.
All the more reason to get back out there and finish it right!

Date: September 16, 2011 20:47

Edith Grove
paulywaul
The last was the worst, anti-climax or WHAT !!

I wonder how it was for them.

You'd think if they knew it was their last, that they would play their skinny asses off.
All the more reason to get back out there and finish it right!

<<< You'd think if they knew it was their last >>>

Can't imagine that whether it was or was not to be their last ever live show was even remotely in their thoughts when they hit that stage on 26/08/07, it was just a show ... one more bloody show !

What will be will be !

Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: September 16, 2011 21:16

I was there...and apologies my memory is somewhat a little blurry, a few pairs of pints were had. But i did remember them saying something like. 'a lot of people are saying this is the last time we will play...i wouldnt count on it..'
At least something along those lines from mick anyway. but times change, books are written, arthritis develops, new 'super' groups are formed....who knows...if it was the last ever show, im thankful I saw it...but without rose-tinted glasses or wishfull thinking taking over, I still think there is more to come, if its 5 shows or a full tour, they will cash in on 50 years. so I'm still fairly relaxed...if I was Micks PR guy, who may have been concerned with some of the empty seats on the ABB tour, the stuff mick is coming out with is exactly what I would be teaching him to say to gain more interest when a tour/gigs are finally announced.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 16, 2011 22:58

Ask yourself this: Would Mick say that they are going to tour next summer, or will he wait for the official announcement and the band to get in line and gear? They've done the latter since, what, 1989? Why shouldn't it be this time also. They've denied tours before only to go out the following year (Like in 2004).

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 17, 2011 18:34

I only ask myself one thing these days ... is it at all likely that all the rumours swirling around will eventually give way to an "official" announcement of sorts as regards a tour, a small number of performances, even a single performance - whatever ? So far the indications are that no, for the moment the rumours seem set to continue to swirl, there's f**k all indication of any kind of announcement forthcoming about the much touted "50th", so wtf ? I gotta say, in doing the rounds of interviews for Superheavy, haven't seen MJ quite SO eager to deflect any and every question about the Stones and what their plans may/may not be in a very long time. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah well .... !

Date: September 17, 2011 22:27

Do you think Mick is the type to say no to a Stones tour just because he's constantly asked about it, or
do you think he might finally give in a put on a tour after getting the message that many people would like to see it?

Date: September 17, 2011 22:36

paulywaul
jimpietryga1
I had to be at the last show....for now......

Truly super photo, thanks for posting

does anyone know who all these little girls are?

Date: September 17, 2011 22:38

Palace Revolution 2000

Daughters, and perhaps granddaughters of the band.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 17, 2011 23:34

Palace Revolution 2000

Noelle Chaplin, Georgia Jagger, some of Bill's daughters, Charlie's granddaughter, and Leah Wood.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 18, 2011 00:14

paulywaul
I only ask myself one thing these days ... is it at all likely that all the rumours swirling around will eventually give way to an "official" announcement of sorts as regards a tour, a small number of performances, even a single performance - whatever ? So far the indications are that no, for the moment the rumours seem set to continue to swirl, there's f**k all indication of any kind of announcement forthcoming about the much touted "50th", so wtf ? I gotta say, in doing the rounds of interviews for Superheavy, haven't seen MJ quite SO eager to deflect any and every question about the Stones and what their plans may/may not be in a very long time. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah well .... !

Pauly - the Stones will be touring in 2012.

Theres no indication 'forthcoming' for the sole reason that it's only September 2011, and there never IS this far in advance.

I honestly cant see what the anxiety is all about here.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 18, 2011 00:58

Seems like everyone is out looking for the sun.
Singing rain & pain on he who hesitates.
But it will shine when it shines.
You might think I am waisting time.
but I am just a good old boy thats learned to wait.
Yes i am just a good old boy thats learned to wait.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-18 01:03 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 18, 2011 02:50

Gazza
paulywaul

I honestly cant see what the anxiety is all about here.
What we do.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2127
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home