Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Shows which highlight Ron Wood's playing
Posted by: PammyB ()
Date: April 1, 2011 16:18

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any live recordings (commercial or boot) where Ron has really shone?

I have read a lot of threads about Mick T and how good he is (was) and also threads supporting Ron but I can't find any threads which state specific shows where Ron does an impressive job playing.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

Re: Shows which highlight Ron Wood's playing
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 1, 2011 16:20

Ronnie is always incredible good. Pick up anything with Stones or Faces...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: April 1, 2011 16:24

I'm drawing a blank.

Posted by: dancingmisterd ()
Date: April 1, 2011 16:32

There was this show in 1972 . . . no, I mean, the 1971 Leeds . . . oops, I meant the 1973 Honolulu . . . whoops

Maybe not. That Blondie is okay, though.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 1, 2011 16:34

On Stripped and Stripped Compagnion RW plays very good, another highlight is the Tokyo 1990 Dvd. Guitarwise Gimme Some Neck and Now look are his best soloalbums. His slidework on Out of Tears is good and on Break the Spell and Pretty Beat Up his bassplaying swings.

Date: April 1, 2011 16:45

Hold On Tight, MSG, NY, June 27, 1976
Handsome Girls, Detroit, 1978
Hampton, 1981

And of course his second Ambassador's show, which is out on his box set now!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 1, 2011 17:08

I can't think of one.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 1, 2011 17:27

Handsome Girls.

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: April 1, 2011 19:26

None

Date: April 1, 2011 19:41

windmelody
On Stripped and Stripped Compagnion RW plays very good, another highlight is the Tokyo 1990 Dvd. Guitarwise Gimme Some Neck and Now look are his best soloalbums. His slidework on Out of Tears is good and on Break the Spell and Pretty Beat Up his bassplaying swings.

Keith plays bass on Pretty Beat Up. Agree on Break The Spell.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 1, 2011 19:52

Anyway I don't think the Ron Wood-era live shows are meant to be a showcase for lead guitar playing, those were the Taylor-era ones. Maybe that's why many people can't seem to think of one show. Hampton 81' is a fantastic gig, where everyone plays great, including Ronnie.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 1, 2011 19:54

stones78
Anyway I don't think the Ron Wood-era live shows are meant to be a showcase for lead guitar playing, those were the Taylor-era ones. Maybe that's why many people can't seem to think of one show. Hampton 81' is a fantastic gig, where everyone plays great, including Ronnie.

I agree completely thumbs up

Date: April 1, 2011 20:58

stones78

Apart from the 75/76 tours, that is. Wood had even longer solos on YCAGWYW than Taylor back then.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: April 1, 2011 22:54

none!

Date: April 1, 2011 23:58

Big Al
stones78

I agree completely thumbs up

Not lead guitar playing, just Rolling Stones guitar playing. I have seen many shows where Ronnie was "ok", "adequate", "not as bad as I expected" or even "good", but in my opinion he has never "shone" with this band. For that you need to go back to the Faces.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: April 2, 2011 01:24

71Tele
Not lead guitar playing, just Rolling Stones guitar playing. I have seen many shows where Ronnie was "ok", "adequate", "not as bad as I expected" or even "good", but in my opinion he has never "shone" with this band. For that you need to go back to the Faces.

I think I saw a copy of Plynth on eBay earlier . . . .

Posted by: hedegaard ()
Date: April 2, 2011 02:47

71Tele
I can't think of one.

Ohh - didnt he played with "the Donald Duck Allstars" some years ago?
As I recall he was doing a great performance, standing on one leg, with a Jack Daniels in he,s right hand, and one smoke in his left, while he was trying to sing
"Whiskey In The Jar" with 3 smokes in his mouth? I belive it was his best - a one in a lifetime - performance!

eye popping smileythumbs downgrinning smiley

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: April 2, 2011 02:53

Well there was Oct. 3 1981, they played Neighbors and Ronnie did get off a lot more than a little. I was 50 feet from the stage on the field U. of Colorado football stadium. I was starting to shroom, I told him after the number 'get it on Ronnie Wood' and he picked up a drink off the top of the amp and saluted me. I'd say the motherf*cker was jammin that day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-02 02:54 by Brue.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: April 2, 2011 03:56

Date: April 2, 2011 04:54

hedegaard
71Tele
I can't think of one.

Ohh - didnt he played with "the Donald Duck Allstars" some years ago?
As I recall he was doing a great performance, standing on one leg, with a Jack Daniels in he,s right hand, and one smoke in his left, while he was trying to sing
"Whiskey In The Jar" with 3 smokes in his mouth? I belive it was his best - a one in a lifetime - performance!

eye popping smileythumbs downgrinning smiley

Sorry, I assumed from the original post it just referred to Stones shows. If that isn't correct, I saw a couple of Faces shows where he did indeed, shine.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 2, 2011 04:58

Handsome Girls is superb and Ronnie really is playing his ass off on it.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: April 2, 2011 06:44

When the Whip Comes Down from Detroit 1978 is one of my faves...by a mile actually.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 2, 2011 13:09

As I am of the opinion that musically the '75 to '83 period is a much more interesting period musically, I think about every '75 to '81 show is a highlight of the work of Ron Wood. Not so much as a lead player, but as a part of the group. I think the weaving between Richards, Wood and Wyman, backed by a better than ever Watts and fronted by top of his game Jagger, yielded a much more interesting band than ever before (with the exception maybe of the '66 - '68 Stones).

Mathijs

Date: April 2, 2011 13:56

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 2, 2011 14:04

Often during the 75/76 shows, sometimes 89/90 (esp. Gimme Shelter), sometimes 94/95 (esp. Beast of Burden).

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: April 2, 2011 17:06

I've always been a fan of Ronnie's playing on the HBO/MSG Jan. '03 show. "Knockin'" and "Rambler" come to mind.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2181
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home